The Daily for Tuesday 05/03/2022

richwmn

Today is Garden Meditation Day, Lumpy Rug Day, and National Teacher's Day

The only way out of the labyrinth of suffering is to forgive.--John Green, Looking for Alaska

Meal Suggestion for today - Turkey Posole
Drink of the Day - Kentucky Joe
Wine of the Day - Horsepower 2018 The Tribe Vineyard Syrah (Walla Wa
Destination of the Day - Port Arthur, Tasmania, AU

Ships With Passengers

At Sea

Zuiderdam   Destination Vancouver, BC Canada eta 05/04

Eidfjord, Norway Hardangerfjord

Rotterdam   07:00 - 15:00

Icy Strait Point, Hoonah, Alaska

Eurodam   18:00 - 22:00

Juneau, Alaska

Nieuw Amsterdam   13:00 - 22:00

Livorno, Florence-Pisa, Italy

Nieuw Statendam   07:00 - 23:00

Puerto Quetzal, Guatemala

Noordam   08:00 - 18:00

Skagway, Alaska

Koningsdam   07:00 - 20:00

Ukrainian Refugee Housing

Rotterdam Waalhaven

Volendam  

Ships Without Passengers

Catania, IT

Oosterdam  

Long Beach, CA US

Westerdam   Anchorage

Stirrup Cay, BS

Zaandam   Anchorage

0503World.thumb.png.939700c63d16e40d5e162f2c0fa0aa18.png
  • Like 32
  • Thanks 10

Today's sunrise is from my 2013 trip featuring Angkor Wat between 2 trans-ocean cruises.  It was taken my final morning from Amtrak's Cardinal near Ashland, Kentucky.

dawn0503.jpg

Roy

• Like 30
  • Thanks 5

Thank you for the Tuesday Daily, Rich.  Lumpy Rug day sounds kind of whimsical.  I don't really do much garden meditation but will definitely salute teachers.  I like the Green quote.  I was booked to visit Tasmania in 2020 but the call was cancelled due to storms rather than the pandemic.  The menu sounds a bit too spicy for my tastes.  My alternative is Classic Caesar Salad,Linguini Russo, and Vanilla Ice Cream as served on MS Nieuw Statendam May 3, 2019:

dishes0503.jpg

Today’s care list:

RIP Jose 5/1 and strength, peace, and healing for kazu
cat shepard grieving cousin

JazzyV and 1Angelcat facing expensive medicines
Lady Hudson SIL back in hospital with infection
Dfish continuing pain
From the rotation:
Marshhawk offline until 5/10
Ukraine
Heartgrove older sister in hospice
msmayor’s daughter struggling with motherhood

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Volendam housing refugees
8 BHB with guests
Dismomx5 in Cairo  meeting new toddler and baby
JAM37 settling in at new house
Sea Viewer brother visiting until May 12
Aliaschief and DW in Hawaii
A lovely marriage for Jacqui and Jose
NextOne on River Cruise
Cruzin Terri pacing herself and getting to cathedral
6 days for Lady Hydson (Oasis OTS 5/8 to 5/22)
Horizon Chaser 1957 (Zuiderdam to 5/4),   Cruzin Terri (Nautica  to 5 /5), oceansaway17 (Symphony OTS to 5/7). rsldonk (Eurodam to 5/7), jawhawk66 and  sailingdutchy (Nieuw Statendam to  5/8), and leafsnation (Noordam to 5/15)  at sea
Koningsdan Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 32
  • Thanks 9

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

An interesting collection of days.  It's still a little too cool to sit in the garden and meditate today.  It's cloudy, with a chance of rain.  I guess Lumpy Rug Day means I need to do some house cleaning. 😉  A big thank you to teachers.

Love the quote.

The meal sounds interesting, looking forward to seeing the recipe.  Hope the drink and wine are tasty.

I've never been to today's port, but would love to.  Thanks in advance for pictures.

Prayers for everyone.

Stay safe.

• Like 26

Good afternoon.

It is 54°F and cloudy here in North East England.

I had my hair cut at the barber's this morning.

Thank you for today's daily and fleet reports Rich.

It is nice to relax in our garden.

Teacher's do an amazing job and deserve a day of recognition.

Interesting quote.

Nice food but not sure about the drink.

Prayers 🙏 for Jacqui and all on our care list.

I hope everyone is having a great day.

Graham.

IMG-20210215-WA0006.jpg

Screenshot_20220503_121142.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 36
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Tuesday Daily, Rich.  Lumpy Rug day sounds kind of whimsical.  I don't really do much garden meditation but will definitely salute teachers.  I like the Green quote.  I was booked to visit Tasmania in 2020 but the call was cancelled due to storms rather than the pandemic.  The menu sounds a bit too spicy for my tastes.  My alternative is Classic Caesar Salad,Linguini Russo, and Vanilla Ice Cream as served on MS Nieuw Statendam May 3, 2019:

dishes0503.jpg

Today’s care list:

RIP Jose 5/1 and strength, peace, and healing for kazu
cat shepard grieving cousin

JazzyV and 1Angelcat facing expensive medicines
Lady Hudson SIL back in hospital with infection
Dfish continuing pain
From the rotation:
Marshhawk offline until 5/10
Ukraine
Heartgrove older sister in hospice
msmayor’s daughter struggling with motherhood

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Volendam housing refugees
8 BHB with guests
Dismomx5 in Cairo  meeting new toddler and baby
JAM37 settling in at new house
Sea Viewer brother visiting until May 12
Aliaschief and DW in Hawaii
A lovely marriage for Jacqui and Jose
NextOne on River Cruise
Cruzin Terri pacing herself and getting to cathedral
6 days for Lady Hydson (Oasis OTS 5/8 to 5/22)
Horizon Chaser 1957 (Zuiderdam to 5/4),   Cruzin Terri (Nautica  to 5 /5), oceansaway17 (Symphony OTS to 5/7). rsldonk (Eurodam to 5/7), jawhawk66 and  sailingdutchy (Nieuw Statendam to  5/8), and leafsnation (Noordam to 5/15)  at sea
Koningsdan Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Thank you for today's lists Roy.

Graham.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

Good morning, everyone.  

We are in for rain today and it looks like it could keep up all day long.  I have everything ready to go for my quilting retreat so I'm excited about that.  Had some fun this morning looking at cruises with @Crazy For Cats.   After the pool today I will stop and vote.  Today is our primary and I will be thankful when I can watch TV in peace again.  

Today's meal would be a nice one to tuck away and make after the holidays with left over turkey.  I'm sure if you wanted it now you could find a turkey breast or even substitute chicken.  The first recipe from Bon Appetit looks pretty easy.   I might give it a try some time as the hominy has enough fiber to help offset the carbs.  https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/turkey-posole

2115983494_turkeyposole1.jpg.1c7a84b85c18729ed8780b3f99cc2eeb.jpg

Food and Wine gives us the spicy version with a wine pairing.   https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/spicy-turkey-posole

1165442683_turkeyposole2.thumb.jpg.fb3919d98dbae2a3f03ec3430495aa1d.jpg

Eating Well offers their version:   https://www.eatingwell.com/recipe/266277/turkey-posole/

1458699175_turkeyposole3.thumb.jpg.e93ada293f3f7d1f375b94ca1497f665.jpg

Learn a little about the traditional garnishes.  They look as good as the soup and that may be what is attracting them to me.  I think I'd enjoy this green version.   https://frugalhausfrau.com/2016/11/27/green-turkey-pozole-pozole-verde-de-pavo/

1288778042_turkeyposole4.thumb.jpg.9eaf46c7123134934317c619d50a613e.jpg

Prayers for all who need them, especially Ukraine and our Daily family members.  Special prayers for those who have lost loved ones, @kazu Jacqui and @cat shepard, Ann.   Wishing everyone a great day.

• Like 33
  • Thanks 4

Good  morning  everyone. It looks like a nice sunny day already. I will salute all teachers and especially  DS today.Not sure about the carpets. We have a small backyard garden area that is nice to sit in but I never tried to meditate.

The recipes look good,thanks Debbie  @dfish, I hope you enjoy your quilting retreat.Tana wanted to try the first recipe but we will use chicken.

She is going by ambulance to the pulmonoligist today.They say they can manage the wheelchair and the front steps.Oh my.I hope so! I am going with her as well.Two heads are better than one sometimes.

Terry

• Like 31
  • Thanks 2

Good morning everyone. I will most definitely celebrate teachers day. I was an Educational Therapist and worked with kids who had learning disabilities. Not sure how we’re going to do our little garden this year because it’s always been Sam who bought and planted the flowers.

Lately I’ve been trying to wake up and find three things to be grateful for everyday. The first is that I woke up today. Second is the sun is shining and it will be 70degrees today. Third thing I am grateful for today is all my friends on this board and in my community that have been so supportive of Sam and me.

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

• Like 33
  • Thanks 4

Good morning friends!  It seems to have warmed up here very quickly.  I had to turn a fan on in the bedroom last night due to the heat so it really feels like summer.  We did our exercise in our home gym and DH is heading to Macon to get my SUV's oil changed.  That sounds pretty dull so I'll probably stay home.  Thank you Rich @richwmnfor our Daily.  Lumpy rug sounds like someone needs to do some investigating.  Either that or poor installation.  We haven't planted a lush, fancy garden at this home but had them in previous homes and I enjoyed my time spent in them.  Graham @grapau27I can see how you'd enjoy meditating in your garden.  Yay for our teachers on their own special day.  I'll let my DD and DS know how much they are appreciated.  One teaches 4th grade math and the other an electrical engineering class.  DS sent me a photo the other day taken at the U. of Michigan engineering commencement, taken from his seat on the stage as the students received their diplomas/degrees.  He said they were so happy and can you blame them?  I remember as a parent watching my kids' graduations and was so proud of them.  ☺️  As for the turkey posole, perhaps.  Strange how there can be so many varieties.  Port Arthur was one of my favorite stops in Tasmania and I have some lovely photos there which I will present after this post.  We stopped there twice actually so I'm very lucky.

Also I want to thank Roy for the Care and Celebration lists.  Prayers are said daily for our CC list, my recovering family members, and the persecuted people of Ukraine.  Praying daily for peace and as much help as possible from sympathetic nations.  Extra prayers for Jacqui @kazuas she prepares to lay her beloved to rest, and Ann @cat shepardon the loss of her cousin and the work on her estate that she mentioned.  For everyone here please know we all hope and pray for you and yours to help with the pain and suffering.🙏

Have a good day everyone!

• Like 28
  • Thanks 3

Good morning.  Love to sit outside and enjoy the plantings and trees.  If I have a lumpy rug my cat is hiding.  And as a retired teacher we always loved National Teacher's Day.  Our PTA always went all out!  I don't care for the quote and will pass on the meal.  Have not been to today's destination.  I hope Tana's appointment goes well this morning.  Major prayers for peace for @kazu

Prayers and toasts to our lists.

Please continue to be safe and wear your mask.  The virus is rearing its ugly head again.

Kentucky Joe:

Ingredients
1 part Jim Beam® Original
1/2 part Galliano® Ristretto
1/2 part Pineapple Juice
3 parts Ginger Beer
2 Lime Wedges
Garnish with
Mint Sprig

Instructions
Squeeze lime wedges into glass and drop in. Measure and pour in Jim Beam, Ristretto and pineapple juice. Fill glass completely with ice. Top with ginger beer, garnish and serve.

Screen Shot 2022-05-03 at 8.32.07 AM.png

• Like 20
  • Thanks 5

Thank you for the daily and all those who are here.

Just doing a little last minute downloading before heading off to Vancouver to catch our cruise tomorrow, HAL Zuiderdam.  Have completed all the apps, with a minimum of cursing.  The drive over the boarder tomorrow from Bellingham should be relatively easy and then we can take our time getting to Canada Place.

Prayers for all who need them, especially Ukraine and our Daily family members.  Special prayers for those who have lost loved ones, @kazu Jacqui and @cat shepard, Ann.  

• Like 27

24 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good morning friends!  It seems to have warmed up here very quickly.  I had to turn a fan on in the bedroom last night due to the heat so it really feels like summer.  We did our exercise in our home gym and DH is heading to Macon to get my SUV's oil changed.  That sounds pretty dull so I'll probably stay home.  Thank you Rich @richwmnfor our Daily.  Lumpy rug sounds like someone needs to do some investigating.  Either that or poor installation.  We haven't planted a lush, fancy garden at this home but had them in previous homes and I enjoyed my time spent in them.  Graham @grapau27I can see how you'd enjoy meditating in your garden.  Yay for our teachers on their own special day.  I'll let my DD and DS know how much they are appreciated.  One teaches 4th grade math and the other an electrical engineering class.  DS sent me a photo the other day taken at the U. of Michigan engineering commencement, taken from his seat on the stage as the students received their diplomas/degrees.  He said they were so happy and can you blame them?  I remember as a parent watching my kids' graduations and was so proud of them.  ☺️  As for the turkey posole, perhaps.  Strange how there can be so many varieties.  Port Arthur was one of my favorite stops in Tasmania and I have some lovely photos there which I will present after this post.  We stopped there twice actually so I'm very lucky.

Also I want to thank Roy for the Care and Celebration lists.  Prayers are said daily for our CC list, my recovering family members, and the persecuted people of Ukraine.  Praying daily for peace and as much help as possible from sympathetic nations.  Extra prayers for Jacqui @kazuas she prepares to lay her beloved to rest, and Ann @cat shepardon the loss of her cousin and the work on her estate that she mentioned.  For everyone here please know we all hope and pray for you and yours to help with the pain and suffering.🙏

Have a good day everyone!

Thank you Sandi.

We have lived here for 40 year's.

Graham.

• Like 13

5 minutes ago, baltic17 said:

Thank you for the daily and all those who are here.

Just doing a little last minute downloading before heading off to Vancouver to catch our cruise tomorrow, HAL Zuiderdam.  Have completed all the apps, with a minimum of cursing.  The drive over the boarder tomorrow from Bellingham should be relatively easy and then we can take our time getting to Canada Place.

Prayers for all who need them, especially Ukraine and our Daily family members.  Special prayers for those who have lost loved ones, @kazu Jacqui and @cat shepard, Ann.  

Your cruise sounds amazing.

I hope you have a fantastic time.

Graham.

Screenshot_20211221_223815.jpg

• Like 14

We first visited Port Arthur on Dec. 9, 2013 on the Diamond Princess.  The second time was Nov. 8, 2017 on the Sun Princess.  Both times we tendered over and visited the site of a 19th century convict settlement.  00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLC-8FPrPX--dhQXD1U9Fvc?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513605612

All of the buildings are open for you to explore.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJEe01T-jkSzxo5qZ82Rek0?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513613454

This is what one of the cells looked like.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJ0ugVmaE_O4i4phAueOFfa?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1651580601

The guard tower00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKimX2qMqIWoRCSaOdzI-45?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513613542

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIev6Ru2chsZv6KemuOOe2B?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513613543

In the distance a church which I'll show you photos of00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJlMhQwOqTEUqfLHhSzkl9I?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513613574

Next we saw a separate prison for the insane called the Asylum.  It was later used as a town hall. 00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLoD2CF6BEM7SOXrJ_gzfyY?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513613723

A cell for an inmate.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLxp-ZWbXFOu3dKWcZAucjH?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513613696

A chapel for them.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKXHpnXD03HonaIa0fGsT9M?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513613709

We headed towards the church and an extensive garden area.  I loved the two columns here near the entrance to the gardens.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVK-mPMLoDHFAPHjZjeYMC4B?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513613759

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJmaK6tjS-UbUgxA6WGKE6H?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1388705820

The old Convict Church ruins.  It was built by the convicts in 1836.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLN43cEcbA0TrED_Xp9uAsh?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513613868

It was devastated by fire in 1884 so all that stands is the stone outer walls.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIRYI_P-GWE1uYdNekYpOQV?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1651581459

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJskF1ZLgsi-R_zXMAkFEwJ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1651581517

walking through the nearby gardens00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKF0pO0SoS1p_wnhcysyrWW?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1651581574

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVI_y8jNNz9IIevwujg5Kccl?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513613999

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVI0HEMJTSjj3Hor9MqWNVh2?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513614039

I have photos of dozens of different flowers, too many to post here.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIySElxafS0sbaInWdnb5Q-?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513614268

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJZ6Lf0VgLw8ZGK3o-NgIoE?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513614241

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJ4rCSZMvCBb-FCuHc0EPur?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1388705915

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLqpsERYzoZJHs-w4neMiMf?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1651582081

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVI_HG9_0RkDh0UVgmpnU_eS?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1388705920

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLbgO7uV1dPYYQZVfY5lHPU?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1388705854

As we left in 2017 we passed by the Memorial Garden, built to commemorate the victims of the Port Arthur mass shooting in 1996.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJaSypAs7K3Oks0GLR6ufJp?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513614300

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJjR37uBNL1o8UkIyB3z-uj?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1651581957

I could post photos all day on Port Arthur, my favorite stop in Tasmania.

• Like 29
  • Thanks 8

Thank you Rich for the Daily Report, thank you Roy for the Cares and Celebration Report, and thank you Debbie for today's recipes. And thank you all for being here!

I taught for ten years after leaving a telecommunications company with a buy-out. I decided to fulfill something I had intended to do after high school. That meant 2-1/2 years of college to become certified. Later while teaching joined a cohort to earn a Masters. Grade levels that I have taught ran the gamut from Elementary School,  Middle School, High School, and Community College. Beginning teachers find positions where they can! I always said it was the best job I ever had - for the least amount of money! I finally reached the dollar amount (not dollar value) of the telco position with my ninth year.  Even after retiring I then worked part time for a social service agency for the elderly until moving to Virginia.

Stay safe!

- Jack

Edited by Heartgrove
  • Like 29
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily report.  Another early wake up call from Mona.  Her purrs in my ears are very loud at 3 am when she wants an early breakfast. 😆 Today’s meal suggestion sounds good and I do have some leftover chicken from the weekend.  Debbie @dfish now has me rethinking our 2023 cruise itineraries.  The Historic Coast itinerary is a good one that I’d like to do again, need to discuss with DH tonight.

image.png.a7237ccbd589643b66e04e48224e9d32.png

• Like 25

Good morning and thanks for the update. Busy day yesterday, ended up with a vet appointment for Jaguar, his sinus infection is not improving, now has 2 new medications and possibly a trip to special vet in a few weeks.

Tomorrow I have a 6 month follow up mammogram appt and Thursday is the MRI that the neurologist ordered. I can’t wait for them to be over with,.

Blessings and prayers to all on our lists. Special prayers to @kazu

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1