Best place to exchange US dollars for euros in Athens Greece

latechbulldogs

I understand a bank in Greece is the best place to exchange US dollars for euros. Is there a bank in the international airport where I could use my ATM to get euros before I meet my taxi driver. He requires euros only.  Also what is the best bank to exchange US dollar to euro in the PLAKA area?

2 minutes ago, latechbulldogs said:

I understand a bank in Greece is the best place to exchange US dollars for euros. Is there a bank in the international airport where I could use my ATM to get euros before I meet my taxi driver. He requires euros only.  Also what is the best bank to exchange US dollar to euro in the PLAKA area?

I would ask/research this on the Greece Ports of Call forum.   Here is the link for you:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/463-greece-ports/

We exchanged a little bit of money at the Athens airport after landing, but the exchange rate sucked unless you do a ton of cash (>$400 I think was the minimum). Later on we went to an ATM on the street near our hotel and it was a little better.

We're flying to Spain in about 4 hours, this time we got some money from our local bank at home first so we're coming in with some euros & pounds ahead of time.

Assuming you're American (thus you'll have a need for those dollars when you get home) the best idea is to take euros out of an ATM.  You'll generally get a much better rate than if you were exchanging cash.  

In some countries (Czechia, for one, not sure about Greece) you do need to be careful of which ATMs to use.  Bank ATMs are best.  European ATMs tend to ask whether you want their exchange rate or your bank's.  ALWAYS choose your bank.

Edited by phillygwm
  • Like 1

I am confused.  I am from U.S.   Everyone talks about getting Euros from an ATM.  What kind of card are you using at the ATM?  I am guessing it must be your personal bank's debit card you are using, assuming you can use it overseas. Credit card cash advance would be quite costly and any gift/debit cards that I have gotten as gifts, ect. say for use in U.S. only.   Please enlighten me.  I will be on a Mediterranean cruise in October 2022.

1 hour ago, Mflem1278 said:

I am confused.  I am from U.S.   Everyone talks about getting Euros from an ATM.  What kind of card are you using at the ATM?  I am guessing it must be your personal bank's debit card you are using, assuming you can use it overseas. Credit card cash advance would be quite costly and any gift/debit cards that I have gotten as gifts, ect. say for use in U.S. only.   Please enlighten me.  I will be on a Mediterranean cruise in October 2022.

Use your debit/ATM card for withdrawals from your home accounts. Not cash advances.

Let your bank know you will be traveling and to which countries.

Use bank ATMs, not exchange company ATMs to avoid high fees. 

The ATM lets you choose the language for your transaction.

Edited by marazul
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@Mflem1278 You use your debit card. Super easy. It's actually comforting to go to Europe and know you can get cash. Check your bank for ATM fees - some reverse the transaction fees they charge, usually under $5, so even if they don't, it's still not costly.

I'll need cash for the private tours and small shops. If I have any left, I'm returning to Europe twice within the year, so it's not an issue.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/17/2022 at 1:47 PM, Mflem1278 said:

So lets give you a quick primer :).  The primary means to get cash in Europe (and nearly the entire world) are ATMs.  You can generally use your normal ATM/Debit card (with the normal PIN) just like at an ATM in your home town....although you should notify (in advance) your issuing bank of your travel plans so you do not trigger any possible security issues with your bank due to unusual usage.

In Europe you will find lots of ATMs (they sometimes seem to be everywhere) but they are not all the same.  Just like here in the USA, there are ATMs owned/operated by banks and those will normally get you the best exchange rate with minimum fees.  But there are also lots of privately owned ATMs (some will try to give you confidence by saying they are part of "Euronet" or some other such network) which will generally get you a less desirable exchange rate and sometimes add other fees.

When you do use an ATM/Debit card the terminals will usually offer you two options...... 1.  You will see a screen offering you a specific exchange rate and there will be an option to accept or decline this rate.   You should always always always DECLINE this rate.  You want the entire transaction done in local currency (i.e. Euros) and then the international ATM system will convert your transaction to dollars at a much more favorable rate (you will see it as a dollar transaction on your back statement).  This conversion "racket" is known as "Dynamic Currency Conversion" and novice travelers would be well advised to Google that term and take the time to understand the process and how it can really screw travelers into accepting a lousy exchange rate.

So my rule is simple.   Always, Always, Always decline any ATM or charge card option that offers to convert your transaction to Dollars.  

Hank

P.S.  One other warning.  Do not use a normal credit card (MC, VISA) in an ATM machine since this may result in a "Cash Advance" transaction which can involve lots of fees and interest.  It is the same with using a credit card to get a "Cash Advance" at a bank.  While this is a good emergency back-up plan if you must have cash and have no other option the Cash Advance transaction will get you unfavorable fees and interest (from the day of withdrawal).

Hank

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/19/2022 at 6:32 PM, vwlmember said:

Exchange rates are good right now. 

For the first time in a long time, the euro and dollar are near or close to parity (even exchange) however, the banks are always going to make money on the exchange by charging fees to do the currency exchange AND by getting the better rate in the transaction.

There is a fluctuation in rates throughout the day, and from day to day, and gives banks the flexibility to "sell" and "buy" currency to customers (and institutions/investors, since currency is also a viable investment for some) at rates that net them  profits in the transaction.

The bank would sell you euro, let's say, for 1.1 dollar,  then later only buy it back at 98 cents Plus, there may be transaction fees on either end, though not always, or on all parts of the transaction. Many banks and credit cards charge low or no fees for forex (foreign exchange) transactions, including overseas ATM withdrawals, credit and debit card charge purchases. 

Like Hank said, just know before you go, and let the bank/card issuer know so they don't restrict your account. 

On 5/21/2022 at 9:10 AM, Hlitner said:

Hank

....the legend, pretty much explained all the ways to minimized, reduce, and if possible, avoid fees, high costs, etc., for currency. You can do it, call your bank and or credit card companies and find out how to make this a pleasant and easy experience. 

And thanks as always Hank, marazul and everyone in the community for the helpful comments and tips 🙂

• Like 1

Several posts above mentioned "ATM/debit card".  Be careful; they are not the same.  We have never had a problem in Europe getting cash from an ATM machine using a debit card with either the Visa or Mastercard logos on the card.  On the other hand we have almost always had a problem trying to use a straight ATM card in Europe that just uses the NYCE, STAR, etc. network from the US.  It just doesn't work over there, for the most part.  We have had success using a straight ATM card in Europe on the Allpoint network, but those machines are few and far between (but there is no fee for them if you can find one).

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/17/2022 at 1:47 PM, Mflem1278 said:

I am confused.  I am from U.S.   Everyone talks about getting Euros from an ATM.  What kind of card are you using at the ATM?  

Generally speaking, you would want to use your bank's debit card.  For me, my bank charges a transaction fee for foreign transactions.  My secondary account at a credit union doesn't charge those fees so I travel with that debit card.  Best to check with your bank before travelling.

Slightly off-topic, before using cash (whether Euros, Kuna, etc.) see if the merchant will accept card.  That should always be your first choice, thus minimizing the amount of currency you'll need in the first place.  Again, check your bank's foreign transaction fee; it can be as high as 3%.  Not a big deal for lunch, but if you're making an expensive purchase, it can add up!  

Europe tends to use chip and PIN cards, not chip and signature.  If you're conducting a transaction with a cashier, it will spit out a receipt for you to sign, no biggie.  But if you're at a kiosk and you don't know your credit card's PIN, you may want to use your debit card.  Contactless cards/electronic wallets also work well.

Regarding ATM fees it simply depends on your bank and/or credit union.  Some charge fees and others do not charge fees.  You might want to look at your own I stitutuon.  If it is a fee crazy outfit you might consider taking your business elsewhere or opening another account at a consumer friendly institution.  One of my credit unions actually pays me annual dividends for having our business.  You vote with your dollars and if you are fine paying fees then you get what you deserve which is usually more fees

Hsnk