Civitavecchia (port) // Rome by Train 2024: Your questions answered here!

euro cruiser

We will be traveling from Rome Balduina train station to Civitavecchia but this requires a train change at Roma San Pietro train station. Can anyone tell me if elevators exist to make train track changes with luggage easier? I am having trouble finding accurate info from Trentalia.  

On 5/22/2023 at 1:18 PM, tomservo said:

Quick question about getting from the Civitavecchia train station to the cruise port bus stop. I know the main walking route goes about a mile to the Largo della Pace, but I found a video on youtube where the guy says there's a free bus near the Fortezza Michelangelo that takes you to Largo della Pace.

I've been digging through this for a bit now, too, and from all the available materials I've found, it looks like you'd be able to walk from the train station to Molo Del Bicchiere, which is right across from the fort. From there, it looks like there's a shuttle that will take you to Largo della Pace (the Blue line from that "Terminal ADM Sud" graphic you posted), which looks like it then continues onto the cruise terminals. But they also appear to have a green line that takes you straight from Molo Del Bicchiere to the cruise terminals, which is my plan:

Shuttles Cruise Service - Port of Civitavecchia

If you search "Molo Del Bicchiere" in Google maps, it shows up right across from the fort, and also appears to be in the place that they suggest to pick up a shuttle on this page: https://www.civitavecchiaport.org/from-civitavecchia-train-station-to-the-port/

Also looks like a much easier walk than trying to get straight to Largo Della Place: 

image.thumb.png.efbb78b5e34d1d88b96d3f4b9a5b6b06.png

We'll see what happens this June. If anyone sees a red faced couple wandering aimlessly with two worn out young kids, please say hi! 😉

I think what you've sussed out can work, I can't find any reason why it wouldn't.  Before these new shuttle lines were developed we walked into the port from the train station and to our ship with no problem.  Please come back afterwards and tell us about it.

Obviously it depends on where your ship is berthed, the biggest ships are at pier #25, the rest are out on the spit, #10 - #13.  Please note that the map below is odd, the top of the map is not north as is typically the case with maps.  The top of this map is actually southwest.

map_of_port_of_civitavecchia_eng_1465288193.jpg

• Like 1

On 5/24/2023 at 9:34 AM, euro cruiser said:

No, there are no elevators at Roma S. Pietro:  Roma S.Pietro (rfi.it)

May I ask where you are staying?  Balduina is well outside the normal tourist area, you'd be eating up a lot of time each day getting into and back from the historic center of Rome.

Thanks so much for your help. We will change our plans accordingly! 

9 hours ago, davekrnavek said:

I've been digging through this for a bit now, too, and from all the available materials I've found, it looks like you'd be able to walk from the train station to Molo Del Bicchiere, which is right across from the fort. From there, it looks like there's a shuttle that will take you to Largo della Pace (the Blue line from that "Terminal ADM Sud" graphic you posted), which looks like it then continues onto the cruise terminals. But they also appear to have a green line that takes you straight from Molo Del Bicchiere to the cruise terminals, which is my plan:

If you search "Molo Del Bicchiere" in Google maps, it shows up right across from the fort, and also appears to be in the place that they suggest to pick up a shuttle on this page: https://www.civitavecchiaport.org/from-civitavecchia-train-station-to-the-port/

Also looks like a much easier walk than trying to get straight to Largo Della Place: 

image.thumb.png.efbb78b5e34d1d88b96d3f4b9a5b6b06.png

We'll see what happens this June. If anyone sees a red faced couple wandering aimlessly with two worn out young kids, please say hi! 😉

I’m not in front of my computer, so don’t quote me on this, but I believe you are correct in that the green line is a viable option however:

1) I think you do have to pay a small fare to board this bus

2) I believe this bus will go straight to your cruise terminal but you need to make sure you get the right one that goes to your terminal. 

But yes it should be mentioned as an option as well. I don’t necessarily need a free option, I was mostly trying to avoid boarding the bus at the station since there will most likely be a wait and a line to board the bus. At least this one is a little further from the station, so I think it’s a good option.

When in June are you going to Rome?

Looks like the only fare they have listed on their page (https://civitavecchia.portmobility.it/en/shuttles) is the "Direct Cruise / Railway Service" for €6 that's been mentioned several times here. So I'm fairly confident both the green line and blue line are free, but of course it seems like there's a lot of moving pieces and the info seems to be changing all the time, so we'll see what happens.

Also, I noticed going further down that page that they have a map with the various stops -- looks like the Molo del Bicchiere stop is on the other side of the fort from the Google Maps location I'd previously noted:

image.thumb.png.17a329f65a9f858c1340d79ade07d901.png

If you look at the area in Google Maps, there's a pin with a location marked "Royal Caribbean bus pickup" that looks like it's in this location:

image.thumb.png.ee9f402cb105e92519ded6f422c8128c.png

We'll be departing on June 12, on RCL Enchantment of the Seas. It'll be our first cruise, so there's a little trepidation, but our boys (ages 10 and 8 ) are already fairly seasoned travelers (we've taken them to Europe three times, Costa Rica, Puerto Rico, and all over the US), which definitely helps lessen the anxiety about catching all the various trains, buses, etc.

Mostly, I'm just a planner and like to know all the details ahead of time and exactly where to go, backup options, etc. 😉

Can somebody please recommend a reliable transfer company from Fiumicino to Civitavecchia?

I have also tried to look at train tickets with train Italia but even though they provide the train schedules it is not possible to buy them online.  How do we get the train tickets?

Ivi

If you are using the official site (IT - Trenitalia) it is absolutely possible to purchase on line in advance.  There is no need to do so for regional trains as they do not have seat assignments and cannot sell out, but the high speed trains are seat assigned and can sell out (although it's rare on this line), plus you can get a lower fare by purchasing in advance.

In this case, from the airport, the regional line makes more sense.  To use the high speed, seat assigned trains you'd have to go into Rome and change there.

When taking a train immediately after a flight I always recommend waiting and buying at the airport train station, so you're not racing to try and meet a schedule or hanging around for hours waiting for one.  However, some folks feel more comfortable having this arranged in advance.  In this case, note that regional tickets purchased on line are good for four hours after the time you purchased for, so unless your flight is VERY late, you could still use the tickets.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, euro cruiser said:

If you are using the official site (IT - Trenitalia) it is absolutely possible to purchase on line in advance.  There is no need to do so for regional trains as they do not have seat assignments and cannot sell out, but the high speed trains are seat assigned and can sell out (although it's rare on this line), plus you can get a lower fare by purchasing in advance.

In this case, from the airport, the regional line makes more sense.  To use the high speed, seat assigned trains you'd have to go into Rome and change there.

When taking a train immediately after a flight I always recommend waiting and buying at the airport train station, so you're not racing to try and meet a schedule or hanging around for hours waiting for one.  However, some folks feel more comfortable having this arranged in advance.  In this case, note that regional tickets purchased on line are good for four hours after the time you purchased for, so unless your flight is VERY late, you could still use the tickets.  

I have seen that all trains from the airport to Civitavecchia mean we have to go to Rome and change there. For example in Trastevere. I am somehow afraid of the strikes. How do we get the information if there is going to be a strike?

Any advice of a company for a transfer?

Ivi

Yes, all trains require a change in Rome but only the high speed requires you to go all the way to Termini.  When using the regionals the most efficient change is at Roma Trastevere.

Strikes are announced about three weeks prior to the date of action, the web site to check is here: Scioperi - mit2

There are several transfer companies mentioned frequently on this board.  I'm a big public transit user so the only one I've used, and this was several years ago, was Bob's:  Civitavecchia Transfer, Italy Transfers, Rome Limousine Transfer (romelimousines.com)   I'm sure others will add in with their favorites.

There is also a fixed fare for taxis from the airport to the port at Civitavecchia, set by the city of Rome, of 125 Euro.  The fare chart is here, page 2 is in English:  Tariffario_Taxi_REV.pdf (comune.roma.it)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, euro cruiser said:

Yes, all trains require a change in Rome but only the high speed requires you to go all the way to Termini.  When using the regionals the most efficient change is at Roma Trastevere.

Strikes are announced about three weeks prior to the date of action, the web site to check is here: Scioperi - mit2

There are several transfer companies mentioned frequently on this board.  I'm a big public transit user so the only one I've used, and this was several years ago, was Bob's:  Civitavecchia Transfer, Italy Transfers, Rome Limousine Transfer (romelimousines.com)   I'm sure others will add in with their favorites.

There is also a fixed fare for taxis from the airport to the port at Civitavecchia, set by the city of Rome, of 125 Euro.  The fare chart is here, page 2 is in English:  Tariffario_Taxi_REV.pdf (comune.roma.it)

Thank you so much for this information!

Ivi

On 5/25/2023 at 2:41 PM, davekrnavek said:

The stops at Bramante/Molo del Bicchiere are for disembarking/embarking passengers only as there is a parking lot there. It´s not served on a regular basis (believe me, I stood there for half an hour an no bus did stop in the afternoon).

The other bus "ordinary service" is usually for ferry passengers only. And when you made it to the Fortezza already the walk to the cruise terminals (10 to 13) is not that far anymore. It doesn´t make sense to take the bus from there to Largo della Pace and then the bus goes the same route all the way back. It only makes sense when your ship is at 25.

It´s a 20 min walk from the train station  to Largo della Pace through the city. And there is still a public bus running there.

steamboats

7 hours ago, steamboats said:

It´s a 20 min walk from the train station  to Largo della Pace through the city.

Sounds like this is probably the most painless way to go, with the least amount of running around and possibly backtracking. Thanks for the info!

On 5/9/2023 at 3:46 PM, euro cruiser said:

If your ship arrives to Civitavecchia at 6 they will have forced everyone off between 9 - 10 AM.  You would have no problem getting off in time to make the 9:16 train.  You could always take a later connection on to Milan to extend your transfer time.  You won't need it but I understand that it would make you feel better to have some cushion.  Trenitalia has another Frecce at 10:50, so you wouldn't have to wait long.

Italotreno also has high speed trains between Rome and Milan.  They don't service Civitavecchia but if you'd be buying two different tickets anyway, check them as well to get the best combination of timing and pricing for your trip.  Ask both about family and group rates.

Italy high speed train tickets| Italotreno.it - Official website

I am still trying to understand how to make it to the station, would you be so kind and help ste by step:

- we get off the ship lets say at 8:30AM, need to pick up luggage somewhere looks like then get out and  go where to get on the bus to the train station?

- I will print and show to the cashier what tickets we need : Frecce to Milano Centrale and hopefully make it to 9:16 train

- when we arrive to Rome Trimini, get off the first train and go where??  

22 minutes ago, Lurdes777 said:

I am still trying to understand how to make it to the station, would you be so kind and help ste by step:

- we get off the ship lets say at 8:30AM, need to pick up luggage somewhere looks like then get out and  go where to get on the bus to the train station?

- I will print and show to the cashier what tickets we need : Frecce to Milano Centrale and hopefully make it to 9:16 train

- when we arrive to Rome Trimini, get off the first train and go where??  

Once you're inside Rome Termini, you'll have to keep an eye on the departures board and about half an hour before your train to Milan is scheduled to leave the platform will be announced.  Pretty straightforward.

When I read you posts though, the real issue from my perspective is your strategy on how you plan on getting from Civitavecchia port to Termini and the timing... you ought not shave things too close on your train from Ro e to Milan.  I suggest the earliest you plan on doing that is 1050 and 1150 would be better.

If you are OK to walk with your luggage, pick it up in the hall upon arrival and take the shuttle towards Largo della Pace.  Get off at the Michalengelo Fort and walk 15 minutes to the station.  There are sidewalks and it is a straight shot on level ground.

22 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

Once you're inside Rome Termini, you'll have to keep an eye on the departures board and about half an hour before your train to Milan is scheduled to leave the platform will be announced.  Pretty straightforward.

When I read you posts though, the real issue from my perspective is your strategy on how you plan on getting from Civitavecchia port to Termini and the timing... you ought not shave things too close on your train from Ro e to Milan.  I suggest the earliest you plan on doing that is 1050 and 1150 would be better.

If you are OK to walk with your luggage, pick it up in the hall upon arrival and take the shuttle towards Largo della Pace.  Get off at the Michalengelo Fort and walk 15 minutes to the station.  There are sidewalks and it is a straight shot on level ground.

Sounds complicated to me...Which Hall are we picking up luggage at?  Maybe we will just carry our luggage with us from the cabin to outside. Once we are out we look for a shuttle?  Do shuttles have signs?  Shuttle doesnt drop off right at the train station?

18 minutes ago, Lurdes777 said:

Sounds complicated to me...Which Hall are we picking up luggage at?  Maybe we will just carry our luggage with us from the cabin to outside. Once we are out we look for a shuttle?  Do shuttles have signs?  Shuttle doesnt drop off right at the train station?

The €6  port mobility bus picks up from ship and takes you to station, free shuttle only takes you to port entrance.

46 minutes ago, Neilyboy64 said:

The €6  port mobility bus picks up from ship and takes you to station, free shuttle only takes you to port entrance.

How much do you think a taxi will cost for 5 people?  Maybe worthwile just grab a taxi.

43 minutes ago, Lurdes777 said:

How much do you think a taxi will cost for 5 people?  Maybe worthwile just grab a taxi.

Why bother with a taxi when you can get the bus right at your ship ? I've read that the taxis are not keen on the short fare to the train station, they want the big hires to Rome etc.

I'm not sure you could even get a taxi, they don't want to do short shuttle runs, they will simply point you to the bus.

There is a cruise terminal for ships docked on the 10 - 13 pier, but if you're on one of the mega ships you'd be berthed at #25, quite a distance away.

The easiest route is to take the 6 euro per person Port Mobility bus from your ship to the train station.

1 hour ago, euro cruiser said:

I'm not sure you could even get a taxi, they don't want to do short shuttle runs, they will simply point you to the bus.

There is a cruise terminal for ships docked on the 10 - 13 pier, but if you're on one of the mega ships you'd be berthed at #25, quite a distance away.

The easiest route is to take the 6 euro per person Port Mobility bus from your ship to the train station.

OK, so looks like we get out of the ship, look for Port Mobility bus and tell them we go to the train station, have cash 6 euros per person.  When we get to the station how is it to buy tickets to Frecce?  Is there a live person or just computer terminal?