Hypothetical situation regarding testing positive before flight back to US

Mountaineer0313

So, let's say my husband and I do the proctored emed covid test on the ship the night before we sail into Vancouver. One or both tests positive. Could we then disembark as normal and go rent a car and drive home? Or are the Covid police going to be waiting outside our door to whisk us away to quarantine? I assume, since we will be doing an online proctored test, that no one will know if we test positive. And yes, I do know that this is probably morally wrong, but there's absolutely zero chance I'm staying in Canada and quarantining for 10 extra days or whatever it is with my dogs at home.

Honestly, this was our plan as well if we tested positive. I don't think they can hold you hostage in quarantine if you can demonstrate that you have the ability to drive home. As I understand it, the Canadians on our cruise who tested positive were allowed to drive home. There is nothing morally wrong with making your own alternate travel plan as long as it long as it doesn't expose other people. If you are willing to pay to rent a car and drive yourselves home in a way that is safe and responsible there should be no issue.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, karatemom2 said:

Honestly, this was our plan as well if we tested positive. I don't think they can hold you hostage in quarantine if you can demonstrate that you have the ability to drive home. As I understand it, the Canadians on our cruise who tested positive were allowed to drive home. There is nothing morally wrong with making your own alternate travel plan as long as it long as it doesn't expose other people. If you are willing to pay to rent a car and drive yourselves home in a way that is safe and responsible there should be no issue.

Thanks, glad I'm not the only one. Hoping it doesn't come to that, we're both vaccinated and I've had Covid, but the thought of having to stay and quarantine is giving me anxiety lol.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mountaineer0313 said:

Thanks, glad I'm not the only one. Hoping it doesn't come to that, we're both vaccinated and I've had Covid, but the thought of having to stay and quarantine is giving me anxiety lol.

I totally understand. It was a real source of stress for me as we prepared to end our cruise and we could sense the cases onboard really starting to pick up. As it turns out my daughter, her fiance and I all tested positive yesterday just three days after coming home. We all have mild symptoms, but I'm so glad it didn't manifest until after we were safely home!

Your Covid test isn't going to be checked until the airport. So, no, the Covid police aren't going to waiting at the gangway to detain you. However, you are not going to be allowed to board a flight to the US. You will lose the money committed to your flight, unless you have a flexible airline and you cancel the minute you find you are positive. In fact, telling your airline you are positive may help you cancel w/o penalty.

• Like 1

If you have this option good for you. We won't since we can't drive home from Europe. So keeping fingers crossed that we test negative before our flight back to the US. from Amsterdam.

16 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Your Covid test isn't going to be checked until the airport. So, no, the Covid police aren't going to waiting at the gangway to detain you. However, you are not going to be allowed to board a flight to the US. You will lose the money committed to your flight, unless you have a flexible airline and you cancel the minute you find you are positive. In fact, telling your airline you are positive may help you cancel w/o penalty.

The money for the flights is the least of my worries. Being stuck in Canada away from dogs after 16 days is my worry.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, familycruzinnewbie said:

Canada doesn’t have Covid police, or any quarantine hotels or anything, but if you test positive pease isolate and if you want to get back home, rent a car, don’t board a bus or train and expose others. 

I specifically said I would go rent a car and drive home...

18 hours ago, karatemom2 said:

I totally understand. It was a real source of stress for me as we prepared to end our cruise and we could sense the cases onboard really starting to pick up. As it turns out my daughter, her fiance and I all tested positive yesterday just three days after coming home. We all have mild symptoms, but I'm so glad it didn't manifest until after we were safely home!

I hope you are all feeling well and it's a quick recovery! I had it in February and besides the sore throat, it wasn't too awfully bad.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Dancing Shoes said:

I want to know what rental agency will do a one way from Canada into the USA? I tried a mock booking through Costco and no cars available.  

We did some research in advance just in case. We found a few rental agencies that would do one way from Vancouver to Seattle airport locations. I imagine given the proximity there is a lot of back and forth between those locations. We could then rent another car in Seattle that we could return at an LAX location. 

17 hours ago, Dancing Shoes said:

I want to know what rental agency will do a one way from Canada into the USA? I tried a mock booking through Costco and no cars available.  

There are some, the real problem is that there is a huge shortage of rental cars and your ability to just pick one up on the day you arrive in Vancouver is more than likely going to be impossible.

On 5/18/2022 at 3:00 PM, Mountaineer0313 said:

Or are the Covid police going to be waiting outside our door to whisk us away to quarantine? I assume, since we will be doing an online proctored test, that no one will know if we test positive. 

Be thankful it is Canada and not The Cayman Islands.     I tested positive after a scuba diving trip and the resort marched me straight back to my room and told me I could not leave.   I got yelled at when I had my door open while I was standing 2 feet inside and my son 5 feet away from the door.  They placed a table right outside my door and I had to grab my food off of it and close the door immediately.  And then received a bill for $3000 for my 12 day stay.  The manager told me I could be fined $10,000 and put in jail for two years if I stepped outside my room.   One of the times I talked with the nurse, she told me I had better adhere to the rules of the Cayman Islands or suffer the consequences.   It was 12 days of hell.  At least I have my letter of recovery that will still be within the 90 days for our cruise.   But I do worry about my husband and kids.

2 hours ago, compozer said:

Be thankful it is Canada and not The Cayman Islands.     I tested positive after a scuba diving trip and the resort marched me straight back to my room and told me I could not leave.   I got yelled at when I had my door open while I was standing 2 feet inside and my son 5 feet away from the door.  They placed a table right outside my door and I had to grab my food off of it and close the door immediately.  And then received a bill for $3000 for my 12 day stay.  The manager told me I could be fined $10,000 and put in jail for two years if I stepped outside my room.   One of the times I talked with the nurse, she told me I had better adhere to the rules of the Cayman Islands or suffer the consequences.   It was 12 days of hell.  At least I have my letter of recovery that will still be within the 90 days for our cruise.   But I do worry about my husband and kids.

Oh wow. I have a friend and her husband stuck in Sint Eustatius right now, but their experience has been completely the opposite. They were given and ocean front room, and access to the pool. The employees go grocery shopping for them and pick up dinner for them every night. The husband is still testing positive so they're stuck there through the weekend still though. They're ready to go home, but they've been treated very well.

57 minutes ago, Mountaineer0313 said:

Oh wow. I have a friend and her husband stuck in Sint Eustatius right now, but their experience has been completely the opposite. They were given and ocean front room, and access to the pool. The employees go grocery shopping for them and pick up dinner for them every night. The husband is still testing positive so they're stuck there through the weekend still though. They're ready to go home, but they've been treated very well.

That would have been lovely.   I was going to do a prison break at midnight but when I asked the asst manager she said it would be best if I just stayed in my room.   We booked ocean view rooms 3 years ago and by the time our group decided on a date, they were all taken.   And they were booked solid - surprised I was allowed to stay in my room.

What got me through it was my daily writing of a script for a tv series called Covid Island.   I tried to make it funny and all of my friends loved it and said that was the first thing they looked for in the morning.   My son also helped me  installed netflex on my tablet.    I figured if I acted like I felt, I would be totally depressed.

On 5/18/2022 at 9:23 PM, Dancing Shoes said:

Costco/Avis was the only one I found. It is expensive... one day YVR to SEA  rental was over $450 CAD earlier this month.  With no down-payment and no cancelation fees it is possible you  could pick something up last minute due to cancelation. Otherwise book as early as possible and keep checking daily for availability.