Civitavecchia (port) // Rome by Train 2024: Your questions answered here!

euro cruiser

9 hours ago, euro cruiser said:

I can't answer when they'll get around to a decision on whether or not to continue the CE after the schedule change.

Is there a reason you're focused on this particular train?

With young kids, and want them to have a seat and not worry about getting crowded.

Edited by romi

That makes sense but you can accomplish the goal of getting seats without the Civitavecchia Express.  The only issue is that you'd have to go to Termini station.  There is a Frecce train, which has assigned seats and tickets you can purchase in advance, at a discount, departing Civitavecchia at 9:16 (Monday through Friday) and arrives to Termini at 10:06.

On 3/4/2023 at 3:49 AM, euro cruiser said:

That makes sense but you can accomplish the goal of getting seats without the Civitavecchia Express.  The only issue is that you'd have to go to Termini station.  There is a Frecce train, which has assigned seats and tickets you can purchase in advance, at a discount, departing Civitavecchia at 9:16 (Monday through Friday) and arrives to Termini at 10:06.

Thanks for this info. How is it navigating the Termini station to the subway? I might just go with this option. And do all the trains at Civi leave from the same place, or do I need to look for a different entrance at the station?

Everything leaves from the same place at Civitavecchia, so that's easy.

Once off the train at Termini you'll see signs for the metro, just follow them.  There are two lines that meet at Termini, so you'll need to know which one you want to get on, and which direction.  Metro directions are given by the last stop on the line (for example, line A, direction Battistini would take you to the Vatican, while line B, direction Laurentia would take you to the Colosseum).

Where are you headed first?

Here is the map of Rome metro and regional trains:  mappa ferro e tram (giu 2022) (atac.roma.it)

1 hour ago, euro cruiser said:

Everything leaves from the same place at Civitavecchia, so that's easy.

Once off the train at Termini you'll see signs for the metro, just follow them.  There are two lines that meet at Termini, so you'll need to know which one you want to get on, and which direction.  Metro directions are given by the last stop on the line (for example, line A, direction Battistini would take you to the Vatican, while line B, direction Laurentia would take you to the Colosseum).

Where are you headed first?

Here is the map of Rome metro and regional trains:  mappa ferro e tram (giu 2022) (atac.roma.it)

The Colosseum 🙂 Thanks!

• Host Bonjour changed the title to Civitavecchia (port) to Rome by Train 2023: Your questions answered here!

Hi all! Hope this question is okay, even though it involves going the other direction. We are boarding our cruise in Civitavecchia on June 12. We will have been staying near the Trevi Fountain in Rome leading up to the cruise. I either want to take the Frecci train from Rome to Civitavecchia, or a private transfer. Can you correct me if I'm confused about any of this info?

• Option 1: Take a Frecci train (can have assigned seats) from Rome Termini to Civi. Would involve getting ourselves to Rome Termini with luggage, taking the train, then taking either a taxi to port (would this be doable for a family of 5 with luggage?), or taking a bus, then a shuttle or walking to our ship.
  • Option 2: Take a private or shared transfer, leaning toward Rome in Limo or Civitavecchia Shuttle Express.

I'm leaning toward just taking the shuttle so we don't have to deal with so many modes of transportation getting there, as I feel like my husband's anxiety would be absolutely through the roof to the point where it would not be pleasant. But open to people telling me that the train option would be easy and smooth with 5 people and luggage? Thanks for any input!

I could not, in all honesty, describe the train route as "easy and smooth", especially for a first timer using the trains.

It's not difficult but it is cumbersome, with so many different segments (taxi, train, taxi or bus).  Add luggage and keeping your family together and attitude becomes important.  Anxiety would not be a good addition to the situation.

I once moved from Rome to Venice with three adults and one child and a month's worth of luggage, but it was really two adults because the third one had to be fully focused on the child, leaving the two of us to do everything else.  It worked out but it wasn't smooth or easy.

On 3/10/2023 at 2:21 PM, euro cruiser said:

I could not, in all honesty, describe the train route as "easy and smooth", especially for a first timer using the trains.

It's not difficult but it is cumbersome, with so many different segments (taxi, train, taxi or bus).  Add luggage and keeping your family together and attitude becomes important.  Anxiety would not be a good addition to the situation.

I once moved from Rome to Venice with three adults and one child and a month's worth of luggage, but it was really two adults because the third one had to be fully focused on the child, leaving the two of us to do everything else.  It worked out but it wasn't smooth or easy.

Thank you, I appreciate the advice. Do you happen to know where private transfers typically drop you off? Do you still have to catch a shuttle or a bus, or does it take you close to the ships? Thank you!

Make sure when you reserve a private transfer that they can enter the port.  If they can, they can drop you off right at the ship or the terminal, whichever is appropriate in your situation.  All of the providers typically mentioned on these boards can do that.

• Host Bonjour changed the title to Civitavecchia (port) // Rome by Train 2023: Your questions answered here!
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi! First time cruising in the Med/from Rome. From recent info (https://civitavecchia.portmobility.it/en/shuttles) it appears that there's now a shuttle option that goes directly from the train station to the cruise terminals (skipping the bus -> shuttle switch). I've seen videos of people using this service but is anyone here able to verify it?

Like the poster above me, I'll be departing on June 12 and am weighing a 11:57am Frecci train vs. using private transfer. Our cruise leaves at 3:45pm and I'd want to squeeze in a little more Rome sightseeing that morning but also not spread ourselves too thin.

Yes, I know of people who used this service, although I think 6 Euro (one way) is sort of robbery compared to the 2.50 Euro (one way) the former Largo della Pace - Train Station bus was.

I think the BIRG ticket is still 12 Euro and that´s a day ticket for the train to Rome plus public transportation there.

steamboats

aka Carmen

Yes, it exists but there have been reports that it isn't available for every embarkation, so I would plan on it but have a backup in mind just in case.  That pretty much means either the bus to Largo della Pace, followed by the free port shuttle, or a taxi.

It also depends on where your ship is berthed, the mega ships that use #25 aren't serviced by the same buses as the other berths.

Edited by euro cruiser

Hi,

Does anyone know when the tickets for the Civitavecchia Express for 2023 will become available on the Trenitalia website? I'm trying to buy for June 21, 2023 but the option for Civitavecchia Express does not seem available.

Thank you,
Don

Trenitalia does a system wide update twice each year, in December and June.  Regional trains, a category which includes the Civitavecchia Express, will be the last trains loaded into the system.

At any rate, the CE has not been such a success that you need to buy tickets so far in advance.  There is no financial benefit to advance purchase, the fare for this special train does not vary.

This came up on another thread but I thought I'd repost it here, since this is about the train to Civitavecchia.

You can now buy the bus ticket from the Civitavecchia station to the cruise port when you buy your train ticket.  Simply choose "Civitavecchia Porto" as your destination rather than Civitavecchia.  

The price is the same for the bus (6 euro, more than the entire train ride from Rome!) whether you buy it from Trenitalia or buy it on the bus, so the only difference is the convenience of not fishing around for cash on the bus.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, euro cruiser said:

Trenitalia does a system wide update twice each year, in December and June.  Regional trains, a category which includes the Civitavecchia Express, will be the last trains loaded into the system.

At any rate, the CE has not been such a success that you need to buy tickets so far in advance.  There is no financial benefit to advance purchase, the fare for this special train does not vary.

Thank you. So, I will not be able to buy tickets for the CE until June? 

I really want to buy tickets for the CE not only because it's fast and cheap, but also because of the stops. I like the fact that it goes straight to San Pietro station (Vatican area) where I'd like to get off on the morning and then take it back to the cruise port from Roma Ostiense. This is very convenient for me. 

23 hours ago, dinekani said:

Thank you. So, I will not be able to buy tickets for the CE until June? 

I really want to buy tickets for the CE not only because it's fast and cheap, but also because of the stops. I like the fact that it goes straight to San Pietro station (Vatican area) where I'd like to get off on the morning and then take it back to the cruise port from Roma Ostiense. This is very convenient for me. 

That routing worked well for us as well; board to SanPietro, return from Ostiense.

We bought our tickets at a little shop at Civi Station.  There was a line of people trying to use the ticket machine outside the station and I noticed a sign at the shop saying "we sell tickets, RT only". Same price. So we bought RT Ostiense but hopped off early at SP.  

There were very people on the train, less than a dozen in our car, coming and going. It was great!

On 4/1/2023 at 3:33 PM, euro cruiser said:

You can now buy the bus ticket from the Civitavecchia station to the cruise port when you buy your train ticket.  Simply choose "Civitavecchia Porto" as your destination rather than Civitavecchia. 

I tried this search through the Trenitalia website (selecting Civi PORTO) but did not get a result. Am I missing anything?

By the way, I did the chat with Trenitalia last night and they told me they would update the entire system for the summer schedule by April 15 (take it with a grain of salt, but it was the first time they gave a firm date--and I've asked a few times since January).

I suspect that you are looking at a date too far in the future.  I just did a pass using tomorrow's date and had no problem getting solutions that include the train and the bus.

Are you on the web site or the app?  I don't bother with the app and so can't answer any questions about that.

4 hours ago, euro cruiser said:

I suspect that you are looking at a date too far in the future.  I just did a pass using tomorrow's date and had no problem getting solutions that include the train and the bus.

Are you on the web site or the app?  I don't bother with the app and so can't answer any questions about that.

Oh, you're right. I was checking for June (which already has the fast train schedule but not the regional trains). I tried for next week and see the buses there. They sure are pricey when you factor per-person...

Would you recommend getting a taxi instead? Or sticking to the bus?

IF you can get a taxi to take you it will be at least 25 euro to travel a little more than a mile.  Be sure they will take you all the way to the terminal or ship and not just drop you at the shuttle bus stop.  For that price they ought to provide a song and dance as well, but they won't.

The bus is expensive, it's more than the cost of the train from Rome to Civitavecchia.  The price is the same 6 euro whether you buy the ticket on board the bus or from Trenitalia.  However, they have a captive audience and very few cabs willing to make the trip, so ...

• Like 1