Will P&O ever replace the Oceana and Oriana.

Cruisemeister2002

8 hours ago, grapau27 said:

We did a Baltic cruise on Serenade of the seas from Copenhagen in May 2015.

We did 2 Emirates and 1 Canary Islands cruises on Brilliance and loved the ships.

If one came to P&O to replace Aurora/Arcadia I think our P&O traditionalists would love it.

517 balcony cabins on Brilliance and serenade of the seas.

Not disagreeing with the sentiment at all - I could probably be tempted. But it ain't going to happen. Ships will never cross the big divide between Royal Caribbean and Carnival brands...😀

6 hours ago, grapau27 said:

True.

The P&O Australia ships are former Princess ships so maybe they might transfer an older possibly Grand Princess or similar to P&O UK.

The only Grand Class ships that would tempt this particular traditionalist would be the three that were built without the additional deck - and two of those ships have just been transferred P&O Australia...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Britboys said:

The only Grand Class ships that would tempt this particular traditionalist would be the three that were built without the additional deck - and two of those ships have just been transferred P&O Australia...

Why? Ventura and Azura have the extra deck

15 minutes ago, AuroraCruiser08 said:

Why? Ventura and Azura have the extra deck

Exactly. Tried Azura twice and found it hideously overcrowded and noisy for my taste. Not remotely interested in sailing on either again. I do however realise that others enjoy them.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Britboys said:

Exactly. Tried Azura twice and found it hideously overcrowded and noisy for my taste. Not remotely interested in sailing on either again. I do however realise that others enjoy them.

I have sailed on both Ventura and Azura and whilst I enjoyed both I too found them overcrowded. Particularly on the open decks on sea days, and in the MDRs with 8 people sitting cheek to jowel on tables obviously designed for 6. All became clear when I became aware that they were effectively the Grand Princess design with another deck of cabins added, but with no additional public space. Leaving 3000 passengers to fit into spaces designed for 2500.

Edited by Denarius
  • Like 7

4 hours ago, Denarius said:

I have sailed on both Ventura and Azura and whilst I enjoyed both I too found them overcrowded. Particularly on the open decks on sea days, and in the MDRs with 8 people sitting cheek to jowel on tables obviously designed for 6. All became clear when I became aware that they were effectively the Grand Princess design with another deck of cabins added, but with no additional public space. Leaving 3000 passengers to fit into spaces designed for 2500.

I found many inside spaces really crowded too. Could almost never get a seat in Malabar or Manhattan.

On 4/29/2022 at 1:00 PM, Britboys said:

I sadly have to agree with the majority in that P&O won't be likely to bring in any smaller ships again. They are gradually evolving into a big-ship, more casual line trying to appeal more to younger pax and families.

Cunard will continue to do a World Cruise and Carnival will hope that P&O pax will move over.

There may be a very outside chance that Carnival decide to take the two smallest Princess ships out of the fleet and transfer Island to P&O but as she is only 3 years younger than Aurora, it really would be a very outside chance.

As someone who has tried Azura twice and hated it, I have resigned myself to moving to other cruise lines in the foreseeable future as Aurora and Arcadia could potentially be disposed of at any point in the next 2 to 7 years I feel.

I'm not a clairvoyant, but I do believe Aurora will most likely disappear within the next three years as for Arcadia I'm not sure. Funny, but of all the ships within the P&O fleet with the exception of the two newest ones we have never been on Arcadia. It would be interesting to hear the views of others about her. We are due on Iona next year as we thought we'd give her a go.

• Like 1

On 4/29/2022 at 1:30 PM, kalos said:

Same as who have always filled the ships . Folks take holidays all year round ,I used to have

20 odd days of flexible (I choose) holidays per year . I have seen plenty of kids on cruise ships

in school term . If the price is right some families will pay school fines for their kids as they 

are quid's in by doing so . Due to the low prices this will always attract  the bargain seeking 

pensioner that is willing to go regardless of the ships size .  P&O know what they're doing .

But as with everything these days there's no loyalty to anything. Where I worked people did 30,40, even 50 years for the same Company. P&O as you are probably aware have a loyalty scheme whereby you receive various percentages off your final bill and a gift and half bottle of bubbly if on a higher tier. When I sailed on Oriana on here 20th anniversary the Captain declared that virtually all the passengers on that cruise were upper tier passengers, which meant loyalty to the brand. It's entirely up to P&O what they want to achieve as a cruise line. If they wish to cast adrift their older passengers they may rue that day. Alternatively they may not ?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Cruisemeister2002 said:

I'm not a clairvoyant, but I do believe Aurora will most likely disappear within the next three years as for Arcadia I'm not sure. Funny, but of all the ships within the P&O fleet with the exception of the two newest ones we have never been on Arcadia. It would be interesting to hear the views of others about her. We are due on Iona next year as we thought we'd give her a go.

Arcadia was our first cruise ship when we began cruising, and we loved her. The standard balcony cabins are lovely with a separate sitting area, like the deluxe balconies on other ships.

She has a wonderful  two-tier theatre with comfortable, large seats.

There is no atrium, which some see as a problem.  Two of Arcadia's lifts, one port and one starboard, are glass fronted facing out towards the sea. Gave me quite a start I can tell you when the lift doors opened.

As on Aurora, (our favourite ship), there aren't as many dining options or watering holes as the larger ships, but it depends on what you want from your cruise.

We've been on Arcadia 4 times and have enjoyed every one. We have been on all P&O's smaller ships and liked every one, but it's just my personal opinion.

Avril

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Arcadia was our first cruise ship when we began cruising, and we loved her. The standard balcony cabins are lovely with a separate sitting area, like the deluxe balconies on other ships.

She has a wonderful  two-tier theatre with comfortable, large seats.

There is no atrium, which some see as a problem.  Two of Arcadia's lifts, one port and one starboard, are glass fronted facing out towards the sea. Gave me quite a start I can tell you when the lift doors opened.

As on Aurora, (our favourite ship), there aren't as many dining options or watering holes as the larger ships, but it depends on what you want from your cruise.

We've been on Arcadia 4 times and have enjoyed every one. We have been on all P&O's smaller ships and liked every one, but it's just my personal opinion.

Avril

We also like Arcadia and hopefully she will be our next sea cruise ship. I have never disliked any ship I have cruised on. For us the ship itself is not that important, even when we have had niggles with a ship it has not stopped us using it again if it was going to the right place at the right time. We have never been on Aurora albeit we have booked for next year, but only because she is going to the Greek Isles for 19 nights in October, or at least we hope she is.

• Like 6

Sailed twice on Arcadia and very much enjoyed both cruises. Plus points are the lovely theatre, beautiful two-tier main dining room, and a really good selection of bars. Minus points for me are that the Crows Nest somehow feels very low-ceilinged and the secondary showroom (the Globe) is too small and the seats never felt particularly comfortable (I haven't been on her for a long time now though so the seats might have improved...).

She does however seem a little bit of a 'marmite' ship.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

We also like Arcadia and hopefully she will be our next sea cruise ship. I have never disliked any ship I have cruised on. For us the ship itself is not that important, even when we have had niggles with a ship it has not stopped us using it again if it was going to the right place at the right time. We have never been on Aurora albeit we have booked for next year, but only because she is going to the Greek Isles for 19 nights in October, or at least we hope she is.

We are on that one too.  Have decided we will not do our cruise next April.  Just lose the deposit.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, yorkshirephil said:

We have never been on Aurora albeit we have booked for next year, but only because she is going to the Greek Isles for 19 nights in October, or at least we hope she is.

6 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

We are on that one too.  Have decided we will not do our cruise next April.  Just lose the deposit.

I thought it would be nice to try and meet up on a cruise, so I've looked online and the balconies  are sold out, so that puts paid to that idea🤔

Avril

In 2015 we did a Behind the Scenes Tour with Capt Paul Brown when Britannia was new. I asked him if the way forward for P&O was big ships ... he looked as his Dept Capt - also there - before he answered, something along the lines of yes (though I can't remember the exact phrasing). I think he knew then where it was going and at that time Britannia was the big ship. It was a definite yes, though.

Loved Oceana and love Britannia. 

I think it is pretty obvious that P&O are heading for the family friendly big ship market ...

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

I thought it would be nice to try and meet up on a cruise, so I've looked online and the balconies  are sold out, so that puts paid to that idea🤔

Avril

That would have been great Avril, balconies and suites sold out pretty much straight away. There may be a chance that some will be released if covid keeps away but they could be wait listed.

• Like 1

On 4/30/2022 at 12:46 PM, grapau27 said:

Grand Princess had a top deck refurbishment in March 2019.

We were on her in November/December 2019 to Hawaii and she seemed in great shape.

Personally once Arvia arrives I think unfortunately Arcadia and/or Aurora will be sold and possibly Azura or Ventura will take the adult only title.

I would suggest that when Arcadia and Aurora go, there will be no Adults only ships on P&O.

The reason they are adults only is for convenience - its not a marketing choice or a brand proposition. They do not have the room to offer a modern suite of children's facilities as well as all the adult facilities that they want. I went on these ships before they were adults only and they were a nightmare with a buggy & small kids. Simple answer - remove all childrens facilities and call them adults only.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

I would suggest that when Arcadia and Aurora go, there will be no Adults only ships on P&O.

The reason they are adults only is for convenience - its not a marketing choice or a brand proposition. They do not have the room to offer a modern suite of children's facilities as well as all the adult facilities that they want. I went on these ships before they were adults only and they were a nightmare with a buggy & small kids. Simple answer - remove all childrens facilities and call them adults only.

Makes total sense. 

Thise who want adult only ships will just have to pay more, and sail with Saga, Viking etc, or use the Yacht Club on MSC.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Makes total sense. 

Thise who want adult only ships will just have to pay more, and sail with Saga, Viking etc, or use the Yacht Club on MSC.

Or they could try Marella Explorer2 which is adults only. Fly cruises only though and 'perhaps' the wrong clientele 😉

Formerly Celebrity Century and the smallest of the class. Showers have doors though

7 hours ago, wowzz said:

Makes total sense. 

The Yacht Club is not adults only but rarely has children. 

6 hours ago, wowzz said:

Makes total sense. 

This is where Ambassador Cruises may be being very smart. They state that their cruises are targeted at the over 50’s and, with the exception of a number of cruises specifically marketed as family cruises, they are adult only.

Price wise they are a bit like DFS. High ticket prices which you never pay, as they are always at ‘Sale’ prices! As they are a reincarnation of CMV, this means that they are positioned towards the more ‘value’ end of the market than the other adult only operators. Not necessarily cheap, (but neither are Aurora or Arcadia), but much more in the P&O price range than Saga and Viking. 

There are some negatives with them though. Tilbury departures (not as convenient for us as Southampton and involves ‘the road from hell’ - the M25), very limited selection of accessible cabins and no freedom dining in the sole MDR.

9 hours ago, molecrochip said:

Aurora is not much better for wheelchair users either, cannot comment about Arcadia as our only cruise on her was when we were both able bodied.

12 hours ago, yorkshirephil said:

That would have been great Avril, balconies and suites sold out pretty much straight away. There may be a chance that some will be released if covid keeps away but they could be wait listed.

On that cruise too, hopefully!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, yorkshirephil said:

Now you're going to think me quite odd Phil (or maybe you already do😁) but I didn't give covid a thought as to the reason. I'll keep an eye on it, you never know.

The Greek islands is a cruise we've not yet done, and the opportunity to meet some CC friends  on our favourite ship is a bonus.

Avril

• Like 1

11 hours ago, wowzz said:

Makes total sense. 

Or Ambassador Cruises or Fred Olsen - although the only way to get a reasonable price with Fred Olsen these days is to book a late offer. For those who won't sail without a balcony though, both lines have fewer of that type of cabin.