Pierside Covid testing?

pfund

On the Wind now in Greece, heading next to Italy. While masking indoors on the ship is encouraged, we are required to mask only if local regulations mandate it. Both Greece and Italy expect masks on buses and stores, public buildings, etc., so that affects excursions. That works for me. Many passengers (myself included) wear masks in the hallways and larger gatherings, whether required or not. 

On 5/26/2022 at 4:18 PM, mchell810 said:

@NeilP57    I did get the email this morning from SS: they are continuing pier-side testing until June 30th.  They note it as part of the EU requirements, as we are both boarding in Venice/Fusina I want to share this info.  (I cannot say what is happening for other regions.)

629185EB-6AE5-4B74-9FE8-A93D0DA4E4FB_1_201_a.jpeg

We received exactly the same message for our June 17 departure from Venice, I think which is a week after your departure. So glad that pier side testing is being retained for the Venice departures. 

The one point I am unsure about is what time to show up at the cruise terminal in Venice. The email says that embarkation is from 2pm, so does that mean arrive at the Venice cruise terminal at say 1pm, do all the normal check in formalities plus for us, pier side testing, and then get bussed to Fusina to arrive just after 2pm to board the SS Spirit. Or is the 2pm the earliest time you can arrive at the Venice cruise terminal. Any insight from your experience next week welcome. 

4 hours ago, NeilP57 said:

We received exactly the same message for our June 17 departure from Venice, I think which is a week after your departure. So glad that pier side testing is being retained for the Venice departures. 

The one point I am unsure about is what time to show up at the cruise terminal in Venice. The email says that embarkation is from 2pm, so does that mean arrive at the Venice cruise terminal at say 1pm, do all the normal check in formalities plus for us, pier side testing, and then get bussed to Fusina to arrive just after 2pm to board the SS Spirit. Or is the 2pm the earliest time you can arrive at the Venice cruise terminal. Any insight from your experience next week welcome. 

I will try to post my experience. 

• Like 1

Hi Mancunian,

We set sail a week after you, we wondered about the locator forms for Italy, you have answered that question thank you.

Have you had your boarding instructions yet please? If so, any surprises there?

Although we now live in Cyprus we were not too far from you, Stockport in fact. 

On 6/2/2022 at 10:44 PM, NeilP57 said:

I arrived at the port at 12:40pm (earlier than intended). There were plenty of SS reps around; they took the luggage and directed me to a waiting area. The rep explained they wouldn’t begin boarding processes until 2pm including Covid testing  (and bc of Covid there wouldn’t be refreshments; however bottled water was available.)

There were probably 50 people already waiting when I arrived. About 1:15 they handed out the health questionnaire and shortly after began taking people for processing. Because there was no formal announcement and it was difficult to hear & many people started rushing in so staff had to corral them so that everyone wasn’t tryout to go in at once. The whole process was well organized with staff directing you along each step. I did do my Covid test there so that added to the process but once got the all clear I headed to checkin (photo and credit card) the to the shuttle bus. I was on the bus by 2:15. We sat for along time to get out of the port area — not sure why. By 3pm I was boarding the ship. Rooms were not ready until 4pm but restaurants were.  

Edited by mchell810
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, mchell810 said:

I arrived at the port at 12:40pm (earlier than intended). There were plenty of SS reps around; they took the luggage and directed me to a waiting area. The rep explained they wouldn’t begin boarding processes until 2pm including Covid testing  (and bc of Covid there wouldn’t be refreshments; however bottled water was available.)

There were probably 50 people already waiting when I arrived. About 1:15 they handed out the health questionnaire and shortly after began taking people for processing. Because there was no formal announcement and it was difficult to hear & many people started rushing in so staff had to corral them so that everyone wasn’t tryout to go in at once. The whole process was well organized with staff directing you along each step. I did do my Covid test there so that added to the process but once got the all clear I headed to checkin (photo and credit card) the to the shuttle bus. I was on the bus by 2:15. We sat for along time to get out of the port area — not sure why. By 3pm I was boarding the ship. Rooms were not ready until 4pm but restaurants were.  

Thank you for this update. It is appreciated!🙂 What port are you sailing from?

7 minutes ago, mchell810 said:

Many thanks for the information, that’s so kind of you to post so promptly.

Perhaps turning up later (maybe 3pm) would be preferable. I may try and get a COVID test done in Venice late afternoon the day before. 

Was there any suggestion that this would have speeded up things by much? 

I am also trying to find out what happens at the end of the trip, does everybody get bussed back from Fusina to the cruise terminal or can go by taxi/coach from Fusina to the airport. Any thoughts, but maybe I will need to wait until your disembarkation instructions. 

2 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Thank you for this update. It is appreciated!🙂 What port are you sailing from?

The port is Venice with check in at the cruise terminal and then a bus takes passengers to the Fusina port about 25-30 minutes away. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NeilP57 said:

The port is Venice with check in at the cruise terminal and then a bus takes passengers to the Fusina port about 25-30 minutes away. 

Ohhh...ok, thanks🙂

We’ve just received an email stating that no testing will be carried out at the cruise terminal, but we have to present a negative antigen test performed within 72 hours of boarding, when we are checking in.

This is for the June 24th Venice sailing.🤔

Edited by turnip eater

3 minutes ago, turnip eater said:

We’ve just received an email stating that no testing will be carried out at the cruise terminal, but we have to present a negative antigen test performed within 72 hours of boarding, when we are checking in.

How very strange, in the email quoted in post #34 above they said that pier side testing for EU departures would continue until June 31st. 

Maybe the EU requirements have changed from a negative test <24 hrs pre boarding to <72 hours. 

Or maybe the left hand doesn’t know what the right hand is doing? 

I am boarding on the 17th in Venice and I have not received any new emails other than the one quoted above. Then again I have not received any  eDocs, tickets, etc either. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NeilP57 said:

How very strange, in the email quoted in post #34 above they said that pier side testing for EU departures would continue until June 31st. 

Maybe the EU requirements have changed from a negative test <24 hrs pre boarding to <72 hours. 

Or maybe the left hand doesn’t know what the right hand is doing? 

I am boarding on the 17th in Venice and I have not received any new emails other than the one quoted above. Then again I have not received any  eDocs, tickets, etc either. 

I think left hand not knowing what right hand is doing rings true.😳

btw only 30 days hath June, unless it’s different in Silversea land.😳

I am waiting for my email. Sailing on the 27th so it should be coming on the 12th. Will post what mine says. I am sailing out of Barcelona so it should be the same as Venice.  And that would be continuing until June 30🙂....June only has 30 days.

21 minutes ago, turnip eater said:

We are on the same cruise, nothing from SS as yet?  I too thought SS were doing pier side testing? All very odd.

25 minutes ago, turnip eater said:

Just received the same email this morning (and will be sailing on the 24th as well).  If the requirements have changed to 72 hours for negative test, that makes things easier to arrange around outbound travel. 

Edited by Dolcevita Diva

1 minute ago, Dolcevita Diva said:

Just received the same (and will be sailing on the 24th as well).  If the requirements have changed to 72 hours for negative test, that makes things easier to arrange around outbound travel. 

Thank goodness someone has the same as us😳. We are having fun trying to book a test at Boots (large UK chemist chain).

Just now, turnip eater said:

Thank goodness someone has the same as us😳. We are having fun trying to book a test at Boots (large UK chemist chain).

I had just purchased EMed kits for proctored self-testing yesterday afternoon (and for some reason they charged for overnight shipment as well).  Between this change and the removal of test requirements for return to the US,  I should have procrastinated another day! 

5 minutes ago, Dolcevita Diva said:

I had just purchased EMed kits for proctored self-testing yesterday afternoon (and for some reason they charged for overnight shipment as well).  Between this change and the removal of test requirements for return to the US,  I should have procrastinated another day! 

Oh dear😃! At least you have them.😉

Are you flying straight to Italy from Florida?

Have you got the correct face masks for entry into Italy!

FFP2 . I think, not sure, they are called N95 in the US

Edited by turnip eater

1 minute ago, turnip eater said:

True - far better to have them on hand.   I’ll be arriving in Venice the day before the cruise; connecting in Frankfurt.    When do you arrive? 

5 minutes ago, turnip eater said:

Have you got the correct face masks for entry into Italy!

FFP2 . I think, not sure, they are called N95 in the US

Wow, the correct face mask, had no idea that was a requirement? Can you get them in the UK?

1 minute ago, Dolcevita Diva said:

True - far better to have them on hand.   I’ll be arriving in Venice the day before the cruise; connecting in Frankfurt.    When do you arrive? 

Friday morning from London Heathrow. It’s a Silversea booked flight. Hopefully no problems, but Silversea should wait for us. 

• Like 1

Just now, fudge said:

Wow, the correct face mask, had no idea that was a requirement? Can you get them in the UK?

Oh Yes Boots have them. Should be able to get them in Heathrow. Found good info from GOV.UK website. It has links to Italian government website.