Keeping contact with your teens

We're sailing on Wonder of the Sea next March and will have a few teens with us.  Last time we sailed, pre-covid, we purchased Surf and Stream internet pkgs, and were able to keep in contact with our kids via their electronic devices.  I've looked into buying the same pkgs this time around and the prices are absolutely ridiculous!  I would need a pkg for 3 devices and the total came to $529 CAD.

Does anyone have any other suggestions on how you were able to keep in contact with your teens on the ship?  They're old enough to venture off for a bit, but to young to have complete free reign.  Thanks!!

Depending on how old they are I would allow for a little leniency (I am guessing they are old enough to leave the kids clubs themselves), such as limiting the to 2 or 3 locations that they can freely roam to/from - as long as they are with someone else. I think it was usually the teen club, WJ, and somewhere else, unless they asked us in advance (e.g., me and my friends are going to the 6 o;clok show in XYZ theater).

In addition, we would leave a sticky pad and pens on the desk, near the mirror - we were to tell each other where we would be at all times. I know it was a "drag" to have to come back to the room to do that, but that was the rule.

They could also call the stateroom to tell us where we were going (but chances are we were not in the room)

One one cruise with extended family, the kids brought a bunch of walkee-talkees (better than the cheap ones from a toy store).  Reception, however, was sometimes not great and Wonder is much larger, which would make it worse.

Some suggestions, hope they help. . . .

• Like 2

My suggestion is to look for a sale. The lowest price is usually the Thanksgiving sale.  My teens wanted surf & stream over an excursion because they watch YouTube at night.  Is the stream version cheaper?

There is a chat through the app feature that is $1.99 per person per day. I’ve heard some people complain about messages not going through. I haven’t used it, so I can’t comment on it. 

• Like 2

We haven't cruised since covid with our teens.

We kind of make a plan the night before for sea days. Dinner is mandatory as are off ship excursions, everything else is optional (lunch, shows ect). Usually they check in during the day. They also have a curfew at night because most of the teen stuff happens at night.  We did use the chat feature and it was ok but it didn't seem to notify them they had a message they to open the ap to check. 

We gave our 13yo (at the time) free reign over the ship.  As @Jenjersaid, dinners and off ship excursions were mandatory, as were curfews.  Everything else optional.  If they had a plan for the day, let us know in the morning.  But sorry, I'm not going to have them stress over moving from the teen club to the sports court or the pool.  

Let's say for the sake of argument your teen says they're going to be at the sport court for pickup basketball.  They make some friends and the friends say "lets go to Sorrentos and get some pizza!".  What difference does it make on whether you know they're going to Sorrentos? 

Now, if you don't trust your child to not do the "wrong" thing, then have them stay with you the whole time.   

We did set a rule that they're not allowed in any else's cabin.  Whether they followed it?  Who knows. 

• Like 1

I am actually in the same situation although it's Carnival and I will have a 27, 22, 21 and 20 yr old.  Its a celebration for my daughter HS graduation 2 yrs late and son's college graduation.  We decided to pay for the cruise and any additional items they want such as drink package, internet...  they have to pay themselves.  Since cruise is in 3 months, they have plenty of time to save.  It was amazing seeing their reactions and realizing how much stuff was.  As of today, they are working out a plan of how to budget for it.  And of course if they were 11 or 12, I would pay for them gladly (mostly because no drink package yet;)

We also have dealt with teenage granddaughter.  She is, however, very responsible and checks in several times during the day.  Of course, we have the included internet so it makes it a little easier.  We also have the mandatory dinner and excursions.  Lunch we always say where we will be, although she has the schedule also, and if she shows up we have a great lunch and if not then she has found something fun to do.  It is hard letting them go but we have found that the more we let her go the more she enjoys spending the time as a family.  Good luck, I know everything will work out and everyone will have a wonderful time.

I purchase the surf and stream package for my DS. Not only to keep in touch with me but to keep in touch with the other teens onboard. They’ll use Snapchat, Instagram, etc. in addition to texting to make plans to meet up. 

On 4/29/2022 at 10:42 AM, gsalbato said:

Use Royal Caribbean's chat feature on the app. It's $1.99/day per person. You don't need the extra internet packages for it. 

This worked great for us to keep in touch with extended family who did not want full internet services.  $1.99 per person per day.    We had the voom package and still had to pay the $1.99 to chat with family.  So worth it.

We all  bought it on the second day but were charged for the  full 7 days.  

M