Civitavecchia (port) // Rome by Train 2024: Your questions answered here!

euro cruiser

14 minutes ago, euro cruiser said:

IF you can get a taxi to take you it will be at least 25 euro to travel a little more than a mile.  Be sure they will take you all the way to the terminal or ship and not just drop you at the shuttle bus stop.  For that price they ought to provide a song and dance as well, but they won't.

The bus is expensive, it's more than the cost of the train from Rome to Civitavecchia.  The price is the same 6 euro whether you buy the ticket on board the bus or from Trenitalia.  However, they have a captive audience and very few cabs willing to make the trip, so ...

There's five of us, so unless kids are free on the bus, a taxi would be cheaper... but if it's hard to get one and we don't want to walk, that leaves the bus.

4 hours ago, Mary Louise said:

What train station do I select in the port of Civitavecchia to take the express train to Rome. There seems to be a several options and I want to select the correct one.

You need the Civitavecchia Express service from Civitavecchia to Roma Ostiense. It is 7.50 euro one-way and 15 euro return. You can get off at Roma S. Pietro on the way to Rome, if you are planning to visit the Vatican and then back on at Ostiense which is closer to the Colleseum. The train times are as follows:

9:07 - 10:10 (Civitavecchia to Roma Ostiense)

16:30 - 17:20 (Roma Ostiense to Civitavecchia)

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Jumping Cruiser said:

You need the Civitavecchia Express service from Civitavecchia to Roma Ostiense. It is 7.50 euro one-way and 15 euro return. You can get off at Roma S. Pietro on the way to Rome, if you are planning to visit the Vatican and then back on at Ostiense which is closer to the Colleseum. The train times are as follows:

9:07 - 10:10 (Civitavecchia to Roma Ostiense)

16:30 - 17:20 (Roma Ostiense to Civitavecchia)

That's very helpful, thanks.

I have another question. I understand that there are two stretches to get to the CE station - one is from the cruise ship to the Welcome Center and the other is from the Welcome Center to the actual CE station. Based on my research, it seems that the shuttles for the first stretch are free (right?), but I'm not sure about the second stretch. I think I read somewhere that for CE ticket holders specifically, the shuttles for the second stretch are free, but I couldn't get a confirmation on that. Can someone confirm, please?

1 hour ago, dinekani said:

That's very helpful, thanks.

I have another question. I understand that there are two stretches to get to the CE station - one is from the cruise ship to the Welcome Center and the other is from the Welcome Center to the actual CE station. Based on my research, it seems that the shuttles for the first stretch are free (right?), but I'm not sure about the second stretch. I think I read somewhere that for CE ticket holders specifically, the shuttles for the second stretch are free, but I couldn't get a confirmation on that. Can someone confirm, please?

Firstly, its best to use this website to look up all of your tickets (https://www.trenitalia.com/en.html).

From my experience, the shuttle from the ship to the cruise terminal welcome building is free, as no walking is permitted on port property. Then, there are a few different options to get to the station, including:

- Walking: Takes about 15/20 mins from port entrance.

- Public Bus: Get a public bus for around 2/3 euro, which takes you from port entrance to the station.

Direct Transfer Train Ticket: You can select a specific train ticket for CE that includes a direct transfer from ship to the station. If you are looking to book this then put your starting point as ‘Civitavecchia Porto’ and this will show you the total cost of the train and transfer. This shuttle costs 6 euro each way, so would take the train ticket price up to 13.50 euro per way, as opposed to 7.50 euro just for the train.

Hope this helps, but if you would like me to be more specific then just let me know. 

Edited by Jumping Cruiser

I know nothing about a free shuttle to the train station for Civitavecchia Express ticket holders.

Here is the announcement of this year's service, which began last week and continues until November:  Trenitalia: da domani torna il Civitavecchia Express - Trenitalia

There is a free shuttle from your ship to the Largo della Pace shuttle stop just outside the port.  From this drop off/pick up point it is 1.4 km/nine-tenths of a mile on foot to the Civitavecchia train station.  It's a flat walk and easy to do if you don't have luggage.  Unless there is a bus there waiting to pick up you can probably walk to the station faster than standing at Largo della Pace waiting for a bus.

Unless you have a late arrival to Civitavecchia, if this is a port day I would seriously reconsider using the CE.  Most ships pull in and start disembarking passengers for a port day between 7 - 7:30 AM.  Why waste time waiting around for a 9:00 train?  You could already be in Rome by the time that train leaves Civitavecchia.

8 minutes ago, euro cruiser said:

Unless you have a late arrival to Civitavecchia, if this is a port day I would seriously reconsider using the CE.  Most ships pull in and start disembarking passengers for a port day between 7 - 7:30 AM.  Why waste time waiting around for a 9:00 train?  You could already be in Rome by the time that train leaves Civitavecchia.

I have only been once and used the CE service, so don’t have much knowledge of the more regular services. Is it common for there to be delays getting out of the port? Are commuter trains usually busy at that time on a weekday morning?

Yes, the commuter trains are busy in the morning.  Maybe it's my bias, I'd put up with almost anything to get an extra hour or two in Rome.

There is a 7:44 from Civitavecchia that gets to Roma S. Pietro at 8:25, or one at 7:58, arrives 8:54, or 8:42 arrives 9:25, or 8:57 arrives 9:54.  All of these get you there ahead of the CE, and each costs less than half of the CE fare.

I wait until I'm at the station and buy the BIRG ticket from the newsstand in the station.  This 12 euro ticket gives me round trip train fare (on the regional trains only), which is worth 9,20 euro, plus all day buses, metros and trams in Rome.  One ticket for the metro, bus or tram in Rome costs 1,50 euro, so after two rides you're ahead economically. I do it for the ease of having just the one ticket to worry about, whether or not it pays out.

Edited by euro cruiser
  • Like 2

Sorry if I've doubled up. I'm working through all the posts. We catch a train from La Spezia to Civitavecchia on the day of our cruise. When we get to the station at Civitavecchia - can we walk to the ship? If not.. how do we get there? Is it far? Thank you. 

14 hours ago, Over from NZ said:

Sorry if I've doubled up. I'm working through all the posts. We catch a train from La Spezia to Civitavecchia on the day of our cruise. When we get to the station at Civitavecchia - can we walk to the ship? If not.. how do we get there? Is it far? Thank you. 

just reverse the directions noted in post  #132...city bus from train station to Largo Della Pace which is the port entrance ( or walk the mile) , then a free shuttle to your ship. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tinkerfirefighter said:

I am having a hard time finding train from Rome to Civitavecchia.  I have searched a number of times with no luck.  I need it for my cruise in Oct but have had no luck finding it as it says there are no trains on that route.  Any assistance would be appreciated.

You're searching far too early. The schedule for the high-speed trains usually turns up about 3-4 months in advance, and the regionale trains will appear 1 week in advance.

3 hours ago, Tinkerfirefighter said:

I am having a hard time finding train from Rome to Civitavecchia.  I have searched a number of times with no luck.  I need it for my cruise in Oct but have had no luck finding it as it says there are no trains on that route.  Any assistance would be appreciated.

I had the same issue last Spring when I was in planning mode for a late Sept trip.  There's a big schedule dump in mid June and December, so hold on another month.   OTOH, the schedule won't be much different from the current one, so you can make plans, just cant make the reservation. 

10 minutes ago, mapleleaves said:

I had the same issue last Spring when I was in planning mode for a late Sept trip.  There's a big schedule dump in mid June and December, so hold on another month.   OTOH, the schedule won't be much different from the current one, so you can make plans, just cant make the reservation. 

1 hour ago, Twickenham said:

You're searching far too early. The schedule for the high-speed trains usually turns up about 3-4 months in advance, and the regionale trains will appear 1 week in advance.

Thanks for the replys.  Thought I saw that somewhere.

On 4/9/2023 at 3:29 PM, euro cruiser said:

Yes, the commuter trains are busy in the morning.  Maybe it's my bias, I'd put up with almost anything to get an extra hour or two in Rome.

There is a 7:44 from Civitavecchia that gets to Roma S. Pietro at 8:25, or one at 7:58, arrives 8:54, or 8:42 arrives 9:25, or 8:57 arrives 9:54.  All of these get you there ahead of the CE, and each costs less than half of the CE fare.

I wait until I'm at the station and buy the BIRG ticket from the newsstand in the station.  This 12 euro ticket gives me round trip train fare (on the regional trains only), which is worth 9,20 euro, plus all day buses, metros and trams in Rome.  One ticket for the metro, bus or tram in Rome costs 1,50 euro, so after two rides you're ahead economically. I do it for the ease of having just the one ticket to worry about, whether or not it pays out.

I’m trying to book my tickets for this and the other day it showed trains after 8 am now it only shows the frecce trains after 9:16 - this is for June 15th.  If I go to a different earlier date I see the trains but not after June 10.  Does that mean they are sold out?  Am I doing something wrong?  Thanks

ok i was going to start a post but saw this here.

So, is the Citavecchia Express a good choice?  It doesn't appear  they started selling tickets yet( we are going Sept 2023 off the Sky princess)  , :https://civitavecchia.portmobility.it/en/new-civitavecchia-express-non-stop-train-cruise-passengers

But my questions are :

1. How do we get from ship to train station without walking?  It appears there is a port shuttle to another stop, where you have to wait for a 2-3 euro bus to train station . Is this correct?

2. With the  express train it seems you have option of getting off at stop nearer to ST Peters , or the last stop nearer to Coliseum.?

3. Going back from Rome from to Citavecchia is there only one train? 

4.  Thoughts on using this as a more economical  way of getting from Port to Rome and back to ship?

53 minutes ago, Moxiefurball said:

1. How do we get from ship to train station without walking?  It appears there is a port shuttle to another stop, where you have to wait for a 2-3 euro bus to train station . Is this correct?

2. With the  express train it seems you have option of getting off at stop nearer to ST Peters , or the last stop nearer to Coliseum.?

3. Going back from Rome from to Citavecchia is there only one train? 

4.  Thoughts on using this as a more economical  way of getting from Port to Rome and back to ship?

1. You can get the public bus for about 2-3 euro each way from the port entrance or you can take a direct shuttle from the ship to the station, but this costs 6 euro each way. If you want the direct shuttle, then put your staring point as ‘Civitavecchia Porto’ on Trenitalia and this will show you the combined price for train and shuttle. 

2. The first stop, Roma S. Pietro is closest to The Vatican. When we go, we usually get of at this stop on the way and get back on from the starting point at Roma Ostiense, which is close to the colosseum. 

3. Yes, there is only one direct train. This leaves Roma Ostiense at 16:30.

4. We really like the direct service that it provides, especially around rush hour, as commuter trains can be busy. Although it’s slightly more expensive, we feel like it offers a better experience and still gives you enough time to explore Rome. 

The Civitavecchia Express tickets are available for sale right now, the issue you're having is that you are looking too far into the future.  There is a system wide reset for the trains in the second week of June, high speed trains past that date are already loaded into the system, regional ones will follow.

(as an aside, Italians really don't get this compulsion to purchase something in advance unless there is an economic or scarcity reason to do so.  The Civitavecchia Express price doesn't change no matter how far in advance you buy it, and so far it hasn't been popular enough to worry about not being able to get a ticket.)

IF you were planning to go to Rome S. Pietro or Ostiense stations AND if your ship arrives later than usual and/or you don't mind giving up some time in Rome, then the CE can be an acceptable alternative.  I would not bend my plans to accommodate the CE's limitations, however.  

Hi, I went on the following website to try and book train tickets. We are going on June 29th. I was hopping to get the one that leaves at 9am and comes back late afternoon (the express one).

When I put Civitavecchia and Roma Ostiense, the only thing that pops up is 9h16 arriving at 10h46 with 1 stop, i.e. the direct express does not seem to be available? In the drop down, I'm putting "main solutions". The return shows 4h09 pm arriving at 5h44pm. We arrive in port at 7am and leave at 8pm. Our focus was going to be Trevi Fountain area...

what are we doing wrong that we don't see the direct train?

EN - Trenitalia

2 hours ago, alpineapa said:

What are we doing wrong that we don't see the direct train?

EN - Trenitalia

This is the correct website, but regional train times, which includes the CE, have not been released yet. We’re going on the 30th June and haven’t been able to book yet. Keep checking, but usually about a month before they will become available.

10 hours ago, alpineapa said:

Hi, I went on the following website to try and book train tickets. We are going on June 29th. I was hopping to get the one that leaves at 9am and comes back late afternoon (the express one).

When I put Civitavecchia and Roma Ostiense, the only thing that pops up is 9h16 arriving at 10h46 with 1 stop, i.e. the direct express does not seem to be available? In the drop down, I'm putting "main solutions". The return shows 4h09 pm arriving at 5h44pm. We arrive in port at 7am and leave at 8pm. Our focus was going to be Trevi Fountain area...

what are we doing wrong that we don't see the direct train?

EN - Trenitalia

You're on the same cruise as my family. Join the line for the train schedule! I've been checking daily for far too long.