Celebrity Sky Suite Refurbish Surprises

woldridge

On 5/10/2022 at 12:03 PM, AF-1 said:

so you used these bars at home and they did not work?  Did you bring the bar on your cruise?

Correct, I tried them at home only. When they didn’t work I tried to return them but the company said because they are used in a bathroom, they were not eligible for a refund. They went in the trash and I had permanent bars installed. Because my husband is disabled, we booked an accessible cabin for our most recent cruise. 

We debarked the Millennium Friday, sailed in a Sky Suite.  I was apprehensive about navigating the tub, and it turned out to be a nonissue for us.  I am 5.5 inches, and the top of the tub came to just above my knee so you would need to be able to raise one foot above the knee to clear the tub when entering.  In our cabin there was a 2 inch solid wall between the sink and tub.  It became the surface to hold when hoisting into the tub.  As others have confirmed, there are no grab bars in the tub, but the wall was there to hold when turning around.  The wall or the edge on the sink can be used to hold on to step back down when exiting.  We did not find the tub slippery, so didn’t feel the need to request a rubber mat.

We agree that keeping the tubs without proper safety devices after the renovations was a miss.  All said, the tub isn’t a deal breaker for us ‘at this point in time’.  If you aren’t comfortable stepping up into the tub without having something to grip with both hands to leverage, this probably isn't a good choice, and we aren’t  planning to remodel and put this tub in at home.  😳

On 5/22/2022 at 7:24 PM, cinderellen said:

Correct, I tried them at home only. When they didn’t work I tried to return them but the company said because they are used in a bathroom, they were not eligible for a refund. They went in the trash and I had permanent bars installed. Because my husband is disabled, we booked an accessible cabin for our most recent cruise. 

Thank you for your answer and I appreciate your feedback

On 5/3/2022 at 8:53 AM, jelayne said:

I think I’ll purchase as suction Grab Bar from Amazon before our Summit cruise next year.  Sad when you have to provide your own safety equipment.  

That’s crazy.  Just don’t book sky suites.  We thought about upgrading to suite. After looking at these photos, chose to stay in concierge.  The killer for us was the bathroom. Hate tub shower combos. It’s one of the most dangerous places in any bathroom.  On a moving ship with no grab bars?  What were they thinking?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Redtravel said:

That’s crazy.  Just don’t book sky suites.  We thought about upgrading to suite. After looking at these photos, chose to stay in concierge.  The killer for us was the bathroom. Hate tub shower combos. It’s one of the most dangerous places in any bathroom.  On a moving ship with no grab bars?  What were they thinking?

I would encourage anyone who wants to go in one of these sky suites to write to Lisa and tell them you've heard about this safety hazard and want the bar in your shower/tub combo  (also ask for them to put the shower line back in - there's no place in there to hand wet bathing suites or anything).   We did that prior to covid and right after the "revolutionized" suites.   I know the veranda cabins have the lines in the shower which were put back in after the ship was refurbished but in the sky suites something was not done.   They did put a shower bar in for us and the shower line.  Not like the old suites where they had a long bar and the side and one in the back of the tub but it is something to grab onto getting in and helps getting out.

5 hours ago, Redtravel said:

The answer is simple:  they weren't thinking.  They have somehow got it in their heads that all their customers are young and lithe.  If they would just go on their ships once in a while, they would see this is not the case.  I get that their target audience is younger, they just haven't succeeded in populating their ships with their target audience.  And my guess is that their younger target audience all takes showers and doesn't want to climb over a steep tub wall in order to do that.

• Like 3

I’m a little confused now because I recently watched a review of a Sky Suite on the Summit that did show a grab bar in the shower. Is it possible that some have them and some don’t? I’m not sure if I am allowed to  link to a YouTube video,  but I’ll try. 

We were in 6129 on the Summit in April & we had no grab bar in bathtub you literally had to hang on to the bathroom counter to get out.  We also spoke to the Retreat Hostess about the lack of full length mirror & she advised us that we were the first guests to even ask about it,  she also seemed surprised as all crew have a full length mirrors.  We we’re talking to the Chief Housekeeper one day & he also appeared shocked that there was no mirror.  They do have them outside the door on either side though. Lol!  The infamous chair that didn’t fit under the desk was always in the way.  I don’t think the Sky Suites were given much thought from people that cruise.  They say once you have a suite you cannot go back again but you sure can no problem.  Balcony chairs in Aqua or Concierge class are way more comfortable.

Edited by If only
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, If only said:

We were in 6129 on the Summit in April & we had no grab bar in bathtub you literally had to hang on to the bathroom counter to get out.  We also spoke to the Retreat Hostess about the lack of full length mirror & she advised us that we were the first guests to even ask about it,  she also seemed surprised as all crew have a full length mirrors.  We we’re talking to the Chief Housekeeper one day & he also appeared shocked that there was no mirror.  They do have them outside the door on either side though. Lol!  The infamous chair that didn’t fit under the desk was always in the way.  I don’t think the Sky Suites were given much thought from people that cruise.  They say once you have a suite you cannot go back again but you sure can no problem.  Balcony chairs in Aqua or Concierge class are way more comfortable.

If the Retreat hostesses haven't heard of these problems previously, they're either brand new or haven't been listening.  There's nothing they can do about it anyway.  I loved the video raving about the "large" closet space.  Prior to this great redo, there were walk-in closets in the sky suites!  As for those school chairs on the balcony, they should be tossed overboard and put out of their misery.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

If the Retreat hostesses haven't heard of these problems previously, they're either brand new or haven't been listening.  There's nothing they can do about it anyway.  I loved the video raving about the "large" closet space.  Prior to this great redo, there were walk-in closets in the sky suites!  As for those school chairs on the balcony if , they should be tossed overboard and put out of their misery.

The balcony furniture was awful, nothing inviting or comfortable about them.

3 hours ago, thebutlerdidit said:

I’m a little confused now because I recently watched a review of a Sky Suite on the Summit that did show a grab bar in the shower. Is it possible that some have them and some don’t? I’m not sure if I am allowed to  link to a YouTube video,  but I’ll try. 

Yes it is possible because we had one in our tub/shower combo.

3 hours ago, thebutlerdidit said:

Yes it is possible because we had the bar in our tub/combo in the sky suite.  

• Like 1

I remodeled my bathroom.  Did a complete tear out and eliminated the tub.    For me tubs aren’t safe.   Some told me that the value of the house will decrease.   I don’t care.   It is my house and I want it the way I want.   Bath tubs aren’t safe to shower in.   I haven’t  bathed in a tub in over 69 years 

Below are the before and after.   A walk in shower 

D2FA227C-AB32-4298-9CA3-E11C9CC0C7B9.jpeg

1F83ED6F-D2F6-46A8-8DDC-223749BE1F73.jpeg

8EFFE3E6-9513-4F08-9476-1D11B9FC73F6.jpeg

• Like 1

18 hours ago, miched said:

I remodeled my bathroom.  Did a complete tear out and eliminated the tub.    For me tubs aren’t safe.   Some told me that the value of the house will decrease.   I don’t care.   It is my house and I want it the way I want.   Bath tubs aren’t safe to shower in.   I haven’t  bathed in a tub in over 69 years 

Below are the before and after.   A walk in shower 

D2FA227C-AB32-4298-9CA3-E11C9CC0C7B9.jpeg

1F83ED6F-D2F6-46A8-8DDC-223749BE1F73.jpeg

8EFFE3E6-9513-4F08-9476-1D11B9FC73F6.jpeg

Love how it looks now!