Bringing soda on board

Gunther1

Unbeknownst to me, people we cruised with last weekend brought a 12 pack of soda with them on board…with no problems.

Later, I noticed another passenger with a can of soda that is not sold by HAL.  I chatted with him and he said he brought a six pack of it with him with no issue at all.

Curious: any idea of how strictly the current bring-no-soda-on-board policy is being followed ?  If not, I’m going to bring a six pack of mine next time.  Worst case scenario is that I surrender it at security.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Gunther1 said:

Unbeknownst to me, people we cruised with last weekend brought a 12 pack of soda with them on board…with no problems.

Later, I noticed another passenger with a can of soda that is not sold by HAL.  I chatted with him and he said he brought a six pack of it with him with no issue at all.

Curious: any idea of how strictly the current bring-no-soda-on-board policy is being followed ?  If not, I’m going to bring a six pack of mine next time.  Worst case scenario is that I surrender it at security.

Good thought.  Not much lost if they say no at boarding.  We usually bring a bottle of ginger ale onboard in case of rough seas.

• Like 1

I hear ya!  I'm not typically a "rule breaker" at all, but I dislike the new policy of not allowing you to bring a 12-pack of soda onboard.  The only soda I really like is Dr. Pepper which is not available on the ships. Contemplating bringing a pack with us and if Security say's no, I'm not really out much money if I have to surrender it, but if we get onboard with it I'm a happy Pepper!

Going out of Vancouver if anyone has any recent experience embarking there with soda...

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Not really sure what that's supposed to mean.🙄  Of course it's a cruise not a camping trip.  Do we seem less cruise-worthy just because we are asking about bringing soda onboard? 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, ehyup71 said:

Not really sure what that's supposed to mean.🙄  Of course it's a cruise not a camping trip.  Do we seem less cruise-worthy just because we are asking about bringing soda onboard? 

Why ask if there’s a policy in place and you’re not a rule breaker?

Edited by Wakepatrol

I didn't "ask" if there was a policy in place, I said I dislike the new policy in place.  It is a policy they just recently changed as before you were allowed to bring on board soda.  It also seems to be a policy that is not being enforced at all cruise ports.  

Why comment on a post just to make fun of or condescend to someone?  

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, ehyup71 said:

Two comments...I don't think they're condescending, but you might.

1.  We all make stupid choices...but the truly stupid brag about them.

2.  Sometimes it's better to ask for forgiveness than permission.

31 minutes ago, ehyup71 said:

Unfortunately there are many people on this board that take  great joy at doing that, and get away with it.  Some spend  hours emailing each other about how they can say things with getting posts removed. Sad really.

3 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Unfortunately there are many people on this board that take  great joy at doing that, and get away with it.  Some spend  hours emailing each other about how they can say things with getting posts removed. Sad really.

How do you know that?

• Like 5

I am late to this game...when did this policy begin?  Last time we were on HAL there was no such policy.

Nevermind...I found it.  This makes HAL seem a LOT more like Carnival.

Now I have to reevaluate our HAL preferences.

Edited by thinfool
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, thinfool said:

I am late to this game...when did this policy begin?  Last time we were on HAL there was no such policy.

Nevermind...I found it.  This makes HAL seem a LOT more like Carnival.

Now I have to reevaluate our HAL preferences.

Carnival allows you to bring a 12-pack of soda on board still actually.

I am heading on a cruise my expenses will be

1. Cruise

2. Air Fare

3. Parking At Pier (If I drive)

4. insurance 

5. Pet Sitter or Boarding of pet

6. Miscellaneous, sunscreen, medications, hat, beach cover up

7. Excursions

8. Massages

9. Specialty Restaurants 

BUT- If I’m unable to bring a 12 pack of Diet Fanta Mango

( That’s all I Can Drink)

Then i will have to reevaluate my cruise

• Haha 4

20 hours ago, ehyup71 said:

Carnival allows you to bring a 12-pack of soda on board still actually.

If bringing one’s own soda is that important, it sounds like Carnival might be a match made in heaven.

Just now, TiogaCruiser said:

If bringing one’s own soda is that important, it sounds like Carnival might be a match made in heaven.

I used to think the same thing but being recently diagnosed as a diabetic my soda choice onboard is limited to Coke Zero which I can't stand. I would be more than happy to pay HAL what they charge for 24 cans if they let me bring what I like onboard!

2 hours ago, Laminator said:

I used to think the same thing but being recently diagnosed as a diabetic my soda choice onboard is limited to Coke Zero which I can't stand. I would be more than happy to pay HAL what they charge for 24 cans if they let me bring what I like onboard!

You could drink Perrier.  I drink mostly bubly at home but hal doesn’t have it so the next best is Perrier.  I can rough it 😏for a couple weeks.  Policies likely change because people abuse it.  Remember when people used to roll n cases of wine?

18 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

You could drink Perrier.  I drink mostly bubly at home but hal doesn’t have it so the next best is Perrier.  I can rough it 😏for a couple weeks.  Policies likely change because people abuse it.  Remember when people used to roll n cases of wine?

Yes I remember the cases of wine 😥. The cruise line has made no money for 2 plus years.

Why of course they don’t want people schlepping cases of wine, water and soda aboard. They have all those things on board and will be happy to sell them to passengers and maybe make a little money. This whole schlepping cases of this and that slapping luggage tags on cases of soda was bordering on absurd for a company that’s in the money making business. Then these beverage toters  want ice every 5 minutes from their cabin stewards , yea I know they tip them a whopping $20 when they get aboard for ice every 5 minutes😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Wakepatrol said:

Yes I remember the cases of wine 😥. The cruise line has made no money for 2 plus years.

Why of course they don’t want people schlepping cases of wine, water and soda aboard. They have all those things on board and will be happy to sell them to passengers and maybe make a little money. This whole schlepping cases of this and that slapping luggage tags on cases of soda was bordering on absurd for a company that’s in the money making business. Then these beverage toters  want ice every 5 minutes from their cabin stewards , yea I know they tip them a whopping $20 when they get aboard for ice every 5 minutes😂

I used to love that “just slap a luggage tag on it”.  What would be interesting to know is how much less those poor stewards have to lug around now.  I imagine it’s substantially less.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Thanks for the recommendation but if there is one thing I hate more than Coke Zero it's Perrier. A&W cream soda and root beer are my beverage of choice. I'll have to stick with Ice Tea and water. My only saving grace may be that soda machine on the lido deck with all the flavors.