Edge Transatlantic Testing positive for Covid

bananavan

6 hours ago, ShelleyQT said:

How horrible!!  It would cost them nothing to give both of you WiFi.  It would cost them virtually nothing to give you the drinks package.  It costs them nothing to give your DH decent food.  It is cruel to deny anyone fresh air and exercise, even if it's just to let Covid-positive people some time reserved just for them on the walking/jogging track, and he should be allowed a balcony.  We know that people catch Covid when they have a certain number of Covid particles (saturation level) in the air... and being outside dilutes this enough that people don't catch Covid outside unless they are right next to each other for an extended period of time, especially on a moving cruise ship that has air blowing all over the place!

This all feels like it's designed to make people decide to get off the ship instead of staying on for the return trip.

Celebrity definitely needs to do better than this.

I am in quarantine on APEX. This is my Day 7 of 10. Food options from RS are the MDR menu and/or Room Service...so plenty of choices. My DH and I have exercised every day. DH has walked in the cabin every day at least once per hour and, according to his FITBIT, he's logging about 6 miles each day. I put on some workout style music and dance. We have Wi-Fi and since banavan is posting she must too. Quarantine isn't what any of us want to do but we're trying to make the best of it. 

• Like 10

15 hours ago, canderson said:

Ah, so this isn't your typical 'still testing positive but healthy to fly home' COR!

Yikes.  Testing positive on any cruise disembarking in Italy would be a real train wreck.  I understand Bananavan's situation more clearly after your post of the Italian site.

Celebrity should have been …and should be …far more upfront and clear with all port/country quarantine restrictions so that peoples eyes are wide open when booking or making that final payment. I haven’t been able to find anything - but do they have fluid/up to date links to these quarantine restrictions somewhere? It’s not hard to have a page with current country protocols for the embarkation/disembarkation ports.

But- that’s not good for sales. 

Edited by mickeysgal
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, mickeysgal said:

Celebrity should have been …and should be …far more upfront and clear with all port/country quarantine restrictions so that peoples eyes are wide open when booking or making that final payment. I haven’t been able to find anything - but do they have fluid/up to date links to these quarantine restrictions somewhere? It’s not hard to have a page with current country protocols for the embarkation/disembarkation ports.

But- that’s not good for sales. 

Information is available to anyone who want to look a the governments web-site.

As adult travelers we should take responsibility to understand what the protocols are where we are traveling.  If you fly to a foreign country do airlines or hotels tell you- oh  by the way if you get sick in ___________ country here’s what will happen? 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, jelayne said:

Information is available to anyone who want to look a the governments web-site.

As adult travelers we should take responsibility to understand what the protocols are where we are traveling.  If you fly to a foreign country do airlines or hotels tell you- oh  by the way if you get sick in ___________ country here’s what will happen? 

This situation is a tad different.  Imagine if they tested on aircraft prior to arrival, you tested positive, and were stuck on the aircraft in coach for as many as 21 days...  Yeah, they'd need to warn you about that possibility!

Rather than having tens of thousands of pax drilling down through governmental sites looking for cruise-specific rules, yes... the carrier posting current rules for cruise pax would be most helpful.

• Like 5

I consider myself a fairly good (internet) researcher but I have not found any cruise related covid protocols (for Amsterdam). I am pretty sure that those would differ from land-based vacation. So I second the wish for an up to date “what to expect when you are positive” faq on X’s site.

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, canderson said:

This situation is a tad different.  Imagine if they tested on aircraft prior to arrival, you tested positive, and were stuck on the aircraft in coach for as many as 21 days...  Yeah, they'd need to warn you about that possibility!

Rather than having tens of thousands of pax drilling down through governmental sites looking for cruise-specific rules, yes... the carrier posting current rules for cruise pax would be most helpful.

In your case of the airplane one most likely would be taken off the plane to quarantine in a approved facility.  Leaving the ship and quarantining was a option for a number of passengers, some chose to take it, some chose to remain on the ship.  

Would it be nice if there were up to date requirements and protocols published somewhere, sure.  But there aren’t so IMO as travelers It behooves use to take responsibility for understanding  the requirements.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, jelayne said:

In your case of the airplane one most likely would be taken off the plane to quarantine in a approved facility.  Leaving the ship and quarantining was a option for a number of passengers, some chose to take it, some chose to remain on the ship.  

Would it be nice if there were up to date requirements and protocols published somewhere, sure.  But there aren’t so IMO as travelers It behooves use to take responsibility for understanding  the requirements.  

It was an analogy.

In this particular case, Bananavan can't leave the ship due to Italian requirements.  This isn't a choice or she'd be off in a heartbeat.

Yes, since the lines won't help, it "behooves" us to find out what we can.  Doesn't mean that the lines can't help and save a lot of unnecessary extra work, which may not prove successful, by 10's of thousands of their passengers.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, canderson said:

The current country protocols are not specific to cruise passengers and apply to anyone testing Covid positive. The country  protocols... and even how a positive result for a cruise passenger will be handled...is not static and are continually evolving. Anyone traveling now needs to make a plan and have thought about and talked about all the "what if" scenarios that could affect their vacation.

• Like 5

If you are about to disembark in Italy - why not test yourself on board, if positive keep it to yourself and book an Airbnb for 10 days.  Once negative, hop on a flight to the US or after 10 days use QuickMD.com to get yourself a Certificate of Recovery and head to the airport.   Keep the Italian government out of it…..

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, VitaminSea53 said:

If you are about to disembark in Italy - why not test yourself on board, if positive keep it to yourself and book an Airbnb for 10 days.  Once negative, hop on a flight to the US or after 10 days use QuickMD.com to get yourself a Certificate of Recovery and head to the airport.   Keep the Italian government out of it…..

Absolutely. 

We used the proctored tests in our stateroom before disembarking in Italy two weeks ago. Although we tested negative, had we been positive i would’ve booked my own quarantine accommodations. 

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, VitaminSea53 said:

If you are about to disembark in Italy - why not test yourself on board, if positive keep it to yourself ...

All grand except for those who are required to test due to contact tracing.  Might not even be symptomatic, but discover they're positive.  Ouch.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, VitaminSea53 said:

So it's OK to ignore the rules of the country you are in because it isn't the USA?

... it also seems to me that if you do as you suggest and need to get the Certificate of Recovery because you are still testing positive, you are going to be turning up at the airport with documentary evidence that you have broken the Italian quarantine rules...

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, canderson said:

All grand except for those who are required to test due to contact tracing.  Might not even be symptomatic, but discover they're positive.  Ouch.

I am asymptomatic. 
BUT I test positive every day. 
We had an alternate plan . 
We were booked for three weeks on Regal Princess. 
As I have mentioned before, had we disembarked all expenses would be our own. 
My Italian is non existent. 
I am now on Day 11 of testing positive. 
We should have been off this ship on May 6. 
Our return flights on May 29 were attached to my booking with Princess. Those disappeared on the day we could not join the ship. 
We had Business class tickets. 
Tell me how we would get tickets reasonably priced if we were to book. them ourselves now? 
We did the right thing for boarding. 
We had our vaccinations. 
We had our boosters. 
We did not spend much time around others but my husband got Covid. 

At this point why would I disembark with my Positive test history? 
Might I suggest that everyone who comes to Italy PREPARE themselves for a 21 day isolation in the event that they are like me and have nasal passages which seem to love Covid.
I cannot for the life of my understand why this is happening to me but it is.
And if it can happen to me, dont just smugly walk away thinking, well that will not be me.
Guess what? I thought that too. 

Edited by bananavan
  • Like 11

2 minutes ago, bananavan said:

I am asymptomatic. 

Might I suggest that everyone who comes to Italy PREPARE themselves for a 21 day isolation in the event that they are like me and have nasal passages which seem to love Covid. I cannot for the life of my understand why this is happening to me but it is. And if it can happen to me, dont just smugly walk away thinking, well that will not be me. Guess what? I thought that too. 

So sorry! I think about you everyday and hope for the best. I hope you are finding ways to retain your sanity. 

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, canderson said:

I know of zero contact tracing that happened on Edge TA.  An official positive test seemed to only impact the individual(s) in the room with +

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, bananavan said:

I am asymptomatic. 
Our return flights on May 29 were attached to my booking with Princess. Those disappeared on the day we could not join the ship. 
We had Business class tickets. 
Tell me how we would get tickets reasonably priced if we were to book. them ourselves now? 
We did the right thing for boarding. 
We had our vaccinations. 
We had our boosters. 
We did not spend much time around others but my husband got Covid. 

Might I suggest that everyone who comes to Italy PREPARE themselves for a 21 day isolation in the event that they are like me and have nasal passages which seem to love Covid.
And if it can happen to me, dont just smugly walk away thinking, well that will not be me.

I am so sorry, Banana.  I hope Celebrity can help you get a certificate of recovery soon so you can go home already.  Just a terrible experience.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mkcurran said:

So sorry! I think about you everyday and hope for the best. I hope you are finding ways to retain your sanity. 

thank you for those kind words. 
The poor young lady who handles our situation form Customer Relations is so devastated over what is happening. 
I have a hiatal hernia which chose to act up during this voyage and also have Hashimoto's thyroiditis. 
So nothing life changing or life threatening. 
And I am supremely healthy. 
BUT there is no accounting for the tastes of Covid 19. Apparently it has heard that I am a great person to hang out with. 
I have kept my sense of humor mostly intact. But the sanity comes and goes. 
Some days I feel like I have hit my head on the top of the coffin. 
This is claustrophobic to say the least. 
And for those saying, well at least you get fed. Sure that is true. 
Try eating Room Service every day. 
Today is lobster night AGAIN!!!! 
I am the stateroom attendant. I change the sheets and wash the floors. 
IT is really not fun. 

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, bananavan said:

Hope for the best, but plan for the worst is a very sensible mindset, I remain more than impressed with the way you are handling this situation, can't wait to hear you have been 'released'...

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, donna1009 said:

I know of zero contact tracing that happened on Edge TA.  An official positive test seemed to only impact the individual(s) in the room with +

My husband was asked about his contacts. He truthfully informed them that we were not traveling with anyone else, just me and him. 
I was not asked. 
I went through the first five days of close contact testing. 
I was good for another four days and then I realized that I had to self test and when that test came back positive, I went to Medical.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, ShelleyQT said:

Hear, hear!  I'm amazed by the number of people who come here saying they got Covid on their cruise, even though they wore their masks the whole time!  If the masks worked, people wouldn't keep getting Covid when they are wearing masks.   Our current vaccines don't prevent catching it (though for most people they reduce the severity of symptoms) and they don't prevent passing it to others.  Neither do the masks.  The best way to get over this is for people to just stop fearing it and live their lives.

I agree.  We can’t do that if governmentsdon’t allow us to. 

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, VitaminSea53 said:

So what you are effectively saying is that no one should even consider disembarking in Italy without a 10 day AirBnB reservation. Your scenario doesn't fly in the face of logic if you have a flight heading back to the United States, if that's your home. I find it interesting how easy you think "hop on a flight to the US" can be accomplished by anyone without unlimited funds.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bananavan said:

thank you for those kind words. 
The poor young lady who handles our situation form Customer Relations is so devastated over what is happening. 
I have a hiatal hernia which chose to act up during this voyage and also have Hashimoto's thyroiditis. 
So nothing life changing or life threatening. 
And I am supremely healthy. 
BUT there is no accounting for the tastes of Covid 19. Apparently it has heard that I am a great person to hang out with. 
I have kept my sense of humor mostly intact. But the sanity comes and goes. 
Some days I feel like I have hit my head on the top of the coffin. 
This is claustrophobic to say the least. 
And for those saying, well at least you get fed. Sure that is true. 
Try eating Room Service every day. 
Today is lobster night AGAIN!!!! 
I am the stateroom attendant. I change the sheets and wash the floors. 
IT is really not fun. 

I am just sending a virtual hug. I can’t believe how strong you are. Just know that we are thinking of you. And so appreciate your sharing. If Celebrity and Italy don’t change the approach, we are canceling our trip from Barcelona to Rome even with a penalty. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, VitaminSea53 said:

You can even avoid the flight to the US by going to Canada.  The problem is if you are required to test onboard because of contact tracing, or because you do become symptomatic.  It just still seems very high risk.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Mark_T said:

I don't disagree about just having to get used to Covid being around and getting on with our lives, but the problem with inferring that 'masks don't work' is that people are not wearing them all the time if they are eating or drinking outside their cabins, and that is most likely where the infections are occurring...

Exactly.  I spend many hours a day eating and drinking outside my cabin while cruising.  I suspect many folks are getting infected in the crowded restaurants/bars, even if they wear masks at other times. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, renji said:

If Celebrity and Italy don’t change the approach, we are canceling our trip from Barcelona to Rome even with a penalty. 

I can certainly understand that decision, for us, even though we live in UK, so much closer than you, and even though I've worked in Italy for several years so not too worried about the language issues, I would not currently be happy to cruise with Italy as a final destination.

• Like 2