On Harmony now, wife got Covid!

8 minutes ago, Yorkvillain said:

That is a world class soup container analysis right there. 

It was 100% correct though on all counts. Probably a lawyer. Dealt with a spilt hot coffee case and sued StarBucks !

Edited by Jimbo
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, JupiterTwo said:

Coffee cups have a smaller diameter that fits the mouth better; soup containers have a wider diameter and may spill out the sides of your mouth.

That's why martini glasses are shaped the way they are...to encourage sipping and discourage gulping.🍸

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Yorkvillain said:

That is a world class soup container analysis right there. 

Guess it depends on the soup container. You can see two coffee cups in the background. These aren't that much wider, not like they are bowls.

You know, it is often called a 'cup of soup'😉

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

That's why martini glasses are shaped the way they are...to encourage sipping and discourage gulping.🍸

Don't forget preventing heat transfer from your hand. That might be more important since they don't use ice cubes

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, JupiterTwo said:

My 2 cents on the soup containers:

Coffee cups are tall and deep; soup containers are wide and shallow.

Coffee cups have a smaller diameter that fits the mouth better; soup containers have a wider diameter and may spill out the sides of your mouth.

Coffee cups can be easily held with one hand when drinking; soup containers will likely need both hands to hold it steady while drinking.

Coffee cups can be tilted at a steeper angle when drinking; soup containers will spill out the sides of the mouth if tilted too much.

Coffee cups may have better insulated sides, as they are intended to be held; soup containers will not be insulated because a soup spoon is expected to be used.

Coffee cups may have drinking lids; soup containers will have sealed lids.

Very thorough assessment. 

Seriously though, have you ever had a ROYAL soup container?

Have you ever drank from a big coffee mug?

Do you have ridiculously small hands🤔🤣🤣

FWIW, I kinda like using two hands to hold a coffee. Very soothing

Other than a secondary sleeve, which are often rare, Royal coffee cups are not insulated

Cardboard lids are more in line with Save the Waves

Common practice in the DL to pour your coffee from a paper cup into a travel mug. You could easily transfer once it arrives. Maybe the soup containers travel better. They look larger, yes, just means more Joe.😁

BTW, this post is just for fun

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JupiterTwo said:

My 2 cents on the soup containers:

Coffee cups are tall and deep; soup containers are wide and shallow.

Coffee cups can be easily held with one hand when drinking; soup containers will likely need both hands to hold it steady while drinking.

Coffee cups can be tilted at a steeper angle when drinking; soup containers will spill out the sides of the mouth if tilted too much.

Coffee cups may have better insulated sides, as they are intended to be held; soup containers will not be insulated because a soup spoon is expected to be used.

Coffee cups may have drinking lids; soup containers will have sealed lids.

Also “soup” containers hold more, so one gets more coffee in one delivery.   Just pour coffee from larger delivery containers into smaller coffee cup.  Recap larger container. Add cream and sugar if desired.  Stir.  Drink coffee.  Repeat if desired.  Really this is not so difficult.  If this is one of the greatest hardships of her quarantine, she did just fine.  Safe travels home to nj

• Like 6

24 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

Also “soup” containers hold more, so one gets more coffee in one delivery.   Just pour coffee from larger delivery containers into smaller coffee cup.  Recap larger container. Add cream and sugar if desired.  Stir.  Drink coffee.  Repeat if desired.  Really this is not so difficult.  If this is one of the greatest hardships of her quarantine, she did just fine.  Safe travels home to nj

Yes, possibly 16 oz vs 12 oz if I was guessing

Found this online from a restaurant supply store.

Soup container

Screenshot_20220508-162519_Chrome.jpg.c95c05a4568fa00cd1bdeabbf4d15377.jpg

Coffee cup

Screenshot_20220508-162620_Chrome.jpg.654d1985e72cb92b90dab8f252b0781b.jpg

And now I'm tempted to bring a tape measure on Mariner next month. Plus find out how I can secure a tea kettle without asking WJ mgr. Guess I'm on the hook for a 'Live'🤣🤣

Or we could just ask this guy

Screenshot_20220507-191418_Google.thumb.jpg.1ff79e5f378c736a65b993b20bbd5fab.jpg

FWIW, these are the 3 styles of coffee mugs I use on a daily basis. All are between 3 7/8 and 4 inches wide. Fairly vertical in their sides.

20220508_163721.thumb.jpg.ed4a529e6c2049594aebad2ff6720721.jpg

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Haha 3

I don't get the complaints about not having real plates/cups. When I'm sick, I don't care what I have. 

They do the same thing if they isolate someone to the cabin for stomach concerns. A few weeks ago my sister went to medical with sun poisoning or a stomach bug, and they isolated her. Everything from room service was in disposal fashion. 

They also delivered room service on disembarkation day. I had no idea she had ordered anything and was the only one who heard the knocks so I was confused when I answered. 

• Like 5

I hope your wife starts feeling better soon!! I also have Covid right now (at home thank goodness) but it's day 6 for me and I'm feeling almost 100% now. I'm not sure how your travel home looks but just be sure she takes her time and stays hydrated/nourished as flying after being so sick can be daunting. Hopefully your next cruise will be a totally different experience. ❤️

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John&LaLa said:

Yes, possibly 16 oz vs 12 oz if I was guessing

Found this online from a restaurant supply store.

Soup container

Screenshot_20220508-162519_Chrome.jpg.c95c05a4568fa00cd1bdeabbf4d15377.jpg

Coffee cup

Screenshot_20220508-162620_Chrome.jpg.654d1985e72cb92b90dab8f252b0781b.jpg

And now I'm tempted to bring a tape measure on Mariner next month. Plus find out how I can secure a tea kettle without asking WJ mgr. Guess I'm on the hook for a 'Live'🤣🤣

Or we could just ask this guy

Screenshot_20220507-191418_Google.thumb.jpg.1ff79e5f378c736a65b993b20bbd5fab.jpg

FWIW, these are the 3 styles of coffee mugs I use on a daily basis. All are between 3 7/8 and 4 inches wide. Fairly vertical in their sides.

20220508_163721.thumb.jpg.ed4a529e6c2049594aebad2ff6720721.jpg

Bigger soup containers are available 24 oz,  32 oz etc

On 5/6/2022 at 3:32 PM, YankeesFan4Life said:

So we’re sailing along, hit up Coco Cay, Nassau, sea day yesterday. Sitting at the comedy club at 11pm, wife leans over to me and says, “I’m going to the doctor”. Granted she had been battling a minor cold for a couple days, I had just gotten over a sinus infection, was put on z-pack on Thursday last week so finished on board, always had a negative test. We both tested negative on Friday morning.  
I finish up the comedy show, back to the room, she’s still down in medical waiting 45 minutes for a pcr test. Comes back positive. They put her in “the red zone” and I had to pack her stuff and a staff member picked it up from me at about 12:30am. 

Since we were already on the back end of the trip, Royal will not fly us home from Haiti (docked in Labadee today). Only options were to have her stay in a hotel in Florida to finish her 5 day quarantine or rent a car and drive back up north, we decided on the latter. Had to cancel flights, book a rental car, cancel transportation etc. 

Royal is giving us private transportation to MCO and reimbursing up to $150/day for the rental, $250/night in hotel and $100pp/pd for food. 
That’s the good news. Bad news is they’re treating her like a dog, coffee in a cardboard soup container, and crappy food from room service. Asked for tea in a mental carafe and a mug, they said that’s not protocol. She still hasn’t gotten her tea an hour later!!!! Fuming and beyond pissed at how they are handling the situation, they need to be doing better, we think there is a major outbreak on this ship!  Good news, I tested negative so I’m free to roam the ship but couldn’t get off in Labadee today. 

I'm sorry that this happened on the trip. Zero chance I'm spending any money while these mandates are still in play, thanks for letting us know.

• Like 2

On 5/6/2022 at 6:47 PM, Crism said:

This is exactly why you never, ever go to the doctor on a cruise ship. Even prior to the last 2 years!

100%. My mom had her gall bladder out in the "before times" and once had an attack on a cruise ship. She had to go down to the doctor to get Imodium because she forgot to bring it and they don't sell it in the shops. They wanted to quarantine her. No way. The only way I'd ever go to a ship's doctor would be if they carried my unconscious body in there. :)

• Like 4

On 5/6/2022 at 9:12 PM, cruiselvr04 said:

I can understand why people are hesitant to report to medical but I think you'd better think carefully about that.  Did you take your own test in your cabin and are negative?  You must consider your room steward even if you don't leave your cabin if you're positive.  Its a red flag if you don't leave for 3 days.  Are you out wandering around?  Really?  Just spreading it?  I might test myself first but if I'm positive I'm going to report for the sake of others including the crew.  If I'm negative I'm still going to be very careful since I have symptoms, wear a mask, social distance and if I had fever I'd stay in my cabin and retest the next day.  I would never say " Don't go to medical". 

If the room steward is vaccinated then he or she will be fine, no big. No other service industry is treating COVID like this still, only the cruise lines.

• Like 1

On 5/7/2022 at 8:32 AM, Jimbo said:

Anyone notice a trend here? when protocols get laxed on the ships.  Covid positives  cases onboard seem to go back up.

If you test everyone all the time you are going to find cases, that's how it works. The testing is a great gig for those making them.

• Like 7

On 5/7/2022 at 2:07 PM, molly361 said:

I don't follow all their protocols.  Are they mandating the pre cruise testing?  

No, everything the cruise lines are doing now they are doing voluntarily. They have a choice, they are choosing to make you go through this.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mariketa said:

If you test everyone all the time you are going to find cases, that's how it works. The testing is a great gig for those making them.

I don't think people realize that if they tested everyone for the flu they would find asymptomatic cases also.  

As for the gall bladder comment, I had an attack on a cruise in 2018, but just dealt with it as  I'd had a few others that to me seemed like gas pain.  After I got home, I found out what the issue was after an ultrasound and bloodwork and had my gall bladder removed a couple of months later.  Gall bladders/stones cause so many different symptoms that people don't realize.  It's more than just pain.  Because the Dr's onboard can't test for everything, they default to things like Noro and now Covid.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Mariketa said:

This wasn't from Royal testing everyone onboard. This is from someone on the ship feeling sick and going down to see the doctor, then those are the people being tested once they get down there.

The current issue is more and more people on the ship are now getting sick again. Most likely because some of the protocols they were doing 5  or6 weeks ago are going away, not as strict as they were, so more people are ending up sick/not feeling well on the ship.

• Like 5

On 5/6/2022 at 2:32 PM, YankeesFan4Life said:

So we’re sailing along, hit up Coco Cay, Nassau, sea day yesterday. Sitting at the comedy club at 11pm, wife leans over to me and says, “I’m going to the doctor”. Granted she had been battling a minor cold for a couple days, I had just gotten over a sinus infection, was put on z-pack on Thursday last week so finished on board, always had a negative test. We both tested negative on Friday morning.  
I finish up the comedy show, back to the room, she’s still down in medical waiting 45 minutes for a pcr test. Comes back positive. They put her in “the red zone” and I had to pack her stuff and a staff member picked it up from me at about 12:30am. 

Since we were already on the back end of the trip, Royal will not fly us home from Haiti (docked in Labadee today). Only options were to have her stay in a hotel in Florida to finish her 5 day quarantine or rent a car and drive back up north, we decided on the latter. Had to cancel flights, book a rental car, cancel transportation etc. 

Royal is giving us private transportation to MCO and reimbursing up to $150/day for the rental, $250/night in hotel and $100pp/pd for food. 
That’s the good news. Bad news is they’re treating her like a dog, coffee in a cardboard soup container, and crappy food from room service. Asked for tea in a mental carafe and a mug, they said that’s not protocol. She still hasn’t gotten her tea an hour later!!!! Fuming and beyond pissed at how they are handling the situation, they need to be doing better, we think there is a major outbreak on this ship!  Good news, I tested negative so I’m free to roam the ship but couldn’t get off in Labadee today. 

On 5/7/2022 at 12:52 PM, jljlinda said:

My wife and I are sailing on this Harmony OTS cruise (celebrating our 58th wedding anniversary) and I discovered this thread earlier today. While visiting guest services a short time ago, I ask if anyone has been diagnosed with Covid on this sailing. The answer given me was "No."  Please do not believe that I  believed his answer.  BTW, Captain "Johnny" had dinner (Lobster) in the main dining last evening at a table only a couple tables over from my wife and me.  He was dining with two female family members per our server.  Johnny noticed that I was taking a photo of him and he gave me a big wave. I think those who have sailed with Johnny will agree that he is quite an entertainer as well as a long term RCL captain!  

Given we'd be extremely easily identified, leaving out some specifics.

We just got off this sailing as well. The amount of people sick (coughing/sniffling) was incredible. It wasn't just the "dust in the air" or clearing throat coughs either, it was those wet hacking coughs. Both of us are testing positive on rapid tests as of now and both symptomatic. This was my second rapid test (different brand/vendor/etc., taken on different days) so fairly certain.

I'm also 100% certain there was at least one positive case as there was some safety quarantines done to staff while waiting PCR results after exposure to that case. To be clear, I'm not saying they're lying but at a minimum they were not fully informed 🙂

Hopefully a lot of whatever was seemingly going around was just some minor colds for most, but it wouldn't take me much to convince us there was at least a small "outbreak".

Edited by behtyas
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Jimbo said:

This wasn't from Royal testing everyone onboard. This is from someone on the ship feeling sick and going down to see the doctor, then those are the people being tested once they get down there.

The current issue is more and more people on the ship are now getting sick again. Most likely because some of the protocols they were doing 5  or6 weeks ago are going away, not as strict as they were, so more people are ending up sick/not feeling well on the ship.

Once on board, there are no protocols except for staff still required to wear a mask. 

Packed elevators, packed venues, tables inches apart in the dining room, etc. Of course, no masking for vaccinated guests. In fact, on oasis class  ships (as recently as harmony – April)  it is even worse as there are limited shows so fewer options per night for entertainment,  Guests   pile into the only show open.   Basically, except for staff masking, business as usual. 

m

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Once on board, there are no protocols except for staff still required to wear a mask. 

Packed elevators, packed venues, tables inches apart in the dining room, etc. Of course, no masking for vaccinated guests. In fact, on oasis class  ships (as recently as harmony – April)  it is even worse as there are limited shows so fewer options per night for entertainment,  Guests   pile into the only show open.   Basically, except for staff masking, business as usual. 

m

Thanks for reporting current conditions, there lies the problem then why more people are getting sick  again on each sailing.  No protocols of any kind besides the crew wearing masks.

I would expect now we will just hear of more and more cases onboard. Not a great thing when people around you are coughing and hacking all around the ship.

Feel bad for the crew too that have to now stay on these ships week after week in these working conditions. Explains why they all are still wearing masks. Royal knows there is still an issue on their ships, otherwise they would not be wearing their masks anymore.

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 6