Live … Ovation of the Seas …Alaska … May 13 - May 20, 2022

Our travel group of 13 (aged 20-89) will be on the Ovation for the June 3rd sailing. We are so excited!!

However I do have a few questions:

1:)  Since this is our first Alaska cruise, we are wondering how calm the water is or if we should expect a lot of motion. We do have a couple that 

2:)  Does the ship provide any binoculars for guests to use while out on deck?

3:)  Does RCCL have naturalists and speakers onboard giving talks about Alaska and things to look for in terms of wildlife, etc.

1 hour ago, CruiszBug said:

Hi! I was on the cruise last week and the Northstar did run the first few days before it broke. Hopefully it is fixed for the cruisers this week!

Haven't seen it working yet 

4 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

We don't have anything locked and I let the ladies decide.  Here are some of the ideas.  The Pikes market place to watch them throwing the fish.  The ferris wheel and near it the aquarium.  The space needle 

I would skip the Space Needle and go to the Chihuly museum!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Ozark_Kid said:

@Ocean Boy some of my similar pictures are getting grouped.  It's like it is when live view is on but I have it off.  Do you know how to stop that.

I don't as I have never had it happen. I'll play with the camera when I get home to see if I can figure it out.

4 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I don't as I have never had it happen. I'll play with the camera when I get home to see if I can figure it out.

CC is messing with me.  I answer a post, it looks like it is post and then it's gone.  This may be a double answer.  

It just started last night and I don't think I changed anything. 

1 hour ago, waykaylincruz said:

Our travel group of 13 (aged 20-89) will be on the Ovation for the June 3rd sailing. We are so excited!!

However I do have a few questions:

1:)  Since this is our first Alaska cruise, we are wondering how calm the water is or if we should expect a lot of motion. We do have a couple that 

2:)  Does the ship provide any binoculars for guests to use while out on deck?

3:)  Does RCCL have naturalists and speakers onboard giving talks about Alaska and things to look for in terms of wildlife, etc.

No rock.  Smoothest we been on.  Can get very windy on deck.

We brought our on binoculars and have not seen any offered.

Not sure of #3.

• Like 3

On 5/14/2022 at 12:54 PM, Smartipantz said:

Hi Kid, Thanks so much for posting and answering questions for us!!  I'll be on this cruise June 3rd and really excited about it....especially after reading your posts.  If you can, can you post a shot of the entertainment schedule?  Thanks so much!!

We will be on that sailing, too! Getting excited!

Oh Ozark_Kid, thank you so much for this trip report!

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I think the worst thing about an Alaskan cruise is I would never close my eyes and take a nap as I'd be afraid that I'd miss something.

Another think everything looks so assume you load the phone with pics!  I still have plenty of room because I dumped all my photos and videos before we left.  After seeing what I see now I think all those zoom pics were not needed.

20220515_124629.jpg

• Like 1

Just now, Ozark_Kid said:

Another think everything looks so assume you load the phone with pics!  I still have plenty of room because I dumped all my photos and videos before we left.  After seeing what I see now I think all those zoom pics were not needed.

20220515_124629.jpg

CC did it again.   I TRIED to post about Sharon buying me boots for the trip.  I haven't wore boots for the last 40 years.  Much different than flip flops.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

We don't have anything locked and I let the ladies decide.  Here are some of the ideas.  The Pikes market place to watch them throwing the fish.  The ferris wheel and near it the aquarium.  The space needle 

Just be aware it's $35/person to go up the Space Needle.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

@Ocean Boy some of my similar pictures are getting grouped.  It's like it is when live view is on but I have it off.  Do you know how to stop that.

Do you have "location tags" turned on? Maybe that is how the phone knows to group things together?

1 minute ago, Ocean Boy said:

Do you have "location tags" turned on? Maybe that is how the phone knows to group things together?

I actually turned it off last week.  It has something to do with simular pics like snow caps.

1 hour ago, Ozark_Kid said:

CC did it again.   I TRIED to post about Sharon buying me boots for the trip.  I haven't wore boots for the last 40 years.  Much different than flip flops.

Those look nice. Keens?

16 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

I actually turned it off last week.  It has something to do with simular pics like snow caps.

I have an iPhone not a Samsung, but I'm guessing they are similar.  Make sure that you are looking at something like "all photos".  iPhone also does a bunch of different picture groupings based on albums, locations, dates, etc.  Viewing all photos ignores all of that and just shows you every photo separately.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

Since there is such contrast, about the only was is to use a flash.

Do you have the high dynamic range (hdr) setting turned on? This takes multiple shots of the same scene with some exposed for the bright background (highlights) and some exposed for the dark foreground images (shadows).  The phone then combines the best of these shots together for a single image that should have both the background and foreground properly exposed.  There are limits to this approach if the highlights are very bright or the shadows are very dark, but the latest phones are very good at these types of images.

It's more work, but you can shoot pictures in raw format and then manually edit them, including manually adjusting the highlights and the shadows.  It's amazing how much detail actually exists in the shadows if you save a picture in raw format rather than the highly compressed jpg format.  Samsung has a free app called Expert Raw that's a whole separate camera app.  It supposedly gives you these advanced editing capabilities.  I'm an iPhone guy so I haven't used it.  More info here.  Note that raw format files require a lot more storage space so unless you enjoy editing photos (I do), you'll probably only want to shoot a few shots that you may want to tweak before printing in raw format and just let the camera do its thing for the rest of your point and shoot pics.  I use the Adobe Lightroom Mobile app for the same capability.  I'm guessing LR Mobile is also available for an S22.

• Like 1

@Ozark_KidOK, I have the info for you. Open "Gallery". At the bottom make sure you select "pictures" not albums or stories. Now look at the top. See the square to the left of the search symbol and then the three vertical dots? Tapping the square turns grouping on and off.

• Thanks 1