EZ Air Disaster...

Thrak

We are supposed to sail out of Vancouver on Monday (May 2nd). This morning my wife got a text from Alaska Airlines. (I didn't get any notice at all) The notice she got said our flights have changed. Our flight from Sacramento to Vancouver was cancelled and replaced with one that arrives in Vancouver at 6:33 PM the day after the ship sails.

I've been listening to the Princess hold music for a long time now. I did get through to a guy almost immediately but he said he can't help me. The cruise is close enough to sailing that he can't even get into my EZ Air stuff.

The flights have been paid for. Does anybody know what will happen if I can't cancel the flights (due to nobody at Princess answering the dang phone) and book new flights on my own? I can find flights that are not at all ideal (11+ hour layovers in Seattle airport overnight - and that airport shuts down at night) or I can find alternate flights a couple of days early out of Redding. Of course all the flights I see are twice as expensive as the flights we originally booked (and have paid for).

I don't want to miss the cruise but I also don't want to end up paying for the flight I can't possibly use while also booking other flights I would have to pay for. Does anybody know how this works?

Edited by Thrak

• Thrak changed the title to EZ Air Disaster...
7 minutes ago, Thrak said:

We are supposed to sail out of Vancouver on Monday (May 2nd). This morning my wife got a text from Alaska Airlines. (I didn't get any notice at all) The notice she got said our flights have changed. Our flight from Sacramento to Vancouver was cancelled and replaced with one that arrives in Vancouver at 6:33 PM the day after the ship sails.

I've been listening to the Princess hold music for a long time now. I did get through to a guy almost immediately but he said he can't help me. The cruise is close enough to sailing that he can't even get into my EZ Air stuff.

The flights have been paid for. Does anybody know what will happen if I can't cancel the flights (due to nobody at Princess answering the dang phone) and book new flights on my own? I can find flights that are not at all ideal (11+ hour layovers in Seattle airport overnight - and that airport shuts down at night) or I can find alternate flights a couple of days early out of Redding. Of course all the flights I see are twice as expensive as the flights we originally booked (and have paid for).

I don't want to miss the cruise but I also don't want to end up paying for the flight I can't possibly use while also booking other flights I would have to pay for. Does anybody know how this works?

Did you call the Princess in-transit emergency line?  Seems appropriate timing considering your situation.  661.284.4410.   1-800-545-0008. 

ETA:  Just called and listened to recording.  Press "2" for travel within 48 hrs.  They also mention about changed air reservations.  Of course, after pressing "2" I got the terrible Princess hold MUZAK.  Hanging up now.  Perhaps half your ship is calling.  Arrrghhh!!!

Edited by Steelers36
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Airlines let you book and cancel for free within 24 hrs.  If you see something you want, book it until you can talk to the EZ-Air folks at Princess using the numbers above.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, t&atravel said:

Did you call the airline?  Since you’ve been ticketed and they changed the flight they should work with you. 

That could also work.

ETA:  @t&atravel, Alaska choices look real ugly for today and tomorrow to get to YVR.  Another option is to fly to SEA on DL early tomorrow morning and then drive. 

Edited by Steelers36
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, t&atravel said:

Did you call the airline?  Since you’ve been ticketed and they changed the flight they should work with you. 

The airline will likely treat it as a booking through a travel agent, which is what the EZ Air dept. actually is, and will ask for you to have the travel agent handle it. But it's worth a shot to try...

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, pms4104 said:

Is driving an option?

890 miles/14 hours on the road.

If needed we would leave now and spend a night partway there and continue on tomorrow. Of course I have hotel bookings that will be trashed and I really don't want to be on the hook for the flights we already booked. It's unconscionable that it's so difficult to get hold of anybody at Princess.

• Like 6

Oh Noooooooooo, just awful.  I hope you have been in contact with Alaska Airlines or will call them ASAP.  IMO they ALASKA changed the flight , they ALASKA are responsible to get you to your destination at an appropriate time close to your original plans.  This mess is on them ALASKA.  From what I have been reading Princess /  EZAir have been horrible at helping people out in a jam lately.   I am wishing you the best of luck and hope you and C have a great cruise.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Did you call the Princess in-transit emergency line?  Seems appropriate timing considering your situation.  661.284.4410.   1-800-545-0008.

Called number on my wife's phone. Now I have the same hold music on my phone and my wife's phone. One on either side of me. Stereo madness.

13 minutes ago, Thrak said:

If needed we would leave now and spend a night partway there and continue on tomorrow. Of course I have hotel bookings that will be trashed and I really don't want to be on the hook for the flights we already booked. It's unconscionable that it's so difficult to get hold of anybody at Princess.

If the airline cancels flight you can call and get a more suitable replacement or refund.  Call the airline.

travel summary- says to call. En Route desk at:

1-800-545-008

Edited by dog
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Called number on my wife's phone. Now I have the same hold music on my phone and my wife's phone. One on either side of me. Stereo madness.

I think this is your best option since you are getting directly with the team dealing with last minute type travel delays and issues.  

The suggestion to book something and cancel within 24 hours is a good one.  A few airlines will let you place a hold at no charge.   Although, you are within 24 hours now, so not sure how that will work. I agree use a west coast airport, preferably Seattle.  There is Amtrak as well as  buses from Seattle to Vancouver. 

You could drive… did you check Amtrak from SAC?  It meets the  coast Starlight  at Martinez, I think about 10pm . 

Edited by milolii
  • Like 2

I called the airline. They said they can't help me as it has to go through Princess. The woman I spoke with said they had sent the changes to Princess and apparently Princess okayed the change. I don't know about that since, as I said before, the new flight arrives a day and a half after the ship has sailed.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Thrak said:

I called the airline. They said they can't help me as it has to go through Princess. The woman I spoke with said they had sent the changes to Princess and apparently Princess okayed the change. I don't know about that since, as I said before, the new flight arrives a day and a half after the ship has sailed.

Makes me think the EZ-Air programming has been touched by Padgett's MC App team. 👿

They probably just take in any/all airline changes pushed to them as they would be overwhelmed and just wait to see if any customers scream needing a fix.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

If you have a TA will Princess even talk to you? This is just awful.  You have probably already done this but look online and find a flight that will work for you so you can tell them exactly what you want when they finally answer the phone… Ugh!  Wishing you the best!

• Like 1