Drink Package tipping

xyankee

Leaving on a Princess cruise in 8 days. We have the Drink Package. Do you tip the bartenders and waiters when you receive your drinks. If you tip, cash or charge to your room?

Edited by xyankee

11 minutes ago, xyankee said:

Leaving on a Princess cruise in 8 days. We have the Drink Package. Do you tip the bartenders and waiters when you receive your drinks. If you tip, cash or charge to your room?

You don't tip at all. The 18% tip is included in your PP package.

• Like 3

We'll tip a bartender(s) that's been particularly attentive throughout the cruise at the end with cash. 

Any that serve me the awful "Chateau De Gangway" champagne that cruise lines like to palm off instead of the proper stuff won't get a tip!

Have plus package.

had room service with food & drinks for two people. Gave cash tip.

it is your choice to tip or not to tip.

Where  else can you eat & drink this reasonably on a vacation?…MY opinion.

Only disappointment were canapés.

chocolate covered strawberries were great.

• Like 4

Tip if drinks are delivered to your cabin. Don't tip when in bars or anywhere else on ship.We had the drink package. However, last cruise for two weeks we went to Elite lounge every night before dinner. Had the same server. At the end of our cruise, we did tip her and so did our friends.

Always tipped room service for anything they delivered.

Edited by san diego sue

⁰We tip a few dollars for room service and/or drinks delivered to our room as my understanding is those crew are not getting anything extra from the tip pool for hustling all over the ship, and not having to leave my cabin when I am enjoying my ocean view is worth a couple of bucks to me.

If I go to the bar and get the drinks 🍸 we tip a buck or two maybe every other round if service is prompt and they remember what we like.  If one particular bartender/server gives us great service during the cruise, we do usually give an additional tip at the end.

Compared to what we spend on the cruise, these are small amounts and this is what feels right to me but I understand that not everyone feels the same.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Coffeehound510 said:

If I go to the bar and get the drinks 🍸 we tip a buck or two maybe every other round

So, you walk to the bar, ask for a drink, and it is given to you, and you then leave a tip ?

Just why ?

5 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Just why ?

Some Americans just tip. Tipping is not so much part of the culture in the UK, but you will find diverse feelings about tipping, varying among regions and cultures in the US.

True or not, it's in people's mindset that the mass market cruise lines pay low wages to keep their fares low, then add auto deduction of "Crew Appreciation." True though, it is tipping on top of a tip. But it's not like they're someplace like Singapore where people get insulted if tipped or the tipper accused of bribery. I'm sure the servers are happy to receive extra, but not necessary.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wowzz said:

So, you walk to the bar, ask for a drink, and it is given to you, and you then leave a tip ?

Just why ?

If the service is prompt and they remember what we like i.e. my mom likes her drinks extra sweet so extra simple syrup.  It's worth it to me to be able to order the drink once, take it back to our seats and know my mom is going to enjoy it,  instead of having to send it back and wait. I like it when staff makes the effort to remember what I like, and I think that extra effort is worth a dollar or two every couple of rounds.  

• Like 1

23 hours ago, san diego sue said:

Tip if drinks are delivered to your cabin. Don't tip when in bars or anywhere else on ship.We had the drink package. However, last cruise for two weeks we went to Elite lounge every night before dinner. Had the same server. At the end of our cruise, we did tip her and so did our friends.

Always tipped room service for anything they delivered.

In the past we don't normally go to the Elite lounge but on our last trip we did for the first 6 or 7 days until we gave up. The place was never crowded as I remember it.

I'm just curious but as I remember it from 2 years ago the food was definitely  much better. This past trip there was nothing that really made it stand out as being a special item.😒

Maybe it was because most people had the drink package?? 

We always tip on the ship.  It’s not expected and as others have said, your tip is already included in the drink package. But it is 18%, and that’s below what we always give. It’s really not a lot of money and it says to them “we appreciate you”. It’s totally a personal decision.

We don't generally take drink packages. First my husband doesn't drink and we both need to take the package, second until lately my lattes were not included. We did get a soda card and coffee card each cruise. We would also tip extra at the end of the cruise to those who made us happy. I like coming across the pool deck and the bar tender has my husbands soda ready and correct diet no ice and a slice of lime. Early each day I get my treat a large to go latte, nice when he or she sees me they just make it and by the time I get to the counter they are ready to punch my card (you can tell it's been a while) 😊. Just like them to know we appreciated them.