Seabourn no longer doing covid test for passengers returning to US from Vancouver

wesport

5 hours ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

I was just going to make that same point.  Rent a car, drive to Seattle, and fly home!

If you plan to rent a car, reserve it now.  When we got stranded in the Vancouver airport several years ago--there were no rental cars available--and that was before recent shortages.  

So I have cancelled my Seabourn excursion of Vancouver and scheduled a test at the convention center. My flight to SEA is at 5:30pm, so will have enough time. If I am able to do the proctor test the day before, I will , but if it does not work over the ship internet, I have a backup plan. I guess I will not do a Seabourn excursion on the day before, so Seabourn is losing out on my spending close to $300 on excursions.

I'm wondering if anyone — particularly folks on the Odyssey now — have been able to find out from officers in the know why Seabourn isn't offering testing prior to disembarkation.

Seabourn has been doing end-of-cruise testing on the Odyssey for nearly a year now, so it's obviously not something they can't handle. Even if they decided to charge customers rather than doing it for free, most people would be happy to pay rather than to have the stress of trying to figure out a way to get tested on their own. So if Seabourn has the staff and technology to do it, and if they could do it at no cost to the company by charging passengers who need such a test, why aren't they offering it? It just seems strange to pull the plug on this service customers need in order to get home from a cruise. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, cruiseej said:

I'm wondering if anyone — particularly folks on the Odyssey now — have been able to find out from officers in the know why Seabourn isn't offering testing prior to disembarkation.

Seabourn has been doing end-of-cruise testing on the Odyssey for nearly a year now, so it's obviously not something they can't handle. Even if they decided to charge customers rather than doing it for free, most people would be happy to pay rather than to have the stress of trying to figure out a way to get tested on their own. So if Seabourn has the staff and technology to do it, and if they could do it at no cost to the company by charging passengers who need such a test, why aren't they offering it? It just seems strange to pull the plug on this service customers need in order to get home from a cruise. 

I asked at Seabourn Square this morning.  We can get a Covid test on board before disembarking in Vancouver if it is required to travel back to our home — in my case the US. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, wingit said:

I asked at Seabourn Square this morning.  We can get a Covid test on board before disembarking in Vancouver if it is required to travel back to our home — in my case the US. 

Were you previously notified that they would not, and this is back-tracking since the announcement came after you were on board?  Or was the new policy to start on a later segment?

10 minutes ago, SusieQft said:

Were you previously notified that they would not, and this is back-tracking since the announcement came after you were on board?  Or was the new policy to start on a later segment?

No we were not notified that they wouldn’t do the test.  I got on board in Miami with the expectation that they would provide the test and that is still the case today.  I wouldn’t have considered asking about it if it were not for the statements made on this board.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cruiseej said:

I believe if Seabourn does the test and if the test is (+), then Seabourn would be responsible for paying for the quarantine.  This new policy effectively shifts the responsibility to the passenger. 

Seabourn had promised currently booked passengers that they would do the test (and do it without charge), but they have now unilaterally changed the contract.  It's a breach of contract and, furthermore, a poor way of doing business.  I guess their "Worry Free Promise" program actually isn't meant for the passengers to be worry free, but for Seabourn to be worry free. 

As others have stated, we are also former Crystal cruisers, and this introduction to Seabourn leaves much to be desired. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, skybluewaters said:

I believe if Seabourn does the test and if the test is (+), then Seabourn would be responsible for paying for the quarantine.  This new policy effectively shifts the responsibility to the passenger. 

Interesting point. So perhaps they should offer the test to anyone who wants one — either at their cost or charging the passenger — and they could state that if someone tests positive at the end of a cruise, the cruise line will not be responsible for any costs associated with hotel stays or changes in air flights. 

At the beginning of the resumption of cruising last summer, it seems all the cruise lines took on the expense of putting g customers in hotels and paying for their air travel changes, in addition to giving them cruise credit for all or the part of the cruise they missed in quarantine. They needed to do that to give customers confidence in traveling and cruising. As we move into a time where Covid will continue to be with us as travel normalizes, perhaps it's time to change those rules. For instance, it makes sense that some cruise lines now say you must get a negative test result before leaving home/traveling to the port, to reduce the chances of someone showing up at the pier and then testing positive. Why should the cruise line be responsible for all the costs of hotel quarantine and rebooked air if someone tests positive when they disembark; couldn't that responsibility be on the customer — or more likely, their travel insurance? For 99%+ of passengers, this would allow them to be tested on the ship before flying home; for the <1% who test positive, nothing would change except that they'd rely on their travel insurance rather than the cruise line for any added expenses. Could that fly?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

And did you bother to check what would be involved in making a change from YVR to SEA?  Or just accepting that it is locked in stone?

Yes, I did. There isn’t a flight available on any airline from Seattle to San Francisco that day. It happens to be a three day holiday weekend. Also, the mandate could change between now and then.

1 hour ago, skybluewaters said:

Seabourn had promised currently booked passengers that they would do the test (and do it without charge), but they have now unilaterally changed the contract.  It's a breach of contract and, furthermore, a poor way of doing business.  I guess their "Worry Free Promise" program actually isn't meant for the passengers to be worry free, but for Seabourn to be worry free. 

As others have stated, we are also former Crystal cruisers, and this introduction to Seabourn leaves much to be desired. 

And of course perfect Crystal would have handled it different with the rules changing each day with different rules for entering different ports.   I wonder how any cruise line can keep up with the latest daily covid conditions let alone weeks in advance?

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Thecat123 said:

And of course perfect Crystal would have handled it different with the rules changing each day with different rules for entering different ports.   I wonder how any cruise line can keep up with the latest daily covid conditions let alone weeks in advance?

@Thecat123agree with your comments.    We all have memories of those perfect pre Covid cruises. They have been finely honed during these years of longing for their return.  Those cruises rarely exist now. Our domestic businesses are struggling to find workers. Imagine how hard it is if you are an international company looking for temporary resources.  I approach every trip with lowered expectations and have back up plans.  I hope that in time Seabourn and Silversea will return to their previous high standards.

@skybluewaters policy subject to change is not a contract.  But I'm sure there are lawyers here that can speak that and correct me if I am wrong.. Perhaps someone has a screenshot of what the policy was months ago, but  the current Seabourn policy from their website is:

RE-ENTRY TEST
If a negative COVID-19 test is required for re-entry into your home country, Seabourn will cover the costs of a COVID-19 test.

13 hours ago, Gray Lady said:

Yes, I did. There isn’t a flight available on any airline from Seattle to San Francisco that day. It happens to be a three day holiday weekend. Also, the mandate could change between now and then.

Give me a date...I'll find you a seat.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, skybluewaters said:

We met more then a few “ Crystal Refugees” on our recent 27 day Ovation cruise and heard a fair number of complaints regarding the comparison to SB.  We finally suggested to one party that perhaps they should go back on Crystal.  The reality is that most of these folks got a very nice discount from SB (enough to pay for hundreds of COVID tests) which was something not offered to regular SB cruisers.  We also have previously cruised on Crystal, enjoyed the experience, but found that we preferred SB for a multitude of reasons.

Folks that travel (we are currently driving in the Czech Republic) or cruise need to start dealing with COVID like any other disease and stop expecting mommy (cruise lines) to take on all the responsibility.  Your comments are a bit harsh since the “SB” promise never promised post debarkation testing.  The policy did offer some guarantees if a person happened to get COVID immediately before or during a cruise.   On our cruise there were more than a few COVID cases and those folks seemed to be cared for by SB.

Hank

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

Give me a date...I'll find you a seat.

We dock at 7 AM July 3rd in Vancouver. There are two of us. Southwest had flights for $394 each later in the day. That is more than our testing would be. We fly out right now of Vancouver at 12:35.

15 hours ago, Gray Lady said:

1 hour ago, Gray Lady said:

We dock at 7 AM July 3rd in Vancouver. There are two of us. Southwest had flights for $394 each later in the day. That is more than our testing would be. We fly out right now of Vancouver at 12:35.

So, which is it?

And FWIW, there are non-stops on AS and DL in the afternoon from SEA, both pricing less than WN.  And there are also plenty of connections that would get you from SEA to SFO.

Perhaps you meant to say "there isn't a flight we like".  Which is very very different (though less hyperbolic).

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Gray Lady said:

You can purchase proctored self kits for about $70 (2 tests).  You simply buy them for delivery to your home and take them on the cruise.  Since ship Internet is not reliable it is probably best to do the tests the morning you dock using land based cell or Wi-Fi.  You will have your results in a few minutes.

Hank

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

You can purchase proctored self kits for about $70 (2 tests).  You simply buy them for delivery to your home and take them on the cruise.  Since ship Internet is not reliable it is probably best to do the tests the morning you dock using land based cell or Wi-Fi.  You will have your results in a few minutes.

Hank

Thank you, Hank. This is all new to us, so we are trying to get our ducks in a row before we go.

4 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

So, which is it?

And FWIW, there are non-stops on AS and DL in the afternoon from SEA, both pricing less than WN.  And there are also plenty of connections that would get you from SEA to SFO.

Perhaps you meant to say "there isn't a flight we like".  Which is very very different (though less hyperbolic).

I do not pretend to know anything about booking flights before and after a cruise. In fact, this is our first time cruising, so everything is new to us! It isn’t taking the COVID test that is troubling, it is the timing of everything before we fly out. When you haven’t disembarked, let alone embarked, on a ship; traveled to an airport that is totally unfamiliar in a foreign country (even friendly Canada); have the added layer of time constraints and the negative test, then it is harder to navigate. 
if we can get to Seattle and then take a flight home for less than $550 for two, then it is cost effective. If not, then we just deal with Vancouver.

I am sorry you think that I am being picky. I am just not proficient and uninformed on these things. We don’t want to create new chaos for ourselves.

6 hours ago, Hlitner said:

We met more then a few “ Crystal Refugees” on our recent 27 day Ovation cruise and heard a fair number of complaints regarding the comparison to SB.  We finally suggested to one party that perhaps they should go back on Crystal.  The reality is that most of these folks got a very nice discount from SB (enough to pay for hundreds of COVID tests) which was something not offered to regular SB cruisers...

I would encourage Seabourn newbies to sail with an open mind and heart.  Instead of going on board expecting and demanding everything to be how they used to like it on other lines, it would behoove them to take the time to observe and ask and find out how things operate on Seabourn.

We were on the same Ovation cruise in March, followed by the transatlantic crossing.  On the first segment, the staff had to contend with a lot of unusual demands by some of the new guests who wanted everything their way from Day One.  In fact, I overheard guests who complained daily about various inconsequential issues just because they didn't fit what they had been used to on another line.  One couple dined (and ordered a full dinner) at all the dining venues every night.  Another lady complained incessantly about an issue and wouldn't give up until she threatened legal action and got her way, i.e. monetary compensation.  (BTW, the issue was something that we and other friends have encountered on occasion, but we would never dream of asking for compensation, let alone threaten to sue.)

Please do not misconstrue the above:  I am not minimizing or denying the pain and suffering of those who had to try Seabourn for the first time.  However, I challenge anyone to find the perfect line who would deliver the perfect service the very first time based on their exact likings, unless they own or charter their own yacht and/or have had a chance to express their exact desires in advance to all the necessary staff.

The reality is that Seabourn delivers an impossibly high level of service and aims to please.  However, there are differences, and it's often not a black and white matter of better or worse.  As good as Seabourn is, it doesn't and cannot always read minds and it doesn't know your expectations until you make them known, preferably in advance.

BTW, on the topic of "dining course by course in the privacy of your own suite", I, too, have noticed and been intrigued by this marketing copy but have never indulged for dinner.  With the two of us, we tend to eat fairly quickly, and it doesn't make sense for us to keep calling room service every 5 minutes for the next course to be delivered.  All the hassle, the fuss, the labour...  So for us, it sounds interesting and lovely in concept but not in practice.

Having said that, we have been invited on a couple of occasions by another couple to their fancy suite for private dinners, and those had been very well executed.  The other couples contacted guest services and consulted with the F&B manager in advance (24 hour would suffice) regarding menus, service timing and pacing, wine pairing, etc., and we would get a dedicated server during most of the dinner.  Nobody would think of calling down to room service at a moment's notice to arrange or a course-by-course dinner the same evening.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Hlitner said:

We met more then a few “ Crystal Refugees” on our recent 27 day Ovation cruise and heard a fair number of complaints regarding the comparison to SB.  We finally suggested to one party that perhaps they should go back on Crystal

Love that comment that they should go back to Crystal 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sfvoyage said:

I am not minimizing or denying the pain and suffering of those who had to try Seabourn for the first time

Different? I'm sure. A less-positive experience? Okay. "Pain and suffering" for trying Seabourn? Yikes! Unless someone was held in the brig and restricted to bread (and not the good bread) and water, I can't imagine it has been that bad for anyone. 😉

21 hours ago, Thecat123 said:

Wow.  Quite a leap for you to assume that just because I previously sailed on Crystal that I was implying that Crystal would have done things differently.  Go back and read my comment.  I mentioned that I was previously cruising on Crystal to make the point that a new would-be passenger to Seabourn might not be impressed by this recent change of terms.  If I had previously sailed on Princess or HAL, I would still have the same opinion that changing the terms after accepting a deposit is not customer-friendly.  Is it "legal?"  Maybe...but that's not the high bar of excellence that a luxury line should aspire to.

I believe a reasonable solution would be for Seabourn to initiate this change for all new bookings and to still provide pre-disembarkation tests for existing bookings.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, skybluewaters said:

Wow.  Quite a leap for you to assume that just because I previously sailed on Crystal that I was implying that Crystal would have done things differently.  Go back and read my comment.  I mentioned that I was previously cruising on Crystal to make the point that a new would-be passenger to Seabourn might not be impressed by this recent change of terms.

Hi Leo,

Fully concur.

There seems to be quite a few folks on this board that have been very vocal about their feelings towards us past crystal passengers.  I can’t wait for my first seabourn cruise, enjoying a new experience and hope the past seabourn passengers we will meet on board will be welcoming and less judgemental.

Nancy

• Like 3

1 hour ago, nancygp said:

I can’t wait for my first seabourn cruise, enjoying a new experience and hope the past seabourn passengers we will meet on board will be welcoming and less judgemental.

Hope you have a great first-time experience.  The good news is we’ve seen a decent amount of overlap between Seabourn and Crystal passengers, so likely you’ll be sailing with people you’ve been with before.  They are not two different tribes, more like different parts of a large family.  One set of cousins who love Portuguese Tarts, another who prefer their 24/7 caviar 🙂

And many who like both!

Edited by johng75370
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2