The Daily for Friday 04/29/2022

richwmn

Today is Arbor Day, Greenery Day, and International Dance Day

Reality continues to ruin my life.--Bill Watterson, The Complete Calvin and Hobbes

Meal Suggestion for today - Pecel lele
Drink of the Day - Bobby Burns
Wine of the Day - Pol Roger 2012 Cuvée Sir Winston Churchill Brut (
Destination of the Day - Grand Turk, Turks and Caicos

Ships With Passengers

At Sea Pacific

Nieuw Amsterdam   Destination Victoria, BC CA eta 4/30

Cherbourg, France

Rotterdam   07:00 - 17:00

Malaga, Spain Granada

Nieuw Statendam   07:00 - 17:00

Panama City, Fuerte Amador, Balboa

Noordam   - 19:00

Seattle, Washington

Koningsdam   08:00 - 17:00

Tracy Arm & Juneau, Alaska

Zuiderdam   13:00 - 22:00

Vancouver, BC Canada

Eurodam   07:00 - 17:00

Ukrainian Refugee Housing

Rotterdam Waalhaven

Volendam  

Ships Without Passengers

Catania, IT

Oosterdam   Anchorage

Great Stirrup Cay, BS

Zaandam   Anchorage

Long Beach, CA US

Westerdam   Anchorage

0429World.thumb.png.d47b688d4ef0f47c7eff5f19ce00e5a5.png
  • Like 24
  • Thanks 14

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

You're up early, big plans for the day?

It's frosty here this morning, but supposed to warm up to 11C (52F) and sunny this afternoon. 

Interesting days, love trees, love nature.  Maybe I'll dance with my sweetie today.

Love the quote, love Calvin and Hobbes.

Not sure about the meal, I'll wait until I see the recipe.

Hope the drink and wine are tasty.

Looking forward to seeing pictures of today's port, I've never been there.

Prayers for everyone.

Have a great Friday.   Stay safe.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

Good morning.

46°F and sunny here in North East England.

Thank you for today's daily and fleet reports Rich.

Interesting days.

The quote can be true in certain situations.

I will give today's food and drink a miss.

Nice port.

Prayers 🙏 for everyone in need.

I hope everyone has a nice day today.

Graham.

Screenshot_20220429_112710.jpg

Screenshot_20220429_112642.jpg

• Like 22
  • Thanks 4

Thanks for our TGIF Daily, Rich.

Great collection of days.  Planting of trees is so important.  We celebrated arbor day a bit too much here planting several trees over the years.  I admit to cursing them in the Fall when they have to be cleaned up 😉 Lots of greenery here and love dances of different countries 👍 

Good quote today and ever so true.  Not sure about the meal - will wait for Debbie’s description & the wine sounds very interesting and I suspect, pricey. 

FA9CBA8D-8D92-4DB7-A644-54CB7A499144.thumb.jpeg.a6a2b74da6b4e3d03651300ce05ea150.jpeg

I’ve had a bunch of odd jobs done around the house. Minor repairs and replacements that Jose was going to take care of.  Since it never happened, I had to take care of.  I thought this was pretty true (for me, at least):

29414F8F-5E24-4C69-A668-F412C868E4A5.thumb.jpeg.5edd93b43562443e2046dcf8e27c2393.jpeg

Ice and snow last night and the rain continues today.  I’ll go test our driveway to make sure the black ice is gone before I head out.  Hopefully it warms up enough to eliminate any of it 🤞 

C6492716-C6EA-4F91-AFFF-5FA2FA181751.jpeg.ee7f6e852fdf8f41ca962b9c552ce00f.jpeg

Thanks to everyone for the kind words last night.  They are truly appreciated. ♥️ Figured I would try to squeeze in my post early today in case things aren’t good today and I am full of doom & gloom again 😉 

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and a 🥂 to those on the Shout Out / Celebratory list.

Have a great Friday everyone !

FFE06D98-C317-4112-B376-B7CB61367E6E.jpeg.d5fcbae11792ca70d3186310204fbf1c.jpeg

Stay safe & please don’t forget your 😷 when / where needed.

• Like 35
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

10 minutes ago, richwmn said:

No big plans, just woke up and couldn't go back to sleep.

Hope everyone has a good weekend!

Do you mind a question?  I noted on another thread discussion of 14-day cruises out of Vancouver and saw that they were generally stopping in Valdez.  Valdez was actually my first HAL port of call on a 1997 SS Rotterdam cruise Seward to Vancouver.  I don't remember HAL stopping there recently.  Do you know if HAL has stopped there since you started doing the Fleet Reports?

Thanks

Roy

• Like 19

Good morning everyone.  I also woke up way too early but we are getting ready for the trek to Coney Island  Brooklyn and the aquarium.The fabulous Google map thing that talks while one drives said the 36 mile trip from here should take us one hour and 45 minutes!Oh my.

We were surrounded  by people yesterday for the first time in years .There were very cute school groups  all over as well.It was fun to see their reactions to the animals.A great day was had by all. Some parts of the Zoo required masks to protect the animals from us!

Enjoy the day everyone 

Terry

DGC's and spotted kitty

8092.jpeg

• Like 37
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Do you mind a question?  I noted on another thread discussion of 14-day cruises out of Vancouver and saw that they were generally stopping in Valdez.  Valdez was actually my first HAL port of call on a 1997 SS Rotterdam cruise Seward to Vancouver.  I don't remember HAL stopping there recently.  Do you know if HAL has stopped there since you started doing the Fleet Reports?

Thanks

Roy

Roy, we visited Valdez in 2019 on the Maasdam. It was a 14 day cruise as I recall. We were also there earlier, but I believe it was on one of the small Princess ships when they were doing the 14 day cruises. 

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2

Thank you for the TGIF Daily, Rich.  Three great days, Dance for it's beauty and trees and greenery for their contributions to the health of the planet.    The quote has been feeling pretty true the last 2+ years.  Been to Grand Turk 3 times, Crystal Serenity (2008), Koningsdam (2017), and Crystal Symphony (2019).  Since I don't eat seafood I'll pass on the meal.  My alternative is Orange and Avacado Salad, New York Strip Steak, and Cherry Crisp as served on MS Nieuw Statendam April 29, 2019:

dishes29.jpg

Today’s care list:

Sudden deterioration for Jose
Endless tests for Debbie without relief
JazzyV with likely Rheumatoid arthritis
Lady Hudson SIL moved to less appropriate facility
Cruzin Terri  post covid fatigue
Ann’s son and partner with covid
Marshhawk offline until 5/10
From the rotation:
Heartgrove older sister in hospice
msmayor’s daughter struggling with motherhood
St, Louis Sal with weakening legs and panic attacks
Cruising along niece awaiting a kidney

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Welcome aboard PoppyBanks
First BHB in Juneau

Volendam housing refugees
8 BHB with guests
summer slope with DD and DGS
Dismomx5 in Cairo  meeting new toddler and baby
Aliaschief and DW in Hawaii
A support group for Mamaofami
1 day (and covid cleared)  for oceansaway17 (Symphony OTS 4/30 to 5/7)
2 Days for NextOne River Cruise
Promising new Neurologist for 1Angelcat
Family time for smitty34877
Norseh2o (Regatta to 5/1), Horizon Chaser 1957 (Zuiderdam to 5/4),   Cruzin Terri (Nautica  to 5 /5), jawhawk66 and  sailingdutchy (Nieuw Statendam to  5/8), and leafsnation (Noordam to 5/15)  at sea
Koningsdan Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 31
  • Thanks 12

Today's land based sunrise is from  a layover between a short Carnival Inspiration cruise out of Long Beach and a Crystal Symphony cruise San Pedro to New York.  It was taken in the heart of Long Beach:

dawn0429.jpg

Roy

• Like 31
  • Thanks 3

Happy Friday everyone, sunny and cool here today.  NCL has resumed their Bermuda cruises from here, that’s always a fun sail away that I can watch from my office.  Love the collection of days, Arbor Day especially.  Cute quote and sometimes true.  Jury’s out on the food and drink, until they know what they are.  Have done some excellent snorkeling in today’s port but no pics unfortunately.  Prayers for everyone on our prayer list.  Cheers to everyone celebrating happy events today. 

• Like 24

37 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Thanks

Roy

this is what I have:

2019-05-13    ms Maasdam    Valdez (Alaska)    United States    12:00 - 20:00
    2019-06-03    ms Maasdam    Valdez (Alaska)    United States    14:00-20:00
    2019-06-24    ms Maasdam    Valdez (Alaska)    United States    12:00 - 20:00
    2022-09-17    Nieuw Amsterdam    Valdez, Alaska        08:00 - 18:00

Edited by richwmn
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 9

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily report.  I’ll wait on recipes and pictures from @dfish before deciding.  We enjoy today’s port but also don’t mind if we miss it since I’m not a big beach person.
This morning I went to pay a credit card bill and discovered about $8000 in balance transfers and fees that are fraudulent. A quick call to the bank and they should be removed.  This has happened before and the bank will not allow transfers to be turned off, disappointing.

For the dogs lovers among us.

image.png.5a76ca766cf87a9aba09ec5b9d98d34c.png

• Like 32
  • Thanks 1

Morning everyone. A quick post just to let you know I will probably not be around for at least a few days. A close cousin, more like a Sister, passed away suddenly, and I am heading up to New Hampshire to handle her arrangements and estate. About to board the plane now. 

Stay well everyone. 

• Like 19
  • Thanks 15

Good morning, everyone.  

It is a new day full of promise.  We have a bright sunshiny sky to cheer us up and it is doing just that.  Today is going to be a lazy day for me.  The only thing I have planned is getting the rest of my fabric for my next quilt cut and ready to sew.  I'm going to a quilt retreat next week and want to be ready!  

@cat shepard I am so sorry for the loss of your cousin.  Your Daily family mourns with you and we're here to lean on when you need us.

What is Indonesian cuisine without Pecel Lele? Across Indonesia, you will always find a roadside stall with iconic banners of hand-drawn catfish and other protein variants, like chicken or duck, to depict this popular dish. Known as a cheap and comforting option, Pecel Lele usually consists of deep fried catfish served with a warm plate of rice, cabbage, cucumber, basil leaves, and of course, the quintessential tomato-based sambal on the side.  https://asianfoodnetwork.com/en/recipes/cuisine/indonesian/pecel-lele.html

579830802_pecellele1.jpg.4ed8f7148129947cfe74471384fe0c46.jpg

Here is another recipe.  I couldn't find many variations of this one.  Maybe I didn't look hard enough.  https://bucatarasul-vesel.blogspot.com/2015/01/how-to-make-pecel-lele-catfish.html

1389844634_pecellele3.thumb.jpg.0b9c8054f8500ff6dc33e9bf5c227345.jpg

Here is some more information about the dish.   https://www.tasteatlas.com/pecel-lele

1962582471_pecellele2.thumb.jpg.c3e11a216dc31dadef11012cafb44058.jpg

Prayers for everyone who needs them, especially Ukraine and our Daily family members.  Hugs and support for Daily family going through a rough time right now, especially Ann @cat shepard on the loss of her cousin.   Cheers to those who are celebrating.  Wishing everyone a wonderful day.

• Like 26
  • Thanks 7

17 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Morning everyone. A quick post just to let you know I will probably not be around for at least a few days. A close cousin, more like a Sister, passed away suddenly, and I am heading up to New Hampshire to handle her arrangements and estate. About to board the plane now. 

Stay well everyone. 

So sorry for your loss. I hope your memories will bring you comfort. You and the family will be my thoughts and prayers.

Be safe

• Like 20

Good morning everyone. I love nature and greenery and I certainly can relate to the quote. Yesterday I went to the pharmacy and after taking my insurance card and vaccine card they informed me that the CDC hasn’t approved the second booster for J and J yet. I don’t know why they didn’t tell me that on the phone when I called the day before and they asked for my vaccination dates. Since I can’t take Moderna or Pfizer I just. Have to wait. I’m not sure CDC will ever approve J and J because I had to read a whole paper about the possibility of a blood clot.

Yesterday I bought tickets to Camelot at a local community theater for my whole family to celebrate my birthday at the end of June. Not sure my LA grandson will be home but just in case Ingot him a ticket too.

Off to PT today and then the podiatrist.
Stay safe everyone ,
Carol

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1