Pierside Covid testing?

pfund

2 hours ago, mw8811 said:

I am so stressed about this testing business and we don't go until September 9th.     I am just ready to cancel, lose lots of money and forget it.     

You have 3 months.......I would not cancel and lose all the money I paid. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Cancun01 said:

For our May 25 Barcelona embarkation we received our documents 12 days out of sailing. The document provided at the ss hotel made it very clear that ss would provide pierside rapid testing until June 30 but stated that if  you want to to embark more quickly, obtain a test  before arriving at the pier.  Rapid testing at a pharmacy recommended by the hotel was €30 each x the 6 people in our party.  Not sure if the hotel takes a cut. LOL. We opted to wait until the pier.  It was very quick and efficient.  A woman had an iPad and walked around calling out names and waved us towards the door to complete check-in after testing negative. Easy peasy.  The other people waiting with us were from the hotel transfer so I am not certain if testing was only for those with pre-cruise ss hotels.

Hi, this is very interesting since you sailed from Barcelona. I am going out of there in 2 weeks. My email never mentioned the June 30th date. You said the document at the SS hotel said they would be providing the testing? Would love to know if your email you received before you left had that date on it?

Where did you stay pre-cruise? 

22 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Hi, this is very interesting since you sailed from Barcelona. I am going out of there in 2 weeks. My email never mentioned the June 30th date. You said the document at the SS hotel said they would be providing the testing? Would love to know if your email you received before you left had that date on it?

Where did you stay pre-cruise? 

Lois..

We stayed at the Majestic.

This was in the email we received.   Let me see if I still have the document we were given at the hotel.  Stay tuned…

f you arrive for embarkation with a valid antigen negative test result, please make note you will enjoy expedited boarding. If you require pier-side testing by Silversea at embarkation, please note this will result in a delayed boarding process for you. If you are unable to obtain a negative test in time for embarkation, Silversea will continue to provide complimentary pier-side testing prior to boarding the ship, through June 30, 2022.

34 minutes ago, Cancun01 said:

Lois..

We stayed at the Majestic.

This was in the email we received.   Let me see if I still have the document we were given at the hotel.  Stay tuned…

f you arrive for embarkation with a valid antigen negative test result, please make note you will enjoy expedited boarding. If you require pier-side testing by Silversea at embarkation, please note this will result in a delayed boarding process for you. If you are unable to obtain a negative test in time for embarkation, Silversea will continue to provide complimentary pier-side testing prior to boarding the ship, through June 30, 2022.

Hi, they removed that section of the email from what I received. I am staying at the same place. 

As I had mentioned in my first reply, the only thing they said was, "For guests participating in a Pre or Post cruise land program, Silversea will provide necessary testing if required." I hope this means if you are staying at a SS property. 

Whatever was true last week ain't necessarily so this week. 😉 

Lois, I'd try to check directly with SS about this. While they originally said through June 30, the fact that they removed that language from your letter may indicate they aren't doing it at the end of June. Also, I dob't know if just staying in a hotel pre-cruise counts as a "pre-cruise land program"; I thought a "land program" referred to a 3-5 travel excursion before or after a cruise.

20 minutes ago, cruiseej said:

Whatever was true last week ain't necessarily so this week. 😉 

Lois, I'd try to check directly with SS about this. While they originally said through June 30, the fact that they removed that language from your letter may indicate they aren't doing it at the end of June. Also, I dob't know if just staying in a hotel pre-cruise counts as a "pre-cruise land program"; I thought a "land program" referred to a 3-5 travel excursion before or after a cruise.

I agree with you 100% and will talk with SS about it. My flight arrives around noon the day before my cruise and using SS transfers to the hotel. I am actually thinking of emailing the hotel and seeing if they can give me testing information for later that day and just paying out of pocket and having it done locally. 

Or since you have the 72 hour window? I guess I can still be tested here on time

before I fly out with a rapid test.

And there lies the problem, it can and does change week on week. We are taking no chances, we have an appointment to have a PCR test two days before embarkation, we dont want anything to get in the way of our first cruise in over three years.

Lois, I agree with others’ advice to call Silversea or your TA for clarification.  I believe the rapid antigen has to be with 24 hours of embarkation.  The PCR has a  72 hour window.  In our case we flew into Barcelona 4 days before embarkation.  We had little choice but to obtain our testing there.  If you find out from ss they are no longer providing pierside testing… If it were me I would be tempted to obtain a PCR test before you leave the US…that way you can enjoy your time in Barcelona having a beverage of choice on the Majestic rooftop bar, finding some nice tapas, paella or there is some great shopping near the hotel instead of getting tested. 

And remember you have 2 weeks….testing requirements could change again and again. 

I apologize….this is the actual wording from the ss notice at the hotel May 25.  The email they refer to is the wording that I provided in post #103 which stated June 30. 

Please make sure to refer to the “Important information regarding your upcoming voyage” guest email communication that has been previously sent by Silversea Cruises for detailed information about safety protocols, policies and procedures for embarkation, check-in, while onboard and disembarkation. This important information is also available through “My Silversea”.  

If you decide to wait until Barcelona, the ss rep in the hospitality suite should be able to help you. 

Edited by Cancun01

6 minutes ago, ex-hippie said:

No need for appointments...if you purchase the Binax testing kits (with on line supervision included), you can do it at your leisure.

Agree as long as you can be assured of decent Internet.  I know some who ended up going to a pharmacy anyway because the Internet in their hotel was less than stellar and they lost their connection. 

8 minutes ago, Cancun01 said:

Lois, I agree with others’ advice to call Silversea or your TA for clarification.  I believe the rapid antigen has to be with 24 hours of embarkation.  The PCR has a  72 hour window.  In our case we flew into Barcelona 4 days before embarkation.  We had little choice but to obtain our testing there.  If you find out from ss they are no longer providing pierside testing… If it were me I would be tempted to obtain a PCR test before you leave the US…that way you can enjoy your time in Barcelona having a beverage of choice on the Majestic rooftop bar, finding some nice tapas, paella or there is some great shopping near the hotel instead of getting tested. 

And remember you have 2 weeks….testing requirements could change again and again. 

I apologize….this is the actual wording from the ss notice at the hotel May 25.  The email they refer to is the wording that I provided in post #103 which stated June 30. 

Please make sure to refer to the “Important information regarding your upcoming voyage” guest email communication that has been previously sent by Silversea Cruises for detailed information about safety protocols, policies and procedures for embarkation, check-in, while onboard and disembarkation. This important information is also available through “My Silversea”.  

Hi, thanks for the reply.  The problem with a PCR is the timing of the results. Maybe I am just dense but 72 hours is 3 days. If I get a PCR 3 days before I leave? It will be expired by the time I sail. How do I know if I will get the results back on time?😲.......last time I flew to Europe (last year) I was able to get a Rapid Test 2 days before I left here and it was acceptable.  

40 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Hi, thanks for the reply.  The problem with a PCR is the timing of the results. Maybe I am just dense but 72 hours is 3 days. If I get a PCR 3 days before I leave? It will be expired by the time I sail. How do I know if I will get the results back on time?😲.......last time I flew to Europe (last year) I was able to get a Rapid Test 2 days before I left here and it was acceptable.  

Won’t it be great when we can all stop wondering about the timing of results and these tests:?  That was one of the reasons after much consideration we opted for pierside antigen testing.   The onus was on whomever ss  contracted to get the results quickly! Again, I would call Silversea and ask them to explain their current rules and I would call them again next week incase their rules change.   I feel your frustration. It is difficult to comply when you don’t know the precise rules and who qualifies for which rules. 

12 minutes ago, Cancun01 said:

Won’t it be great when we can all stop wondering about the timing of results and these tests:?  That was one of the reasons after much consideration we opted for pierside antigen testing.   The onus was on whomever ss  contracted to get the results quickly! Again, I would call Silversea and ask them to explain their current rules and I would call them again next week incase their rules change.   I feel your frustration. It is difficult to comply when you don’t know the precise rules and who qualifies for which rules. 

Hi, thank you for the kind response🙂 I will be in touch with SS this week for sure and I decided to email the hotel anyway. Told them what I was needing and will wait to see what kind of answer back I receive. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cancun01 said:

If I get a PCR 3 days before I leave? It will be expired by the time I sail. How do I know if I will get the results back on time?

If you use a standard PCR testing facility which provides results in 3 days, then you risk not getting your results in time, or getting tested too early for them to get you on the ship.

In the case of our two cruises in the past year, when a PCR test was required, we got a PCR test before leaving from a testing facility that guaranteed results within 24 hours. (The first trip, we paid $100 per person, but it was worth it for the peace of mind. The second trip, we found a place which billed it through our insurance, and we didn't pay anything! In both cases, we had our test results in under 24 hours.) If you get the test on the day before you leave, you can have the results that night or the following morning, and the results are good long enough for you to board the ship.

24 minutes ago, cruiseej said:

If you use a standard PCR testing facility which provides results in 3 days, then you risk not getting your results in time, or getting tested too early for them to get you on the ship.

In the case of our two cruises in the past year, when a PCR test was required, we got a PCR test before leaving from a testing facility that guaranteed results within 24 hours. (The first trip, we paid $100 per person, but it was worth it for the peace of mind. The second trip, we found a place which billed it through our insurance, and we didn't pay anything! In both cases, we had our test results in under 24 hours.) If you get the test on the day before you leave, you can have the results that night or the following morning, and the results are good long enough for you to board the ship.

Hi, will be doing a lot of stuff this week. Will see what the hotel answers me. Will see what SS answers me and will see about finding a place with a PCR test that will guarantee me the results in 24 hours. (whatever the cost).

Good morning..........good news (Hopefully). I spoke with SS this morning and the gentleman I spoke with said my sailing WOULD be having pier side testing and it would be the last cruise to offer it. 

I explained the situation and told him what my email said......he put me on hold for about 2 minutes and came back and said Pier side testing will be offered through June 30th.  The gal I usually deal with is off today and I will be in touch with her tomorrow to re-confirm what I was told today. He was very courteous and quite positive this sailing would still have testing Pier side. I did ask him why my email said otherwise...........he could not give me the answer to that one.......except to say, basically, it is a bulk email and went out without being proof read first. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Capri73 said:

Just got off the phone with SS. Pier side testing is only being done for Europe. 

Sorry to hear...........

4 hours ago, Lois R said:

Good morning..........good news (Hopefully). I spoke with SS this morning and the gentleman I spoke with said my sailing WOULD be having pier side testing and it would be the last cruise to offer it. 

I explained the situation and told him what my email said......he put me on hold for about 2 minutes and came back and said Pier side testing will be offered through June 30th.  The gal I usually deal with is off today and I will be in touch with her tomorrow to re-confirm what I was told today. He was very courteous and quite positive this sailing would still have testing Pier side. I did ask him why my email said otherwise...........he could not give me the answer to that one.......except to say, basically, it is a bulk email and went out without being proof read first. 

So far so good🤞Lois…but such a simple thing shouldn’t be this complicated and time-consuming for you ….just a suggestion…when you speak with your usual ss contact tomorrow….I would ask her to confirm ( so there is a mutual understanding) whatever she tells you in an email incase you get to the pier ( if you decide to be tested there)  and someone says complimentary testing is only for people with land packages etc.  The pierside testing for my husband and family in Barcelona in May was quick and easy but we didn’t have these pre-cruise concerns  because the literature was consistent. 

Edited by Cancun01

1 hour ago, Cancun01 said:

So far so good🤞Lois…but such a simple thing shouldn’t be this complicated and time-consuming for you ….just a suggestion…when you speak with your usual ss contact tomorrow….I would ask her to confirm ( so there is a mutual understanding) whatever she tells you in an email incase you get to the pier ( if you decide to be tested there)  and someone says complimentary testing is only for people with land packages etc.  The pierside testing for my husband and family in Barcelona in May was quick and easy but we didn’t have these pre-cruise concerns  because the literature was consistent. 

Hi, you know I was going to ask the guy I spoke with this morning to send me an email but then I ended the call after the thank you. I will definitely have my gal send me something via email. 

Amazing and somewhat bemused! Less than 10 days before we cruise and nothing from SS! If it wasn't for the good folks on here offering advise on locations and vaccination status we would have no idea what to expect on arrival at the ship.

Our first sailing for almost three years, we expected better from SS.

Lets hope the cruise lives up to our expectations?