Test onboard to re-enter US

lovecruzin

I have been having a conversation on social media with a cruiser on the May 4 Eclipse cruise (Honolulu to Vancouver) Apparently they inquired about premium internet to perform their return to the US Covid test onboard prior to disembarking and were told testing needs to be done off the ship, that they can’t test onboard. My first thought was that X doesn’t want to be responsible for them if they get a positive result onboard, perhaps I am missing something but this makes no sense.

Any info I can pass on? I feel badly for this person who is stressing about this on their vacation.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, lovecruzin said:

I have been having a conversation on social media with a cruiser on the May 4 Eclipse cruise (Honolulu to Vancouver) Apparently they inquired about premium internet to perform their return to the US Covid test onboard prior to disembarking and were told testing needs to be done off the ship, that they can’t test onboard. My first thought was that X doesn’t want to be responsible for them if they get a positive result onboard, perhaps I am missing something but this makes no sense.

Any info I can pass on? I feel badly for this person who is stressing about this on their vacation.

I know that they do not give you the test until after you are off the ship if you buy it from them, but nothing could prevent you from bringing your own test on board and testing on the ship.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We were scheduled to be on that May 4 Honolulu to Vancouver cruise but instead am posting from Honolulu where my husband is completing his Covid isolation.  With their revised schedule folks on the Eclipse may not have any remaining port calls and so no options to buy on shore if they don’t have kits with them.

2 hours ago, lovecruzin said:

Danna:  I often read the CC forum for Canadian residents.     There has been some discussion about this issue.  Apparently if someone tests positive on a cruise ship and the cruise ends in Canada the passenger needs to complete their isolation in Canada at expense of the cruise line.  Clearly if someone tests positive on the pier the would most likely tested positive while on board.   The cruise lines may be trying to wiggle around this public health requirement.

Gerry

• Thanks 1

Wow, I actually had this exact thought a few minutes ago for our upcoming cruise RT from Rome. Since they are apparently letting you stay onboard if you test positive, wouldn't it make more sense to bring the proctored test with you and test before disembarkation?  If you are negative, you are free to relax on your way to the airport (or in our case on the one day prior to leaving while we enjoy Rome). If you are positive, you are still on the ship with potential options.  

• Like 1

We will be bring the tests from EMed with us to test the day before debarkation.  The added stress of getting tested between the time we step off the ship and when we check-in for our flight is not for us.  

13 minutes ago, Northern Aurora said:

We were scheduled to be on that May 4 Honolulu to Vancouver cruise but instead am posting from Honolulu where my husband is completing his Covid isolation.  With their revised schedule folks on the Eclipse may not have any remaining port calls and so no options to buy on shore if they don’t have kits with them.

Danna:  I often read the CC forum for Canadian residents.     There has been some discussion about this issue.  Apparently if someone tests positive on a cruise ship and the cruise ends in Canada the passenger needs to complete their isolation in Canada at expense of the cruise line.  Clearly if someone tests positive on the pier the would most likely tested positive while on board.   The cruise lines may be trying to wiggle around this public health requirement.

Gerry

Hi Gerry! Lol I don't think I knew your name!

My thoughts exactly but I wasn't sure if that was still the requirement.

I also read the Canadian forum and have seen that if possible one should test onboard, it sounds like X is just trying to avoid the potential expense by telling this guest that their test isn't valid if used onboard.

8 hours ago, jelayne said:

We will be bring the tests from EMed with us to test the day before debarkation.  The added stress of getting tested between the time we step off the ship and when we check-in for our flight is not for us.  

I agree. Just hope internet is strong enough. 

• Like 3

You may also bring LFT KITS…Costco Flowflex for example.   Self-test and if positive immediately notify medical as they will isolate you, test and if positive by ship’s medical, you are covered.  Staying on the ship to complete any quarantine requirements is not necessarily practical for many and where does the ship go?  Plus air deviation support is coordinating but not covering additional costs…all changed after May 1.

Many of the Rome itineraries on Beyond and Reflection have a port day the day prior to departure. We are taking the E-Med test kits with us. We will do them from the ship once we dock in Naples which is the day before departure. If that for some reason fails tests are still easy to get at pharmacies in Naples. Since we have a 1:50pm flight, backup #3 would be test at FCO. If we need backup #4 at that point I am prepared to admit defeat and stay in Rome for a bit. 

It takes a little extra forethought but totally manageable if you research your options. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

Many of the Rome itineraries on Beyond and Reflection have a port day the day prior to departure. We are taking the E-Med test kits with us. We will do them from the ship once we dock in Naples which is the day before departure. If that for some reason fails tests are still easy to get at pharmacies in Naples. Since we have a 1:50pm flight, backup #3 would be test at FCO. If we need backup #4 at that point I am prepared to admit defeat and stay in Rome for a bit. 

It takes a little extra forethought but totally manageable if you research your options. 

Encourage you to review the Italian health protocols should you choose a local provider to test as well as Celebrity’s obligation to notify local authorities if you test onboard.   I believe this may be why Celebrity is offering guests what test positive to stay onboard, although in a quarantine status/room, I have read Italy requires quarantine in a hotel until you meet those requirements.

15 hours ago, lovecruzin said:

Danna… we are on Millennium docking in Vancouver on Friday.  Was told complimentary testing has been discontinued.  $24.95 to purchase eMed test or get a more expensive test at airport or in Vancouver somewhere.

We had been reading about this prior to our cruise, so brought tests with us to do in Victoria the prior to debark.  Disappointed that the communication was so sketchy.

54 minutes ago, twincheryl said:

Danna… we are on Millennium docking in Vancouver on Friday.  Was told complimentary testing has been discontinued.  $24.95 to purchase eMed test or get a more expensive test at airport or in Vancouver somewhere.

We had been reading about this prior to our cruise, so brought tests with us to do in Victoria the prior to debark.  Disappointed that the communication was so sketchy.

It seems the ship has been telling guests that they can’t use the proctored tests on board for travel to return to the US.  Was this your experience ?

We were on the cruise prior to yours, wish we could have done B2B.

5 minutes ago, lovecruzin said:

It seems the ship has been telling guests that they can’t use the proctored tests on board for travel to return to the US.  Was this your experience ?

We were on the cruise prior to yours, wish we could have done B2B.

Hmmm… no mention of this.  Not sure how they could know if you tested prior to debark, especially if you used your cell phone service in port.  We would never want anything from Celebrity if we test positive… would get out of there as quick as we can and drive to Bellingham or Seattle and take it from there.  Obviously easier forus since we’re from the west coast.

25 minutes ago, lovecruzin said:

It seems the ship has been telling guests that they can’t use the proctored tests on board for travel to return to the US.

Where have you heard this? I don't believe it to be true at all.

25 minutes ago, RichYak said:

Where have you heard this? I don't believe it to be true at all.

May be some confusion.  The ship does not give out the EMed proctored tests until you are in the terminal.  So their tests are not available to be done on the ship.  But if you bring your own test and test the day before debarkation or early the morning of the

debarkation they wouldn't know.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

41 minutes ago, lovecruzin said:

Did you read my original post? Are you currently on Eclipse?

Celebrity doesn't have the authority to tell anyone they can't take a test they brought on board. If you were talking about the tests they sell you and deliver after you debark, I'm not even sure why you would mention this. Clearly you can't go back on board after you disembark.

52 minutes ago, RichYak said:

Celebrity doesn't have the authority to tell anyone they can't take a test they brought on board. If you were talking about the tests they sell you and deliver after you debark, I'm not even sure why you would mention this. Clearly you can't go back on board after you disembark.

I was relaying information from a conversation with a current cruiser and asking for opinions. This person was told that the proctored test they brought with them cant be used onboard and have it valid for testing to return to the US. 
No point in mentioning this? Not even sure how to respond to that judgmental remark. 😬 

It appears to have been a silly answer to an equally silly question.  Of course you can take a proctored test onboard; however, X isn't going to give away free streaming wifi to do it.  If faster speed is needed, it must be purchased.  They used to offer an hour/day rate.  

39 minutes ago, goofysmom99 said:

It appears to have been a silly answer to an equally silly question.  Of course you can take a proctored test onboard; however, X isn't going to give away free streaming wifi to do it.  If faster speed is needed, it must be purchased.  They used to offer an hour/day rate.  

Of course you can take the test on the ship however they were told it wouldn't be valid for return to the US unless it was taken after debarking. 

They weren't asking for free anything, only enquiring about upgrading to take the test. Just because you know that they were given inaccurate info doesn’t make the question “silly”

This person was concerned and looking for answers. I am trying to help, I guess its true what they say “no good deed goes unpunished”

• Haha 1

Because of this very debate, we have changed our flight home from Vancouver to Seattle and will hire a car service to Seattle.  Expensive?  Yes, but no more than trip insurance and we do not need to test and risk either missing our flight or having to isolate in Canada.  If we are symptomatic, then we test onboard and take it from there.  It was just too much stress after a vacation.  It's enough to cancel...once again.  First world problem

• Like 4

For those planning to test onboard, just please consider that in our most recent Alaska cruises we have had mostly bad to very bad to horrible internet onboard.  If a whole bunch of people are attempting to do the same thing at similar times,  I can only imagine what that will do to the internet.  I advise doing the test at "off times" very early or very late just to be safe.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

I agree totally!  Yes, sometimes one has to admit defeat, but not until it is absolutely necessary!

58 minutes ago, misha1 said:

Because of this very debate, we have changed our flight home from Vancouver to Seattle and will hire a car service to Seattle.  Expensive?  Yes, but no more than trip insurance and we do not need to test and risk either missing our flight or having to isolate in Canada.  If we are symptomatic, then we test onboard and take it from there.  It was just too much stress after a vacation.  It's enough to cancel...once again.  First world problem

Would you mind telling me which car service? I would like to do the Eclipse Alaska itinerary but the thought of testing onboard, etc..is more than I want to deal with. Thanks!