Booking multiple staterooms

Hello! We're looking at booking 3 staterooms for a family vacation - one for us, the other two are for both of our parents.

My first questions is- should I book all 3 staterooms under one reservation? Or book them under separate and link them later? Its a surprise for them so we don't want to see what we're paying for the whole thing (their room is fine), and we want them to be able to reserve their activities as they please, add on a drink package if they want, etc. 

Second question would be- if either of them are unable to attend for any reason, how would the refund work (since we're paying for it all) for both scenarios. Would there be a way to transfer the credits to our stateroom/booking?

I called RCL's customer service line and I'm not sure they understood what I was saying. Thanks in advance!

54 minutes ago, lovinthesea89 said:

Would there be a way to transfer the credits to our stateroom/booking?

You’ll have three bookings with three separate numbers - you can pay for all of them. The refund would come back to your card since that’s what they have on file for the booking. 

• Like 1

We booked 5 staterooms for our upcoming cruise in June.  We did get different booking numbers for all of them.  The only problem that we had was when there was a price drop and they wouldn't adjust the other cabins since my name wasn't on the room.  My family all had to call in and note that I could make changes to "their" reservation (even though I was paying for them all).  I was able to link them all for making dining reservations and make cruise planner purchases.  We booked so long ago that there hasn't been a price drop since the one back in November....so I haven't had to call again to see if it worked. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, lovinthesea89 said:

Hello! We're looking at booking 3 staterooms for a family vacation - one for us, the other two are for both of our parents.

My first questions is- should I book all 3 staterooms under one reservation? Or book them under separate and link them later? Its a surprise for them so we don't want to see what we're paying for the whole thing (their room is fine), and we want them to be able to reserve their activities as they please, add on a drink package if they want, etc. 

Second question would be- if either of them are unable to attend for any reason, how would the refund work (since we're paying for it all) for both scenarios. Would there be a way to transfer the credits to our stateroom/booking?

I called RCL's customer service line and I'm not sure they understood what I was saying. Thanks in advance!

Each cabin gets its own reservation number.  There is no way to put multiple cabins on one reservation.

Only if you book a refundable deposit will the money come back to you.  If you book the cheaper NRD fare and cancel there is a $100pp fee and the balance of the deposit gets issued as an FCC in the guests name.

• Like 1

I booked six cabins for a family cruise this summer.  My TA took care of it all, only I know what I paid and they can each book there own tours, dinners, etc..  It was put on my credit card so any refund for cabins will come to me.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, arlodog said:

We booked 5 staterooms for our upcoming cruise in June.  We did get different booking numbers for all of them.  The only problem that we had was when there was a price drop and they wouldn't adjust the other cabins since my name wasn't on the room.  My family all had to call in and note that I could make changes to "their" reservation (even though I was paying for them all).  I was able to link them all for making dining reservations and make cruise planner purchases.  We booked so long ago that there hasn't been a price drop since the one back in November....so I haven't had to call again to see if it worked. 

I haven't found this to be true. I book and pay for everything for our extended family's cabins (usually 3-4 of them) and besides linking them together I note that I am the owner of the reservations. No trouble when calling in to reprice when I see a drop in cruise fare. 

19 hours ago, Ashland said:

I haven't found this to be true. I book and pay for everything for our extended family's cabins (usually 3-4 of them) and besides linking them together I note that I am the owner of the reservations. No trouble when calling in to reprice when I see a drop in cruise fare. 

I wasn't aware that you could retain ownership of the reservations--now I know!  My kids all had to call and allow that.  I think it is important that people know if you have multiple cabins to keep ownership in case you need to make any changes.  

3 hours ago, arlodog said:

I wasn't aware that you could retain ownership of the reservations--now I know!  My kids all had to call and allow that.  I think it is important that people know if you have multiple cabins to keep ownership in case you need to make any changes.  

Glad I could offer you this detail. Have a great cruise with your kids.

9 hours ago, arlodog said:

I wasn't aware that you could retain ownership of the reservations

There's not really any "ownership" of a booking - anyone who has the booking number and the name can call RCI/TA and make changes.

On 5/14/2022 at 11:04 PM, FLHugh said:

It was put on my credit card so any refund for cabins will come to me

Refunds yes but if you booked a NRD rate then refunds come as an FCC and those go the the people listed on the booking regardless of who paid.

3 hours ago, FLHugh said:

How do you get a Refund on a Non Refundable Deposit?

As indicated by Ken there is no refund on a NRD.  But rather than keep the full value of your deposit and put you in a position to lose it all, they keep a $100 pp penalty - which is the amount you do lose - and issue the balance as an FCC (which has T&C's) in the original booked passengers names.  The goal being that they will rebook another cruise with that value.  

I currently have 3 cabins booked for one cruise. When I booked, I made all 3 reservations. When I pull up my planner, i can see all 3 reservations and interact with them. My daughter is in one of the booked rooms, and when she signs in with her account, she can see her planner and make purchases, but she can also see the price details.

8 hours ago, Biker19 said:

There's not really any "ownership" of a booking - anyone who has the booking number and the name can call RCI/TA and make changes.

They used to ask...I know they did because I have been...perhaps they don't any longer.

2 hours ago, Ashland said:

They used to ask...I know they did because I have been...perhaps they don't any longer.

Pretty sure RC doesn't have any voice recognition or other means to confirm the identity of the person calling - again, anyone can call and say they are (even if RCI asks) the "owner" of the booking (assuming you have all of the details of it).