USB / plug adapter in Europe

traceytd

I am looking for suggestions or opinions on USB port/plug-ins adaptor for our cruise in Europe. Do you have a favorite.

I’ve never been and have no idea what to buy.

We need it for electronics, extension cords etc.
 I am from Canada and I was wondering if someone had a favourite or suggestions for on the ship and in Europe on land.

thanks in advance

😎😁

I am pretty sure USB ports are universal around the western world. The only question is standard USB vs. micro USB, I think. You will find standard USB in hotels and other places, even on cruise ships built or remodeled after about 2015. I don't use one, but it seems people even power their CPAPs off USB connections.

If your electronics, like phones and tablets, use micro USB, look at the other end and see if there is a standard USB connection into the plug unit.

• Thanks 1

An adapter is an adapter is an adapter.  Doesn't really matter how much you spend for it.  First time - I'd go with just the basic adapter for where you will be.   

If you have multiple things you need to charge, I'd look at a multi-port USB charger and then put your adapter on the plug for that.  You can then use your charging cords just like at home.  

• Thanks 1

On 4/30/2022 at 7:26 PM, traceytd said:

I am looking for suggestions or opinions on USB port/plug-ins adaptor for our cruise in Europe. Do you have a favorite.

I’ve never been and have no idea what to buy.

We need it for electronics, extension cords etc.
 I am from Canada and I was wondering if someone had a favourite or suggestions for on the ship and in Europe on land.

thanks in advance

😎😁

On our last trip to Italy, we stopped into a Mobile phone shop in Rome and bought 2 Samsung EU charging plugs like these (really cheap, actually):

image.png.60499501582f7100ccd6f678acf773f2.png 

They work great with any USB cord for any device, so now we take them whenever we go to Europe.

Reese

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Sue Do-Over said:

The cruise ship itself has US-style plugs, so you only need the European adaptor if you need to charge your devices away from the ship, like at the airport or hotel.

The cruise ships I sail on have both European and US style power points, so to access all the power points available in the room it is a good idea have an adapter. So something to keep in mind, it depends on the ship. We take a couple of Universal Travel Adaptors because we travel to Asia and other places as well.

• Like 1

Preparing for our first European cruise too!  I looked on Amazon and found two kinds ... one labeled European that looks like the photos posted above, but another kind labeled for UK/Ireland.  These are different?  Two kinds are needed??  We are going out of Dover on one cruise, and Rome on another.    Looking for advice.  Thanks!

9 hours ago, 80sGal said:

Preparing for our first European cruise too!  I looked on Amazon and found two kinds ... one labeled European that looks like the photos posted above, but another kind labeled for UK/Ireland.  These are different?  Two kinds are needed??  We are going out of Dover on one cruise, and Rome on another.    Looking for advice.  Thanks!

Yes, British plugs are different from the "mainland European" plugs, so you would need two adapters if you staying in Britain and a "mainland" European country.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Yes, British plugs are different from the "mainland European" plugs, so you would need two adapters if you staying in Britain and a "mainland" European country.

Or, just get one that will handle both the Euro "2 round prongs" and the UK "two square prongs".

Here is the style which I am talking about.  This is NOT a recommendation for this particular product or brand, just to give you an idea of how you can have one adapter that handles several types of sockets.  (Pulled at random from Amazon listings)  Also, you can find these without USB ports -- I prefer that and just using my own USB chargers, because I know what they do in terms of output.  These on an adapter may be dodgy.

In addition, I would not use this onboard ship, as it has a surge protector included which you do NOT want on any cruise electronics.

https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Worldwide-Universal-Adaptor-Charging/dp/B01DJ140LQ

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, 80sGal said:

You could get a universal adapter that would work for both of your stops -- and many more places -- such as ...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078S3M2NX/?tag=thewire06-20&linkCode=xm2&ascsubtag=AwEAAAAAAAAAAU_m&th=1

The universal adaptors I've looked at tend to be on the bulky side. I have a packing pouch that I keep things like chargers, adaptors, etc. in and I actually prefer the individual adaptors. Even if I take a couple of EU adaptors and UK adaptors, they seem to take up less space than one big universal one. 

I just have to remember to swap them out for the right ones before each trip...

• Like 1

On 5/19/2022 at 1:35 PM, cruisemom42 said:

The universal adaptors I've looked at tend to be on the bulky side. I have a packing pouch that I keep things like chargers, adaptors, etc. in and I actually prefer the individual adaptors. Even if I take a couple of EU adaptors and UK adaptors, they seem to take up less space than one big universal one. 

I just have to remember to swap them out for the right ones before each trip...

Or, just store both types of plugs in the pouch. That’s my approach so I don’t need to remember repacking. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CPT Trips said:

Or, just store both types of plugs in the pouch. That’s my approach so I don’t need to remember repacking. 

I'm a light packer -- try not to take anything I don't need with me. 😉

• Like 1

I now get the chance to mention a power strip (I learned about it here on CC) that has become a valuable part of our travel kit.  Having an "adaptor" to fit the outlet in any country is important but most adaptors will only support a single item.  So a combination of the appropriate adaptor plus a decent power strip gives folks the ability to charge and handle multiple items.

Amazon.com: Travel Power Strip, NTONPOWER 3 Outlets 3 USB Portable Desktop Charging Station Short Extension Cord 15 inches for Office, Home, Hotels, Cruise Ship, Nightstand, White : Electronics

This company "Ntonpower" also makes other variants of this power strip that have more outlets.  But we have found that this size works for most of our needs.  

Hank