Not quite LIVE but reporting regularly, Adventure of the Seas, May 21-31, 2022

A damp chilly morning approaching Halifax but I see clear skies ahead on the bow cam.

Day 8, Saturday, May 28, 2022, Bar Harbor, Maine

While normally up about 5AM I slept until 5:45.  It was a chilly, foggy morning.  Breakfast started about7 with an omelet from the WJ, about the time Bar Harbor was starting to come into view.

I was fairly late getting started as my church men’s group has a monthly get-together the last Saturday of the month, originally in our mall but on Zoom since covid.  It was about 11 when I was ready to go ashore and went down to Boleros to collect a tender ticket.  I was called about 11:30 and it was after 12 when I arrived in town.

I’ve been to Bar Harbor many times and my plans were just to walk around town a bit heading up the hill to the town green.

bhgreen.jpg

I walked past the fire station at the far end of the green and did some wifi checking outside the library.

bhfd.jpg

It’s probably not a good idea to do desert first but there are times.  I thought I remembered nice ice cream in Bar Harbor and I saw several places, choosing “Big Dipper”, across from the green for some tantalizing Wild Blueberry.

blueberry.jpg

I’ve traveled enough that I don’t buy many souvenirs.  My one exception is wall calendars, a pretty sight during the year that I’m perfectly willing to unload in due time.  I found a nice Maine Lighthouses calendar in a bookstore.  On the way back to the dock I made a bit of a circle around the picturesque harbor.

bhdocks.jpg

Bar Harbor this year has put new restrictions on cruise ships that they must anchor out of sight behind Bar Island.  Since Adventure does not have proper tenders, several local sightseeing boats to ferry passengers ashore.  My boat ashore was a whalewatch vessel with 3 decks.  Fearing the weather I stayed in a cabin on the bottom level where I did not see a lot.  The return trip was on a boat used for lighthouse tours with just 2 levels and had found the weather a lot nicer than expected so I took a seat on the open top deck.  I did not catch a glimpse of Adventure at anchor until almost the end of the journey.

tendersbh.jpg

The rest of my lunch was pizza from Café Promenade.  I was pretty tired after the shore time and did not do a lot more until dinner.

lunch28.jpg

There were again 5 of us at Table 422.  My choices were (Kids) Fruit Salad, Lasagna al Forno, and Coconut Layer Cake.

dishes28.jpg

I did not do a lot after dinner other than a cookie run up to the WJ.

Roy

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

9 hours ago, Blur said:

Form?  Also doing b2b on this cruise and didn't get a letter either.  Asked guest services and they said I'll get a letter last night?

12 hours ago, Nabalab said:

Hi Roy,

Thanks for your updates, I’ve been following along.  On Adventure now, on the first half of a B2B.  How did you receive the “consecutive cruiser” letter?  

We asked Guest Services on Day 1, they said we should receive it in our stateroom on Day 3 (today).

We didn’t receive it and our stateroom attendant seems to have no clue what a B2B (or a consecutive cruise) is!  Just an aloof confused look.  So we got the form from guest services. 

Thank you!

I definitely got the letter on day 3.  I would recommend checking with guest services and telling them you didn't get a letter and making sure they have you listed for the B2B.

Roy

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

I definitely got the letter on day 3.  I would recommend checking with guest services and telling them you didn't get a letter and making sure they have you listed for the B2B.

Roy

Thanks, we got the letter from guest services yesterday (Day 3) and he did confirm we were B2B.  It was odd though because even he wasn’t certain about B2B’s either… even some follow up questions, he was all “look at the letter, it’s all in the letter, etc” (psst… he had no idea what was in the letter!)

Also had no idea that ships had to anchor behind Bar Island.  I was wondering, because on Anthem in 2016, the ship was visible.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Last time we were on Adventure was 2011 but we have been on almost every Royal Caribbean ship and every P&O ship and there has been a bathroom night light on them all.

Personally I wish there wasn't a night light but my wife prefers it.

I am really enjoying Roy's live from review.

Graham.

Not on adventure in junior suites.  On it now

Edited by Cruise a holic
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

It was about 11 when I was ready to go ashore and went down to Boleros to collect a tender ticket.  I was called about 11:30 and it was after 12 when I arrived in town.

32 minutes ago, Cruise a holic said:

Very disappointing cruise.  We had to line up for tender tickets for maine.  Over 1500 people on line in promenade.  We are still experiencing covid.  No attempt at social distancing.  So poorly organized.  

We had to tender in Grand Cayman from Adventure and found the procedure well organized but I guess that was because we were the only ship in port and Grand Cayman has proper tenders. 

How full is the sailing this week? Weren’t you able to get tender tickets from Diamond/suite concierge -  that has always been the procedure in the past?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

We had to tender in Grand Cayman from Adventure and found the procedure well organized but I guess that was because we were the only ship in port and Grand Cayman has proper tenders. 

How full is the sailing this week? Weren’t you able to get tender tickets from Diamond/suite concierge -  that has always been the procedure in the past?

Ship close to capacity.  No tickets from diamond concierge.  Horrible. We stayed onboard. We didn’t want to stand in a crowded line for two hours

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Cruise a holic said:

Ship close to capacity.  No tickets from diamond concierge.  Horrible. We stayed onboard. We didn’t want to stand in a crowded line for two hours

I am sorry you didn’t get ashore if that had been your intention. I am following this thread as we have a cruise to these ports booked for next year and am looking for information.

In my experience, on previous sailings with tenders there has always been a line for tickets early on - the line beginning to form well before tickets are even distributed. Unless we had an early independent excursion booked we would never bother with lining up early and would have a leisurely breakfast. Generally after the initial rush there is no line for tickets, or tickets are not even needed.

It didn’t sound like @rafinmd waited too long for his ticket. This would probably be our plan too depending on how long we wanted to be ashore, if we couldn’t just pick up from a concierge.

I assume those with ship excursions didn’t need to line up for tender tickets.

Edited by c-leg5

3 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

Very disappointing cruise.  We had to line up for tender tickets for maine.  Over 1500 people on line in promenade.  We are still experiencing covid.  No attempt at social distancing.  So poorly organized.  

My wife and I have primarily masked indoors during this sailing.  

This morning, we jump on an elevator with a family of three.  Goes down one deck… then EIGHT more people get on.  Even though we were masked, we got off and took the stairs.  It is what it is.

I’m not disappointed in the cruise… just “first world problem” shocked; meaning that the last 6 cruises we’ve been on were either Oasis or Quantum class, with more options?  Not sure if that’s the word for it.

And oh yeah…. Capacity… about 80%.  We asked earlier in the sailing.  Assumed more because it’s a holiday sailing. 

Edited by Nabalab
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Roy

To follow up, since I already responded to this previously - the B2B letter was outside our door this morning.  It even had our names on it 🙂

Thanks again.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Nabalab said:

To follow up, since I already responded to this previously - the B2B letter was outside our door this morning.  It even had our names on it 🙂

Thanks again.

Just got my b2b letter in my cabin today as well.  Two questions since this is my first b2b.

I heard we can leave stuff on hangers for cabin move... Is this still valid on adventure?

Also I have both key lunch and b2b lunch available... Which one would you do?  (I've done key lunch before about 3x so know what to expect but not the b2b).  I do the key when sailing solo mainly for extra flowrider time... before people jump on me for wasting money on key 😉.

Key lunch from embarkation.. sorry ate before I remembered to take a picture.

Branzino

PXL_20220526_161033914.thumb.jpg.9f0fe89723fd8a0394a6fa68cb6e4f01.jpg

Also food and service has been excellent on adventure so far.  The only issue I've seen is long lines from people waiting to be seated for dining.  I am guessing they are choosing to make people wait in line and provide better service and food once seated vs seat everyone and provide mediocre food and service with less staff.

Edited by Blur
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Blur said:

Just got my b2b letter in my cabin today as well.  Two questions since this is my first b2b.

I heard we can leave stuff on hangers for cabin move... Is this still valid on adventure?

Also I have both key lunch and b2b lunch available... Which one would you do?  (I've done key lunch before about 3x so know what to expect but not the b2b).  I do the key when sailing solo mainly for extra flowrider time... before people jump on me for wasting money on key 😉.

I'm not sure but I think it's the same lunch if the key lunch is listed for noon.  I seemed to be lining up at the same place as the key people.

Roy

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Blur said:

This is our first B2B as well… in the same cabin for both.  I *think* (?) I read somewhere they will move your luggage, as well as the clothes on hangers - if you are in a diff cabin.  Hopefully someone can jump in with better info.

Since it seems The Key lunch is the same place as the B2B lunch, not sure if there is a difference in menu. Probably not?

Edited by Nabalab

1 minute ago, Nabalab said:

This is our first B2B as well… in the same cabin for both.  I *think* (?) I read somewhere they will move your luggage, as well as the clothes on hangers - if you are in a diff cabin.  Hopefully someone can jump in with better info.

Where is The Key lunch?  If a specialty restaurant, that’s probably better than the MDR (where the B2B lunch is). 

Key lunch is a very limited chops menu... Basically filet, burger, or branzino.  I think the b2b menu is different that's why I asked if anyone knew if it was better or just had more options lol.

6 minutes ago, Blur said:

Key lunch is a very limited chops menu... Basically filet, burger, or branzino.  I think the b2b menu is different that's why I asked if anyone knew if it was better or just had more options lol.

Here's the menu from my Consecutive Cruisers Lunch.  I'll leave the comparisons to your judgement:

IMG_0341.JPG.980eb58ba687b8222994b6b427a31fdb.JPG

IMG_0342.JPG.51f1fb3520f28bfae3d5e124f24df01d.JPG

Roy

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, c-leg5 said:

I am sorry you didn’t get ashore if that had been your intention. I am following this thread as we have a cruise to these ports booked for next year and am looking for information.

In my experience, on previous sailings with tenders there has always been a line for tickets early on - the line beginning to form well before tickets are even distributed. Unless we had an early independent excursion booked we would never bother with lining up early and would have a leisurely breakfast. Generally after the initial rush there is no line for tickets, or tickets are not even needed.

It didn’t sound like @rafinmd waited too long for his ticket. This would probably be our plan too depending on how long we wanted to be ashore, if we couldn’t just pick up from a concierge.

I assume those with ship excursions didn’t need to line up for tender tickets.

I have a feeling  for a ship this large without it's own tenders, getting ashore early is not going to go well.  I was in no rush to get ashore and walked right up to the desk to get a ticket but know there were lines earlier.  Part of the problem is that the boats used in Bar Harbor are quite large holding several hundred people.  I know the second number called was only about 10 minutes after the first but then things slowed down dramatically, with 25-30 minutes elapsed with each tender, and with the alternating locations it meant that boats arrived at each platform at intervals of 45 minutes or more.

I was among the first people to board the last ticketed tender and it felt like a very LONG wait until we had everyone on board and could start our journey to shore.  There was another hold in town as the previous tender had not yet finished transferring passengers and leaving our dock.

Things were quite smooth for my return to the ship but I was early.  The last tender was supposed to be 4:15 but there were still tenders clearing Bar Island when I went to dinner at 5:30 and the actual ride is probably 20 minutes so I expect there was a long line of passengers waiting for additional boats at 4:15.

I'll be curious to see how this compares this summer with my experience on Queen Mary 2 which carries her own tenders.  On that visit I do have definite time sensitive plans to get ashore so I won't be as patient  as I was yesterday.

Roy

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Here's the menu from my Consecutive Cruisers Lunch.  I'll leave the comparisons to your judgement:

IMG_0341.JPG.980eb58ba687b8222994b6b427a31fdb.JPG

IMG_0342.JPG.51f1fb3520f28bfae3d5e124f24df01d.JPG

Roy

I sure do like that short rib!  Yeah that's def a different menu.  I am not a filet fan and the burger is only ok.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rafinmd said:

I have a feeling  for a ship this large without it's own tenders, getting ashore early is not going to go well.  I was in no rush to get ashore and walked right up to the desk to get a ticket but know there were lines earlier.  Part of the problem is that the boats used in Bar Harbor are quite large holding several hundred people.  I know the second number called was only about 10 minutes after the first but then things slowed down dramatically, with 25-30 minutes elapsed with each tender, and with the alternating locations it meant that boats arrived at each platform at intervals of 45 minutes or more.

I was among the first people to board the last ticketed tender and it felt like a very LONG wait until we had everyone on board and could start our journey to shore.  There was another hold in town as the previous tender had not yet finished transferring passengers and leaving our dock.

Things were quite smooth for my return to the ship but I was early.  The last tender was supposed to be 4:15 but there were still tenders clearing Bar Island when I went to dinner at 5:30 and the actual ride is probably 20 minutes so I expect there was a long line of passengers waiting for additional boats at 4:15.

I'll be curious to see how this compares this summer with my experience on Queen Mary 2 which carries her own tenders.  On that visit I do have definite time sensitive plans to get ashore so I won't be as patient  as I was yesterday.

Roy

Yeah I concur... The tendering was definitely a mess.  I didn't even bother getting a ticket.  I just left after 1130 when it was open to everyone which wasn't bad but it was a 30 min ride each way since bar harbor made us anchor further away.  I heard the line coming back was horrible as well.  I only stayed for an hour to get some blueberry ice cream and meet up with some friends who were trying a lobster roll.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Roy

Thanks good to know.

whilst i have tendered many times it will be my first visit to this area. Sounds like a combination of inadequate organization on board and limited tender facilities. I am not sure why the ship would restrict tender ticket distribution to one location. I assume ship excursions received tender tickets automatically with their excursion tickets and would probably occupy early tenders. As I have said before, this class of ship has always had tickets available in Diamond and suite lounges for collection which at least spread out the number of people congregating in one area. 

This ship does seem to have some organizational problems - we noticed it with some shore excursions - difficult to know if it is a problem on the ship, or outside contractors they are dependent on and working with.

We will be on a different ship for our visit so at least I am aware of the port limitations.

1 hour ago, Nabalab said:

That did not seem to be an option.  What I did was fold the things that were on hangers on the top of my large bag just before closing it up and that seemed to be a good solution.  My steward in my old room told me to leave the bags in my room when they were ready and he would take are of getting them moved.

When I returned to the ship the bags were not at the room.  When I returned from lunch they were INSIDE waiting for me.

Roy

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Day 9, Sunday, May 29,2022, Halifax, Canada

I slept later than usual again (5:30) but didn’t miss much.  The sun had “risen” before 5 but there was still a strong, cold wind and dense fog.  I still was able to take my breakfast to one of the tables on the pool deck but just barely.  

First sighting of land came around 9 and about 10 we got into Halifax, turning around and backing into the berth as we squeeze in between Halifax and Georges Island.  Halifax is on Atlantic time, an hour ahead of Bayonne but we remained on Bayonne time.  We were warned to ignore local clocks (and cell phones) and stay on ship’s time.  The good news is that if someone got confused they would just be back an hour early; the not so good news is that when the ship was cleared it was approaching noon local time.

georges.jpg

I had looked at local churches but with our arrival time would have had no time to get there.  My home church broadcasts it’s services at 10:30 and with many people ashore I mostly had the band width to get the service.  I got cut off one platform in the middle of the service but was able to pick up the “youtube live” version just a few minute later and captured pretty much the entire service.  

While I have not set foot on Canadian soil in almost 3 years (August 2019) I have a lot of Canadian heritage with family still on the original homestead a little south of Montreal. Canadian icon Tim Hortons has a special place in my heart since it was a refuge many years ago when I had checked out of my hotel and was waiting for an early morning bus deep in the Yukon.  There was one close to the ship but not very easy to get to since the railroad sits between them and the ship.  I was able to find the tunnel under the tracks from the top deck of the ship.  One of the main passenger trains, the Ocean from Halifax to Montreal, was set up on the tracks.  

ocean.jpg

After the service I set out, following the road out to the tunnel.  Just as I was almost at the tunnel I heard the train’s alarm gong going off and it was gone when I got to the other side and a short walk from there to Timmies.  Lunch was their chicken noodle soup, baguette, and a timbit.

lunch29.jpg

I have a relative in Halifax I think of as a cousin.  While Ron is older than me my actual cousin is his mother but he feels like a cousin.  When back on the ship I headed out to the balcony and we chatted for several minutes.   We expect to meet when I return in July on QM2.

We had the usual 5 at table 422 although one couple was just a few minutes late returning from a shore excursion to Peggy’s Cove.  I opted for the Caesar Salad, strip steak, and strawberry ice cream.

dishes29.jpg

There was a lovely monkey hanging from my window when I returned.

monkey.jpg

All aboard was 7:30.  I went out to my balcony and watched the sun fall below the Halifax skyline.

dusk29.jpg

I could see some of the preparations for departure from my balcony as the gangway was pulled back.  I did not actually see the lines dropping from that vantage but did catch the line handlers returning to the terminal and knew departure was very close.  I saw noticeable water between me and the terminal just before 8, and continued watching as we passed the rest of the Halifax docks.

aurevoir.jpg

There were 2 performances of “Invitation to Dance”.  I did not attend but am pretty sure this time they came off without a hitch.

As a parting shot, it felt great to be back on Canadian soil.  While travel challenges are not yet behind us that was a big milestone for me.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3