The Daily for Friday 05/13/2022

richwmn

Today is Friday the 13th, Blame Someone Else Day, and Frog Jumping Day

You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one. I hope someday you'll join us. And the world will live as one.--John Lennon

Meal Suggestion for today - Brudet
Drink of the Day - Coconut Old Fashioned
Wine of the Day - Château Figeac 2018 Saint-Émilion Bordeaux
Destination of the Day - Arhus, Denmark

Ships With Passengers

At Sea

Noordam   Destination Victoria BC, Vancouver Island, BC Canada eta 05/14
Zaandam   Destination Boston, Massachuse eta 05/15

At Sea Pacific

Koningsdam   Destination Vancouver, BC Cana

Glacier Bay, Alaska

Nieuw Amsterdam   07:00 - 16:00

Haifa, IL

Oosterdam   08:00 - 23:00

Katakolon, Olympia, Greece

Nieuw Statendam   08:00 - 16:00

Rostock, DE

Rotterdam   07:00 - 15:00

Tracy Arm & Juneau, Alaska

Zuiderdam   13:00 - 22:00

Victoria BC, Vancouver Island, BC Canada

Eurodam   18:00 - 23:30

Ukrainian Refugee Housing

Rotterdam Waalhaven

Volendam  

Ships Without Passengers

Long Beach, CA US

Westerdam   Anchorage

0513World.thumb.png.62c329fab694e37c71a78087c161733d.png

• Like 28
  • Thanks 11

Good (very) early morning. Thank you for our Daily report. And to everyone else that contributes with wine, food, beverage, care & celebrations and of course pictures and memes. I love you all. 😘

• Like 29

Thanks for the daily report.  Happy Friday the 13th everyone.  Finally a warm day here!  Well I don’t like blame someone else day so I won’t be celebrating that. I do like frog jumping day, some of the contests are pretty amusing. Love the line from the Lennon song, knowing what happened shortly thereafter has always made the song seem slightly melancholic to me.  Not sure what the meal suggestion is so I’ll have to wait on that. I’d give the drink a go though. Haven’t been to today’s port and look forward to seeing the photos from it. Prayers for everyone on our prayer list.  Cheers to everyone celebrating happy events!

• Like 27

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

Another summery day here, high of 28C (82F).

I read here on Cruise Critic that our cruise on the Volendam is cancelled, so we're waiting to hear from our TA as what our options are.  We haven't received any notification from HAL yet.

Happy Friday the 13th.  Be careful out there.🤞

I don't like "Blame someone else day".  I think that happens too often.  People need to take responsibility for their own actions.

Frog jumping sounds like fun.

Love the quote.

The meal sounds good, looking forward to seeing the recipe.

I'll pass on the drink but hope  the wine is good and not too expensive.

Another port I have not visited.  Thanks in advance for pictures.

Have a wonderful day.

Stay safe.

• Like 27

Thank you for the Friday the 13th Daily, Rich.  I'd love to blame someone else but it isn't always possible.  Frog Jumping sounds kind of whimsical.  I love the song lyric.  I'll need to see what @dfish has to say about the meal.  My alternative is Apple and Pear Gazpacho with Passion Fruit Sorbet, Oven Roasted Beef Ternderloin with Button Mushrooms, and Key Lime and White Chocolate Tart, my Mariner Brunch choices on my Veendam Bermuda cruise that began May 14, 2016.  I have not been to Arhus.

Today’s care list:

Mr. Boston’s neighbor sudden death
1Angelcat facing expensive medicines
Lady Hudson SIL back in hospital with infection
Marshhawk DH mouth pain
Heartgrove older sister in hospice nearing the end
Heartgrove DDIL with covid while Heartgrove needs to visit older sister
From the rotation:
Strength, peace, and healing for kazu
Ukraine
msmayor’s daughter struggling with motherhood
St, Louis Sal with weakening legs and panic attacks

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Volendam housing refugees
All but 1 BHB with guests
Horizon Chaser 1957 nephew helping with sister’s 50th Anniversary
Welcome Home Cruzin Terri
smitty34877 DD good result  knee surgery
Surgery set for dfish 1 June
Ancientwanderer (Eurodam to 5/14),   leafsnation (Noordam to 5/15), St Pete Cruiser (Wind Surf to 5/17) and Lady Hudson (Oasis OTS 5/8 to 5/22)  at sea
Koningsdan Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 30
  • Thanks 6

Happy Friday!  Very early rise and shine for me to start hauling plants to the front of the garage.    I think the frogs are jumping behind my house I hear them croaking all the time.   A great quote from JL and so true for these days.   I will wait for the meal, the drink sounds tasty.  Today's wine is a dandy.   It will not be too cheap I am sure.   I have never been to Denmark.    

Prayers for all on Roy's care list, the remaining souls in Mariupol and all the people in Easter Europe affected by Putin's war.   🙏

• Like 25

Coconut Old Fashioned:

Ingredients
2 parts Cruzan® Single Barrel Rum
1/2 part Simple Syrup
3 dashes Bitters
Coconut Water Ice Cubes
Orange Peel

Instructions
Cut a wide swath of orange peel and lightly press it in the bottom of a rocks glass. Add rum, syrup and bitters. Now drop in a few Coconut Water Ice Cubes and stir gently.
Coconut Water Ice Cubes Recipe: Pour a can of Coconut Water (strain the pulp out first, if needed) in an ice cube tray- the bigger the cube tray the better and freeze for several hours.

Screen Shot 2022-05-13 at 7.29.24 AM.png

• Like 19
  • Thanks 6

Good morning friends!  We're cloudy this morning and may see some rain drops here and there later on.  High of 77F.  I am so unprepared for my May 26 cruise that it's making me have upset stomach.  I need to figure out what to do first and do it!  

But first let me thank Rich @richwmnfor posting this Daily.  Friday the 13th is considered a lucky day in our family because DH was born on Friday the 13th.  I'm sure I won't be seeing any frog jumping today.  Blame someone else day sounds pretty selfish though it happens all the time.  I'm not sure what brudet is but I'm sure Debbie will let us know.  Thank you Roy @rafinmdfor the Lists this morning.  Prayers said for all on our list, the people of Ukraine and all who help them, and my nieces and nephews.  I should ask today how all are doing since I've gotten no reports in days.  That must mean they're better.  Cheers to all celebrating and I hope we can add to that list.

I've been to Arhus, Denmark so will post the photos from the last time we had that port, May 2, 2021.

Have a great day everybody!

We visited Arhus (sometimes spelled Aarhus), Denmark in September 2011 on the Emerald Princess.  The cruise began with a Baltic cruise which we thoroughly enjoyed, followed by the British Isles, Iceland, Qaqortoq Greenland, Halifax and back to Ft. Lauderdale.  

It was a bright, chilly morning on Sept. 9, 2011 when our ship stopped in Arhus.  We enjoyed our walk through the town.  We saw this lovely canal running through the town.enhance

People liked to gather on the sunny side to dine.  I can't blame them.  It looks lovely!enhance

We made our way to a Viking Museum which was located underneath a bank.  Yes, really.enhance

As you walk down the stairs you see the levels with the years associated with that level.enhance

This thatched hut in the museum is a copy of a hut which was in that spot in Viking days, all discovered during excavation for the bank.enhance

Someone's bones found here in their final resting place.enhance

enhance

Then we saw this church called the Arhus Cathedral.enhance

It had some very unique features inside.  Like this Viking ship.enhance

And quite a fancy baptismal font I would say.enhance

enhance

enhance

Arhus is a great port to see.  I wish more ships would add these interesting places.enhance

• Like 28
  • Thanks 9

Thank you for our Daily, Rich! Morning everyone. Another spectacular morning here. Early mani - pedi for me. Then I need to get out in the yard. The winds from this week’s Nor’easter brought down a lot of stuff. 

Thank you for keeping our lists, Roy.  @dfish   Debbie 🤞🏻 and praying that the gall bladder is the culprit. 

I suspect a few of us are guilty of this…

1D2303FC-DFC7-42D2-9FD4-7C1E8C431615.jpeg.f01bd9227e85ce3e1d1101cf74f90ccd.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Château Figeac 2018 Saint-Émilion Bordeaux

Though this wine sounds amazing, and I would love a taste, it is way outside of my price range. The winemaker’s notes sound almost poetic.  Spectacular ratings and several online distributors with prices starting at $176.97.

Winemaker Notes

An attractive, deep, bright, purple color. An expressive, air-light nose leads on to Figeac freshness and aromatics, followed by floral notes mingling harmoniously with nuances of fruit and underpinned by aromas of blackcurrants and raspberries. The palate is expressive and vibrant, cadenced by a clean powerful entry, an enveloping and velvety mid-palate reminiscent of 2015 vintage, and a fresh, lean finish accompanied by tannins of a finesse and minerality that recall the 2016 vintage. The greatness of this vintage is embodied by the amazing harmony between the round and eveloping Merlot, the fresh and elegant Cabernet Franc, and the lace-textured, tender Cabernet Sauvignon. The Chateau Figeac 2018 delivers here the perfect chord from its famous three grape varieties.

Blend: 37% Merlot, 33% Cabernet Sauvignon, 30% Cabernet Franc

WE100 Wine Enthusiast

With its rich swathe of Cabernet Sauvignon, this wine has density and immense structure balanced by stunning black fruits that give impressive promise. This powerful wine is probably the greatest ever produced from this estate. Drink from 2027. Cellar Selection

JS98 James Suckling

A powerful, structured Figeac, offering loads of blackberry, blueberry, chocolate, walnut and mushroom with some tobacco. It’s full-bodied with layered, chewy tannins that are polished and beautiful. So impressive and solid. Better than the great 2010? Time will tell. Goes on for a long time. Try after 2026.

D98 Decanter
Back to a more traditional blend after last year's frost impact, Figeac has done a wonderful job of harnessing the opulence of the vintage while maintaining freshness. This is extremely focussed and precise, with a silky texture and inky depths, developing complexity as the flavours unfurl. These are big tannins but they steal up on you, doing that subtle creep that's such a marker of the vintage. Powerful, utterly gorgeous and clearly a wine that will age well, this is equal to the estate's excellent 2016. Barrel Sample: 98
JD98 Jeb Dunnuck

Reminiscent of the 2016 with its incredible purity and elegance, the 2018 Château Figeac offers a terrific perfume of crème de cassis, redcurrants, dried earth, tobacco, lead pencil, spring flowers, and exotic spice-driven nuances. Playing in the medium to full-bodied end of the spectrum, it's flawlessly balanced, has silky, polished tannins, and a stunning sense of purity. It doesn't have the sexiness of the 2015, but it's very much in the style of the 2018 vintage with its pure, elegant, haut couture-like style. And it doesn't show a hint of its 100% new oak élevage. Give bottles 4-5 years of bottle age and enjoy over the following 20-30 years. It's not the biggest or richest Saint- Emilion, yet the balance, finesse, and elegance are something to behold. I think it's going to check in behind the 2015 (and maybe the 2019) when all is said and done, but it's unquestionably one of the greatest Figeac in the past 20-30 years.

RP97 Robert Parker's Wine Advocate

The 2018 Figeac is composed of 37% Merlot, 33% Cabernet Sauvignon and 30% Cabernet Franc, with a 3.7 pH and 14% alcohol. Deep garnet-purple in color, it soars out of the glass with opening notes of freshly crushed red and black cherries, mulberries and ripe, juicy plums, followed by hints of violets, damp soil, cedar chest, crushed rocks and pencil shavings. The medium-bodied, elegantly styled palate features bags of freshness and exquisitely ripe, beautifully poised tannins to support the bright, energetic black and red fruit layers, finishing on a lingering fragrant earth note. Rating: 97+

WS96 Wine Spectator

Sleek and tightly focused, this is a racy style marked by a pure beam of cassis and cherry purée and infused with red tea, bergamot and bay hints. Very fresh and refined through the finish, with a long chalky thread lingering after everything else. Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon and Cabernet Franc. Best from 2024 through 2038.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 4

Good morning  to all.It is quite cloudy this morning and humid again.I don't  like the idea of blaming someone else  and appreciate  the John Lennon quote.DS lives in a very wooded area and I have seen the frogs jumping,especially at dusk.

We have been to the port and I remember walking around a pretty area.It was our first trip to Europe and we were on the Eurodam.

DD  managed her 18 steps to her living room and bedroom portion of her house fairly well.We sent her some of the caprese quesedillas for dinner.I added chicken to DH's and to our resident teenager's  plates and everyone was happy. Thank you Debbie!

@dfish,I am glad your surgery will be soon and the situation will hopefully  be resolved regarding your ongoing pain.

Have a lovely day

Terry

Edited by smitty34877
spelling
  • Like 28

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily report.  Today is another beautiful day here in New England, last night I slept with the windows open!  I’ll wait for @dfish recipes for today’s meal suggestion.

My miniature panther decided that 3:30 was the purrfect time for pets.  She purred into my ear until I gave in.

image.png.7c39bb937c0cc07d8af6338e20cccacd.png

• Like 29

12 minutes ago, Cruise Suzy said:

FYI for @kazu The May 13 Future Cruise Listing is closed. The April 29 FCL is not.

Oh for crying out loud (I won’t say what other word came out of my mouth 😉). It IS Friday the 13th, right?  Thanks.  

• Like 11
  • Haha 13

Good morning, everyone.  

It is another bright sun shiny day here in northeast Ohio with warm temperatures.   While it is nice to have the windows open for fresh air, it does let all that pollen in the house and tree pollen is high today.  

Brudet is Croatian Fish Stew.   I'm saving this recipe for this fall.  Today is fish and veggies on the grill.   This first recipe is an easy one.  Just be sure to not overcook the fish.  https://food52.com/recipes/33443-brudet-croatian-seafood-stew

1605340073_brudet1.thumb.jpg.32a3c2f700d60bb28a17eaeeea94d237.jpg

Brudet is a hearty fish stew from the Dalmatia region of Croatia, similar to Greek Bourdeto and Italian Brodetto. The recipes for all three are similar but there’s something unique about each of them. The Croatian version of the recipe is a one-pot dish that consists of marinating some fish and throwing all of the other ingredients in the stew at the right time. Traditionally, the dish is made of a mixture of fishes, most commonly eel, coral trout, scorpionfish, or rockling (but any white fish would do) alongside some shrimps, scamps, and mussels.  https://thefoodhog.com/brudet-recipe/

1966219805_brudet2.jpeg.be0386b3b283569377f25666fc0c7dec.jpeg

And one more version for good measure.  https://www.chasingthedonkey.com/croatian-cooking-brodet-fish-stew/

1283118794_brudet3.jpg.9e5373972b3b77ad7c13370811c82f1b.jpg

Prayers for all who need them, especially Ukraine and our Daily family members.  Cheers to those who are celebrating.   Wishing everyone a great day.

• Like 26
  • Thanks 7

@StLouisCruisers Sandi, thank you for the photos of Arhus.  You certainly saw much more than we did as we were doing our usual food and drink exploration.  We were there on April 28, 2019, during a TA on Regal Princess (FLL to Copenhagen).

Interesting concept -- have seen bikes, cars, scooters, etc. but never umbrellas.

DSC00665.thumb.jpg.e0e41d449ae606c156908982298e0306.jpg

One of our destinations was the Salling department store for lunch on their rooftop.  They also have this cantilevered observation walk.

DSC00666.thumb.jpg.db62f5b1949e0715aa56721ce3f53687.jpg

The rooftop restaurant

DSCF3756.thumb.jpg.71774de196cb2d1e81ccfbb0315ce6ff.jpg

Live entertainment

DSCF3757.thumb.jpg.b4cdbf10eb6256cc53e0179dc10515a1.jpg

DH enjoying the view from our table

DSCF3758.thumb.jpg.311f348c3faebfbf374f86d66c45a94a.jpg

Ahh, liquid refreshment

DSCF3759.thumb.jpg.f7679326b65fac66f2904a7c7471e2b6.jpg

Had to try smorrebrod (open-face sandwiches on dense dark bread) 😋

DSCF3760.thumb.jpg.10358433a53fc02d74a128dcee241aa6.jpg

It wasn't very good 🤣

DSCF3761.thumb.jpg.062ce0ebb5eeff98994e75946ce5101c.jpg

After lunch we walked out on the observation platform, this is the view toward the sea

DSC00671.thumb.jpg.cdd714fd353d0fa4bbbca712d9aba8c6.jpg

Next stop was Aarhus Street Food - an indoor food truck mall

DSCF3769.thumb.jpg.f7efe5c4a46b8aa71a72ebf5f053f42c.jpg

This is just part of one aisle!

DSCF3770.thumb.jpg.f4a9c48ca7fbaa7aef7ec32839e60b38.jpg

This was our destination -- duck fat fries 

DSCF3774.thumb.jpg.68a3ad63f146ac50ecb4d160498ebc22.jpg

DSCF3772.thumb.jpg.5b481583f3c1096198c020ac54f772ca.jpg

Interesting sculptures as we neared the dock

DSCF3775.thumb.jpg.6ba4c22b062ef24b89b3a23109ddefa8.jpg

DSCF3778.thumb.jpg.8ca5e9fa9f4dd92e583e53cf03ccb981.jpg

DSCF3776.thumb.jpg.5615a48e6e25101474bad2f421ea9bfa.jpg

We were serenaded by a local school band as we sailed away

DSCF3779.thumb.jpg.000c6af33c84ddc17654918335f98c5b.jpg

Kay

• Like 30
  • Thanks 8

Good Morning!  A very cloudy day today, chance or rain?  It's not the rain I question, it's the chance.

In Celebration of Jumping frogs- Or if you are into Formula 1 (the porpoise-ing effect)

9cc526e4350615a0718ef4346805800c.jpg

I had 4 sales yesterday, two in each campaign, and I was thanked by Hollywood Bowl, and asked to come back next year.  And while I did complain about the hours, I am looking forward to returning to something I know.

Today, we are "off", DH goes back to the oncologist, we run a few errands, and work a few hours...(OFF).  But for now-I have to read @dfish's recipes and do some excursion research but nothing will happen because-

2a15bc8316d1c05259532213744ed4b6.jpg

• Like 27
  • Haha 4

Good morning from central Texas.  It is sunny and not windy for now.  We should reach a high in the 90sF today.

I try to admit my mistakes and not blame others.  Jumping frog day is interesting and reminds me of the Mark Twain story about the jumping frogs.  I hope Friday the 13th is not bad luck for anyone.  

The lyrics from John Lennon's song "Imagine" are even truer today than when he wrote them.

We'll pass on the meal and the drink.  The wine sounds nice but is very pricey.

We have been to Arhus twice, and I will look for my pictures that I shared last May.

@cat shepard  Ann, your meme is very true.  I have pictures of a couple of cats and a dog taken on our last visit to Ephesus.

@smitty34877  Terry, that is good news that your DD managed the steps fairly well.

@marshhawk  Ann, congratulations on the sales yesterday.  Hope the oncologist has some answers for your DH.

Lenda

• Like 26
  • Thanks 2

Good afternoon.

Thank you for today's daily and fleet reports Rich and Roy for the various lists.

Interesting days and quote.

Prayers 🙏 for everyone on the care list.

I hope everyone is well.

Graham.

IMG_20220513_094951.jpg

IMG_20220513_094851.jpg

IMG_20220513_094910.jpg

• Like 32

40 minutes ago, kb4683 said:

@StLouisCruisers Sandi, thank you for the photos of Arhus.  You certainly saw much more than we did as we were doing our usual food and drink exploration.  We were there on April 28, 2019, during a TA on Regal Princess (FLL to Copenhagen).

Interesting concept -- have seen bikes, cars, scooters, etc. but never umbrellas.

DSC00665.thumb.jpg.e0e41d449ae606c156908982298e0306.jpg

One of our destinations was the Salling department store for lunch on their rooftop.  They also have this cantilevered observation walk.

DSC00666.thumb.jpg.db62f5b1949e0715aa56721ce3f53687.jpg

The rooftop restaurant

DSCF3756.thumb.jpg.71774de196cb2d1e81ccfbb0315ce6ff.jpg

Live entertainment

DSCF3757.thumb.jpg.b4cdbf10eb6256cc53e0179dc10515a1.jpg

DH enjoying the view from our table

DSCF3758.thumb.jpg.311f348c3faebfbf374f86d66c45a94a.jpg

Ahh, liquid refreshment

DSCF3759.thumb.jpg.f7679326b65fac66f2904a7c7471e2b6.jpg

Had to try smorrebrod (open-face sandwiches on dense dark bread) 😋

DSCF3760.thumb.jpg.10358433a53fc02d74a128dcee241aa6.jpg

It wasn't very good 🤣

DSCF3761.thumb.jpg.062ce0ebb5eeff98994e75946ce5101c.jpg

After lunch we walked out on the observation platform, this is the view toward the sea

DSC00671.thumb.jpg.cdd714fd353d0fa4bbbca712d9aba8c6.jpg

Next stop was Aarhus Street Food - an indoor food truck mall

DSCF3769.thumb.jpg.f7efe5c4a46b8aa71a72ebf5f053f42c.jpg

This is just part of one aisle!

DSCF3770.thumb.jpg.f4a9c48ca7fbaa7aef7ec32839e60b38.jpg

This was our destination -- duck fat fries 

DSCF3774.thumb.jpg.68a3ad63f146ac50ecb4d160498ebc22.jpg

DSCF3772.thumb.jpg.5b481583f3c1096198c020ac54f772ca.jpg

Interesting sculptures as we neared the dock

DSCF3775.thumb.jpg.6ba4c22b062ef24b89b3a23109ddefa8.jpg

DSCF3778.thumb.jpg.8ca5e9fa9f4dd92e583e53cf03ccb981.jpg

DSCF3776.thumb.jpg.5615a48e6e25101474bad2f421ea9bfa.jpg

We were serenaded by a local school band as we sailed away

DSCF3779.thumb.jpg.000c6af33c84ddc17654918335f98c5b.jpg

Kay

You two had quite the appetizing stop at Arhus!  And can you imagine "sharing umbrella" stands in our big cities?  Uh, no!  Some folks would use them as weapons. IMO.  

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Good morning everyone. The temps are warming up but rain is predicted for today and the weekend. Now that my desk and the surrounding are are free from papers after the clean up and throw out yesterday, I have room to get to the computer. 
I don’t think anyone should blame anyone else for anything. We should all take responsibility for our actions. I love the quote from John Lennon.Just imagine.
Prayers for all on our lists and for the people of Ukraine. I haven’t been able to use what’s app to correspond with my daughter’s former Russian nanny. I wonder how much news and internet they are getting.

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

• Like 24