How much foreign money should one have for a 12 day UK cruise

On 6/17/2022 at 10:44 AM, edinburgher said:

How much foreign money should one have for a 12 day UK cruise

Larrytheg, no disrespect intended at al, nor am I putting you down, but would just like to politely point out that perhaps you consider using the term "local currency" instead of "foreign money" in future as "local currency"is what we use here in the UK 😉

Good Grief. Does it really matter?  You obviously understand perfectly what he meant.

On 5/3/2022 at 7:47 PM, VMax1700 said:

Thanks for mentioning this fact.  Just looked in our 'FX reserves' and discovered 11 of the soon to be discontinued £20 notes.  Will have to plan a trip before September 30th.

In Schotland September 7, 8 or 9th? I hope to be able to spend our "leftovers" from 2019 during the visit o/b ms Rotterdam 🤑

5 hours ago, MAVIP said:

In Schotland September 7, 8 or 9th? I hope to be able to spend our "leftovers" from 2019 during the visit o/b ms Rotterdam 🤑

Genius!  You are correct.  It slipped my mind that Scotland is British Pounds.  Spend some, exchange some.  Thanks for mentioning this as I would surely have forgotten! 

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, cruisegal415 said:

Can we trade in our pounds and euros at the end of the trip to US dollars at the airport?

Yes. If you want to take a hit on the primary exchange into pounds or euros, then a hit again selling them back.

Or just use plastic...

8 minutes ago, markeb said:

Yes. If you want to take a hit on the primary exchange into pounds or euros, then a hit again selling them back.

Or just use plastic...

Some of the excursions we are taking require paying the balance in cash (pounds sterling or euros) at the end of the excursions.  Would that we could use our plastic for everything!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cruisegal415 said:

Some of the excursions we are taking require paying the balance in cash (pounds sterling or euros) at the end of the excursions.  Would that we could use our plastic for everything!

I don't know how they stay in business in 2022 with that policy. People "Venmo" each other for everything in the Eurozone. If you have to pull pounds or euros for an excursion (seriously, in 2022 I'd look for a different operator!), then pull the exact amount plus GBP 20 and 50 (max) Euros. Plastic is accepted almost everywhere you're going to go on a cruise tour. Wasn't true 20 years ago. If memory serves you could pay the 1 euro entry fee to the toilet in Amsterdam with Apple Pay. It's not difficult. They all have the same phone apps your local farmer's market uses to accept credit cards.

And, yes, we make bank transfers horribly difficult in the US (hence Venmo and PayPal...).

• Like 1

On 5/3/2022 at 2:06 PM, Globaliser said:

There's no rush! IME ordinary banks will often swap them long after the withdrawal date. And you can always pop in to the Bank of England itself to swap them, for which there is no time limit.

I will be arriving in London the last week of September and have several (maybe 20) of the 20 pound notes that will be withdrawn September 30th.  Will a bank exchange these for me when I do not have an account with them?  I checked with my hotel in Southampton, but they said they only accept credit cards right now.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/24/2022 at 10:10 AM, Sarnia 432 said:

@g8way2go Spend them quickly - here is the Bank of England link

https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/banknotes/exchanging-old-banknotes

Or you could try to exchange at a post office

Thanks for the info .... will try to find a post office in London.  I will be staying near Victoria station so hopefully there will be a post office nearby.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/22/2022 at 11:39 AM, cruisegal415 said:

Yes, my Azores Tours requires €30 (+ tip?). So I'll need to find an ATM in Cobh. Are small denominations still available? Haven't been to Ireland since 2018