On Harmony now, wife got Covid!

So we’re sailing along, hit up Coco Cay, Nassau, sea day yesterday. Sitting at the comedy club at 11pm, wife leans over to me and says, “I’m going to the doctor”. Granted she had been battling a minor cold for a couple days, I had just gotten over a sinus infection, was put on z-pack on Thursday last week so finished on board, always had a negative test. We both tested negative on Friday morning.  
I finish up the comedy show, back to the room, she’s still down in medical waiting 45 minutes for a pcr test. Comes back positive. They put her in “the red zone” and I had to pack her stuff and a staff member picked it up from me at about 12:30am. 

Since we were already on the back end of the trip, Royal will not fly us home from Haiti (docked in Labadee today). Only options were to have her stay in a hotel in Florida to finish her 5 day quarantine or rent a car and drive back up north, we decided on the latter. Had to cancel flights, book a rental car, cancel transportation etc. 

Royal is giving us private transportation to MCO and reimbursing up to $150/day for the rental, $250/night in hotel and $100pp/pd for food. 
That’s the good news. Bad news is they’re treating her like a dog, coffee in a cardboard soup container, and crappy food from room service. Asked for tea in a mental carafe and a mug, they said that’s not protocol. She still hasn’t gotten her tea an hour later!!!! Fuming and beyond pissed at how they are handling the situation, they need to be doing better, we think there is a major outbreak on this ship!  Good news, I tested negative so I’m free to roam the ship but couldn’t get off in Labadee today. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, YankeesFan4Life said:

we think there is a major outbreak on this ship!

Sorry to hear about your wife and hope she recovers quickly.

What makes you think there's a "major outbreak"?

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

Sorry to hear about your wife and hope she recovers quickly.

What makes you think there's a "major outbreak"?

Good question!  Hopefully he replies soon.

I am surprised to hear they are compensating you for travel home as their website says they were no longer going to pay for quarantine or travel expenses for positive cases as of April 30th. 

Yes, it is protocol for everyone in the red zone to be served with disposable cups plates plasticware etc.     They will not provide glasses, mugs, silverware, etc    the goal is to have the least amount of crew touch anything that has been handled by a covid positive person so they have probably provided her with trash bag and red hazmat bag and they will leave her room service outside in the hallway to avoid entering her cabin.           

They have had a whole process in plan for the "red zone" that was approved by the CDC.   

I hope your Wife feels better soon.     

Edited by Sunshine3601
  • Like 13

41 minutes ago, YankeesFan4Life said:

So we’re sailing along, hit up Coco Cay, Nassau, sea day yesterday. Sitting at the comedy club at 11pm, wife leans over to me and says, “I’m going to the doctor”. Granted she had been battling a minor cold for a couple days, I had just gotten over a sinus infection, was put on z-pack on Thursday last week so finished on board, always had a negative test. We both tested negative on Friday morning.  
I finish up the comedy show, back to the room, she’s still down in medical waiting 45 minutes for a pcr test. Comes back positive. They put her in “the red zone” and I had to pack her stuff and a staff member picked it up from me at about 12:30am. 

Since we were already on the back end of the trip, Royal will not fly us home from Haiti (docked in Labadee today). Only options were to have her stay in a hotel in Florida to finish her 5 day quarantine or rent a car and drive back up north, we decided on the latter. Had to cancel flights, book a rental car, cancel transportation etc. 

Royal is giving us private transportation to MCO and reimbursing up to $150/day for the rental, $250/night in hotel and $100pp/pd for food. 
That’s the good news. Bad news is they’re treating her like a dog, coffee in a cardboard soup container, and crappy food from room service. Asked for tea in a mental carafe and a mug, they said that’s not protocol. She still hasn’t gotten her tea an hour later!!!! Fuming and beyond pissed at how they are handling the situation, they need to be doing better, we think there is a major outbreak on this ship!  Good news, I tested negative so I’m free to roam the ship but couldn’t get off in Labadee today. 

Im very surprised they are letting you roam around the ship. As a close contact, I would think they would restrict your movement. 

Edited by jerseygirl3
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, cajunfla said:

Good question!  Hopefully he replies soon.

Without being rude or insensitive, I didn't primarily ask b/c I fear there is actually a "major outbreak".

I'll leave it at that.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I am surprised to hear they are compensating you for travel home as their website says they were no longer going to pay for quarantine or travel expenses for positive cases as of April 30th. 

Yes, it is protocol for everyone in the red zone to be served with disposable cups plates plasticware etc.     They will not provide glasses, mugs, silverware, etc    the goal is to have the least amount of crew touch anything that has been handled by a covid positive person so they have probably provided her with trash bag and red hazmat bag and they will leave her room service outside in the hallway to avoid entering her cabin.           

They have had a whole process in plan for the "red zone" that was approved by the CDC.   

They have been, one on my Cruise couple wks ago got it. Also couple cases reported on CC in April

Just now, ONECRUISER said:

They have been, one on my Cruise couple wks ago got it. Also couple cases reported on CC in April

Did you miss the "as of April 30th" part?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, jerseygirl3 said:

I would  bet your "sinus infection" was probably Covid and you had a low enough viral load to test negative. Werr your tests PCR or antigen? 

Had 4 antigen and a pcr tests between last Tuesday and Friday. All negative. 

in response to my “possible outbreak” concern, the crew all started wearing N95’s on Tuesday and we went from Yellow to Orange status. 

in regards to me roaming the ship, they said as long as I’m negative, no reason for me to quarantine. I am wearing my mask in public places per their instructions. Will not be going to MDR as to not have close contact. Although we did have dinner in Izumi last night about 12’ away from Captain Johnny!  Hope he’s ok!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jerseygirl3 said:

Im very surprised they are letting uou toam around the ship. As a vlose contact, I would think they would restrict your movement. 

If the close contact tests negative they are permitted to continue on with their cruise     They used to close contacts stay in their cabin for 24 hours then test again.    Maybe this is why he wasn't allowed to get off ship to go to Labadee    

10 minutes ago, ONECRUISER said:

Yes, but their website says they were stopping that as of April 30th.    It is nice to hear they are still taking care of people but they cannot do that forever as this virus isn't going away anytime soon   

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, YankeesFan4Life said:

Had 4 antigen and a pcr tests between last Tuesday and Friday. All negative. 

in response to my “possible outbreak” concern, the crew all started wearing N95’s on Tuesday and we went from Yellow to Orange status. 

in regards to me roaming the ship, they said as long as I’m negative, no reason for me to quarantine. I am wearing my mask in public places per their instructions. Will not be going to MDR as to not have close contact. Although we did have dinner in Izumi last night about 12’ away from Captain Johnny!  Hope he’s ok!

We sailed a b2b on a ship that was "orange" for several weeks I am not sure what the threshold of positive cases is turn orange.   I see OSCS Mike has answered that question.     Thank you!

Were the crew wearing regular medical masks prior to Tuesday?    My last couple of sailings they all had on black masks I think were KN95's 

At least you are at the end of your sailing so your wife's quarantine won't last long.     they usually give free wifi and free on demand movies to help let the time go by.    

Edited by Sunshine3601
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Ridiculous protocol, we are putting Covid patients on a regular ward with everyone else now, and they get treated and served the same as anyone else. 

Edited by not-enough-cruising
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 2

I’m curious how you were allowed to even board with an active sinus infection that was just treated before boarding.  Doesn’t the health survey ask about recent symptoms like that?   And if so,

I thought that meant people were automatically denied boarding.  That has been my biggest worry for upcoming cruises.  

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, topnole said:

I’m curious how you were allowed to even board with an active sinus infection that was just treated before boarding.  Doesn’t the health survey ask about recent symptoms like that?   And if so,

I thought that meant people were automatically denied boarding.  That has been my biggest worry for upcoming cruises.  

I don’t see sinus infection anywhere on the health questionnaire 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

I don’t see sinus infection anywhere on the health questionnaire 

I haven’t done one yet.  I thought it asked

if you’ve had any symptoms such as congestion in the past 10 days or whatever its says.  Sinus infections aren’t exactly verified via testing as far as I know.  They are generally a guess by the doctor right?   So if you have symptoms bad enough to go to a doctor and need medicine, isn’t that something the survey is generally asking about?   Again, I haven’t done the Covid era health surveys yet.  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, YankeesFan4Life said:

Sorry to hear about your situation but at least you’re doing the right stuff and will be home soon. Best wishes.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, topnole said:

I haven’t done one yet.  I thought it asked

if you’ve had any symptoms such as congestion in the past 10 days or whatever its says.  Sinus infections aren’t exactly verified via testing as far as I know.  They are generally a guess by the doctor right?   So if you have symptoms bad enough to go to a doctor and need medicine, isn’t that something the survey is generally asking about?   Again, I haven’t done the Covid era health surveys yet.  

I have congestion from allergies for which I take medication.  I don't feel I should answer Yes because I happen to be allergic to pecan trees.  The other questions relate to fatigue, nausea, headaches, etc.  I take chemo and that is my day.  The questions are pretty vague and don't take into account other health issues causing the same symptoms.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sunshine3601 said:

The website has not been updated. They have extended that until Sept. 30, 2022

• Like 5
  • Thanks 7

1 hour ago, Sunshine3601 said:

If the close contact tests negative they are permitted to continue on with their cruise     They used to close contacts stay in their cabin for 24 hours then test again.    Maybe this is why he wasn't allowed to get off ship to go to Labadee    

Yes, but their website says they were stopping that as of April 30th.    It is nice to hear they are still taking care of people but they cannot do that forever as this virus isn't going away anytime soon   

OK, my Cruise ended April 29