Disappointed: Cancellation of important Alaska excursion after final payment for cruise

nattie

Just a vent here... We booked an Inside package cruise on Discovery Princess this August. We are very flexible with sailing dates, so booked what seemed like great time to go (August 7th), but dont really care if we go any time from mid July to end of August. I paid for all the excursions I wanted as soon as I booked my cruise (some of them were already sold out) with the most important one to me being the Endicott Arm Explorer. I am not planning to do Alaska itinerary again (not a cold climate person here!) so wanted to actually get close to a glacier. Anyway, We have received a notice yesterday that "guest capacity for your shore excursion has been reduced due to operational reasons". I am really upset about that (may be undeservingly?), we paid for the tour in full as soon as I booked the cruise, so way before final payment date, why are we being booted off? To put more salt on the wound, the tour itself is still on the Princess website and doesnt even show as "sold out", there is a waitlist option!!! Why weren't we automatically put on waitlist? Thats just not right, so someone deciding just now to book this will automatically have higher waitlist number than people originally on the tour, but booted off??

If it wasnt for my final payment date being over, I would have switched the cruise timing. Now we are kind of stuck. I really expected more from Princess in terms of customer service (ie I would be fine with cancellation and automatic spot on waitlist).

Vent over. I get that things happen and plans change, but putting cancelled passengers as first in line for waitlist spots is a no brainer to me. Could be that I am all getting worked up about nothing and that particular excursion is not going to blemish my Alaska cruise experience. 

• Like 1

Well, that sounds like a real bummer.  Did you speak with someone at Princess?  Perhaps get them to at least put you at the top of the list.  Or explain why the excursion is still on the site?  Do you have any other stops that have excursions to a glacier?  You picked some great dates.  We are going  up to visit some of our kids from 29 June thru 10 July.  That's always a nice time of year...less chance of rain...although our years living in Alaska proved rain and summer are a common partnership. 

I am sorry to hear that your excursion was cancelled.  I am on the Discovery Princess the week after you and have paid for the same excursion.  So far, no cancellation notice from Princess.  I can see why you are upset, I would be too.  When did you book your cruise and excursion? 

If my excursion was to be cancelled I would certainly get on the phone and contact Princess asking questions.  If I wasn't happy with the answer, I would elevate the question to a supervisor.  Hopefully, you will reach out to Princess and it will have a favorable result for you.

So sorry for your disappointment.  I do know that Alaska is experiencing the same employment issues and some vendors simply can't deliver.  Why it is still listed is anyone's guess. We were in Alaska last week and could not even get near the glacier at Endicott.  There was too much ice in the water to navigate through safely.  I hope that you can still enjoy the beauty of Alaska. 

1 hour ago, nattie said:

Could be that I am all getting worked up about nothing and that particular excursion is not going to blemish my Alaska cruise experience. 

I don't think you have to be disappointed in missing an anticipated excursion, we had this tour scheduled and cancelled as well. We lost out on it when our itinerary changed and we missed Juneau altogether.  We actually lost all 3 of our scheduled excursions due to the multiple itinerary changes on the May 7th Crown sailing, trust me I understand your disappointment. We also had this scheduled back in May 2020 and cancelled obviously due to Covid.  It looks really awesome and we were looking to get close to the glaciers as well.  

One possible explanation is if you look on the private tour providers in Juneau their website is saying it's only available on the weekends for the 2022 season.  My guess is they made this change and Princess has not updated their website.  We have been looking at booking another Alaska cruise possibly later this season and I'm specifically trying to find a route that includes Juneau on a weekend date so I can book this tour.  If not we're hopeful we can do this tour in 2023.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Italy52 said:

I am sorry to hear that your excursion was cancelled.  I am on the Discovery Princess the week after you and have paid for the same excursion.  So far, no cancellation notice from Princess.  I can see why you are upset, I would be too.  When did you book your cruise and excursion? 

If my excursion was to be cancelled I would certainly get on the phone and contact Princess asking questions.  If I wasn't happy with the answer, I would elevate the question to a supervisor.  Hopefully, you will reach out to Princess and it will have a favorable result for you.

Thank you for suggestion! If I can find time, I'll definitely call. So far I have emailed my PVP with Princess (who booked the cruise) to see if he has any info.

Thank you everyone for support! I'll block off some time to call Princess (not looking forward to being on hold).

JeffT237, your explanation makes perfect sense. 

30 minutes ago, nattie said:

Thank you for suggestion! If I can find time, I'll definitely call. So far I have emailed my PVP with Princess (who booked the cruise) to see if he has any info.

Come back and let us know how it all worked out --- keeping fingers crossed that it all works out for you.

Mine was canceled as well for our cruise this Sunday.  In fact, our whole group was canceled …  I think it was 10 of us.  I haven’t been contacted by Princess as of yet but did check my travel summary and noticed my OBC has been reinstated and my excursion is missing.  My PVP confirmed that it is a canceled due to capacity control.  
I just believe that travel during CoVid requires a lot of flexibility.  We’re just going with the flow, just slightly disappointed.  

• Like 2

Hmmmmm, I have discovered another issue pertaining to my booking on Discovery July 31st. This is all very fishy.  I just now looked in my cruise personalizer and this Endicott Arm excursion is there for me to choose and showing 20 openings.  But ....... when trying to book it, a notice appears saying that there is a conflict.  Our time in Endicott Arm is 5am to 9am, 4 hours.  The excursion is 7am to 1pm, 6 hours.  Yes, this sure is a conflict.  I checked multiple dates of this itinerary and all appear the same.  The funny thing is that we arrive in Endicott Arm at 5am and we are not scheduled to arrive at our next port, Juneau until 12:30 PM the next day.  Juneau is all of 43 miles away from Endicott Arm.

It seems to me we passengers on this itinerary are victims of perhaps too many ships being allowed in Alaska requiring intricate scheduling requirements to avoid so called "congestion" problems, perhaps Alaska state mandates play a part, possibly could be $$$$$$ charged to cruise line driven.  I am feeling like we passengers are being robbed of the Alaska experience this season in particular.  I have been reading many posts about excursion issues and disappointment recently.

I did go on live chat to inquire about this situation.  As I expected I got no answer other than what I already knew, that the ship is not scheduled to be there long enough for this excursion.  So why did Princess even offer this excursion at all?

4 minutes ago, hpeabody said:

Hmmmmm, I have discovered another issue pertaining to my booking on Discovery July 31st. This is all very fishy.  I just now looked in my cruise personalizer and this Endicott Arm excursion is there for me to choose and showing 20 openings.  But ....... when trying to book it, a notice appears saying that there is a conflict.  Our time in Endicott Arm is 5am to 9am, 4 hours.  The excursion is 7am to 1pm, 6 hours.  Yes, this sure is a conflict.  I checked multiple dates of this itinerary and all appear the same.  The funny thing is that we arrive in Endicott Arm at 5am and we are not scheduled to arrive at our next port, Juneau until 12:30 PM the next day.  Juneau is all of 43 miles away from Endicott Arm.

It seems to me we passengers on this itinerary are victims of perhaps too many ships being allowed in Alaska requiring intricate scheduling requirements to avoid so called "congestion" problems, perhaps Alaska state mandates play a part, possibly could be $$$$$$ charged to cruise line driven.  I am feeling like we passengers are being robbed of the Alaska experience this season in particular.  I have been reading many posts about excursion issues and disappointment recently.

I did go on live chat to inquire about this situation.  As I expected I got no answer other than what I already knew, that the ship is not scheduled to be there long enough for this excursion.  So why did Princess even offer this excursion at all?

"The funny thing is that we arrive in Endicott Arm at 5am and we are not scheduled to arrive at our next port, Juneau until 12:30 PM the next day"

I am on Discovery Princess and doing the same excursion.  Check your itinerary time for Juneau as mine shows arrival the same day as Endicott and not the next day.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Italy52 said:

"The funny thing is that we arrive in Endicott Arm at 5am and we are not scheduled to arrive at our next port, Juneau until 12:30 PM the next day"

I am on Discovery Princess and doing the same excursion.  Check your itinerary time for Juneau as mine shows arrival the same day as Endicott and not the next day.

Yes, I sure missed that.  Thank you for pointing that out to me.  Were you able to book and go on the Endicott Arm excursion?

So sorry that you are upset with Princess.    I have not been happy with them either.  3 1/2 hours on hold and we still flight issues.        We have also had cancelations for our upcoming Alaska cruise.    And I am very disappointed.   We have had nine cruises canceled the past two years.    And many private excursions where I did not get my deposit returned.    We have experienced  many long waits at restaurants and other businesses. There is a worker shortage in all areas.   

You may think you were the first to book.   Not sure if you are elite or not but elite people have the perk which allows them to book early and there are many repeat people that do Alaska every year.   

11 minutes ago, hpeabody said:

Yes, I sure missed that.  Thank you for pointing that out to me.  Were you able to book and go on the Endicott Arm excursion?

We are booked on the August 14th Discovery cruise so no, we have not gone on the excursion yet.  I booked it way back in the beginning of February and I continue to check the status --- so far it is a go. 

1 minute ago, Italy52 said:

We are booked on the August 14th Discovery cruise so no, we have not gone on the excursion yet.  I booked it way back in the beginning of February and I continue to check the status --- so far it is a go. 

I just looked at your itinerary and you have the identical conflict I would if it allowed me to book (but it will not allow a booking)  As I said, something is very fishy with this within Princess.  I am guessing you will likely soon get a similar email that the OP got and they just have not gotten around to your cruise yet.  Again, I ask  ..... Why did Princess even offer this excursion at all?   I suspect Princess will do nothing about this situation and will just be content with dissatisfied and disappointed passengers.

1 hour ago, hpeabody said:

I just looked at your itinerary and you have the identical conflict I would if it allowed me to book (but it will not allow a booking)  As I said, something is very fishy with this within Princess.  I am guessing you will likely soon get a similar email that the OP got and they just have not gotten around to your cruise yet.  Again, I ask  ..... Why did Princess even offer this excursion at all?   I suspect Princess will do nothing about this situation and will just be content with dissatisfied and disappointed passengers.

Do you by any chance have an excursion booked for Juneau? 

4 hours ago, nattie said:

Your CVP should be able to help at Princess.  That is why you have one.

At least get on the top of the waitlist.

Also, as soon as you get onboard, see when shore excursions opens,  go to their desk and explain this to them.  They will then, be in charge of excursions.

You will still have a great time!

54 minutes ago, Italy52 said:

Do you by any chance have an excursion booked for Juneau? 

Yes, I do and it begins at 1:00 pm.  I never made the connection that was the conflict as I thought Juneau was the day following Endicott Arm.  I understand it now.  Thank you very much

It is not often you actually get into the arm far enough to see the glacier...always an issue with ice. Glacier Bay is the best..you always get back to the Marjorie.  I know that does not help when your ship doesn't go there.

Edited by RJAM3

15 minutes ago, hpeabody said:

Yes, I do and it begins at 1:00 pm.  I never made the connection that was the conflict as I thought Juneau was the day following Endicott Arm.  I understand it now.  Thank you very much

You are most welcome --- I have been there before so thought I would take a chance and ask.

1 hour ago, PacnGoNow said:

Your CVP should be able to help at Princess.  That is why you have one.

At least get on the top of the waitlist.

Also, as soon as you get onboard, see when shore excursions opens,  go to their desk and explain this to them.  They will then, be in charge of excursions.

You will still have a great time!

My PVP responded and was very apologetic, but there isnt much he could do (according to him at least). He said they dont have access to the excursion database (he stated this before, so no surprise there) and he couldnt give me a separate phone number to call either. He said everyone has to go through the regular line where holds are measured in hours (he actually stated that). He suggested that I check with shore excursion desk as soon as we board and they would have more information and much more authority to do something. 

7 minutes ago, nattie said:

My PVP responded and was very apologetic, but there isnt much he could do (according to him at least). He said they dont have access to the excursion database (he stated this before, so no surprise there) and he couldnt give me a separate phone number to call either. He said everyone has to go through the regular line where holds are measured in hours (he actually stated that). He suggested that I check with shore excursion desk as soon as we board and they would have more information and much more authority to do something. 

That’s too bad, he can’t help.  I’d call early when they first open.  Good luck!