Will P&O ever replace the Oceana and Oriana.

Cruisemeister2002

3 hours ago, Host Sharon said:

On that cruise too, hopefully!

As are we, hopefully.

We haven't done too well with Aurora cruises this year (two cancelled) so keeping fingers crossed for this one! 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, molecrochip said:

I would suggest that when Arcadia and Aurora go, there will be no Adults only ships on P&O.

The reason they are adults only is for convenience - its not a marketing choice or a brand proposition. They do not have the room to offer a modern suite of children's facilities as well as all the adult facilities that they want. I went on these ships before they were adults only and they were a nightmare with a buggy & small kids. Simple answer - remove all childrens facilities and call them adults only.

I had come to very much the same conclusion.

But are children's facilities necessary on all ships which accept children?

Before sailing with P&O my first cruises (in the mid 1990s) were on Cunard and Costa ships carrying 600-800 passengers. These ships accepted children and there were a small number onboard, but there was no special provision for them. If you took your children with you it was your responsibilty to take care of them, just like it would be on a hotel based holiday onshore. More recently I have sailed several times with Star Clippers where the same situation applies, as I believe that it does on some of the smaller cruise lines. There would be nothing to stop P&O adopting this approach if they had the will to do so, but I doubt very much if they have. They obviously see their future as being in large all singing all dancing ships aimed at the family market. Probably a good commercial decision but one which will upset some of their more traditional customers.

• Like 3

On 5/3/2022 at 9:59 AM, Adawn47 said:

Greek islands is a cruise we've not yet done

The best cruise we have ever done. Did it in Ventura over Easter in 2017 and was an amazing trip, food all themed and everything. Best cruise we have done with P&O to date. Ventura fitted the itinerary well. 

On 5/3/2022 at 5:38 PM, Denarius said:

I had come to very much the same conclusion.

But are children's facilities necessary on all ships which accept children?

Before sailing with P&O my first cruises (in the mid 1990s) were on Cunard and Costa ships carrying 600-800 passengers. These ships accepted children and there were a small number onboard, but there was no special provision for them. If you took your children with you it was your responsibilty to take care of them, just like it would be on a hotel based holiday onshore. More recently I have sailed several times with Star Clippers where the same situation applies, as I believe that it does on some of the smaller cruise lines. There would be nothing to stop P&O adopting this approach if they had the will to do so, but I doubt very much if they have. They obviously see their future as being in large all singing all dancing ships aimed at the family market. Probably a good commercial decision but one which will upset some of their more traditional customers.

I think the expectation of families has changed a lot since the 1990s in line with cruising. P&O would not have much luck adopting the approach of minimal children's activities on a family ship. They woudl be heavily criticised.

• Like 4

On 5/2/2022 at 12:57 PM, Adawn47 said:

Arcadia was our first cruise ship when we began cruising, and we loved her. The standard balcony cabins are lovely with a separate sitting area, like the deluxe balconies on other ships.

She has a wonderful  two-tier theatre with comfortable, large seats.

There is no atrium, which some see as a problem.  Two of Arcadia's lifts, one port and one starboard, are glass fronted facing out towards the sea. Gave me quite a start I can tell you when the lift doors opened.

As on Aurora, (our favourite ship), there aren't as many dining options or watering holes as the larger ships, but it depends on what you want from your cruise.

We've been on Arcadia 4 times and have enjoyed every one. We have been on all P&O's smaller ships and liked every one, but it's just my personal opinion.

Avril

Thanks for that. It's always interesting to know what others think of certain ships. Don't quite know why we have never sailed on Arcadia. As for Aurora we have been on her four times. Even so I still forget where things are and which restaurant is on what ship. I have a very bad sense of direction. Never missed a meal though. I personally hope that P&O do bring in a couple of smaller ships of a similar size to Aurora. Sadly can't see it happening and we'll either have to put up with floating blocks of flats or try another cruise line. 

• Like 2