Has the possibility of being quarantined changed what books you are bringing on the cruise?

Ommadawn

I am wondering if, with the possibility of being quarantined if you test positive, people are changing what books they are bringing so that they have more to read should they need it in quarantine. Normally, I take three smaller books with me on a cruise, but this time I am thinking of throwing in a larger book as well like War and Peace or Atlas Shrugged. You know, something that will take awhile to read. House of Leaves (the full color edition) is also a really good, longer book.

What do y'all think. Are y'all bringing any larger books just in case you are quarantined? Do they deliver books from the library to you in quarantine? If so, how do you find out what books they have so that you can request certain ones? Do they have a book cart to take around to the quarantined passengers like they do in prisons? If they don't have a book cart, whom do I offer this idea to so that they implement the book cart?

I am definitely bringing The Life and Opinions of Tristam Shandy because, if I was locked up in quarantine, without anything else to read is the only way that I could ever finish it.

Does anybody else have any good suggestions for good, longer books that would be great to take just in case?

Robinson Crusoe springs to mind…I could follow the Tom Hanks version and make a towel Man Friday….

The complete works of Shakespeare….Perhaps not, too much tragedy…

Perhaps just a pack of cards and a book about the 1,001 ways to play solitaire…

• Haha 2

Absolutely took this into account

bought and loaded into kindle 3 entire author lists for my mom to reread if in Q:

all Dana Stabenow , Dick Francis and Lee Child plus a printed series list for these authors 

This in addition to 1900 other books already on my kindle account

Cruise cancellations for Covid and Quarantine concerns has affected my cruising length also but in opposite direction

i am cruising more than ever possible before as take deeply discounted shorter notice cruises on longer previously unaffordable to me itineraries

7 weeks of cruising this April and May aline

on an 18 day princess panama trip right now then a 6 day on Celebrity followed by an 8 day in Celebrity

this after a 2 week on princess circle Caribbean

May be able to do a Hawaiian cruise this fall if do an inside cabin

this would have been impossible without the pricing destruction of covid waves causing bookings to increase and decrease in rapid cycles

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ommadawn said:

I am wondering if, with the possibility of being quarantined if you test positive, people are changing what books they are bringing so that they have more to read should they need it in quarantine.

No.  I already bring lots of books with my on every cruise, thanks to my Fire and Kindle app.  In addition, I generally load my Fire with movies and TV shows.  And in addition to that, the cruise line will open up Internet access and access to the full VOD library for free.  So I think I'm good entertainment-wise if I should end up in isolation.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

@chemmo You have me spewing coffee across the room

Sorry Jim!

3 hours ago, runningtide said:

My book will have a hack saw hidden inside 🙂

I wonder if you can tunnel out…Perhaps ‘The great escape’ could be a suitable choice…

Coming back to reality I think most of us will be loading extra stuff on iPads ‘just in case’…Sort of like a talisman, if you prepare for it perhaps it will not happen…

• Like 2

4 hours ago, IWillGoAnywhere26 said:

On our last cruise I made sure to bring 2 chargers for all of our devices just in one of us tested positive and we chose to stay in separate cabins.

Oooh, good idea, hadn't thought of that 

• Like 2

I bought A Suitable Boy to read on a flight to NZ in 1998, and what a huge paperback book to lug about, I probably read 30 pages! I just found it in a pile of my books 2 weeks ago, unread, and now there is a TV series! Yay.

Now I would take audiobooks on my iPad - lots of them!!

• Like 1