Pierside Covid testing?

pfund

22 hours ago, cruiseej said:

You should ask your doctor for a Cover Recovery Letter for travel. In most cases, having such a letter stating you recovered from Covid within the past 90 days will exempt you from testing requirements, because of the chance a test may show positive from remnants of the virus in your system.

I wouldn't have time to get one now; travelling next Wednesday and getting anything from my GP takes weeks. I'll just do the antigen test.

Received from SS today instructions for joining on 1st July sailing shows they will NOT provide pier-side testing at Venice and failure to provide satisfactory test results will result in denial of boarding. Presume this will apply to all departures from EU countries until the EU change their requirement.0CBCCE86-40D9-4F1B-93EC-1B67CEDD9FF1.thumb.png.a00457cffb1c046139d603bd0e02bd3d.png

• Like 1

Still nothing from SS a week out!  

Just been onto our TA in the UK who will find out today where the paperwork is?

She confirmed SS have not yet sent out the tickets or any paperwork, so frustrating!

On 6/14/2022 at 8:34 PM, Lois R said:

The Concierge at the hotel responded to my email and they have a company (lab) they use and can come to the hotel and test me.  "Just in case" my local one is not acceptable (and it is free), I am going to make an appt with hotel's folks and have them come Monday morning for an Antigen test. They told me the results would come within 3 hours.....I am having a 9am appt set up so by noon all should be good. Can't go to the ship till 2 anyway. 

And yes there is a charge. 85 Euros. Not too bad. That is about 89.00  I will just add it into the cruise cost😉

I am glad you were able to get something sorted Lois. I guess the hotel has now stepped up to the plate.  I hope ss have not stopped pierside testing prior to their previously announced date of June 30 because of “nickel and diming”.  After all you have no doubt paid a premium amount for your cruise and the stress caused from all the inconsistency should never have happened.   Hopefully it is all water under the bridge now and everything will go smoothly going forward.  Safe travels to you. Have fun! 

4 hours ago, Cancun01 said:

I am glad you were able to get something sorted Lois. I guess the hotel has now stepped up to the plate.  I hope ss have not stopped pierside testing prior to their previously announced date of June 30 because of “nickel and diming”.  After all you have no doubt paid a premium amount for your cruise and the stress caused from all the inconsistency should never have happened.   Hopefully it is all water under the bridge now and everything will go smoothly going forward.  Safe travels to you. Have fun! 

Thanks so much😀

On 6/16/2022 at 6:43 PM, eastwoodboy said:

Received from SS today instructions for joining on 1st July sailing shows they will NOT provide pier-side testing at Venice and failure to provide satisfactory test results will result in denial of boarding. Presume this will apply to all departures from EU countries until the EU change their requirement.0CBCCE86-40D9-4F1B-93EC-1B67CEDD9FF1.thumb.png.a00457cffb1c046139d603bd0e02bd3d.png

I'm not convinced there even is an EU requirement for boarding with a valid negative test result. I once thought there was and sure I'd seen it specified, but it seems it's always cruise lines stating "it's EU policy"

Viking no longer test to board and have gone from the strictest testing regime, to nothing needing (outside of general country entry requirements.)

For all cruises going forward, I will be passed the 270 days, so probably need a test to enter the country anyway, plus I'm I don't have an issue if all guests had to be tested. (There are loads of cases on the ship I just disembarked and many seemingly disregarding the consequences of quarantine and missed flights. Stupidity in my eyes!)

I rather suspect the "it's not us, it's the EU" is to lay the blame for the requirement and cost elsewhere.

I doubt they have special dispensation.... Hence my suspicions it's not an EU requirement as being stated.

If anyone can show an official EU site that stipulates this extra boarding requirement, I would be grateful.

So are tests required for non EU boardings?

My next 3 are well into the future, starting in Barbados, Osaka and Ft Lauderdale. I'm assuming the EU has no jurisdiction in these places and no test required? Mine are a long way off and appreciate goalposts move. But would be interested in what the current testing requirements SS mandate for elsewhere since the CDC test change for entering the US.

Edited by les37b

On 6/15/2022 at 8:54 PM, FauxNom said:

I understand completely! Sometimes the extra expense more than compensates for the mental and physical energy you would have to expend. Have a great cruise!

It begs the question if tests are still required for company policy, why it's deemed ok to pass the costs on, since pierside testing was always included. Annoyingly I just had to cough up £79 each for a PCR on another line, which were fine with up to 72 day results.

For several EU ports (and Athens in particular there are test sites in abundance with charges of between €5 and €10 for an antigen test and certificate.

But.... Having 3 D2D bookings where nothing is excluded, I now find I may have to locate a testing facility in Barbados, Osaka and Ft Lauderdale.  If SS expect test results, they should make sure the "package" is complete 

If they are no longer testing (and see my comments above about it being an "EU requirement"), if tests are required at those locations, I guess I will need to hope test sites are available still at a reasonable cost and near the pre cruise hotel SS provide me with.

It seems potentially to be a logistical nightmare.

• Like 1

Finally received the paperwork for our cruise on the 24th June. No Silver box this time, apparently its all digital now, no luggage labels, nothing, sad how times have changed.

Of course we are now in our holiday home in the UK with no printer!

I got mine for the 24th only by pestering my SS travel Advisor; they arrived hours later after that. I downloaded them all to my phone; they are printed as well but I'm sure that showing them on a phone will be fine. The hotel concierge would probably print them if you're staying the night before.

On 6/18/2022 at 5:23 AM, les37b said:

I'm not convinced there even is an EU requirement for boarding with a valid negative test result.

I rather suspect the "it's not us, it's the EU" is to lay the blame for the requirement and cost elsewhere.

If anyone can show an official EU site that stipulates this extra boarding requirement, I would be grateful.

https://www.healthygateways.eu/

https://www.healthygateways.eu/Portals/0/plcdocs/EUHG_Operational_guidelines_CoV_June2022.pdf?ver=2022-06-10-140149-413

Edited by seaknots

56 minutes ago, Clodia said:

I got mine for the 24th only by pestering my SS travel Advisor; they arrived hours later after that. I downloaded them all to my phone; they are printed as well but I'm sure that showing them on a phone will be fine. The hotel concierge would probably print them if you're staying the night before.

Thanks for the advise.

17 minutes ago, seaknots said:

Thank you for your link. I was about to post your doc was dated April and found one for June but I see you have also found and updated.

I'm not quite sure who healthy gateway.eu actually is. It doesn't look like an official EU gov mandate. If it's an official "must comply" document, it suggests a lot within that is not being adhered to. Included a further COVID test after day 4. Social distancing and quarantine in isolation in a single cabin (something they certainly didn't do on pursuit.... I hope the negative lady escaped ok and wasn't infected by having to share his cabin while he "isolated" in her cabin!

If it is pucker EU legislated site (and it's certainly better than the cruise line declaration it's "EU law".... Then it still isn't clear... Why isn't s 3 day PCR valid in Athens for example?

Anyway. Genuine thanks for finding something.

2 hours ago, fudge said:

Finally received the paperwork for our cruise on the 24th June. No Silver box this time, apparently its all digital now, no luggage labels, nothing, sad how times have changed.

Of course we are now in our holiday home in the UK with no printer!

There have not been any silver boxes or luggage tags sent since Covid happened.

21 hours ago, seaknots said:

There on there first page of the document posted, tells you all you need to know and confirms completely as I'd suggested in my previous reply. 

"The EU HEALTHY GATEWAYS Joint Action has received funding from the European Union, in the framework of the Third Health Programme (2014-2020). The content of this document represents the views of the author only and is his/her sole responsibility; it cannot be considered to reflect the views of the European Commission and/or the Consumers, Health, Agriculture and Food Executive Agency (CHAFEA) or any other body of the European Union. The European Commission and the Agency do not accept any responsibility for use that may be made of the information it contains."

It is neither expressing the opinion or a requirement of the EU, just as I'd said. As always, I'm happy to be corrected.

As it stands and as already stated, Viking Ocean (who had the strictest testing regime with onboard daily testing within their own PCR lab) no longer does any pre boarding tests. They don't have special dispensation and are following all LEGAL EU requirements.

Whether a pre boarding test and the difficulties and costs we all face for this is a good thing, is not the issue. (That's a different topic) Silversea, have stopped giving the free pierside tests, but many still are and charging a fortune for a $2 test claiming it's a legal requirement. It isn't. Those that are and making the claim "it's not us - they are making us do it", are making a fortune based on misinformation. Some could describe that as fraud!

Having just shelled out £158 for 2 same day PCR tests based on what I was told was an EU directive, I feel quite annoyed. If cruise lines want everyone to be tested before a cruise begins, that's fine, just come clean and say it's what WE want not that it's mandatory government legislation and following a legal obligation.

Edited by les37b
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, les37b said:

It is neither expressing the opinion or a requirement of the EU

it is used by eu member states to formulate their rules & guidance

also accepted by clia & most cruise lines to base their protocols & advise crew & passengers when in europe - saves constant checks with every country & port

viking is not a clia member

• Thanks 1

I have gone back and forth about posting this but since it is about testing.........I just spoke with my rep and if you can believe this......she told me they WILL be doing testing for my cruise pier side😲. They must have received a lot of blow back.......but, big BUT....I am still having my test done at my hotel. Who knows, by the time Monday gets here they may change it back to no test pier side😲

8 hours ago, Lois R said:

I have gone back and forth about posting this but since it is about testing.........I just spoke with my rep and if you can believe this......she told me they WILL be doing testing for my cruise pier side😲. They must have received a lot of blow back.......but, big BUT....I am still having my test done at my hotel. Who knows, by the time Monday gets here they may change it back to no test pier side😲

I am so sorry you have to deal with these constant communication issues. Having read your posts I know you are a glass half full person and you will have a good time once you get onboard. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have been hesitant to post because I'm not sure anyone can know this for a fact, but will SS really deny boarding just for the sake of not having a rapid antigen (AKA lateral flow) test?

Or will they actually test pier side?

Or direct the pax to a (hopefully nearby) pharmacy for a test? (Would they then miss the bus to Fusina??)

Does anyone have any facts about this?

Or can anyone try and find out once they are on board? Lois, if it's not a hassle, do you think you could try and find out?

I am boarding the Dawn in Venice next month and am intending to try to get a test in Venice as I fly in a few days early but I am increasingly anxious about it all! 

I think you are right to be anxious, we board the Spirit on Friday and are having a PCR test tomorrow to be on the safe side. We finally received our paperwork for the cruise and it says quite clearly you will be denied boarding if you do not have the correct tests.

Now, whether they carry out that threat is another matter, so far as far as I know no one has reported on Cruise Critic that they have been denied boarding but I wouldn't want to test it myself and be the first after travelling to Venice..

• Like 1

10 hours ago, frantic36 said:

I am so sorry you have to deal with these constant communication issues. Having read your posts I know you are a glass half full person and you will have a good time once you get onboard. 🙂

Thanks.🙂 I appreciate the kind words. I try to be positive and hopefully things will go smoothly. You know I sailed a few times already since the re-start last summer but this is the first one that seems to have gotten really funky with everything.  I fly out on Saturday and to be honest, I am just hoping all my flights depart and arrive without any issues.

• Like 2

Right then, here we go, so close.  An overnight stay in a local hotel in Manchester (UK) then a very early start, we fly at 06.00 to France then onward to Italy, so looking forward to cruising again and reporting our experience. 

• Like 1

Hello!

We had our nose tickling test this morning….negative!

Now we are on our way to Heathrow 😳Only 77 miles to go.

Our flight to Venice is 8:35 am tomorrow. Can’t believe it’s finally happening. Our friends are on the 6:15 am from Manchester to Frankfurt, a wait then on to Venice.

Safe a trouble free journey!

• Like 1