May 28th POA Reservation - CANCELED

I received an email today informing me my reservation on POA (May 28th - next week!) has been canceled. Not enough staff for the number of people currently booked. Never been so upset as a lot of planning went into this trip for my family/ work. 

Anyone else receive this email today?

Wow...another cruise issue due to lack of staffing. You see a lot of this anymore, and not just on NCL. Lots of lines seem to have trouble fulling staffing their ships. Heck, there was a post on here the other day about people stranded on the pier because the tour company didn't have enough bus drivers.

Makes me think back two years where we discussed this very possibility and a number of people dismissed the idea outright..

Carnival just announced that they will be closing their Italian restaurant on Captain's Table on their ships due to staffing issues. Not as bad as having your cruised canceled, which I am sorry to hear about, but it shows that staffing has been an issue across all of the lines.

Are they cancelling the entire cruise, or just limiting the number of guests?

If it's just limiting the number of guests, I'd be curious how they decide who gets to stay and who gets cut?  First come, first serve?  Those who paid the highest fares vs cheapest?

OP, I'm so sorry this has happened to you!  I hope you are able to make lemonade out of these lemons, somehow. 

12 minutes ago, da1425 said:

Are they cancelling the entire cruise, or just limiting the number of guests?

I was wondering the same thing.  I just checked their Roll Call, no current info there, but a post from April 25 included a letter from NCL stating that they were adjusting the number of staff because of the lower number of guests.  Accordingly, NCL was limiting the number of dining options  -- closing some of the dining venues and cutting back on others.

1 hour ago, rjm11 said:

that's terrible! I would be soooo disappointed- that is so last minute!

Not that last minute as its a week and a half until they cruise. Our cruise in January was cancelled at 2:00 pm and the next day we were flying out at 5:00 AM

7 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Yeah, I'm starting to think that maybe this "reservation" was a dining reservation.

Something is definitely up as the next available sailing is now showing as November 27, 2022.

7 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Per prior post, Pride of America is showing sold out/not available/potentially cancelled through the end of Nov 26. This is kinda ominous. 

Read this:

https://www.travelpulse.com/news/cruise/ncl-limits-occupancy-aboard-pride-of-america-sailings.html

There's nothing ominous and NCL's president explains exactly what is happening.  Other than this thread, we've seen no other reports of cancelled sailings.  Sold out/not available is the same thing.

“As of yesterday, we have every voyage through the end of October on a stop sell, so you can’t even book this product before November right now.”

Reservation Cancelation.pdfAttached is the document I received today. It does include 100% voyage fare FCC but I honestly don't want that. It has been three years in the making with over and over again canceled cruises and vacations. This is the one time it worked for my family prior to the next steps in life. So done with NCL at this point... 

25 minutes ago, vacation44 said:

Something is definitely up as the next available sailing is now showing as November 27, 2022.

See my last post.  They've been doing this since they resumed sailings in April.  First the April sailings disappeared.  Then the May sailings (about two days before I was planning to book).  Now the rest through October.  I (and I'm sure many others) have existing bookings that have not been impacted.

6 minutes ago, CruiseDealSweeper said:

Reservation Cancelation.pdfAttached is the document I received today. It does include 100% voyage fare FCC but I honestly don't want that. It has been three years in the making with over and over again canceled cruises and vacations. This is the one time it worked for my family prior to the next steps in life. So done with NCL at this point... 

Thank you!!  Wow, sorry to hear that happened to you.  It will be interesting to see if the entire sailing is cancelled or some were just disinvited.  Strange business.  OTOH, 100% FCC in addition to immediate cash refund, plus help with airline penalties, is about the best accommodation I've seen.

The use of the word "reservation" seems strange to me.  Had you made complete final payment?  Was this booked through NCL directly?

Edited by ChiefMateJRK
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, CruiseDealSweeper said:

That is awful!  Wow. 😳

Edited by HBCcruiser

2 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Thank you!!  Wow, sorry to hear that happened to you.  It will be interesting to see if the entire sailing is cancelled or some were just disinvited.  Strange business.  OTOH, 100% FCC in addition to immediate cash refund, plus help with airline penalties, is about the best accommodation I've seen.

The use of the word "reservation" seems strange to me.  Had you made complete final payment?  Was this booked through NCL directly?

It has been paid in full for over three months. Had already paid NCL ~$10k in the booking and airfare 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CruiseDealSweeper said:

It has been paid in full for over three months. Had already paid NCL ~$10k in the booking and airfare 

I wonder how they selected people to cancel (if entire cruise not cancelled), random? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HBCcruiser said:

That is awful! No additional FCC either. $500 00 is not much to cover airfare these days. Wow. 😳

Agree, not good.

An additional 25% FCC plus a full cash refund was passed along by NCL to us on our recently cancelled Prima cruise.

1 hour ago, HBCcruiser said:

I wonder how they selected people to cancel (if entire cruise not cancelled), random? 

Would say cancelling based on Latitude status.  Would doubt if NCL would cancel Platinum members.  

25 minutes ago, ShakeDaddy said:

Would say cancelling based on Latitude status.  Would doubt if NCL would cancel Platinum members.  

Why not? Platinum is just a mid-range status (like getting a "C" on a test). If anything, they would protect their upper tier members.

I would suspect that there are formulations, likely based on profitability projections and past onboard spend patterns, that are used to select which reservations stay and which ones go.