Pierside Covid testing?

pfund

1 hour ago, Lois R said:

Hope you have a wonderful cruise😀

Thank you! A bit  apprehensive about getting to the ship tomorrow.

For now sitting in the hotel lounge enjoying a (traditional) champagne cocktail. Roy is enjoying his complimentary Guinness. Cheers! 
Wyn

On 6/20/2022 at 7:18 PM, Lois R said:

I have gone back and forth about posting this but since it is about testing.........I just spoke with my rep and if you can believe this......she told me they WILL be doing testing for my cruise pier side😲. They must have received a lot of blow back.......but, big BUT....I am still having my test done at my hotel. Who knows, by the time Monday gets here they may change it back to no test pier side😲

The good thing about getting the nose tickling test done prior reaching the ship is at least you know you should be OK to get on the ship. Unlike poor souls we saw being unloaded after getting a positive result at the port. So near and then bounced off. So disappointing.

Our cruise departs on July 5 and we've had no notifications regarding testing at the pier.  We're bringing monitored home tests that we can do in the hotel, just in case.  But they really need to tell people whether they need to get their own tests or whether there will be pier testing (or both) more than a few days in advance.  

24 minutes ago, ggo85 said:

Our cruise departs on July 5 and we've had no notifications regarding testing at the pier.  We're bringing monitored home tests that we can do in the hotel, just in case.  But they really need to tell people whether they need to get their own tests or whether there will be pier testing (or both) more than a few days in advance.  

Are you on the Moon? If so, we will be joining you. Our EMeds self test (proctored) are arriving today.

Yes, on Moon.  I'm a Crystal refugee -- first time on SS.  Not overly impressed with their pre-cruise notifications.  I don't really care whether we need to test before arriving at the pier or whether we will be tested at the pier or both.  But I would like the requirements delineated -- well in advance.  

This is especially true for a cruise leaving out of a foreign country, meaning that many people will be departing the US well before the cruise date.  Also, being in a different country makes it a bit more challenging to find testing (for those not bringing their own kits).  Not everyone knows about home proctored testing -- must confess I didn't until just a week ago. People may be scrambling if pier testing isn't offered, so should be told soon in order to make appropriate arrangements.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ggo85 said:

Yes, on Moon.  I'm a Crystal refugee -- first time on SS.  Not overly impressed with their pre-cruise notifications.  I don't really care whether we need to test before arriving at the pier or whether we will be tested at the pier or both.  But I would like the requirements delineated -- well in advance.  

This is especially true for a cruise leaving out of a foreign country, meaning that many people will be departing the US well before the cruise date.  Also, being in a different country makes it a bit more challenging to find testing (for those not bringing their own kits).  Not everyone knows about home proctored testing -- must confess I didn't until just a week ago. People may be scrambling if pier testing isn't offered, so should be told soon in order to make appropriate arrangements.

In Copenhagen, the company close to our hotel is Copenhagen Medical and you can Google them. The concierge can give you the address. They open at 8AM and no appointment needed. About $20US for the antigen test. 

Edited by A Tucson Guy

On 6/20/2022 at 2:29 PM, seaknots said:

it is used by eu member states to formulate their rules & guidance

also accepted by clia & most cruise lines to base their protocols & advise crew & passengers when in europe - saves constant checks with every country & port

viking is not a clia member

When I asked where the mandate is, you posted this guide which is simply personal advice and not an instructions. 

If it is being used by EU member states, their instructions regarding boarding would be published somewhere and appears not to be and I would have thought the preface would say it's as you suggest.

Not even sure what CLIA is... But it's not an EU mandate and seems to be an affiliation type group.... And Viking are not the only ones not testing. P&O have also dropped - at least on some.

They can do this because it's the CL choice, which is absolutely fine either way. Test or no test. Just dont claim it's a government instruction when it's a CL preference.

I actually spoke with SS today re flights and asked after about testing and the difficulties. Funnily enough, the rep quoted your guide and when I challenged it's value, he admitted they are aware it's not a mandate but something they want to do and their choice not a legal requirement.

Given the issues and difficulties now faced with getting tests and it being a SS preference, is why I challenged it's being insisted as a legal requirement. It isn't and the rep I spoke to admitted that is the case. He did say he personally thought it may well be dropped. 

You can't have people missing cruises because they've been unable to get a test and the CL no longer provides tests at the pier that had always been free.

Edited by les37b
  • Like 2

There didn't appear to be any piers ide testing in Edinburgh yesterday. I had to leave home on Wednesday instead of Thursday because of the train strike, so instead of doing my 3rd party verified antigen test at home with fast internet, I was reliant on a very indifferent wifi at a hotel. Thank goodness I had a backup test. The one I'd  booked on zoom failed as the connection dropped out and the observer terminated the meeting. The other was much simpler as I had already registered on the app  scanned in my passport etc. All I had to do was input the test order number, do it and upload a snapshot, wait for the 15 minute timer to end and scan the result. I got a message saying please wait 2 to 3 hours for your results, but my phone pinged after 10 minutes with a negative result and attached fit to travel certificate. I downloaded this in case of no signal at the terminal. Everything else I had printed out.

The whole thing took 5 minutes, temperature check, receipt of medical questionnaire,  and endorsement by staff of proof of vaccination and sight of verified negative test and certificate. 

On 6/18/2022 at 5:23 AM, les37b said:

Viking no longer test to board and have gone from the strictest testing regime, to nothing needing (outside of general country entry requirements.)

viking still recommends testing before departure for all cruises as well as requiring tests for specific countries

21 hours ago, les37b said:

Not even sure what CLIA is

cruise lines international trade association

they are aware it's not a mandate but something they want to do

there is no problem with cruise lines taking a careful approach by following CDC & EU health advice

Just dont claim it's a government instruction when it's a CL preference.

does silversea or other cruise lines say this in writing? 

cl preference? I am sure all cruise lines want to be rid of all covid measures for crew and passengers but still need to take a cautious approach

• Like 1

5 hours ago, seaknots said:

viking still recommends testing before departure for all cruises as well as requiring tests for specific countries

cruise lines international trade association

there is no problem with cruise lines taking a careful approach by following CDC & EU health advice

does silversea or other cruise lines say this in writing? 

cl preference? I am sure all cruise lines want to be rid of all covid measures for crew and passengers but still need to take a cautious approach

I am not advocating not taking a cautious approach. I know first hand the effects of COVID quarantine on a ship.

The issue is to claim it's a government mandate which I've repeatedly said isn't true and you've attempted to disprove and now arguing it's simply a good idea. That's a completely different thing and I'm not disagreeing with that perspective.

And yes, they have said it's a lawful requirement which is why this is being challenged. The rep I spoke with still tried to say it was a legal requirement until he backed down and then admitted it's a CL decision. 

There is nothing wrong with being truthful. Viking still insist on testing "in various countries" as you point out and that is because in some it's still mandatory. eg South America.

And my personal opinion, is if it's a company preference, then it should be at their expense at the pier and provided by the CL. Maybe this CLIA could organise it 

On 6/25/2022 at 6:23 AM, Clodia said:

The other was much simpler as I had already registered on the app  scanned in my passport etc. All I had to do was input the test order number, do it and upload a snapshot, wait for the 15 minute timer to end and scan the result. I got a message saying please wait 2 to 3 hours for your results, but my phone pinged after 10 minutes with a negative result and attached fit to travel certificate. I downloaded this in case of no signal at the terminal.

Did this test not require a stable internet connection? They accepted a snapshot vs monitoring the whole process? I'm trying to figure the best option for our upcoming trip; we'll need to test while in transit, probably during a layover and keep our fingers crossed for stable enough internet for the remote proctoring.

On 6/25/2022 at 11:03 PM, les37b said:

you've attempted to disprove and now arguing it's simply a good idea.

so sorry you felt my posts to be arguing 

not my intent

I was giving information

On 6/25/2022 at 11:03 PM, les37b said:

Maybe this CLIA could organise it 

unlikely as it is the clia members who decided to no longer arrange testing at embarkation

I have no problem with a CL requiring a negative COVID test before boarding even if not required by local authorities and, at a certain level, don't mind if we passengers have to pay for it.  However, when the cruise departs out of a non-US port, I think they ought to offer pierside testing.

The reasons are:  (1) some people have long transits and thus it could be a challenge to get the testing done in the US during the allowed window before departing; and (2) it is obviously more complicated to get testing done in a non-US country (i.e., finding a site, making an appointment (if needed),  getting there and back, making sure they're open when you can get there, hoping they speak English, etc.)

I had to find a test site in another STATE(!).  The place recommended by the hotel was a 20-minute walk, cost $150 for antigen, and was not covered by insurance.  And it wasn't open on Sunday. That's in the US and it was still a challenge.  

I understand why CL's don't want to do 100% testing at the pier.  When Crystal was doing this (at Crystal's expense), things got so backed up that people were forced to stand in the hot sun for extended periods and the ship was two hours late leaving port.  The solution, IMHO, is for SS to STRONGLY recommend testing prior to arriving at the port but offer it at the pier for those who can't get it done.  Charge a bundle to discourage pierside testing, but at least make it an alternative.

As an aside, the email notifying us of the need to test in advance was in my spam folder (every other SS email goes to my Inbox).  Thus, people could miss it and not everyone reads these boards.  It is also VERY confusing regarding whether the testing needs to be done 48 or 72 hours prior.  If you're "fully vaccinated," it's 48 but if you're "up to date" with your vaccinations, it's 72.  Nothing in the correspondence defines the difference between the two.  We're doing it the day before, but clarity is always a good thing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ggo85 said:

I understand why CL's don't want to do 100% testing at the pier.  When Crystal was doing this (at Crystal's expense), things got so backed up that people were forced to stand in the hot sun for extended periods and the ship was two hours late leaving port.  The solution, IMHO, is for SS to STRONGLY recommend testing prior to arriving at the port but offer it at the pier for those who can't get it done.  Charge a bundle to discourage pierside testing, but at least make it an alternative.

As an aside, the email notifying us of the need to test in advance was in my spam folder (every other SS email goes to my Inbox).  Thus, people could miss it and not everyone reads these boards.  It is also VERY confusing regarding whether the testing needs to be done 48 or 72 hours prior.  If you're "fully vaccinated," it's 48 but if you're "up to date" with your vaccinations, it's 72.  Nothing in the correspondence defines the difference between the two.  We're doing it the day before, but clarity is always a good thing.

I do very much agree that pier side testing delays embarkation, and with your suggestion that it should be strongly discouraged, I also agree it is a bad policy to deny boarding to pax who have been unable to get a test in a foreign country, maybe through no fault of their own if they have been perhaps subject to travel delays, so it should be available as a last resort at the pier. 

(Anyone know if any pax have actually been denied boarding? Or if SS in a crunch will actually do a pier side test?)

However, as for 'fully vaxxed' or 'up to date' definitions, all this info is on the SS website (along with most things you need to know) which every passenger can (and should but probably won't) read.

Under the 'Healthy Sailing' tab, you will find:

Silversea accepts vaccines that are fully approved or authorized for emergency use by the U.S. FDA or the World Health Organization.

A guest is considered fully vaccinated 14 days after the required number of doses in their vaccine series have been fully administered (e.g. 2 shots of Pfizer, Moderna, AstraZeneca, etc., or 1 shot of Johnson & Johnson).

Similar to testing, we have seen that destinations across the globe are now updating validity dates for vaccination series. Many countries have differing rules (both based on residency and as entry requirements), with most now indicating an “up to date” COVID-19 vaccine includes an additional dose anywhere from 90 to 270 days past the original series completion date. Quite simply, the vaccine will no longer be considered up to date unless an additional dose has been received after a certain time has elapsed from the completion of the primary series.

This is further clarified:

Pre-Embarkation Testing Requirements
Fully Vaccinated Guests: If you are fully vaccinated for COVID-19 (but have not received an additional dose or booster), you must provide a negative antigen or PCR test result, administered by a verified third party (either a laboratory or pharmacy), taken no more than 2 days prior to boarding your ship.
Up to Date Vaccinated Guests: If you are up to date with your COVID-19 vaccines, you must provide a negative COVID-19 antigen or PCR test result, administered by a verified third party (either a laboratory or pharmacy), taken no more than 3 days prior to boarding your ship.

(Note that it is 2 days and 3 days, other places say 48 hrs or 72 hrs - your guess is as good as mine which one will apply).

It's all potentially very confusing and anxiety provoking - how I long for the days when the lead up to a cruise was spent in happy anticipation.

Edited by jollyjones

58 minutes ago, jollyjones said:

However, as for 'fully vaxxed' or 'up to date' definitions, all this info is on the SS website… 

"
Many countries have differing rules (both based on residency and as entry requirements), with most now indicating an “up to date” COVID-19 vaccine includes an additional dose anywhere from 90 to 270 days past the original series completion date."

That unfortunately doesn't explain whether the passenger must seek out and comply with the up-to-date time requirement for the country of embarkation, the country of disembarkation, or all countries visited (even if not leaving the ship) during the cruise. Which is it? 

38 minutes ago, cruiseej said:

That unfortunately doesn't explain whether the passenger must seek out and comply with the up-to-date time requirement for the country of embarkation, the country of disembarkation, or all countries visited (even if not leaving the ship) during the cruise. Which is it? 

From the same page on the SS website - 

"All embarking crew, and all guests aged 12 years and older, must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 at least two weeks prior to embarkation. Only guests with vaccines approved by the WHO (see here) will be permitted to board. A copy of the vaccination certificate must be uploaded to the guest’s ‘My Silversea’ in advance of their travels, in addition to showing their vaccination certificate or printed copy during the check-in and embarkation process.

As the global travel landscape continues to evolve, we will require that each guest ensures their COVID-19 vaccination status is up to date for both their country of residence and the intended countries they plan to visit."

And further:

"Up to Date Vaccinated Guests: You will need to be fully up to date with your vaccine status (“up to date” means a person has received all recommended COVID-19 vaccines, including any booster dose(s) when eligible), in accordance with each of the countries you plan to visit on your respective itinerary. We recommend that you refer to each country’s official government website to understand the complete vaccination status requirements for entry, as the ability to roam freely, enter restaurants, cultural institutions, etc. For example, some countries may allow entry for fully vaccinated travellers, but will require “up to date” vaccine status to dine at a restaurant. It is your responsibility to ensure you are adequately inoculated to enter and enjoy the countries on your itinerary."

Edited by jollyjones

Thanks for the clarification re fully and up-to-date.  We're double boosted as of April so clearly up-to-date.  I guess I should have gone to the website, but is it really so hard for a luxury line to make clear what each guest needs for each country they're visiting.  

My only post-COVID cruise comparison is Crystal.  They sent an email at least two weeks in advance with step-by-step instructions of what you needed for each country (health visa, travel visa, testing, etc.) and how to do it.  Literally with pictures.  Even then, there was confusion (to be fair. some of the country requirements themselves were inconsistent). 

Not every passenger is an internet wiz.  Thus, additional detail from SS would be very helpful, especially if you risk being denied boarding.  How hard would it be for SS to quote in their "spam" email 😀(mine was in the spam folder but their promotional emails get through to my inbox just fine) what was posted above?  How hard would it be to be consistent re "48 hours" and "2 days?"  How hard would it be for SS to look up the requirements for each country on the ship's itinerary and provide a link -- but note that the info is only valid as of the last time you check it?  How hard would it be to send every passenger a personal email (at least one full week before the cruise departs) specifically reminding them of the testing and vaccination requirements?  

People are paying a lot to go on SS, some of us for the first time.  IMHO, being a "luxury line," starts with making life easy for passengers well before embarkation -- or at least as easy as it can be in these challenging times.  

And a huge thanks to all those who helpfully posted above!!

• Like 1

On 6/26/2022 at 4:55 PM, geekgirl23 said:

Did this test not require a stable internet connection? They accepted a snapshot vs monitoring the whole process? I'm trying to figure the best option for our upcoming trip; we'll need to test while in transit, probably during a layover and keep our fingers crossed for stable enough internet for the remote proctoring.

The internet connection was good enough to use an app but failed to maintain a zoom link. Having 2 tests ordered worked. Either would have worked at home which indicates that guests with long transits may have problems. 

The other thing which is happening in the UK is that as cruise lines are now virtually the only organisations requiring tests, most testing has shut down making it much harder to organize a test.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Clodia said:

The internet connection was good enough to use an app but failed to maintain a zoom link. Having 2 tests ordered worked. Either would have worked at home which indicates that guests with long transits may have problems. 

The other thing which is happening in the UK is that as cruise lines are now virtually the only organisations requiring tests, most testing has shut down making it much harder to organize a test.

I suspect it won't be long before near impossible to get a test.... And no doubt will cost a fortune.

As of yesterday, I became officially unvaccinated. We have no double booster option in the UK, so pretty soon most of the UK population will be over 270 days since last jab.

My next 2 SS cruise embarkations are Barbados and Osaka early next year. If these restrictions are not lifted by then or testing at the pier returned, I'm fearful I won't be going.

When I spoke with my SS rep a few days ago, he mentioned the difficulties a guest had getting tested for a departure from Edinburgh. Things will get worse.

Hi les37b  I was worried re the 270 days rule too - we are going on a Christmas Market river cruise this autumn, but our Tauck rep assures me it just means if you are more than 270 days from the original pair of jabs (Spring 2021) then you need to have had a 3rd jab - which we did in autumn 2021. Hopefully!

If there are no more dangerous variants (as opposed to the ones which gives you a slight cold) then I think the UK will stop vaccinations, not to mention tests. So will cruise lines ban all UK people? Hopefully not.

5 minutes ago, worldtraveller99 said:

Hi les37b  I was worried re the 270 days rule too - we are going on a Christmas Market river cruise this autumn, but our Tauck rep assures me it just means if you are more than 270 days from the original pair of jabs (Spring 2021) then you need to have had a 3rd jab - which we did in autumn 2021. Hopefully!

If there are no more dangerous variants (as opposed to the ones which gives you a slight cold) then I think the UK will stop vaccinations, not to mention tests. So will cruise lines ban all UK people? Hopefully not.

Going from memory here, I'm fairly sure EU entry is dependant on the 270 days since last jab (including booster), so you would be deemed unvaccinated and require a negative test for entry as a legal requirement.

Embarkation will be down to the CL and tend to agree, they will need to change their rules or face no UK cruisers as guests pretty soon.

The whole situation has become farcical. 

All my 3 SS bookings are way into the future, but if I'm not considered compliant come 150 before each sailing, I will simply request a refund and put it towards my electricity bill. 😄

But are the EU doing 4th jabs either (for the under 75s)? Anyway, it's November, so not going to worry - maybe it will be within the flu jab I have had for years in September? 

Also interested you are going to Osaka. We want to go in 2025 for their Expo, but not if they still insist you have to only be there in a group tour. Which is your cruise line for that?

1 minute ago, worldtraveller99 said:

But are the EU doing 4th jabs either (for the under 75s)? Anyway, it's November, so not going to worry - maybe it will be within the flu jab I have had for years in September? 

Also interested you are going to Osaka. We want to go in 2025 for their Expo, but not if they still insist you have to only be there in a group tour. Which is your cruise line for that?

It's on the Muse. Osaka to Seward 16 nights in April 23

It's my 3rd attempt for this booking originally made in March 2019. I'll give up if it needs a 4th attempt.

Who knows what's planned for 2025! At the mo, I don't believe Japan is open at all yet for tourism. I did raise the question (as Japan 22 is still showing) and was told SS are "hoping" a change of government may solve this issue with upcoming elections. 

Genuinely not sure re double boost. I suspect some countries will, but not all, which kinda messes with the Shenghen arrangements making some member states lesser members if the case.

28 minutes ago, les37b said:

Going from memory here, I'm fairly sure EU entry is dependant on the 270 days since last jab (including booster), so you would be deemed unvaccinated and require a negative test for entry as a legal requirement.

This is what is stated in the European commission website

"EU countries should lift the temporary restriction on non-essential travel to the EU for persons vaccinated with an EU-authorised or a WHO-approved vaccine, provided they have received the last dose of the primary vaccination series at least 14 days and no more than 270 days before arrival or they have received an additional booster dose."

https://ec.europa.eu/info/live-work-travel-eu/coronavirus-response/travel-during-coronavirus-pandemic_en

So it is only 270 days from the primary vaccination dose at this stage. There is no time limit put on the booster dose.