Boarding identification question

I am currently trying to confirm boarding ID needed. My mother doesn't have a passport we are doing a 3 day cruise out of Long Beach. I just did a small one with her on NCL with her driver's license and her birth certificate and it was fine. Now I am being told for carnival that is not allowed? 

We did get her a passport but is has not as of now arrived. Any assistance would be much appreciated. 

Who is telling you it is not allowed? While I have not done it I read on this forum about people doing it on Carnival all the time. As I recall it is an option during check-in.

1 minute ago, icft said:

Who is telling you it is not allowed? While I have not done it I read on this forum about people doing it on Carnival all the time. As I recall it is an option during check-in.

So apparently they are talking about requiring an enhanced driver's license.

25 minutes ago, Kclovesken said:

I hope someone who has done it will chime in. I didn't think an enhanced driver's license was required. My understanding was that an enhanced driver's license by itself would do the trick just like a passport, but the other alternative was birth certificate and any government issued ID with a picture. From the Carnival site:

"Also acceptable for cruise travel (for cruises that begin and end in a U.S port), U.S. citizens can show proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate  issued by a government agency and accompanied by government-issued photo identification."

Carnival’s website indicates that a birth certificate and government issued photo ID is valid for transportation, and I can confirm that at the Long Beach terminal, there’s signs indicating that you need either a passport, enhanced driver’s license or birth certificate / valid government ID. 

4 hours ago, Kclovesken said:

"They" is a very nebulous term. If it is a phone rep they can only go by their script and even they are ignorant of requirements. A government issued photo ID and a birth certificate are sufficient for a US citizen on a closed loop cruise. They might have been talking about a REAL ID compliant license, but even that isn't a requirement for a closed loop cruise. (And as mentioned California does not issue EDLs, only 5 northern states do.)

• Like 3

6 hours ago, icft said:

I hope someone who has done it will chime in. I didn't think an enhanced driver's license was required. My understanding was that an enhanced driver's license by itself would do the trick just like a passport, but the other alternative was birth certificate and any government issued ID with a picture. From the Carnival site:

"Also acceptable for cruise travel (for cruises that begin and end in a U.S port), U.S. citizens can show proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate  issued by a government agency and accompanied by government-issued photo identification."

We sailed on the Miracle last month out of Long Beach with a regular driver's license and birth certificate with no problem.  Did the same out of Miami and Galveston since the restart as well.

Maybe for flying?  I know that you need either a passport or the enhanced DL to fly domestic in the US.  I just know that because we have to fly for our cruises.  Never have had a problem before we got our passports. Wife had the DL, birth cert AND marriage cert for the cruise. I had DL and birth cert and had no issues. 

7 hours ago, Kclovesken said:

I am currently trying to confirm boarding ID needed. My mother doesn't have a passport we are doing a 3 day cruise out of Long Beach. I just did a small one with her on NCL with her driver's license and her birth certificate and it was fine. Now I am being told for carnival that is not allowed? 

We did get her a passport but is has not as of now arrived. Any assistance would be much appreciated. 

With only 5 states issuing "Enhanced Driver's Licenses" there's no possible way for all cruisers to have them. From Carnival's FAQ on the website:

For cruises that begin and end in a U.S port, the following WHTI-Compliant Documents are acceptable for cruise travel.

• U.S. Passport
  • Passport Card
  • State Enhanced Driver's License
  • Certificate of U.S. Naturalization
  • Native American Indians

Also acceptable for cruise travel (for cruises that begin and end in a U.S port), U.S. citizens can show proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate  issued by a government agency and accompanied by government-issued photo identification

That last sentence is the most important for your mom. "accompanied by government issued photo identification" and that would be her driver's license that will have a photo on it. You should be good to go with the birth certificate and driver's license. Although if she is going to regularly cruise, I would suggest you go ahead and get her a passport to make things much easier moving forward. 

Edited by creativegenius
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, bandjwayne said:

Maybe for flying?  I know that you need either a passport or the enhanced DL to fly domestic in the US.  I just know that because we have to fly for our cruises.  Never have had a problem before we got our passports. Wife had the DL, birth cert AND marriage cert for the cruise. I had DL and birth cert and had no issues. 

No, a Real ID will be required for flying,  not an enhanced license.  As noted, enhanced license is only issued by 5 states 

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Buffettfan 225 said:

The only issue may be an emergency and having to fly out of Mexico requires a passport. 

If it happens (and it doesn't happen for the vast majority of passengers) the there are provisions in the regulations to waive the passport requirement for emergencies and for humanitarian reasons. There will be a delay while Carnival and the authorities sort things out but it's not as big of an issue as some think it would be.

• Like 1

This is specifically from the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizens/western-hemisphere-travel-initiative

What types of documents are accepted for entry into the United States via land and sea?

• U.S. citizens can present a valid: U.S. Passport; Passport Card; Enhanced Driver’s License; Trusted Traveler Program card (NEXUS, SENTRI or FAST); U.S. Military identification card when traveling on official orders; U.S. Merchant Mariner document when traveling in conjunction with official maritime business; or Form I-872 American Indian Card, or (when available) Enhanced Tribal Card.
  • U.S. and Canadian citizen children under the age of 16 (or under 19, if traveling with a school, religious group, or other youth group) need only present a birth certificate or other proof of citizenship. The birth certificate can be original, photocopy, or certified copy.
  • WHTI does not affect U.S. Lawful Permanent Residents, who are still required to present their permanent resident card (Form I-551) or other valid evidence of permanent residence status.
  • Canadian citizens can present a valid passport, Enhanced Driver’s License, or Trusted Traveler Program card (NEXUS, SENTRI or FAST).
  • Bermudian citizens are required to present a valid passport.
  • Mexican citizens, including children, are required to present a passport with visa, or a Border Crossing Card.
  • U.S. citizens on closed-loop cruises (cruises that begin and end at the same U.S. port) are able to enter the United States with a birth certificate and government-issued photo ID. Please be aware that you may still be required to present a passport to enter the countries your cruise ship is visiting. Check with your cruise line to ensure you have the appropriate documents.

On 5/8/2022 at 2:16 AM, icft said:

I do remember reading that you would have one to do any type of travel. Cruise, plane, etc but not sure what date that actually will be in effect.

22 minutes ago, sthrnbll said:

I do remember reading that you would have one to do any type of travel. Cruise, plane, etc but not sure what date that actually will be in effect.

When I needed to renew my NY driver's license, I was asked if I wanted the new enhanced license for a fee. I said that I had a passport that at the time still had 9 years on it. I was told I would not need the newer type of license as the passport would take care of everything it did.

On 5/8/2022 at 2:31 AM, chengkp75 said:

Just know that California doesn't issue enhanced drivers license. 

That is not correct. California has been issuing enhanced drivers licenses for at least 2 years. My son got his in 2020 and I got mine this past April.

If you don’t have a Passport you can board with a Drivers License and Birth Certificate. Now as far as the Enhanced License is concerned don’t get it confused with Real ID. Only 5 states offer an Enhanced License that works the same as a Passport Card Michigan, Minnesota, New York, Vermont and Washington. ALL other states have either a standard drivers license or Real ID. A true ENHANCED license actually says ENHANCED on it and has the American flag on it. A star on your drivers license means Real ID which requires a Birth Certificate with it to board the ship. 

11 hours ago, thekidsandi said:

That is not correct. California has been issuing enhanced drivers licenses for at least 2 years. My son got his in 2020 and I got mine this past April.

No, your son was issued a REAL ID compliant license. He did have to submit citizenship documents when he applied but that was only to establish that he had legal presence in the US, even a permanent resident who is a citizen of another country may obtain a REAL ID compliant license. An Enhanced License comes with the same background checks and security features that are in a passport card and California does not issue those.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, BonnieH said:

My daughter never changed her name on her passport when she got married.  Can we just bring her PP, marriage cert and DL?  (out of Port Canaveral)

The DL isn't strictly necessary but can be used in port as ID to return to the ship.