Like them or not (I do) N.C.L. is getting almost everything right ,what do you think.

dolittle

I hope no one takes this question the wrong way and that we don't spin off too far from the original topic. If NCL gets most things correctly, then why is there such a hankering for specialty dining? This is just a money grab by NCL (as I see it). Shouldn't the MDR be enough for folks on the cruise if they want better food than the buffet? 

Now to be the clown...I haven't eaten in a NCL MDR as I cruised Haven, but if I were to cruise somewhere in the rest of the ship, I wouldn't be giving NCL even more cash - I'd hit up Taste or Savor. The other one is too dressy for me and I honestly don't want people dancing while I'm trying to eat. 

But seriously, why should I have to pay extra for good food, if good food is offered in the MDR. Am I ignorant of something on this NCL does better than others forum?

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

I hope no one takes this question the wrong way and that we don't spin off too far from the original topic. If NCL gets most things correctly, then why is there such a hankering for specialty dining? This is just a money grab by NCL (as I see it). Shouldn't the MDR be enough for folks on the cruise if they want better food than the buffet? 

Now to be the clown...I haven't eaten in a NCL MDR as I cruised Haven, but if I were to cruise somewhere in the rest of the ship, I wouldn't be giving NCL even more cash - I'd hit up Taste or Savor. The other one is too dressy for me and I honestly don't want people dancing while I'm trying to eat. 

But seriously, why should I have to pay extra for good food, if good food is offered in the MDR. Am I ignorant of something on this NCL does better than others forum?

Its about more choices.

it would need to be a massive menu to provide all the choices available across the ship elsewhere.

I like a steak sometime what's on offer in the MDR will do the job(prime,strip,eye...) sometimes I want a porterhouse.

I find the Haven menu limited so even when staying there I venture out and will hit the MDR if that days looks good but will have the others in the plan.

Does it cost extra, not really if you plan ahead and stick a dining package on your total cruise cost to cover your expected dining.

I walk on the ship and don't pay any extra like you don't for the haven one you paid it up front.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, insidecabin said:

Its about more choices.

it would need to be a massive menu to provide all the choices available across the ship elsewhere.

I like a steak sometime what's on offer in the MDR will do the job(prime,strip,eye...) sometimes I want a porterhouse.

I find the Haven menu limited so even when staying there I venture out and will hit the MDR if that days looks good but will have the others in the plan.

Does it cost extra, not really if you plan ahead and stick a dining package on your total cruise cost to cover your expected dining.

I walk on the ship and don't pay any extra like you don't for the haven one you paid it up front.

Exactly.  When I do a land vacation, I don't go to the same restaurant every night.  Some days I want a steakhouse, others I want Asian Fusion. etc.  No way any MDR is going to be able to provide all that

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruiseny4life said:

I, like everyone else, have a kitchen and dining room in my house...where I can eat, what I want, when I want, for "free" everyday. Yet, despite the fact that I, like everyone else, has this dining option, there is a market for many different types of restaurants. Why? Because people like a change of pace, they like to go out, they like choices and options.

The great thing is that NCL has the OPTION of the specialty restaurant...your option, your choice. If you're happy with the MDR, you can eat all your meals there. You can also eat some meals at specialty restaurants, or eat ALL your meals at specialty restaurants. Different strokes for different folks. I'm glad I can make my own choices.

• Like 4

and, you cant beat teppanyaki or moderno.  at the end of the day, its your choice/decision. if you dont want to pay extra for the "specialty" restaurants, then dont go! if youre platinum or higher, you get 2 free dinners anyway. you can always waive the dinner package as well as the drink package.

if that's what you want,feel free to eat at the buffet, o'sheehan's, and either of the mdr's. wont cost you an extra cent

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

If NCL gets most things correctly, then why is there such a hankering for specialty dining? This is just a money grab by NCL (as I see it). Shouldn't the MDR be enough for folks on the cruise if they want better food than the buffet? 

It's all about choice. 

Why offer an Oceanview? Isn't an Inside good enough?

Why offer a Balcony? Isn't an Oceanview good enough?

Why offer a Club Balcony? isn't a Balcony good enough?

Why offer a Suite? Isn't a Club balcony good enough?

There are different levels and people pick and choose based on what they want and on what they are willing to pay. There's nothing wrong with offering a choice. If option A isn't good enough, take option B and so on. 

1 hour ago, SeaShark said:

The great thing is that NCL has the OPTION of the specialty restaurant...your option, your choice. If you're happy with the MDR, you can eat all your meals there. You can also eat some meals at specialty restaurants, or eat ALL your meals at specialty restaurants. Different strokes for different folks. I'm glad I can make my own choices.

^^ This. 

If the MDR food was bad, I could understand the resentment towards the specialty restaurants. Even though it has been a while, I had no problem with the MDR food. Obviously, not every food item will be great but if someone eats all of their meals in the MDR, they won't suffer. 

1 hour ago, geegee1 said:

Some days I want a steakhouse, others I want Asian Fusion. etc.  No way any MDR is going to be able to provide all that

Agree. One of the best things about the specialty restaurants is the variety. I'd be in favor of more diversity as far as different cultural foods and with so many parts of the world being represented by NCL staff, there is an opportunity to explore. Not every guests wants the same food that they can eat at home....but if they do, the option is there for them. 

• Like 2

YOWZA!  There’s some wince inducing posts here.

Love cruising.  Not loyal to any cruise line.  Actually, on a Royal cruise right now.  

Sailed NCL inside solo cabins, sailed in the Haven.  Both have + and - (biggest being cost).

The newer ships are all beautiful.  

If you do not want to interface with other people, for any reason, a cruise probably isn’t the choice for you.  I’ve seen some drunk, obnoxious people  in the Haven, and I’ve had delightful experiences in the main dining rooms sitting with perfect strangers.

From a business/customer service perspective, NCL screwed many of us over with their COVID broken promises.  Still, they put out as good of a product as any of the other lines…many times better.

Cruisers can be some of the most intolerant folks I’ve met.  Your “loyalty status”, while giving a few little perks here and there, really holds no influence over your fellow cruisers.

Said it many times, I have sailed the “listing” NCL cruise a few years ago.  I sailed the Norway a week before it exploded.  I have never, ever had an unenjoyable cruise.  

Again, If you’re unable to adapt to make your cruise vacation fun, you really shouldn’t cruise!

PS-I think the only cruises I’ve heard about that might make me unhappy, would have been the feces flood on a Carnival ship several years ago or the Costa run aground cruise!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

I agree about not paying extra to get something nice to eat on a ship.  We are not foodies by any stretch, and frankly usually have a light supper about 5 in the buffet, depending on the day's schedule.  I'd rather play trivia in the bar, or lounge in the corridors with a glass of champagne watching people going into their formal dinners.  I see the 'ship within a ship', specialty restaurants, VIP whatevers as things which appeal to some people because they want 'status'.  That's great, they can pay for status.  I don't see much other benefits and have better things to do with my money.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, jbcallender said:

I will be having my first NCL cruise in November after two cancellations of the same cruise..  I have cruised on Royal Caribbean, and Holland America.  My impression so far is that NCL doesn't give anything for "free", in fact I am feeling a little nickel and dimed to be honest.

I have done several cruises on NCL and Royal. Don't worry, in my opinion, they both have the same amount of nickel and diming.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, jsn55 said:

I see the 'ship within a ship', specialty restaurants, VIP whatevers as things which appeal to some people because they want 'status'. 

I feel the exact opposite.  I think the vast majority choose the higher priced accommodations and specialty restaurants because it adds to their enjoyment.  Personally, I've sailed many cruises in an inside with minimal specialty dining, and I enjoyed that as much as some enjoy the "finer" offerings.  I'm sure I would enjoy the Haven, but I would rather do other things with that money.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

once again, i agree 100% with my good buddy chief mate.  it isnt about "status". maybe jsn55 is just jealous or they've never taken the opportunity to book a haven cabin

i never mention we're in a haven suite, we just enjoy the amenities, and are willing to pay a little extra to get them. the only time the haven question comes up is if we're on t he elevator with other people and need to put  in the key card for the designated haven floors. most often they ask about it, we never volunteer the info and we certainly dont wear hats or t-shirts proclaiming "we're in a haven" 

quote the immortal billy holiday "t'aint no body's business but my own"

as a final note, a wise old man once said "dont knock unless  youve tried it"

• Like 1

3 hours ago, graphicguy said:

If you do not want to interface with other people, for any reason, a cruise probably isn’t the choice for you.  I’ve seen some drunk, obnoxious people  in the Haven, and I’ve had delightful experiences in the main dining rooms sitting with perfect strangers.

I'm an introvert.  My wife has social anxiety disorder.  We love cruising.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, The Shrike said:

I'm an introvert.  My wife has social anxiety disorder.  We love cruising.

I’m empathetic.  Trying to wrap my head around what on a cruise would be enjoyable given your description and conditions. 

Not judging, but you’re  embarking with 2k-3k other cruisers, dining in restaurants that seat hundreds, watching shows where 100s are in attendance, with an abundance of people in all public spaces, etc.

Next to impossible not to interface with many, many people on a cruise.

• Like 1

Just wondering---all you loyal NCL cruisers who do not want to meet and dine with other people on your cruise, do you participate in roll calls and join private tours with these strangers from the roll call?

I know for instance on a Princess Baltic cruise, I set up a private group tour in St. Petersburg, Russia. There ended up 10 of us all together, and we really bonded well.

Just wondering, not being critical of anyone else's preferences.

Edited by ontheweb
added last paragraph
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

I’m empathetic.  Trying to wrap my head around what on a cruise would be enjoyable given your description and conditions. 

Not judging, but you’re  embarking with 2k-3k other cruisers, dining in restaurants that seat hundreds, watching shows where 100s are in attendance, with an abundance of people in all public spaces, etc.

Next to impossible not to interface with many, many people on a cruise.

I’m a hardcore introvert. IMO, cruising can be an excellent choice for introverts. I enjoy some human interaction but also need places to recharge since being around others can be draining. 

My last cruise was on Bliss to Alaska. Sometimes I watched the scenery from The Waterfront and chatted with others nearby. Sometimes I went all the way aft to watch the scenery mostly alone. It’s so easy to dip in and out of the social atmosphere! 

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Just wondering---all you loyal NCL cruisers who do not want to meet and dine with other people on your cruise, do you participate in roll calls and join private tours with these strangers from the roll call?

We do not.  I'm there for family time away from the real world.  I have no need to meet and dine with other people, participate in roll calls and join in activities with strangers.  If I make a few new temporary friends in the lounge, that's great.  But it's just a passing bonus.

• Like 3

ontheweb

a resounding and emphatic "NO" i dont participate in roll calls, unless i have something to add, or want to offer information, as we've been on 18 ncl cruises and about half dozen on other lines, i dont try and join other people on private tours, and i certainly dont want to join anyone in either "meet and greet or pub crawls" im not anti-social, just really not interested in doing so. incidentally, you meet a whole bunch of  people onthe ncl shore excyrsions, and if it includes luch, you sit together

that being said, however, i do look forward to having a drink with both chiefmate and or  sthrngary

if the opportunity ever arises

• Like 1

2 hours ago, coastcat said:

I’m a hardcore introvert. IMO, cruising can be an excellent choice for introverts. I enjoy some human interaction but also need places to recharge since being around others can be draining. 

My last cruise was on Bliss to Alaska. Sometimes I watched the scenery from The Waterfront and chatted with others nearby. Sometimes I went all the way aft to watch the scenery mostly alone. It’s so easy to dip in and out of the social atmosphere! 

Sounds like a good plan!

1 hour ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

We do not.  I'm there for family time away from the real world.  I have no need to meet and dine with other people, participate in roll calls and join in activities with strangers.  If I make a few new temporary friends in the lounge, that's great.  But it's just a passing bonus.

Thank you for replying. We are different, and look for different things from cruises, but I respect your opinion.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, complawyer said:

ontheweb

a resounding and emphatic "NO" i dont participate in roll calls, unless i have something to add, or want to offer information, as we've been on 18 ncl cruises and about half dozen on other lines, i dont try and join other people on private tours, and i certainly dont want to join anyone in either "meet and greet or pub crawls" im not anti-social, just really not interested in doing so. incidentally, you meet a whole bunch of  people onthe ncl shore excyrsions, and if it includes luch, you sit together

that being said, however, i do look forward to having a drink with both chiefmate and or  sthrngary

if the opportunity ever arises

Same reply I made to Chiefmate that I am glad you responded even though we have different ideas about cruises. From reading the Norwegian boards, I have become aware that more have your opinion than mine. I just wonder how many who feel like me I will find when we sail on the Prima the summer of 2023.

Just wanted to add that I have now read reactions to my posts. And I see a poster who seems to like my posts in this thread, so I have some hope that although I will be in the minority, there will be some who feel like I do.

Edited by ontheweb
added last paragraph

6 hours ago, ChC said:

You nailed it. It is all about choice. So why not offer all the choices in one single place: a complimentary dining experience that you do not need to pay for? Better still, why not offer all the choices in MDR?

If MDR is good enough, why offer complimentary speciality dining?

If complimentary specialty dining is good enough, why offer paid option?

You are questioning choices of dining venue. But in reality it is choices of the menu or even choice of inclusive for others.

For us, it's not the quality of food or service ... we just don't want to spend much more than an hour having a meal. Give me a glass of champagne, 3 appetizers and a bowl of ice cream, I'm happy.  We did the MDR once on our last cruise, it was a great experience, both the meals and the service, but it just took too long.  In the past we've had fabulous table mates and never once have not enjoyed their company ... maybe as you get older you just get 'talked out'?? 

11 hours ago, SeaShark said:

I, like everyone else, have a kitchen and dining room in my house...where I can eat, what I want, when I want, for "free" everyday. Yet, despite the fact that I, like everyone else, has this dining option, there is a market for many different types of restaurants. Why? Because people like a change of pace, they like to go out, they like choices and options.

I too like the idea of options. 

Not a 3 meal/day person or a big eater, but I do enjoy the specialty restaurants very much. 

Not just for the food choices,  but the atmosphere and ambience in some is particularly appealing. 

I don't mind paying for things I enjoy. 

Have had some excellent meals at fee shows also. 

Rarely eat in the MDRs,  but do for holiday meals and other times. 

I'm happy with the abundant choices of apps and will sometimes skip the entree. 

Dessert choices are nice too. 

By not being an inclusive price,  we can choose. 

18 hours ago, ontheweb said:

I know for instance on a Princess Baltic cruise, I set up a private group tour in St. Petersburg, Russia. There ended up 10 of us all together, and we really bonded well.

I've gone to one Roll Call in all of my cruises, was not my thing.  The wife and I walked in, then pretty much walked out as soon as the last ship speaker was done.  Have never done an organized private excursions with other, come to think about don't think we've done more than a couple of NCL sponsored excursions either

18 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

...If I make a few new temporary friends in the lounge, that's great.  But it's just a passing bonus.

Exactly, met a few people either at the pool or a bar.  But it's not like we exchanged room #'s or even home phone #'s.  

19 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Don't make the mistake of thinking that people who don't want to be seated with others at dinner don';t necessarily want to meet people as well.

I go to the meet & greet, I talk to people at the bar, and count many people who I have met on cruises amongst my friends. Some of them I have cruised with on multiple occasions. I have eaten with others quite a few times on cruises. However, we have always selected the people we dine with.

Generally we like to eat with by ourselves. There is plenty of time to socialise during the rest of the cruise. When we eat with others it is because we specifically want to spend time with those people, rather than feeling that we need to use the dining table as a place to make friends (with people randomly selected for us). I'm a big boy now and I can find my own friends.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I have been cruising for nearly 60 years starting as a 9-year-old in 1965. I have sailed on many cruise lines from Carnival to Norwegian America and have seen the evolution over the years. I have loved every cruise and cruise line. I am an extrovert (wife introvert) and love the roll calls and mingling and speaking with others. I must say the only dining issue we ever had was on Carnival in 1989. We were placed at a table for ten with a couple whose husband asked me every time he saw me if I had a gun both in the restaurant and elsewhere on the ship, simply because I was from NY. Regarding NCL specifically, I do think they get it right. I love the freestyle concept, casual dress and the ability to eat when we want and without the requirement of eating with others if we do not want to. While I am not crazy about Rope Courses or Go-Karts, my grandchildren who will be with us on The Joy in 2 weeks can't wait to use them. Therefore, there is something for everyone.

Mike A

Edited by Mike A
  • Like 3