Gem/Jewel GV/DOS hot tubs and NYC

bookbabe

Has anyone in a Gem (or Jewel, or really any ship) suite with a hot tub on the balcony been told they couldn’t use the hot tub because of the weather or sea conditions?

We’ve booked a Panama Canal (Panama to NYC) cruise on the Gem in one of the DOS with the hot tub on the balcony, and before fully committing to the extra expense, we want to make sure that we’re going to be able to use the hot tub on the final two sea days on the way to NYC.  We did a trip out of NYC at the end of December many years ago, and remember pretty rough seas that first day.  This cruise is mid-February, so approx same weather maybe?  We’re Canadian, so don’t care if it’s cold/rainy out, the issue is more whether NCL will say no to us using it.  We know there are lots of times they close the main pools, but what about people’s balcony hot tubs?

Yeah, we realize that we won’t be able to use it if there’s an actual storm, but what about in normal winter weather conditions?  Anyone had a suite with a hot tub on a cruise to/from NYC that can chime in on the usability of it?  Thoughts?

You are referring to those DOS Haven suites on deck 15 (stairway access only - no elevator)?

The DOS OS decks 9 and 10 don't have a hot tub.

In the Haven courtyard there is a large hot tub not terribly private.

The hot tubs on deck 15 are not all that private either - sitting on a pedestal overlooking

the pool deck below.

There are larger hot tubs on the pool deck - number varies by ship (Jewel 3)

Wonder how long the hot tubs are going to be kept around with the removal of the

bathtubs from the suites ? Significant reduction of maintenance and staff requirement.

Just got off the Pearl and had a hot tub in the Garden Villa. We were definitely in it in cold weather (60s out of Boston, colder at sea). The deck steward would come in when it was windy and take down umbrellas, tie up the lounge chairs and put away the cushions, but we never got any instructions to cease using the hot tubs (and indeed there were people in the hot tubs on the main pool deck with the temps in the 40s in Bar Harbor.) The lifeguards were wearing winter coats but people were enjoying those tubs!  They shut the public hot tubs down only in the very worst seas at night, and left them open most of the time even when the  pools were closed. I imagine lightning is the condition most likely to force their hand at closing the hot tubs. 

Note: the GV has a palapa above and I'm not sure the others do. Cold rain on your head could be unpleasant. We had a day that was so cold the mist/spray off the hot tub was sleet-like.

We had plexiglass protection from the wind on the railing side, so if your hot tub has that you'd be somewhat protected from the worst windchill.

All of that said? In the cold and rain we didn't want to be in the hot tub because crossing to and from the room in wet clothes did not appeal at all. I would have loved to have had it on a warmer cruise.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, don't-use-real-name said:

You are referring to those DOS Haven suites on deck 15 (stairway access only - no elevator)?

The DOS OS decks 9 and 10 don't have a hot tub.

In the Haven courtyard there is a large hot tub not terribly private.

The hot tubs on deck 15 are not all that private either - sitting on a pedestal overlooking

the pool deck below.

There are larger hot tubs on the pool deck - number varies by ship (Jewel 3)

Wonder how long the hot tubs are going to be kept around with the removal of the

bathtubs from the suites ? Significant reduction of maintenance and staff requirement.

Yes, the ones in the deck 15 suites and in the garden villas of the Gem and Jewel, or experiences from the Sky/Sun/PoA owner suites which also have a balcony hot tub.  I’m not really interested in experiences with the public hot tubs or the Haven ones, I’m specifically looking for private hot tub usage info.  Thanks.

1 hour ago, DaisyGoldberg said:

Just got off the Pearl and had a hot tub in the Garden Villa. We were definitely in it in cold weather (60s out of Boston, colder at sea). The deck steward would come in when it was windy and take down umbrellas, tie up the lounge chairs and put away the cushions, but we never got any instructions to cease using the hot tubs (and indeed there were people in the hot tubs on the main pool deck with the temps in the 40s in Bar Harbor.) The lifeguards were wearing winter coats but people were enjoying those tubs!  They shut the public hot tubs down only in the very worst seas at night, and left them open most of the time even when the  pools were closed. I imagine lightning is the condition most likely to force their hand at closing the hot tubs. 

Note: the GV has a palapa above and I'm not sure the others do. Cold rain on your head could be unpleasant. We had a day that was so cold the mist/spray off the hot tub was sleet-like.

We had plexiglass protection from the wind on the railing side, so if your hot tub has that you'd be somewhat protected from the worst windchill.

All of that said? In the cold and rain we didn't want to be in the hot tub because crossing to and from the room in wet clothes did not appeal at all. I would have loved to have had it on a warmer cruise.

Thanks.  That’s exactly the info I was looking for.  Not worried about the cold, we’re Canadian and have used outdoor hot tubs in all weather and at all times of the year, just don’t want to spend extra to book that room to find they close down the hot tub for part of the trip.

4 minutes ago, bookbabe said:

Yes, the ones in the deck 15 suites and in the garden villas of the Gem and Jewel, or experiences from the Sky/Sun/PoA owner suites which also have a balcony hot tub.  I’m not really interested in experiences with the public hot tubs or the Haven ones, I’m specifically looking for private hot tub usage info.  Thanks.

The Garden Villa hot tubs are more protected than the ones in the forward OS ones. I am wondering the same thing, being the hot tubs are on a forward balcony. We are in a forward OS on the Sky (Bahama's cruise) in July 2022. A bit different with regards to weather. I will let you know how it goes. 

10 minutes ago, HBCcruiser said:

The Garden Villa hot tubs are more protected than the ones in the forward OS ones. I am wondering the same thing, being the hot tubs are on a forward balcony. We are in a forward OS on the Sky (Bahama's cruise) in July 2022. A bit different with regards to weather. I will let you know how it goes. 

We’ve had one of those before for a Caribbean cruise, but it was round trip Miami so not the same weather as our Panama Canal cruise.  Favourite cabin ever, and was what won my hubby over to the idea of Go Suite or Stay Home.  The Sky OS hot tubs are pretty protected on the balcony, and very private.  You’ll love it.

The Gem DOS hot tubs seem to have the plexiglas shielding, which is plenty of weather protection for us.  As long as we’re allowed to use it, we’ll be in it.  The fact that it’s visible and/or in the sun/rain won’t make that much difference.  We’ve hot-tubbed in the rain and snow regularly.  Canadians often don’t have the luxury of waiting for perfect weather for outdoor activities, you’d spend more time waiting than not.

1 minute ago, bookbabe said:

We’ve had one of those before for a Caribbean cruise, but it was round trip Miami so not the same weather as our Panama Canal cruise.  Favourite cabin ever, and was what won my hubby over to the idea of Go Suite or Stay Home.  The Sky OS hot tubs are pretty protected on the balcony, and very private.  You’ll love it.

The Gem DOS hot tubs seem to have the plexiglas shielding, which is plenty of weather protection for us.  As long as we’re allowed to use it, we’ll be in it.  The fact that it’s visible and/or in the sun/rain won’t make that much difference.  We’ve hot-tubbed in the rain and snow regularly.  Canadians often don’t have the luxury of waiting for perfect weather for outdoor activities, you’d spend more time waiting than not.

Awesome, thanks for the info about the Sky hot tub and suite! 😊. If they allowed you to use the hot tub on the Sky, why wouldn't it be the same for the Gem? 

18 minutes ago, HBCcruiser said:

Awesome, thanks for the info about the Sky hot tub and suite! 😊. If they allowed you to use the hot tub on the Sky, why wouldn't it be the same for the Gem? 

We did round trip Miami with perfect weather.  This cruise, the first half should have great weather, but the last two sea days are along the east coast to NYC.  We did a cruise round-trip out of NYC once, and the seas within a day of NYC were pretty rough.

Picture of hot tub DOS suite 15500 NCL JEWEL -

Note hot tub is elevated on a sort of pedestal base and is significantly in the path

of any strong air movement - even if those plexiglass panels are there.

Peering over the fence to the left you can look down to the port side Garden Villa

and it's hot tub courtyard.

image.thumb.jpeg.96c2092bea79ad228f4e0511c35bb908.jpeg

• Like 1

On 5/3/2022 at 5:33 AM, bookbabe said:

Has anyone in a Gem (or Jewel, or really any ship) suite with a hot tub on the balcony been told they couldn’t use the hot tub because of the weather or sea conditions?

We’ve booked a Panama Canal (Panama to NYC) cruise on the Gem in one of the DOS with the hot tub on the balcony, and before fully committing to the extra expense, we want to make sure that we’re going to be able to use the hot tub on the final two sea days on the way to NYC.  We did a trip out of NYC at the end of December many years ago, and remember pretty rough seas that first day.  This cruise is mid-February, so approx same weather maybe?  We’re Canadian, so don’t care if it’s cold/rainy out, the issue is more whether NCL will say no to us using it.  We know there are lots of times they close the main pools, but what about people’s balcony hot tubs?

Yeah, we realize that we won’t be able to use it if there’s an actual storm, but what about in normal winter weather conditions?  Anyone had a suite with a hot tub on a cruise to/from NYC that can chime in on the usability of it?  Thoughts?

We were on Gem March 20-30 out of NY to the Eastern Caribbean.  Had the three bedroom villa in the haven with private hot tub and sauna. Used it a lot, but could get windy and if weather was too bad, they emptied it so you couldn't use it.  Then refilled when safe.  So totally depends on what weather you are getting.

• Thanks 1

We have sailed in the GV on several ships and never been told we couldn't use the hot tub at any particular time.  We once had a sea gull get caught in the space between the hot tub and wall.  That was kind of exciting.  We did get him unwedged and sent him on his way.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, dexddd said:

The dos hot tub on Gem does not have a heater.  The ones up the stairs.

We stayed in 15000 a few times and there was definitely a heater.  In fact the steward had to open the little door by the stairs to turn the heater down as it was too hot.

Maybe the heater just wasn't working or was turned off when you were in the cabin?

It seemed as if the heater kicked in when we hit the button for the bubbles.  But, who knows all the hot tubs seem a little quirky!

• Like 1

We enjoyed the DOS on the Gem (loud until late at night due to location) the hot tub was emptied due to high seas twice. We sailed RT NYC- Bahamas in the month of Oct. The young man from the Haven pool area took care of our hot tub and did fill it as soon as the seas were calm. My concern in the winter would be icy trip to and from the tub, remember also has stairs.

• Like 1