Important Covid Policy - If you Test Posive while on European Cruises between 5/1 - 11/30/2022

Jim_Iain

52 minutes ago, Babr said:

No, you can’t fly into the US with a positive test. You must present documentation to board. You have to wait until you test negative or can obtain a certificate of recovery even if local rules do not require quarantine. It is a US requirement to test negative in order to fly.

You may remain on board to quarantine. I do not know if you are allowed to disembark before the end of the cruise; but when you do, it is at your own expense. The language of the policy says they will assist in making travel arrangements to get you home. That may include housing as well as air, but the financial responsibility is yours.

We are flying back to the U.K. though and we have no restrictions here. 

• Thanks 1

On 5/5/2022 at 7:18 AM, Babr said:

The new cancellation and refund policy also eliminates any assistance for shoreside quarantine or delay if one has to wait for clearance to fly home. As long as the test for international flights into the US remains in place, people will need to be prepared for this change in Celebrity’s policy.

Travel insurance will cover it under Trip Interruption and/or Trip Delay. Those relying on credit card coverage may find they don’t have coverage for an extended stay. Even the premium cards pay only the change fee and $500 for delay caused by common carrier - not covid.

Does that apply to the chase sapphire reserve card?

6 minutes ago, catspaw1 said:

Read the T&C's carefully. It seems that many people far overestimate what credit cards truly cover. The Reserve's delay coverage is capped at $500/pp and the Cancelation/Interruption coverage only applies to prepaid nonrefundable expenses. 

3 minutes ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

Read the T&C's carefully. It seems that many people far overestimate what credit cards truly cover. The Reserve's delay coverage is capped at $500/pp and the Cancelation/Interruption coverage only applies to prepaid nonrefundable expenses. 

Thanks for the update. I had no idea so excellent info. We did not take travel insurance this trip because we are driving to the port & we not going to Europe.  Normally we use our chase CC.

Just now, catspaw1 said:

Thanks for the update. I had no idea so excellent info. We did not take travel insurance this trip because we are driving to the port & we not going to Europe.  Normally we use our chase CC.

It's the chase sapphire reserve

21 minutes ago, catspaw1 said:

I see others have responded to your question and confirmed that you have little coverage for trip delay even with the Reserve card. The principal difference with it is that it does have some medical coverage and a look-back period that would cover pre-existing conditions if stable for 60 days prior to booking.

While the cancellation coverage is generous if you can avoid the pre-existing conditions exclusion, you have scant protection if your trip is interrupted or delayed by a covid positive test.

Yup.. all very complicated.

Follow the bouncing ball!

Our plan..short cruises close to home base..we still have to secure cancellation, health and  evac ins for our Nov cruise.  Celeb ins or any ins  is not very easy for  New York state residents

3 hours ago, Babr said:

No, you can’t fly into the US with a positive test. You must present documentation to board. You have to wait until you test negative or can obtain a certificate of recovery even if local rules do not require quarantine. It is a US requirement to test negative in order to fly.

You may remain on board to quarantine. I do not know if you are allowed to disembark before the end of the cruise; but when you do, it is at your own expense. The language of the policy says they will assist in making travel arrangements to get you home. That may include housing as well as air, but the financial responsibility is yours.

They are from England!  No testing required for entry.

4 minutes ago, VitaminSea53 said:

They are from England!  No testing required for entry.

Does the airline require any kind of attestation that passengers have not tested positive for covid? I think that would be separate from the test to enter.

This is still confusing to me. We sail from Italy next week. If we test positive we can stay on the next voyage to finish out or quarantine or until we test negative and then get off of the ship and fly to wherever we are going? What if we decide to get off of the ship? Are we brought somewhere to finish quarantine? How long is that? We are flying within Europe after our cruise so don’t need a negative test to get there, so curious how this all works. 

2 hours ago, Babr said:

Does the airline require any kind of attestation that passengers have not tested positive for covid? I think that would be separate from the test to enter.

That’s the answer that I’m struggling to get. Have sent several enquiries to the airline (EasyJet) but have had conflicting answers. 
hopefully we won’t need to find out??!!

4 minutes ago, rachiem said:

That’s the answer that I’m struggling to get. Have sent several enquiries to the airline (EasyJet) but have had conflicting answers. 

It has been my experience that it is part of the check-in procedure, but I can’t say it is true for all airlines everywhere even though I expect that to be the case. It just does not seem to be good operating procedure to allow people with active infections to fly.

5 minutes ago, Babr said:

It has been my experience that it is part of the check-in procedure, but I can’t say it is true for all airlines everywhere even though I expect that to be the case. It just does not seem to be good operating procedure to allow people with active infections to fly.

Totally agree but we have know several people who have done it as there doesn't seem to be any checks. Saying that, I don't agree with doing it but have heard that people have been flown back on major airlines as part of the repatriation. 

It certainly won't put us off but it's nice to have an idea of what to expect if it does happen.

We cancelled our Caribbean cruise is Jan and moved it to Europe for these reasons so can totally empathise with the transatlantic travel worries.

5 hours ago, Babr said:

I flew today from Heathrow to Scotland and there was not questions about our health or our covid statues.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, VitaminSea53 said:

Keep in mind that when traveling by planes within the US there are no Covid questions asked.  So what is the difference in Europe?

When checking in for Delta for domestic flights, they do ask if you have, or have been exposed to, Covid in the past 10 (or maybe 14 ) days

10 hours ago, rachiem said:

If you are positive on the ship Celebrity have to follow the Italian protocols.  Therefore they tell the Italian authorities you have covid and you are placed in an approved Italian hotel for I believe 10 days.  You would not get a choice, it is Italian law.  If however you tested positive after your disembarkation it would be on your conscience as to if you were prepared to board your Easyjet flight knowing you are positive.  I assume being British you wouldn't actually need to test once you've left the ship so could happily fly with no worries.

Basically everyone travelling at present needs to make themselves aware of the country requirements where they are disembarking.  Rule of thumb: if you are positive tested onboard and quarantined once your cruise ends you are following the rules and laws of that country for if you need quarantine ashore.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Megabear2 said:

If you are positive on the ship Celebrity have to follow the Italian protocols.  Therefore they tell the Italian authorities you have covid and you are placed in an approved Italian hotel for I believe 10 days.  You would not get a choice, it is Italian law.  If however you tested positive after your disembarkation it would be on your conscience as to if you were prepared to board your Easyjet flight knowing you are positive.  I assume being British you wouldn't actually need to test once you've left the ship so could happily fly with no worries.

Basically everyone travelling at present needs to make themselves aware of the country requirements where they are disembarking.  Rule of thumb: if you are positive tested onboard and quarantined once your cruise ends you are following the rules and laws of that country for if you need quarantine ashore.

Thank you...I assume that you don't have to reset the clock with the 10 days, if you've already spent a couple of days onboard isolating.

One more reason not to cruise at the moment but we have so much FCC from cruises that we've cancelled that we, that they need to be used.

We cruised 3 times last year but that was from Southampton.

2 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

May I just check the 10 days ? My understanding, from the gov.uk website is that it is 7 days if you are fully vaccinated. I think it is 10 days if you are not vaccinated. I also understand from discussions I've seen on another board that, if you have arranged your own accomodation where you can self isolate such as an appartment or airBnN, that may be possible. I guess who knows until we hear of specific cases in Italy and what has happened to them. 

2 hours ago, rachiem said:

I assume that you don't have to reset the clock with the 10 days, if you've already spent a couple of days onboard isolating.

One more reason not to cruise at the moment but we have so much FCC from cruises that we've cancelled that we, that they need to be used.

We cruised 3 times last year but that was from Southampton.

Before leaving the ship the doctor delivered a  letter specifying how may day I had isolated on the ship including the exact time I tested positive.   I was both signed by the doctor and had a Celebrity Stamp on it.

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, mimlypops said:

May I just check the 10 days ? My understanding, from the gov.uk website is that it is 7 days if you are fully vaccinated. I think it is 10 days if you are not vaccinated. I also understand from discussions I've seen on another board that, if you have arranged your own accomodation where you can self isolate such as an appartment or airBnN, that may be possible. I guess who knows until we hear of specific cases in Italy and what has happened to them. 

Possibly your reference is out of date.   The UK has no regulations on covid and isolation.    I was advised of this when I left the ship.   It is totally voluntary if you choose to isolate.  I personally don't agree with this.      The "Recommended" isolation period is 7 day in England and 10 days in Scotland.

Even though we tested negative we decided to rent an AirBnB in Scotland and abide by the 10 days isolation period before we socialize with family.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Possibly your reference is out of date.   The UK has no regulations on covid and isolation.    I was advised of this when I left the ship.   It is totally voluntary if you choose to isolate.  I personally don't agree with this.      The "Recommended" isolation period is 7 day in England and 10 days in Scotland.

Even though we tested negative we decided to rent an AirBnB in Scotland and abide by the 10 days isolation period before we socialize with family.

Sorry, think we have crossed lines. I am from UK (hence my reference to the gov.uk website advice on overseas travel) but my post was referring to Italy not UK

2 hours ago, mimlypops said:

Sorry, think we have crossed lines. I am from UK (hence my reference to the gov.uk website advice on overseas travel) but my post was referring to Italy not UK

Thanks for the clarity. 

40 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Jim, 

Since 1st May it’s recommended  5 days isolation in Scotland and 3 days isolation for under 18s. Only guidance, no legal requirement. Everyone has their own comfort zone with this. Enjoy your time in Ayrshire.

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

Before leaving the ship the doctor delivered a  letter specifying how may day I had isolated on the ship including the exact time I tested positive.   I was both signed by the doctor and had a Celebrity Stamp on it.

Thank you, that's good to know