Glacier Bay vs Ketchikan with Princess

Jlhutch6

We’re booked with the Crown Princess June 25 and Ketchikan was dropped. I see some switching on our roll cal to Discover on the 26 that doesn’t go to Glacier Bay but includes Ketchikan. That doesn’t seem worth it but I don’t know. We had scheduled a rainforest walk with Wild Wolf Tours and they gave our money back. We watched YouTube videos of Ketchikan and it’s very picturesque but I’m sure I’d rather see Glacier Bay. Is this propulsion issue so dire that we may not cruise at all? We have non refundable plane tickets to Seattle 6/24-7/2 so we’d have to scramble to plan a Seattle area vacation

• Like 1

If you're asking if Ketchikan is > Glacier Bay, then all one needs to do is look at the logistics of getting there.  Since it's a ridiculous amount of time/money to get to Glacier Bay Lodge to take their catamaran, and probably lodge there for 2 nights just to be able to do it...

I'm guessing anybody who would willingly drop Glacier Bay has already been there.

• Thanks 1

A Seattle area land vacation would be expensive.  You would have to budget for lodging, car rental, food and dining out.   Personally, I think from a budget perspective that either of the two cruise options would be less expensive than a Seattle land  based vacation.

Many folks cruise to Alaska thinking that it will just be a one-and-done bucket list trip.  They end up falling in love with Alaska and the ease of travel, and they end up returning.  While missing Ketchikan may be disappointing, I think your Crown Princess cruise does stop at Icy Strait Point, which is beautiful.   It is also an amazing whale-watching area.

Good luck with your decision.

• Thanks 1

Yep, stick with Glacier Bay.  Ketchikan is nice and we’ve enjoyed our many trips there, but no other glacier visit (Tracy Arm, Hubbard) can compare to Glacier Bay.

Icy Strait Point is a lovely place to visit as well.  Whale watching, zip lining, hiking, wildlife tours, hiking—lots to do!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Last visited both in 2019.  Ketchikan had really changed since 2004.  I did go on a kayak trip, 1/2 day that was very nice.  Ketchikan has built facilities for the tourist trade.

Glacier bay is incredible.

If you are going to Juneau and you leave late, there was a dinner cruise out to the bay where we watched a whale fin slapping for almost 30 minutes.  Then watched the antics of a young seal trying to join an older, larger seal on a buoy.  Just couldn’t make the leap!  Beautiful views of the sunset on the high glaciers.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/1/2022 at 10:52 AM, Moorecc70 said:

Last visited both in 2019.  Ketchikan had really changed since 2004.  I did go on a kayak trip, 1/2 day that was very nice.  Ketchikan has built facilities for the tourist trade.

Glacier bay is incredible.

If you are going to Juneau and you leave late, there was a dinner cruise out to the bay where we watched a whale fin slapping for almost 30 minutes.  Then watched the antics of a young seal trying to join an older, larger seal on a buoy.  Just couldn’t make the leap!  Beautiful views of the sunset on the high glaciers.

How did you book the dinner cruise?

• Thanks 1

Glacier Bay over Ketchikan for sure. Yes there are some interesting things in Ketchikan but GLACIERS. They won't be there for a lot longer- Ketchikan will. You mention the propulsion- is the ship having problems with propulsion? That could be an issue- aren't they planning on fixing it? If it is serious enough to require dropping an entire stop I'd want to investigate that issue- getting stuck in the middle of no where would not be fun. 

• Thanks 1

On 4/30/2022 at 6:28 AM, Jlhutch6 said:

We’re booked with the Crown Princess June 25 and Ketchikan was dropped. I see some switching on our roll cal to Discover on the 26 that doesn’t go to Glacier Bay but includes Ketchikan. That doesn’t seem worth it but I don’t know. We had scheduled a rainforest walk with Wild Wolf Tours and they gave our money back. We watched YouTube videos of Ketchikan and it’s very picturesque but I’m sure I’d rather see Glacier Bay. Is this propulsion issue so dire that we may not cruise at all? We have non refundable plane tickets to Seattle 6/24-7/2 so we’d have to scramble to plan a Seattle area vacation

Ketchikan is a shoppers heaven, yes it is picturesque but Glacier Bay is a must. You'll kick yourself in the rear end if you don't go. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would not book an Alaska cruise without Glacier Bay!  It is the entire reason for the trip and words just don't describe the majestic beauty!!  And when a glacier calves, it's like a shotgun but louder and reverberating off the other glaciers.  We were there in 2005 and can't wait to go back in June, 2022.

• Thanks 1

Glacier Bay is amazing. But we did a float plane in Ketchikan through the Misty Fjords and that was my favorite thing on the entire cruise. It depends on what you feel more inclined to do. GB is a day of breathtaking scenery and great for wild life watching w binoculars.

• Thanks 1