Buying future cruise onboard

jimbo1683

As a newbie I have seen this mentioned but I don't think i really know what it means. We are on our first Princess cruise this time next year. We plan to take a short caribbean cruise sometime Jan -April 2024 (not sure when is best, i havent researched enough yet). What are the advantages of waiting to book until we are onboard Sky?

Welcome to Princess.  I think you need to dissect your concerns.

As I understand it:

1.  You will be going on a cruise in 2023 and planning one for 2024.

2.  Are you asking for advice about buying a Future Cruise Deposit (FCD)

or booking while on board in 2023?

3.  I have rarely seen a reason to book on board a ship.

4.  I have seen many reasons for buying an FCD while onboard.  You can only make this $100  FCD purchase while onboard.  I, for one, don't trust technology so usually fill out the request by paper early in the cruise, hand it over to the Captain Circle person, and check to see if it has been processed before I get off the ship.

5.  I would buy two for each.  They are totally refundable after 2 years.  They will give you On Board Credit (OBC) depending on stateroom category and length of cruise.  Regardless...it's better than money sitting in a bank.  

Hope you enjoy your first cruise with Princess.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Welcome to Princess.  I think you need to dissect your concerns.

As I understand it:

1.  You will be going on a cruise in 2023 and planning one for 2024.

2.  Are you asking for advice about buying a Future Cruise Deposit (FCD)

or booking while on board in 2023?

3.  I have rarely seen a reason to book on board a ship.

4.  I have seen many reasons for buying an FCD while onboard.  You can only make this $100  FCD purchase while onboard.  I, for one, don't trust technology so usually fill out the request by paper early in the cruise, hand it over to the Captain Circle person, and check to see if it has been processed before I get off the ship.

5.  I would buy two for each.  They are totally refundable after 2 years.  They will give you On Board Credit (OBC) depending on stateroom category and length of cruise.  Regardless...it's better than money sitting in a bank.  

Hope you enjoy your first cruise with Princess.

Thank you. You are correct - I am on a princess cruise in May '23 and currently looking at a trip to Florida in the early part of '24. We will be on our first ever cruise this Autumn, which is with Cunard. I won't be booking any more trips until we have tested the waters, so to speak, with Cunard, but assuming we enjoy that cruise then we could either book the '24 trip from home, or wait until we sail in Sky Princess if there are benefits to doing that.

@jimbo1683

You are starting off at the top by sailing on Cunard.  It will be a step down to Princess.  

I don't think you can purchase a Princess FCD while on your Cunard voyage.

If you decide to book your Caribbean sailing BEFORE you get on the Sky (2023). then you will not be able to use a FCD, after the fact.  It is for new bookings only.

If you are going to sail with a "new" Princess Passenger (has not had any contact with Princess), you can use their refer a friend program.  Both of you will receive $25 OBC upon sailing.  

If you are military, you might be able to claim military OBC (I think UK is included/don't quote me on that).

If you have 100 CCL stock, you will also get some OBC while sailing on Cunard (I think again/don't quote me).  

Princess allows you to combine all of these OBCs.  I don't think Holland or Carnival is the same.  They all fall under the Carnival Corporation.

3 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

@jimbo1683

You are starting off at the top by sailing on Cunard.  It will be a step down to Princess.  

I don't think you can purchase a Princess FCD while on your Cunard voyage.

If you decide to book your Caribbean sailing BEFORE you get on the Sky (2023). then you will not be able to use a FCD, after the fact.  It is for new bookings only.

If you are going to sail with a "new" Princess Passenger (has not had any contact with Princess), you can use their refer a friend program.  Both of you will receive $25 OBC upon sailing.  

If you are military, you might be able to claim military OBC (I think UK is included/don't quote me on that).

If you have 100 CCL stock, you will also get some OBC while sailing on Cunard (I think again/don't quote me).  

Princess allows you to combine all of these OBCs.  I don't think Holland or Carnival is the same.  They all fall under the Carnival Corporation.

Sorry ive confused matters. The Cunard cruise and Princess cruise are both booked and aware of the differences and shareholder OBC. My question is; i am planning a second princess cruise in 2024 (carribbean) so is there extra benefit in booking that when i am onboard Princess in 2023 or does it make no difference?

Usually makes no difference.

DO purchase Future Cruise Deposits while on the CB. There will be a Future Cruise office that will answer all of your questions and facilitate the FCD transaction. FCDs are $100USD.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, EDDY0827 said:

Usually makes no difference.

DO purchase Future Cruise Deposits while on the CB. There will be a Future Cruise office that will answer all of your questions and facilitate the FCD transaction. FCDs are $100USD.

Automatically charged to your credit card on file...not to your onboard folio.  The only difference is timing for cabin selection.  Since you are cruising in the fall, and you want a cabin for the spring, many more desirable cabins will be sold out.

Edited by cr8tiv1

1 hour ago, cr8tiv1 said:

@jimbo1683

Military OBC is only for US and Canadian personnel.

1 hour ago, Moondogy said:

Military OBC is only for US and Canadian personnel.

I knew others would provide the correct information.  Thank you. I was just trying to think of as many options the OP might explore.

• Like 1

I have cruised both Cunard and Princess, very similar.  If you like one you will like the other.  

I always buy an on-board credit when on Princess, can't buy a Princess on Board Credit on Cunard.  

I usually book on board if I know what I want when I am on Princess.  I book directly with Princess so can pick cabin as early as possible that way.  If I was working with a TA, Princess will tell me the fare you will get with the TA, book if you like and forward the booking to your TA.  

If you don't know what date you want, buy the On Board Credit and figure it out later.  

• Like 1

On 5/2/2022 at 11:12 PM, jimbo1683 said:

Sorry ive confused matters. The Cunard cruise and Princess cruise are both booked and aware of the differences and shareholder OBC. My question is; i am planning a second princess cruise in 2024 (carribbean) so is there extra benefit in booking that when i am onboard Princess in 2023 or does it make no difference?

OK i'm from the UK and i'd say try out the Sky and see how you feel about the experience.

If you like it, Purchase a future cruise deposit (FCD - £75 for brits). once confirmed to your captains circle account Book your 2024 cruise. You can either book direct with Princess or  with your preferred Travel agent and get them to allocate the FCD to the booking. As a thank you you will get a on board credit to use when you sail on the cruise. The amount depends on the level of cabin you book and the length of the cruise. ie i have a mini suite booked on the enchanted and it's a 14 night cruise and for that the credit amount is $100.  It's part paid for a trip i have booked...... 

So i'd say don't book on board but def pay for a FCD as the credit you get on the cruise you use it against is a good benefit. Enjoy the sky we enjoyed it when we were on her last October. Jules

Occasionally, there's a "special" for booking onboard (I've seen that once, but don't spend a lot of time at the Future Cruise desk). The one I saw was a very good deal for a cruise itinerary for which I wasn't interested.

Note: if you do book onboard, it's treated as though you used a Future Cruise Deposit...i.e. $100 deposit with the associated OBC applied for that newly booked cruise.

1 hour ago, Tedferg said:

Incorrect, I served in British Army and get Veteran OBC on Princess

Must be something on the UK website. Here is what the US website says.....Sorry if I got it wrong, but I have never seen the UK website 😊

United States Military Application: Military Benefit

To receive this benefit, please verify your military status by accessing the below link and filling out our secure form page. You will be asked to input your Captain Circle Number (CCN) and United States military information. If you do not have a Captain Circle Number, please click here to register with Princess. You must be registered with Princess Cruises in order to verify your military status and receive our military benefit.

If you’ve registered with Princess and need to retrieve your CCN, you can find it in MyPrincess.

Verify Your Status

Canadian Military Application PDF: Military Benefit

To request this benefit as an active, retired or disabled Canadian military personnel, please download and complete the Military Benefit Application Form PDF(130KB) then submit together with a copy of the required proof of eligibility indicated below. Please ensure that documentation provided has the Social Security Number crossed out.

Download PDF

You can submit via email, fax or mail:

Email:militarybenefit@princesscruises.com

Fax:(661) 753-1394

Mail:24305 Town Center Drive
Santa Clarita, CA 91355

On 5/2/2022 at 3:04 PM, cr8tiv1 said:

@jimbo1683

Both Princess Cruise Line and Holland America Line are part of Holland America Group (HAG). HAG in turn is part of Carnival Corporation.

• Like 1

On 5/2/2022 at 6:29 PM, pris993 said:

I have cruised both Cunard and Princess, very similar.  If you like one you will like the other.  

I always buy an on-board credit when on Princess, can't buy a Princess on Board Credit on Cunard.  

I usually book on board if I know what I want when I am on Princess.  I book directly with Princess so can pick cabin as early as possible that way.  If I was working with a TA, Princess will tell me the fare you will get with the TA, book if you like and forward the booking to your TA.  

If you don't know what date you want, buy the On Board Credit and figure it out later.  

An On Board Credit is not the same as a Future Cruise Deposit. What one wants to purchase is the Future Cruise Deposit which when applied to a newly booked cruise acts as the complete deposit for the passenger and will result in an OBC for the booking.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Moondogy said:

Must be something on the UK website. Here is what the US website says.....Sorry if I got it wrong, but I have never seen the UK website 😊

Strange, I was a little surprised when I got mine. I sent in copy of my discharge paper and it is on my file, happens automatically when we book. I figured it was a hold over from P&O.

• Like 1

On 5/2/2022 at 2:46 PM, cr8tiv1 said:

I, for one, don't trust technology so usually fill out the request by paper early in the cruise, hand it over to the Captain Circle person, and check to see if it has been processed before I get off the ship.

Agree, I went to Cruise Desk on last day of recent cruise. The rep showed me how to buy FCD using the App. I did not receive the FCD and Princess say there is nothing they can do after the cruise.

1 hour ago, Tedferg said:

Agree, I went to Cruise Desk on last day of recent cruise. The rep showed me how to buy FCD using the App. I did not receive the FCD and Princess say there is nothing they can do after the cruise.

If you were charged, send them the proof.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JF - retired RRT said:

If you were charged, send them the proof.

We were not charged; I did not know how to confirm that transaction went through, and it was last day. I also knew the charge was to credit card not shipboard account, so, thought it was just slow being processed.

5 hours ago, minikiss said:

OK i'm from the UK and i'd say try out the Sky and see how you feel about the experience.

If you like it, Purchase a future cruise deposit (FCD - £75 for brits). once confirmed to your captains circle account Book your 2024 cruise. You can either book direct with Princess or  with your preferred Travel agent and get them to allocate the FCD to the booking. As a thank you you will get a on board credit to use when you sail on the cruise. The amount depends on the level of cabin you book and the length of the cruise. ie i have a mini suite booked on the enchanted and it's a 14 night cruise and for that the credit amount is $100.  It's part paid for a trip i have booked...... 

So i'd say don't book on board but def pay for a FCD as the credit you get on the cruise you use it against is a good benefit. Enjoy the sky we enjoyed it when we were on her last October. Jules

Thank you, but what is FCD and why buy it?

Edited by jimbo1683

2 hours ago, brisalta said:

An On Board Credit is not the same as a Future Cruise Deposit. What one wants to purchase is the Future Cruise Deposit which when applied to a newly booked cruise acts as the complete deposit for the passenger and will result in an OBC for the booking.

You are right, if I did not say that, this is what a meant.  Thanks for correcting and clarifying. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, jimbo1683 said:

Thank you, but what is FCD and why buy it?

Future Cruise Deposit $100 each. FCD can be used for full deposit on future cruise, helps cash flow if you book several cruises over a year or so. Our recent cruise was $800 deposit. FCD also gives On Board Credit $25 3-6 days; $50 7-10 days; $100 11-16 days. If you do not use FCD it is refunded after two years.

3 hours ago, Tedferg said:

Future Cruise Deposit $100 each. FCD can be used for full deposit on future cruise, helps cash flow if you book several cruises over a year or so. Our recent cruise was $800 deposit. FCD also gives On Board Credit $25 3-6 days; $50 7-10 days; $100 11-16 days. If you do not use FCD it is refunded after two years.

You can now extend FCD if they are nearing the expiry date.

See: