Kotor Diy excursions

Super easy to DIY in Kotor. There have been  multiple threads on Kotor, some more recent than othes due to the lack of travel in the last couple of years,  and most will have the info and ideas you are asking for The easiest way to get maximum info is to use the CC SEARCH facility,  where all previous threads containing the word Kotor will appear in the results. and you can read at your leisure. (you will also find several references to being up on deck very early for the really scenic sail-in).

The search facility is very easy to use. Go to  this Other Mediterranean Ports board, but not to your own thread.   Log in, and just below your user name, you will see the empty search box.  Input the word Kotor, then tick "on this forum" from the drop down underneath the box, then hit the little magnifying glass.  All previous threads containing that word will appear in the results

There is also lots of online info for Kotor. Try the usual cruise port info websites for docking info, distances  etc (whatsinport, cruisemapper, cruise crocodile and others) ,,Tripadvisor and local tourist info  websites and anything else which comes up when you internet search something along the lines of"?????"  Tourist Info". or even only the name "?????" 

Edited by edinburgher
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have been to Kotor twice by cruise ship. Firstly make sure you do not miss the sail in as it is very scenic and one of the loveliest sail ins I have done. Of course there is the sail out but depending on what time you leave it may be dark or you may be sailing directly into the sun.

Most ships moor and tender the passengers to the dock which is quite small. The old town of Kotor is very close to the dock and it is flat and very easy to walk around. On our first visit we walked up the walls to the St John Fortress which is not for the faint hearted as it is a hard walk as the steps are uneven and quite steep. The views though were magnificent. The second time we got the local bus to Perast (cost €1 per adult each way in 2016), then a local boat (cost €5 per adult in 2016) to Lady of the Rocks island to see the church. Very pretty town and lovely views of the bay. Both times we had time to also walk around the old town of Kotor before getting the tender back to the ship.

Hope you have a great visit to Kotor.

Edited by PurpleTraveller
  • Like 1

Agree with PurpleTraveller's recommendation re the sail in. Our ship docked right at the pier so we only needed to walk across the street to enter the Old Town which is charming and fun to explore. Our ship departed before sunset and the sail out was just as magical as the sail in and the ship passed close to Lady of the Rocks to see the church.  Enjoy your time in Kotor.

In addition to my previous post (#2), could add that we visited twice.  Both times we docked just across the street from the town.

We got up early both times for the sail-in as the light was perfect for photos and there was a beautiful feeling of calm and stillness as we made our way towards the town.  Leaving later in the day, the light was  way too bright and in the wrong place for photos and a lot of the early morning charm had gone.

Like PurpleTraveller, we also stayed in town the first time but avoided the uphill hike( which isn't for the fainthearted in heat of 30C plus).  Second time we also took the local bus to Perast and went over to Our Lady.  It was OK going when we were seated, but returning to Kotor our bus was full and we had to stand almost all the way which only meant we had to sit and enjoy a cold beer on arrival back in Kotor.

We also enjoyed looking at some of the super yachts docked in Kotor town..

Many have put quite a bit of Kotor info on earlier threads, which is why I suggested using the Search option as others have posted in the past about out of town options in addition to info on the town itself.

Edited by edinburgher

Hope I can help with a suggestion for Kotor and some other ports but lets keep with the subject. We have visited Kotor port in Montenegro a few times in las few years and w have been lucky to meet local tour guide who I believe run the local travel company Mont Travelers Montenegro. (www.monttravelers.com) We did 3 tours(twice with the same guide) and happy with their service every time. Luckily, Montenegro is a small country so in just a few hours you are able to visit a third of the country. Last time we did Skadar Lake national park and wine tasting in a small family winery which was a great tour but for the first time I suggest to take 4-5 hours tour with a mountain roads and old town Budva and leave at least an hour to visit Kotor after the tour. There is more agencies like this one but I am sharing my experience here. Hope you will find this post useful and have fun. 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I am looking  for information in regards to the bus to Perast from Kotor. I have found that this blue line bus stops at the ships doc for easy access. However I have also read that you need to walk (no problem) to the bus station in town. This would be fine but I cannot find a time schedule anywhere. Anyone that has cruised to Kotor recently know if the bus still stops by the pier & the schedule.

Thanks

• 1 month later...
On 5/19/2022 at 6:20 AM, Marck123 said:

Hope I can help with a suggestion for Kotor and some other ports but lets keep with the subject. We have visited Kotor port in Montenegro a few times in las few years and w have been lucky to meet local tour guide who I believe run the local travel company Mont Travelers Montenegro. (www.monttravelers.com) We did 3 tours(twice with the same guide) and happy with their service every time. Luckily, Montenegro is a small country so in just a few hours you are able to visit a third of the country. Last time we did Skadar Lake national park and wine tasting in a small family winery which was a great tour but for the first time I suggest to take 4-5 hours tour with a mountain roads and old town Budva and leave at least an hour to visit Kotor after the tour. There is more agencies like this one but I am sharing my experience here. Hope you will find this post useful and have fun. 

Looked up this company and curious which tour you would recommend for 1st time visitors.  They have several that interests us - photography tour; perast/OLO Rocks your; hidden gems tour or best of Montenegro tour.  Would love to see Perast but more so the Mountain view. 

On 8/13/2022 at 3:11 PM, RTR 21-0 said:

They have several that interests us - photography tour; perast/OLO Rocks your; hidden gems tour or best of Montenegro tour.  

We have this tour scheduled on a cruise Sept 18.  The website shows beautiful photos, doesn't it?  So far I can't urge other cruisers on our Roll Call to join us.🙄  No matter - going to do it anyway.  Happy planning.

2 hours ago, nursinadream said:

We have this tour scheduled on a cruise Sept 18.  The website shows beautiful photos, doesn't it?  So far I can't urge other cruisers on our Roll Call to join us.🙄  No matter - going to do it anyway.  Happy planning.

Those photos keep drawing me back to that tour.  My only hesitation is the price.  Please let me know your thoughts when you return.  Our cruise isn't until May of next year so have a little of time to narrow one down.  Wishing you a fabulous cruise!

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/10/2022 at 4:03 AM, edinburgher said:

Super easy to DIY in Kotor. There have been  multiple threads on Kotor, some more recent than othes due to the lack of travel in the last couple of years,  and most will have the info and ideas you are asking for The easiest way to get maximum info is to use the CC SEARCH facility,  where all previous threads containing the word Kotor will appear in the results. and you can read at your leisure. (you will also find several references to being up on deck very early for the really scenic sail-in).

The search facility is very easy to use. Go to  this Other Mediterranean Ports board, but not to your own thread.   Log in, and just below your user name, you will see the empty search box.  Input the word Kotor, then tick "on this forum" from the drop down underneath the box, then hit the little magnifying glass.  All previous threads containing that word will appear in the results

There is also lots of online info for Kotor. Try the usual cruise port info websites for docking info, distances  etc (whatsinport, cruisemapper, cruise crocodile and others) ,,Tripadvisor and local tourist info  websites and anything else which comes up when you internet search something along the lines of"?????"  Tourist Info". or even only the name "?????" 

The "SEARCH" facility on Cruise Critic is totally worthless. 

• Like 1

The "SEARCH" facility on Cruise Critic is totally worthless. 

Totally agree with cruisemom42.  Works beautifully every time unless  you are not using it correctly. 

i already explained how to use it correctly in the second paragraph of post #2, but here it is again.

If, as an example, you wanted to pull up all previous threads about Kotor, you would go to the OTHER MEDITERRANEAN PORTS FORUM, but NOT to any individual thread.

Just below your user name you will see an empty SEARCH BOX.

Input the word KOTOR

Select ON THIS FORUM from the drop down directly under the search box,

Then all you need to do is CLICK THE LITTLE MAGNIFYING GLASS next to the search box and all previous threads containing that word will appear ready for you to read.

Works the same for other locations too, exactly the same process, but if eg your port is in France, you would go the FRANCE PORTS FORUM.  If your port is in Italy, you go to the Italy Ports FORUM. The same applies to ALL geographic forums and others too.

Edited by edinburgher
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/20/2022 at 3:39 PM, RTR 21-0 said:

Those photos keep drawing me back to that tour.  My only hesitation is the price.  Please let me know your thoughts when you return.  Our cruise isn't until May of next year so have a little of time to narrow one down.  Wishing you a fabulous cruise!

My husband and I had a great 4-5 hour drive with Dimitrije the owner of Mont Travelers.  We chose the photo or panoramic tour.  We loved it.  220 Euros for the 2 of us is fine for us. Beautiful views as described and a stop for prosciutto, cheese and bread, wine and homemade brandy - everything was homemade.  One of our favorite excursions.  No churches, no villages or ruins.  Perfect.

Deb

• Like 2

On 10/3/2022 at 10:08 PM, nursinadream said:

My husband and I had a great 4-5 hour drive with Dimitrije the owner of Mont Travelers.  We chose the photo or panoramic tour.  We loved it.  220 Euros for the 2 of us is fine for us. Beautiful views as described and a stop for prosciutto, cheese and bread, wine and homemade brandy - everything was homemade.  One of our favorite excursions.  No churches, no villages or ruins.  Perfect.

Deb

Thank you for letting me know how the tour went!  Appreciate the info.  

• 3 months later...

Thanks to everyone who has shared tips on visiting Kotor.  Just putting it out there that Rob and I will be there on Jul 12/23 onboard Celebrity Beyond.  I just send an email to Mont Travelers to inquire about their 4-hour speed boat tour that looks amazing!  If there's another couple interested in joining us, please don't hesitate to respond.  Why I chose this tour is that if we spend the morning on the water, we still have all afternoon to explore the town and maybe a short taxi up in the hills for a quick look at the view.   Happy travels!

15 hours ago, YVRcanucks said:

Thanks to everyone who has shared tips on visiting Kotor.  Just putting it out there that Rob and I will be there on Jul 12/23 onboard Celebrity Beyond.  I just send an email to Mont Travelers to inquire about their 4-hour speed boat tour that looks amazing!  If there's another couple interested in joining us, please don't hesitate to respond.  Why I chose this tour is that if we spend the morning on the water, we still have all afternoon to explore the town and maybe a short taxi up in the hills for a quick look at the view.   Happy travels!

In case you want to prebook a cab I can recommand this company. We used them last summer as my husband cannot walk that much. Excellent driver who spoke good english. http://www.redtaxikotor.com/

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/3/2022 at 11:08 PM, nursinadream said:

Deb

Thank you for your review.  I just contacted them to book the tour in May when we get to Kotor.