The Daily for Friday 04/29/2022

richwmn

Good Friday morning.   Usually we have greenery around this time of year but it is mainly the Daffodils, Tulips and the early leaves of the Lilac.   We had our Arbor Day project last week, I hope the kiddos liked their native Maple tree.   With two left feet I never was into dance although I enjoy it.   Reality doesn't ruin my life but what is happening in Ukraine is making me very sad.   Totally will pass on the Catfish dish.   Bobby Burns - my guess is Scotch - maybe with an Islay the only Scotch I enjoy.   Never had the Pol Roger Winston Churchill - probably pricier than Dom Perignon.   I shared a Grand Turk after @seagarsmokerposted earlier in the week.   I think I may have a couple more.  We stayed aboard.  We took it easy on our shore visits on the NS leg one in February cognizant of the Covid test we had to pass to stay aboard for leg 2.  February 22, 2022 2/2/22.   

Turks Beach 222.jpg

Double rainbow Turks.jpg

• Like 31
  • Thanks 2

Quick post of the drink of the day.  Will read back and post pictures later.

Bobby Burns:

Ingredients
1 ounce blended scotch whisky (ideally a 12-year-old)
1 ounce sweet vermouth (such as Noilly Prat rouge)
1/2 ounce Benedictine
Garnish: lemon peel

Steps
Add the scotch, vermouth and Benedictine to a mixing glass with ice and stir until well-chilled.
Strain into a cocktail glass.
Twist a lemon peel over the glass to release its oils and then drop it into the drink.

Screen Shot 2022-04-29 at 8.49.34 AM.png

• Like 19
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the TGIF Daily, Rich.  Three great days, Dance for it's beauty and trees and greenery for their contributions to the health of the planet.    The quote has been feeling pretty true the last 2+ years.  Been to Grand Turk 3 times, Crystal Serenity (2008), Koningsdam (2017), and Crystal Symphony (2019).  Since I don't eat seafood I'll pass on the meal.  My alternative is Orange and Avacado Salad, New York Strip Steak, and Cherry Crisp as served on MS Nieuw Statendam April 29, 2019:

dishes29.jpg

Today’s care list:

Sudden deterioration for Jose
Endless tests for Debbie without relief
JazzyV with likely Rheumatoid arthritis
Lady Hudson SIL moved to less appropriate facility
Cruzin Terri  post covid fatigue
Ann’s son and partner with covid
Marshhawk offline until 5/10
From the rotation:
Heartgrove older sister in hospice
msmayor’s daughter struggling with motherhood
St, Louis Sal with weakening legs and panic attacks
Cruising along niece awaiting a kidney

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Welcome aboard PoppyBanks
First BHB in Juneau

Volendam housing refugees
8 BHB with guests
summer slope with DD and DGS
Dismomx5 in Cairo  meeting new toddler and baby
Aliaschief and DW in Hawaii
A support group for Mamaofami
1 day (and covid cleared)  for oceansaway17 (Symphony OTS 4/30 to 5/7)
2 Days for NextOne River Cruise
Promising new Neurologist for 1Angelcat
Family time for smitty34877
Norseh2o (Regatta to 5/1), Horizon Chaser 1957 (Zuiderdam to 5/4),   Cruzin Terri (Nautica  to 5 /5), jawhawk66 and  sailingdutchy (Nieuw Statendam to  5/8), and leafsnation (Noordam to 5/15)  at sea
Koningsdan Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Thank you for today's lists Roy.

Extra prayers 🙏 for Jose after reading the lists.

Graham 

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

Good morning friends!  It was about 50F this morning and we stayed home to do our treadmill walking, just because.  It will be partly cloudy with a high of 79 later on.  Thanks to Rich @richwmnfor the Daily.  A lot of activity on the part of our BHBs.  Thanks also to Roy @rafinmdfor our updated Care and Celebration lists.  We do have some serious Care listings and prayers are sent up for all of you.  Special prayers for Jose and Jacqui as he experiences some painful edema.  I hope today is a better day for you both!  I also like to mention Tana, her son,  as well as Terry @smitty34877and family who do so much to care for Tana every day.  All the caregivers deserve our praise.  @cat shepardmy sympathy to you and the rest of the family on the loss of your dear cousin.  Cheers to our Celebration list of individuals.  Ann @marshhawk safe travels to Florida and we hope you have a wonderful time at Sanibel.  Terry @smitty34877your photo of the DGC with the "spotted cat" is adorable.  Enjoy all this time you are spending seeing the sights with them this week.  Jacqui @kazuyour memes this morning were so great.  Love the one about reminding the men about their chores every 3 months.  😄

Now, as for the pecel iele dish, I think I will pass on that one.  Greenery Day and Arbor day I can really appreciate since I like a nice green landscape.  Desert doesn't do anything for me.  I appreciate all who can dance since I'm not so great at that.  Grand Turk is a nice place to stop for a "beach chair next to a bar" type of person.  I'm up for that occasionally.  We last had Grand Turk for our destination on Oct. 20, 2021.  I posted then and will post the photos again for you shortly.  

Have a great day everyone and a good start to your weekend!

Edited by StLouisCruisers
  • Like 24
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cat shepard said:

Morning everyone. A quick post just to let you know I will probably not be around for at least a few days. A close cousin, more like a Sister, passed away suddenly, and I am heading up to New Hampshire to handle her arrangements and estate. About to board the plane now. 

Stay well everyone. 

I'm so sorry to hear your very sad news.

Sending our condolences to yourself and all of your cousin's family.

Graham.

• Like 17

@kazu I am so sorry to hear about Jose's edema and continued decline.  I pray that they can get the fluid out and he can get approved to go to a nursing home.   😢

@dfish I sure hope that they can figure out what is causing your pain.  If you are having such severe pain perhaps it could be the gallstones.   It is always better to get your gallbladder out if stones are present.  One can get lodged in the duct and then cause pancreatitis which is a true medical emergency.   Prayers for you getting some help.  

Prayers for all others on Roy's care list and for the souls in Mariupol.    🙏

• Like 21

I hadn't heard of Pecel lele. Dinner here will be beef bratwurst, warm carrot and potato salad, and green beans.

Lawn mowing next, and I get my second booster this afternoon.

Feral donkeys at Grand Turk. Later in the cruise the Nieuw Amsterdam diverted toward Grand Turk for a medical evacuation.

1581396215_DonkeysatGrandTurk.jpg.eab9bbe32b0b5d574625c44a78cdb990.jpg

6657733_HALmedicalevacuationnearGrandTurk.thumb.jpg.0618809ae7af003375c1f71ea3e3d29c.jpg

Edited by kochleffel
  • Like 26
  • Thanks 4

I was first at Turks and Caicos with my DD and family on an August 2010 cruise.  DH was not along on that one.  I was lucky enough to share a cabin with a 12 year old boy, and 10 and 8 year old girls.  When you walked in the room it was two bunks on the left and two bunks on the right, a window in the middle and tender #18 outside that window.  Emerald Princess was the ship.  We had such a great time!  Second time there was on the Veendam with DH.  We also stopped there one night on a different cruise for a medical evacuation.  It was pitch black outside so all we could see was an ambulance on that long dock.  

Just checking out some photos from our January 2018 stop in Grand Turk on the Veendam.  The view from the ship of the beach.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLlRLgO6vkagdgImyWYrlId?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1518269915

Oh my! 00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLHPHy6n7mjRo8lZsDX0xvz?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1518269927

We were there first but the Koningsdam arrived during our walk around on the shore.  Pulling up to the pier across from the Veendam.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJlxXsqSY8iYtwfo8oYDCdk?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1518269876

😲  I'm really gonna miss the Veendam.  I like a smaller ship.

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJc0qzH3Y_xQien2SysCvVi?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1518268350

Another look at the Margaritaville Beach.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLgz-AfcWAvC5muS4rOINij?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1518269787

The shopping area.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLj8pX5IJzLpmsPCc0nliE6?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1518269819

Before the crowds arrived

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKVjV6Vs0_6H-8cTN3bEZb3?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1518269824

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKwdPDIJyEi1QAsYP-E1yBv?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1518269832

Sit down and take a load off while your significant other does some shopping.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJZaejNoK1Kw01byKTZl9kd?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1518269850

Some damage to the palm trees on the beach due to an prior hurricane00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVII1DexvMpB9exgsJZfcrkC?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1518269858

We're on the lower right portion of this map where the red star is.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLuxHpo06BW946np0fHq1Ii?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1518269891

A local Harley Davidson store.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLVXBiAAEsgnq3KJ0ikowQp?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1518269895

Goodbye Grand Turk!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVK6GgYUh4W61y5s5EuZc8vn?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1518269940

• Like 23
  • Thanks 9

2 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Do you mind a question?  I noted on another thread discussion of 14-day cruises out of Vancouver and saw that they were generally stopping in Valdez.  Valdez was actually my first HAL port of call on a 1997 SS Rotterdam cruise Seward to Vancouver.  I don't remember HAL stopping there recently.  Do you know if HAL has stopped there since you started doing the Fleet Reports?

Thanks

Roy

Roy,

We were in Valdez in 2019 on the 21 day Maasdam cruise.

Laura

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kochleffel said:

I hadn't heard of Pecel lele. Dinner here will be beef bratwurst, warm carrot and potato salad, and green beans.

Lawn mowing next, and I get my second booster this afternoon.

Feral donkeys at Grand Turk. Later in the cruise the Nieuw Amsterdam diverted toward Grand Turk for a medical evacuation.

1581396215_DonkeysatGrandTurk.jpg.eab9bbe32b0b5d574625c44a78cdb990.jpg

6657733_HALmedicalevacuationnearGrandTurk.thumb.jpg.0618809ae7af003375c1f71ea3e3d29c.jpg

Thanks for the photo of the CG Jayhawk. These were acquired after my time in the Coast Guard.

• Like 15

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I was first at Turks and Caicos with my DD and family on an August 2010 cruise.  DH was not along on that one.  I was lucky enough to share a cabin with a 12 year old boy, and 10 and 8 year old girls.  When you walked in the room it was two bunks on the left and two bunks on the right, a window in the middle and tender #18 outside that window.  Emerald Princess was the ship.  We had such a great time!  Second time there was on the Veendam with DH.  We also stopped there one night on a different cruise for a medical evacuation.  It was pitch black outside so all we could see was an ambulance on that long dock.  

Just checking out some photos from our January 2018 stop in Grand Turk on the Veendam.  The view from the ship of the beach.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLlRLgO6vkagdgImyWYrlId?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1518269915

Oh my! 00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLHPHy6n7mjRo8lZsDX0xvz?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1518269927

We were there first but the Koningsdam arrived during our walk around on the shore.  Pulling up to the pier across from the Veendam.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJlxXsqSY8iYtwfo8oYDCdk?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1518269876

😲  I'm really gonna miss the Veendam.  I like a smaller ship.

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJc0qzH3Y_xQien2SysCvVi?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1518268350

Another look at the Margaritaville Beach.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLgz-AfcWAvC5muS4rOINij?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1518269787

The shopping area.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLj8pX5IJzLpmsPCc0nliE6?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1518269819

Before the crowds arrived

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKVjV6Vs0_6H-8cTN3bEZb3?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1518269824

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKwdPDIJyEi1QAsYP-E1yBv?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1518269832

Sit down and take a load off while your significant other does some shopping.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJZaejNoK1Kw01byKTZl9kd?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1518269850

Some damage to the palm trees on the beach due to an prior hurricane00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVII1DexvMpB9exgsJZfcrkC?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1518269858

We're on the lower right portion of this map where the red star is.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLuxHpo06BW946np0fHq1Ii?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1518269891

A local Harley Davidson store.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLVXBiAAEsgnq3KJ0ikowQp?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1518269895

Goodbye Grand Turk!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVK6GgYUh4W61y5s5EuZc8vn?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1518269940

Fond memories of the Veendam which was our first HAL ship. Captain O'Driscoll was her Master then and he is now the Master of the Nieuw Statendam.

• Like 19

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  Trees are so important for our earth; we should all be planting more in cities and the countryside.  I much prefer greenery to desert.  Depending on what's on the radio, I might convince DH to do a quick dance with me around the kitchen today.  We did take ballroom dance lessons for a while, but well, that didn't work out so good.  LOL

Home again, home again, jiggity jig.  After a week in Calgary with DS and his family we slept in our own beds last night.  It was a great week, filled with giggles, laughter, and the best part of all when the little 2 year old grandson looked up at me while I was washing his hands and said:  "Gama, I love you."   Sigh.    The drive home was uneventful except for the fact that DH seems to have done something to his right knee.  He had the left one replaced about 5 years ago and says the sharp pain he's experiencing is the same as he had in the left before surgery.  While we were on the road (I drove the whole way home), I activated the handsfree part of our car and called to make an appointment with our doctor for this afternoon.  We'll see what happens.

I'm sorry I missed so many wonderful events this past week and send my good wishes to all.  @cat shepardI am saddened for you at the loss of your cousin.

Sochi was happy to see us yesterday, so I expect I'll be calling her Velcro Cat today as she will likely not leave my side except to eat.   Despite DH's painful knee, he helped carry a couple of things in from the car (we made our usual trek to IKEA, resulting in a back seat full of large blue bags) before settling into his recliner.  I managed to unload the rest of the car, unpack the suitcases and go through the mail before collapsing into bed last night.  Not a lot to be happening today except for laundry.

I think I'd like today's menu suggestion, but it's Friday night pizza night at our house.  We'll check the online menus to see what appeals to us and will probably pick one up to set on the dinner table tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Extra prayers for the people of Ukraine and all who are providing aid.  Extra also for our Daily family with health and family issues.  We'll raise our glasses together to celebrate all on the happy list.  Stay safe, get your boosters, wear your masks when you need to and be well.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 35

26 minutes ago, Heartgrove said:

Thanks for the photo of the CG Jayhawk. These were acquired after my time in the Coast Guard.

The captain told us that it had come from Great Inagua in the Bahamas. On the surface, Grand Turk seems like an odd place for a medical evacuation since it has only a 10-bed hospital and the hospital at Providenciales is only 20 beds, but the purpose was to transfer the patient to a fixed-wing aircraft for evacuation to Miami.

• Like 16

I have done some excellent snorkeling in Grand Turk.  Always enjoy the photos.  Veendam was my first HAL ship too.  Really prefer the smaller ships,  miss her.

To me Pecel lele is just fried catfish with Indonesian spices.  I eat fish but if my husband wants fish and chips we go out for it.  Frying makes to much of a mess and frying fish makes the house smell too.

Wish everyone a peaceful and relaxing weekend.

• Like 24

3 hours ago, cat shepard said:

Morning everyone. A quick post just to let you know I will probably not be around for at least a few days. A close cousin, more like a Sister, passed away suddenly, and I am heading up to New Hampshire to handle her arrangements and estate. About to board the plane now. 

Stay well everyone. 

Very sorry for your loss, Ann. Praying for safe travels, comfort and peace. We are here for you.

• Like 17

2 hours ago, ottahand7 said:

@dfish I sure hope that they can figure out what is causing your pain.  If you are having such severe pain perhaps it could be the gallstones.   It is always better to get your gallbladder out if stones are present.  One can get lodged in the duct and then cause pancreatitis which is a true medical emergency.   Prayers for you getting some help.  

I'm thinking it is the gall bladder as well.  The ultrasound next Wednesday will tell us what the story is.  I just wish they'd quit finding stuff.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 6

3 hours ago, cat shepard said:

Stay well everyone. 

Ann, our condolences on the sudden passing of your cousin.  I hope the great memories you have of her will comfort you, her family and friends in the days ahead.

Lenda

• Like 17