Civitavecchia (port) // Rome by Train 2024: Your questions answered here!

euro cruiser

Lots of information here, but I'm rather embarrassed to admit that I am finding it difficult to work it out!!  Would some kind soul take pity on me and talk me through from getting off the gangplank to Rome and back.  DH and myself are wanting to be at the Ponte Fabricio, which is the start of a walk that I have found that takes in the Jewish Ghetto.

I doubt the walk will take too long and where would you suggest we visit after the walk that would leave us within walking distance of a station to take us back to the ship?

The walk itself shows as finishing not far from the Carmelite Convent. 

Thank you so much and forever in your debt.

Okay, I'll take a stab at it.

Step one is to get from the ship to the train station.  If you're not in a rush you can take the free port shuttle bus to the Largo della Pace exit.  The drop off point is one mile on foot from the train station, an easy, flat walk.  

At the station you can buy a 5-zone BIRG ticket from the newsstand, not the ticket window or the ticket machines.  This is a regional ticket that entitles you to round trip train fare (on regional trains only) and free use of the trams, buses and metros in Rome for the day.

Get on the next regional train to Rome and get off at the Roma Trastevere station.

At this point you're only a mile and a half from Ponte Fabricio.  Depending on when you travel the public transit to get there may change, as right now they are doing work on the tram tracks and are using substitute buses.  By the time you go the tram may be back in action, so it's hard to be helpful with this step.

The moovit app is very good for Rome, you can download that and it will have the latest information when you are there.  Google maps is also pretty good, but doesn't seem as updated in my experience. 

If you were going tomorrow I would suggest the 3 NAV bus, which starts its run at the Trastevere station.  The seventh stop, Lgt Alberteschi, is at the bridge to Isola Tiberina.  You'd just walk across to the bridge on the other side of the island, Ponte Fabricio.

Bus 3 NAV info:  Line Route 3NAV - ATAC - Bus Schedules | Moovit (moovitapp.com)

Edited by euro cruiser
  • Thanks 3

Here's the official ATAC map.  It's a little complicated to get to but hopefully I can walk you through it.

Go to this page:  Viaggia con ATAC | ATAC S.p.A.- Azienda per la mobilità

Slide down the left panel until you find "Circa Linee" and click to get the drop down list.  Go down this list to find the buses, and continue until you find 3NAV and click on that.  Click again on direction Stazione Trastevere to Piazza di Porta Maggiore, that should bring up the map as well as the times of each bus departure (the map will be behind the times, when you close that you'll see the map).

It's not as complicated as it sounds once you've done it.

• Thanks 2

Also, I forgot to mention how important it is to validate your BIRG ticket before getting on the train in Civitavecchia.  There will be boxes on the platform where you stamp the ticket.  If you can't find one or can't make it work, write in pen on the back side of the ticket the station name (Civitavecchia), the date and the time.

BIRG ticket info (in Italian only) - Civitavecchia is the 5-zone ticket:  BIRG (atac.roma.it)

• Thanks 2

On 4/21/2023 at 4:28 PM, Jumping Cruiser said:

This is the correct website, but regional train times, which includes the CE, have not been released yet. We’re going on the 30th June and haven’t been able to book yet. Keep checking, but usually about a month before they will become available.

It's odd I see there is a CE train in the morning on June 29th but the return around 4pm is not showing?

Yup, June listings are now available and I also booked the CE train! Thanks to everyone in this channel for the info over the last few months. They took the site down yesterday for "maintenance," so I was hoping today was the day.

Hello all!

I've noticed that many of the questions here are re: getting off the ship for shore excursions, but I have a somewhat different situation that involves actual disembarkation at the port.

We are on Norwegian Breakaway and we are scheduled to end our cruise at Civitavecchia at 6 am. We are looking to schedule a train from Civ. to Florence as early as possible.

-What is the earliest train departure time we should feel comfortable scheduling?

-How do I go about requesting the earliest possible disembarkation time in the morning (we will carry our own luggage off)?

-If the worst should happen and we are unable to make our train to Florence, what recourse would we have to get on the next train out?

Thanks!

Tickets for seat assigned trains are useless if you miss the train, in most cases.  Your recourse would be to purchase a new ticket for a later train.

Especially with luggage coming off a cruise, you should limit your search to seat assigned trains.  It's hard to describe the discomfort of standing for an hour, crammed into a regional train, trying to keep your eyes on your luggage.  It's not worth the savings in either time or money, in my opinion.

The first seat assigned train of the day to Rome (where you'd change for a train to Florence) departs Civitavecchia at 9:16 and arrives to Florence at 12:01.  

Does this itinerary seem reasonable for that day then?

~8:00 - Disembark ship

8:50 - Portlink bus to Train Station

9:16 - Depart Civitavecchia

12:01 - Arrive in Florence

~12:15 - Deposit luggage at storage locker near station, then walk to Duom

12:45-1:45 - Dome climb

~2:00 - Pick up luggage

2:20 - Catch Rossa train to Venice St. Lucia

Our ship's Livorno stop is on Sunday so a dome climb is a non-starter, and this was high on our priority list for the trip. I'm aware there is a 3:20 Rossa train to Venice as well that day, but it's slightly more expensive and we lose that extra hour in Venice. It's our honeymoon though, and I want to avoid unnecessary stress.

Thanks again for all your help.

11 minutes ago, jlandz09 said:

Does this itinerary seem reasonable for that day then?

~8:00 - Disembark ship

8:50 - Portlink bus to Train Station

9:16 - Depart Civitavecchia

12:01 - Arrive in Florence

~12:15 - Deposit luggage at storage locker near station, then walk to Duom

12:45-1:45 - Dome climb

~2:00 - Pick up luggage

2:20 - Catch Rossa train to Venice St. Lucia

Our ship's Livorno stop is on Sunday so a dome climb is a non-starter, and this was high on our priority list for the trip. I'm aware there is a 3:20 Rossa train to Venice as well that day, but it's slightly more expensive and we lose that extra hour in Venice. It's our honeymoon though, and I want to avoid unnecessary stress.

Thanks again for all your help.

It will be tight getting to the train station after the climb.  You might want to spend a little extra for the later train. The extra hour will let you enjoy a relaxed walk through the city instead of rushing and risking missing the train.

Edited by marazul

On 4/25/2023 at 12:51 PM, euro cruiser said:

At the station you can buy a 5-zone BIRG ticket from the newsstand, not the ticket window or the ticket machines.  This is a regional ticket that entitles you to round trip train fare (on regional trains only) and free use of the trams, buses and metros in Rome for the day

Thank you for this information. Is there a 2-day 5-zone BIRG TICKET available?
         We are in port for 2-days, spending the night in a B&B. 
   Thank you.

For the 2023 summer cruise season, I can confirm that there is still a bus running directly from the Civitavecchia train station to the ships at the port, at least on embarkation day for the ships.   I arrived this morning on a train from Rome. Upon exiting the front of the Civitavecchia station, cross the parking lot and look to the right.  The buses say “Port Mobility” on the side.  In the front window is a sign indicating that the bus goes from station to ships and ships to station.  The price is 6 euro per person (cash only).   If your train ticket was for “Civitavecchia”, you must pay the driver.  IF your train ticket was to “Civitavecchia Porto”, you have already paid, but must show your ticket.  The driver was able to make reasonable change. But he was not willing/able to give change for a 50 euro bill.  So bring small bills or coins and exact amounts if you have it.  At the bus stop, There is also a sign with the bus info in case there are none there when you arrive.  The buses come and go as they fill up. Just wait for the next one to arrive.

It worked smoothly.  By the time my bus filled up, another was already there to take its place.  

NOTE: Confirm with the driver that he is going to your ship.  They have different buses for different ships.  But there was no sign indicating this on the buses.

• Like 1

Hope someone can help here - we are arriving to Civitavecchia 6 AM and need to get to Milan Central Station.  Am I understanding correctly we need to take Regional Train which runs about 1 hr and 4 minutes to Rome Termini, and then (this is the part I am not sure about) change platforms/trains and take fast (frecce) train to Milan? 

How is it to do?  We are 4 adults and 5 children...

You don't have to take a regional train, there are options.

For example, the fastest routing is a Frecce to a Frecce, departing Civitavecchia at 9:16, arriving to Termini at 10:03, then departing Termini at 10:20 and arriving to Milano Centrale at 13:35.

One benefit of this is that both trains will use the main trackhead at Termini, a regional train will leave you three full blocks from the main trackhead, where you'd get the train to Milan.

The earliest you can get to Milan is 12:00 (this departs Civitavecchia at 7:02 and takes five hours - the change at Termini is 32 minutes, which is plenty of time to make the three block walk with luggage).

EN - Trenitalia

Dear Euro cruise,

we are 9 people 5 of which are children. Not sure if we can transfer from train to train in 17 minutes with luggage. Also the problem is I dont know what time we will get off the ship. I assume closer to 10...  Are there Frecce to Frecce around 10:45?  Also how far are the frecce train from each other?

If your ship arrives to Civitavecchia at 6 they will have forced everyone off between 9 - 10 AM.  You would have no problem getting off in time to make the 9:16 train.  You could always take a later connection on to Milan to extend your transfer time.  You won't need it but I understand that it would make you feel better to have some cushion.  Trenitalia has another Frecce at 10:50, so you wouldn't have to wait long.

Italotreno also has high speed trains between Rome and Milan.  They don't service Civitavecchia but if you'd be buying two different tickets anyway, check them as well to get the best combination of timing and pricing for your trip.  Ask both about family and group rates.

Italy high speed train tickets| Italotreno.it - Official website

• 2 weeks later...

Quick question about getting from the Civitavecchia train station to the cruise port bus stop. I know the main walking route goes about a mile to the Largo della Pace, but I found a video on youtube where the guy says there's a free bus near the Fortezza Michelangelo that takes you to Largo della Pace.

I'm not sure what this bus stop is but it's in this area:

image.thumb.png.94d15fe55387964ecd5f7764f5e0fb21.png

What is this bus? Also how do you go in the other direction, from Largo della Place to this bus stop near the fort?

Bonus question - cruise lines really charge 90 dollars for a 15 euro trip?

image.png.ca1c99a8212d44821484c666c24f0564.png

1 hour ago, tomservo said:

Quick question about getting from the Civitavecchia train station to the cruise port bus stop. I know the main walking route goes about a mile to the Largo della Pace, but I found a video on youtube where the guy says there's a free bus near the Fortezza Michelangelo that takes you to Largo della Pace. What is this bus? Also how do you go in the other direction, from Largo della Place to this bus stop near the fort?

Did some more digging, looks like this is a free shuttle provided for tourists by the city. It appears to run this route:

Shuttles Ordinary Service - Port of Civitavecchia

https://civitavecchia.portmobility.it/en/shuttles

So I think the directions in the video are accurate. I think I've mostly answered my own question (doesn't look like I can take it from Largo della Pace to Fortezza easily, unless I'm in for a long shuttle ride), but otherwise wouldn't mind it if someone could confirm what I found above.