Edge Transatlantic Testing positive for Covid

bananavan

1 hour ago, Tony UK said:

We were truly shocked when we arrived at our 11-00 am allotted time to the retreat lounge at Port Everglades to find the room absolutely packed...I mean standing room only. Very Very few with face coverings. We were so relieved to get out of there. Even entitled suite guests should keep to their allocated time and held in line as guests in other categories were. We were told not to come early but clearly everyone ignored that!!

Suite guests are able to board at any time, the assigned boarding times do no apply to suites or Zenith.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, MDTrip said:

Where did you quarantine in Amsterdam? Do you have anyplace to recommend? Was it easy to get food delivered or get take-out food? Thank you. 

MDTrip-My symptoms (stuffy nose) started about 4 days before getting the positive result. I thought I had allergies because it was windy and, after all, it is spring. Anyway, I was able to move about since my symptoms had subsided but I had to wear a mask for 5 days. So I didn't have to quarantine and was able to get food myself by then.

Keep in mind though that the airlines will not allow you fly for 10 days from the positive test (with the test date as day 0). CDC regulations states travel after 10 days from symptoms or 10 days from a positive test if no symptoms. So we had to book a hotel for 10 days and stayed at the Hilton Schiphol Airport. Excellent hotel, good food and very pleasant staff. The airport worked out best for us because by week 2 we were taking the train to outlying areas for the day and trying to make the best of the situation. We also had contacted friends from Germany who came to visit.

If you would rather stay in Amsterdam Center I would recommend Banks Mansion. We've stayed there twice in the past and it was my second choice.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, 360Guy said:

Almost entirely British passengers with 200 “others”.  England has zero quarantine, no test to return and stopped paying for tests.  Self test kits were hard to come by.  While very high vaccinated and boosted percentage, 99% unmasked and rampant coughing and sneezing.  

Maybe it’s because in England we now consider it endemic.The vast majority of people have no more symptoms than a common cold or mild flu. Most don’t  even test and there is no mandate to self isolate if positive although guidance suggests we should. Numbers continue to drop and speaking to staff in my local hospital  this week there are no patients in ICU with covid and very few admissions for covid related illness. Those who are tend to be mainly unvaccinated. I currently have covid and can honestly say if I didn’t have to test to attend hospital this week  I would not  have even known,  I thought it was just pollen allergy. With increased knowledge of covid, effective vaccines, a milder strain with omicron and anti viral drugs it’s really time to move on and stop treating this virus like we did two years ago. We are in different times now and although some are hesitant maybe it’s time to consider moving forward and start treating this disease like any other virus and not the plague. 

• Like 8

For anyone who wants to simply tell me that they are smarter and healthier and just all around better than me, please move along. 
This is for the rest .

On May 2, I presented to the Medical Department because of severe pain in my mid back and what felt like swelling under my left ribs. I was charged, paid for medications at the Highway Robbery rate and sent on my way. 
Because I was in a Suite and my husband was already in Quarantine I was regularly soaking in a warm bath in the middle of the night to ease the pain. 
On May 3, I returned to the Medical center where the triage individual told me that I should let the medicine work. It was Mag Citrate and as anyone who has had a Colonoscopy would know, that should have happened. 
On May 4 the pain had been unbearable during the night. With tears welling up in my eyes I returned one more time. 
The Dr on Duty convinced me that I should be sent to a Local Hospital. 
I won't bore you with the details but I had a CT Scan, blood work, urinalysis and then thrown back into society on my own with a ship to catch. 
Since then CRICKETS!!! 
And 6 days later  I tested positive for Covid, what I am now calling Ebola 2 because that is how they treat you. 
Since my Covid Quarantine nobody from the Medical Department has asked about the super expensive shore excursion. 
Last night when the person who calls from the Medical center called about my situation I brought up the pain which is now keeping me up throughout the night. 
Once again the Mighty Tylenol was recommended along with a pain pill that was prescribed by the hospital 
Now nobody there has any copy of my blood work or my urinalysis. 
Nobody knows how much Tylenol I have been taking. 
Nobody knows anything about my medications or medical conditions. 
Just take Tylenol 
Yes, I am becoming less amused. 
What the hell are the credentials of anyone who is presently working on Celebrity ships?
 How do I know that the person who keeps telling me to take Tylenol is indeed even remotely Pharmaceutically or Medically  trained? 
How do I know that the Drs onboard even have the knowledge or authority to have prescribed Anti Virals as they should have from the beginning? 
I feel warehoused. 
I feel totally ignored 
We are in a cabin that is smaller than anything that I would ever have paid for. 
There are no chairs to sit on. 
I get to eat my food from a patio side table. 
Why is Nate Berkus even putting his name on the decor? Has he heard of chairs and tables and comfort? 
For the past 50 years my husband and I chose to eat every meal at a dedicated table with supportive chairs. And here we are. Eating like refugees who have arrived without a plan  and are in detention. 
The food that arrives is like a game of "Guess what they forgot to give you this time?"  Or "Some like it hot, too bad we dont think that applies to you." 
We have even tried ordering the same food for each of us. 
Sometimes we only get one of those items. 
We could try ordering the appetizers first and then wait and order  the main course later but that would probably be worse 
We are obviously in need of a dedicated Room Service number. A Dedicated and easily reached Covid Concierge.
AND for anyone (I would have been one of those people) who says: "Come on, food is not that big a deal" try wondering when you are going to be able to order something. We cannot go anywhere to simply graze. .Celebrity won't need to worry about this for much longer. The seven day cruisers will have disembarked before their symptoms appear. 
I will probably still be on. I am betting that I will be taking Italy's 21 day Challenge. 
Happy Sunday to everyone. 
I have hit the wall. 

• Like 5

8 hours ago, sunlover33 said:

Maybe it’s because in England we now consider it endemic.The vast majority of people have no more symptoms than a common cold or mild flu. Most don’t  even test and there is no mandate to self isolate if positive although guidance suggests we should. Numbers continue to drop and speaking to staff in my local hospital  this week there are no patients in ICU with covid and very few admissions for covid related illness. Those who are tend to be mainly unvaccinated. I currently have covid and can honestly say if I didn’t have to test to attend hospital this week  I would not  have even known,  I thought it was just pollen allergy. With increased knowledge of covid, effective vaccines, a milder strain with omicron and anti viral drugs it’s really time to move on and stop treating this virus like we did two years ago. We are in different times now and although some are hesitant maybe it’s time to consider moving forward and start treating this disease like any other virus and not the plague. 

I have the covid like illness and turned out to be pollens allergy problem in Madrid or may be I just got a cold.

The air condition is bad 

I been sneezing and some dry cough for a few days now.

just tested an hour ago so hopefully I am good to fly home tomorrow.

I have tested twice 2 days ago and this morning and was negative 

for precaution of covid I been taking Tylenol for the pass two days 

I think the double booster help from getting covid.

Edited by verizon
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bananavan said:

For anyone who wants to simply tell me that they are smarter and healthier and just all around better than me, please move along. 
This is for the rest .

On May 2, I presented to the Medical Department because of severe pain in my mid back and what felt like swelling under my left ribs. I was charged, paid for medications at the Highway Robbery rate and sent on my way. 
Because I was in a Suite and my husband was already in Quarantine I was regularly soaking in a warm bath in the middle of the night to ease the pain. 
On May 3, I returned to the Medical center where the triage individual told me that I should let the medicine work. It was Mag Citrate and as anyone who has had a Colonoscopy would know, that should have happened. 
On May 4 the pain had been unbearable during the night. With tears welling up in my eyes I returned one more time. 
I won't bore you with the details but I had a CT Scan, blood work, urinalysis and then thrown back into society on my own with a ship to catch. 
Since then CRICKETS!!! 
And 6 days later  I tested positive for Covid, what I am now calling Ebola 2 because that is how they treat you. 
Since my Covid Quarantine nobody from the Medical Department has asked about the super expensive shore excursion. 
Last night when the person who calls from the Medical center called about my situation I brought up the pain which is now keeping me up throughout the night. 
Once again the Mighty Tylenol was recommended along with a pain pill that was prescribed by the hospital 
Just take Tylenol 
What the hell are the credentials of anyone who is presently working on Celebrity ships?
 How do I know that the person who keeps telling me to take Tylenol is indeed even remotely Pharmaceutically or Medically  trained? 
How do I know that the Drs onboard even have the knowledge or authority to have prescribed Anti Virals as they should have from the beginning? 
I feel warehoused. 
I feel totally ignored 
We are in a cabin that is smaller than anything that I would ever have paid for. 
Why is Nate Berkus even putting his name on the decor? Has he heard of chairs and tables and comfort? 
For the past 50 years my husband and I chose to eat every meal at a dedicated table with supportive chairs. And here we are. Eating like refugees who have arrived without a plan  and are in detention. 
The food that arrives is like a game of "Guess what they forgot to give you this time?"  Or "Some like it hot, too bad we dont think that applies to you." 
We could try ordering the appetizers first and then wait and order  the main course later but that would probably be worse 
We are obviously in need of a dedicated Room Service number. A Dedicated and easily reached Covid Concierge.
AND for anyone (I would have been one of those people) who says: "Come on, food is not that big a deal" try wondering when you are going to be able to order something. We cannot go anywhere to simply graze. .Celebrity won't need to worry about this for much longer. The seven day cruisers will have disembarked before their symptoms appear. 
I will probably still be on. I am betting that I will be taking Italy's 21 day Challenge. 
I have hit the wall. 

I really feel for you and if it just reiterates that if you'd been able to stay in your original cabin, it would have been so much better for your "mental health". 

Could you have chosen to go to a quarantine hotel on land? Also, if half way round the next leg, if you do test negative and get released back into society can you finish that cruise....where do they put you, as I imagine your original cabin has gone?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, bananavan said:

This is for the rest .

Since then CRICKETS!!! 
Just take Tylenol 
I feel warehoused. 
I feel totally ignored 
I have hit the wall. 

My heart goes out to you and your husband. This is like a never ending nightmare. I truly hope there is soon light at the end of the tunnel for you both and you get home ASAP.

I hope you document this clearly in chronological order and let Celebrity and the RCG know what you have gone through

• Like 6

On 5/14/2022 at 9:30 AM, bananavan said:

Just to clarify. We have fresh air as a result of being in an Infinite balcony. The top window can be pulled down in order to allow for fresh air. My husband was not as lucky when he was first moved to his last cabin. It was only when I went to the Customer Relations desk and asked why he could not be moved that things changed. 
I will admit, I did lose it this morning. I became almost inconsolable at the thought of possibly testing positive tomorrow. I was not upset for me as much as I was that my husband has chosen to stay with me. 
We cannot leave the confines of this stateroom.  
I want him to be able to continue his post surgery recovery but that is not going to happen. 
And because today is Embarkation day, there is no Room Service and the Quaranteeners are fairly well forgotten. I had to wait n hold for Customer Relations to answer in order to have the Internet restored. 
I am sure that they were bombarded by so many Entitled Guests who want something for nothing. 
The high stress level on  Embarkation day is truly remarkable. 
IF anyone is listening: 
If we are to be all on the same deck why can there not be a Covid Concierge within phone call distance? 
This is a lonely place. There is no dedicated phone number for either Covid information, fresh towels or room service. 
If they would allow me access to a hallway, I could totally revamp this system in less than 15 minutes. (I dont need the hallway I just want a change of scenery. ) 
My organizational skills are those of a former old-fashioned housewife. You try getting one to baseball, the other to Clarinet lessons and your husband's suit to the cleaners all before the Stock Market closes. 🙂

Thanks for sharing your experiences. I tested positive on Apex on May 12...my husband was negative. At that point the Capt had announced positives were at 3% and everyone was to mask except while eating or drinking.

My symptoms were that of a head cold/sinus pressure. We were to fly home on May 14 and would need negative Covid results so I self-tested and when that was positive called medical. They came to our SS and tested both of us. I was positive and DH negative. We stayed in our cabin and Celebrity gave us our options the next day....we could stay onboatd for the next cruise....12 nt British Isles...or quarantine for 10 days in an Amsterdam hotel with $$ toward hotel cost and nothing for food. We opted to stay onboard....

as have about 50 others....and are all on deck 6.  My DH chose to quarantine with me but could have had his own IV cabin on deck 9.

Today is Day 2 and having a floor to ceiling window that opens to allow fresh air in is a huge plus. Downside is Room Service. Even though yesterday was embarkation day we had 4 choices for lunch and the DR or RS menu for dinner. Only problem was we have no access to the APP so have no idea what is on the MDR menu. Time from order to delivery is very slow and food has been lukewarm at best. I'm hoping it will get better. 

This is certainly not what we....or anyone else anticipated...but we're trying to make the best of the situation. I do think that written communication about procedures and a dedicated phone # for those in quarantine would benefit both Guest Services staff and those in quarantine. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

sue - Hope you feel better and out and about soon.  Had you and your DH chosen the hotel in Amsterdam, was it considered a "quarantine" hotel, or was Celebrity just paying for a hotel.  In other words, were you going to be monitored?  If food not included, how were you to get food if  you could not leave the hotel?

For all those stuck on the ship, whether by your choice or not, at least have a place to stay during your illness and it is provided for you at no charge.  Albeit the conditions are not stellar. 

We are taking a land trip to England and France in July.  Should we become ill or need to quarantine before flying back to the U.S.A., we are on-our-own to find and pay for accommodations.   We have purchased expensive insurance to hopefully cover us should that scenario arise.

I think the that the Ukrainian "refugees" would love to be in a nice cabin being served whatever they could get, eating off of a small table, and sleeping in a real bed.

Edited by Iamthesea
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Iamthesea said:

sue - Hope you feel better and out and about soon.  Had you and your DH chosen the hotel in Amsterdam, was it considered a "quarantine" hotel, or was Celebrity just paying for a hotel.  In other words, were you going to be monitored?  If food not included, how were you to get food if  you could not leave the hotel?

For all those stuck on the ship, whether by your choice or not, at least have a place to stay during your illness and it is provided for you at no charge.  Albeit the conditions are not stellar. 

We are taking a land trip to England and France in July.  Should we become ill or need to quarantine before flying back to the U.S.A., we are on-our-own to find and pay for accommodations.   We have purchased expensive insurance to hopefully cover us should that scenario arise.

I think the that the Ukrainian "refugees" would love to be in a nice cabin being served whatever they could get, eating off of a small table, and sleeping in a real bed.

Thabks....We could choose our hotel and were told if we chose that option we have to stay for 10 days but could leave the room after 5 days. Since we didn't want that option I don't know if there would be monitoring but do know you'd either have to have Room Service or Delivery for food and would be on your own to get a Certificate of Recovery...if you had tested + or - Covid test if you were Negative like my husband is.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, bananavan said:

This is for the rest .

Since then CRICKETS!!! 
Just take Tylenol 
I feel warehoused. 
I feel totally ignored 
I have hit the wall. 

That is rough. I hope you test negative soon and start to feel better. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

We could choose our hotel and were told if we chose that option we have to stay for 10 days but could leave the room after 5 days.

I'm curious if you had the chance to make the decision again, would you make the same choice to stay aboard?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, bananavan said:

Sometimes it's hard to see the big picture when you are in the middle of it. If your pain is getting worse and you don't think it is stress maybe it is time to get off the ship and seek medical care. The onboard doctor is not equipped,  willing and/or able to help you. 

• Like 2

I feel for everyone that has become sick with this virus and moved to quarantine. After reading this thread and several others, we know that we made the correct decision to cancel our trip to Italy next week. Even though our cruise was only seven nights we were spending almost three weeks in Italy/cruising. Too many opportunities to catch this virus and the need to quarantine or become very I’ll too far away from home.

I hope that all affected get better soon. What’s been described here by some on the way X is handling the situation is almost criminal. 

• Like 4

17 hours ago, jelayne said:

Suite guests are able to board at any time, the assigned boarding times do no apply to suites or Zenith.

Well we were in a suite and given embarkation timeslot and asked to stick to it and NOT come early. It is part of the health protocols aimed at avoiding crowded spaces and keeping us safe. Having sailed a number of times as a suite guest I do recognise what you say but was still shocked to see the lounge so packed so early and nothing done to ease the situation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, cruisingator2 said:

I feel for everyone that has become sick with this virus and moved to quarantine. After reading this thread and several others, we know that we made the correct decision to cancel our trip to Italy next week. Even though our cruise was only seven nights we were spending almost three weeks in Italy/cruising. Too many opportunities to catch this virus and the need to quarantine or become very I’ll too far away from home.

I hope that all affected get better soon. What’s been described here by some on the way X is handling the situation is almost criminal. 

1 hour ago, JFontaine said:

Sometimes it's hard to see the big picture when you are in the middle of it. If your pain is getting worse and you don't think it is stress maybe it is time to get off the ship and seek medical care. The onboard doctor is not equipped,  willing and/or able to help you. 

Fortunately I was seen this afternoon. 
I had blood work done and intravenous medications given. 
I think that the entire Covid situation has overwhelmed the cruiselines. They really do not have a clue what to do about any of it.
And, you are correct, the average Cruise ship doctor has little knowledge of how to handle the big picture things, 
Perhaps give out bandaids, Tylenol, and the occasional seasickness pill. |Some cruise lines have dedicated Medical personnel. Cunard does, and they are much more prepared to handle the bigger things.
And were I reading this thread, I would have canceled our cruise to the Med this year as well. 
Thanks. 
Thank you so much for your concern. It is truly appreciated.  

• Like 4

On 5/14/2022 at 11:13 AM, drarill said:

No problem with people testing privately, but I do have a problem with positives spreading the virus, making their own protocols.  It doesn't matter if you are vaccinated or already had the virus, it is wrong and irresponsible. Yesterday the Eclipse and the Apex passengers were ordered to use masks again.  After a common cold people don't have an elevated risk of a DVT, stroke, heart attack  or PE, and I'm not going to start talking about Long COVID. This is not a common cold. 

If you feel this way I hope you are not cruising in the near future.

5 hours ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

Yes I would. 

What about your husband? Wouldn’t it have been better for him to go to deck 9? What if he catches it from you?

We were on the Edge in late January after I had COVID and we moved our cruise date.  After that cruise my Wife tested positive.  We have an upcoming late June cruise and while we have some increased immunity now, we are considering how to handle a quarantine situation.  If we are not being appropriately taken care of we figured we would strap on our KN95 mask and go to the buffet, get our own food and bring it back to our cabin.  So my question is, what happens if you leave your cabin or in @bananavan case a prison if in quarantine?  A passenger has rights.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bananavan said:

Fortunately I was seen this afternoon. 
I had blood work done and intravenous medications given. 
I think that the entire Covid situation has overwhelmed the cruiselines. They really do not have a clue what to do about any of it.
And, you are correct, the average Cruise ship doctor has little knowledge of how to handle the big picture things, 
Perhaps give out bandaids, Tylenol, and the occasional seasickness pill. |Some cruise lines have dedicated Medical personnel. Cunard does, and they are much more prepared to handle the bigger things.
And were I reading this thread, I would have canceled our cruise to the Med this year as well. 
Thanks. 
Thank you so much for your concern. It is truly appreciated.  

I am so sorry for all you have been through.  I for one am extremely grateful that you braved the ridiculous criticism from the few to alert us all by generously sharing your story. Unless passengers are allowed to quarantine in their own cabin (or one with fresh air), and the quarantine/ testing rules in Italy and to return to the US change, we are canceling our trip that disembarks in Rome and not going to try Celebrity Retreat for a while.  We will try to stick with shorter US based cruises where at least we can get off and go home, and with cruise companies that have clear (and comfortable, ie, fresh air inclusive) covid protocols…

or (gulp) not cruising for a while.  

• Like 4

12 hours ago, bnurick said:

We were on the Edge in late January after I had COVID and we moved our cruise date.  After that cruise my Wife tested positive.  We have an upcoming late June cruise and while we have some increased immunity now, we are considering how to handle a quarantine situation.  If we are not being appropriately taken care of we figured we would strap on our KN95 mask and go to the buffet, get our own food and bring it back to our cabin.  So my question is, what happens if you leave your cabin or in @bananavan case a prison if in quarantine?  A passenger has rights.

We are not able to leave. The entrance to the Quarantine area is clearly marked and it requires a special mechanism to open this.
I only know this because when I was taken to the Medical center yesterday it was extremely strict.The nurse who accompanied me kept looking around to make sure that I was following closely and not touching anything. 
When I was in pre-Quarantine, (ie: myhusband had tested positive and was already in Quarantine) I was not permitted to eat anywhere on the ship other than in my suite. And I was not permitted to collect food or drink anywhere else. I had to order room service. 
So, I have eaten in Luminae for two breakfasts and one Dinner since April 30. 
There should be dining height tables made available to those who are forced to eat tepid, late food on their laps. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, tinaincc said:

If you feel this way I hope you are not cruising in the near future.

What about your husband? Wouldn’t it have been better for him to go to deck 9? What if he catches it from you?

My husband had a bad case of Covid last year and spent 7 days in the hospital with Pneumonia. I didn't get it from him and we're hoping he doesn't get it from me. He's been tested 4 times...

most recently last night... and results continue to be NEGATIVE. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, bananavan said:

We are not able to leave. The entrance to the Quarantine area is clearly marked and it requires a special mechanism to open this.
I only know this because when I was taken to the Medical center yesterday it was extremely strict.The nurse who accompanied me kept looking around to make sure that I was following closely and not touching anything. 
When I was in pre-Quarantine, (ie: myhusband had tested positive and was already in Quarantine) I was not permitted to eat anywhere on the ship other than in my suite. And I was not permitted to collect food or drink anywhere else. I had to order room service. 
So, I have eaten in Luminae for two breakfasts and one Dinner since April 30. 
There should be dining height tables made available to those who are forced to eat tepid, late food on their laps. 

Hope you're feeling better.

I agree about dining height table. One person can eat at the desk but the other has a low, small table. Yesterday I put the cushion from one chair on the other chair and used it for my "table". It's taller but still awkward as my knees can't go under the chair but turning it at an angle helped. Food last night came quicker and was hotter and tasty.

We're adapting and figuring things out and we go along. My DH is still testing negative and I have my day 5 test tomorrow. 

• Like 2