Toilet Paper or Sandpaper Royal Caribbean

31 minutes ago, zippyjet said:

Bidet is the way whether on land or sea. Without TMI, the hand held shower comes in real handy!

Ok definitely TMI, now I need to remember to bring a bottle of Clorox spray to hose down the shower floor with disinfectant.  

Or bring disposable sandals I can wear into the shower

10 hours ago, MommaBear55 said:

It's true, it's not soft fluffy double ply. It's marine grade TP for marine toilets. If that's your biggest complaint, your cruise must have been amazing. You can always bring personal wipes, just don't flush them. 

No, its not.  It is just cheap toilet paper.  A ship's vacuum toilet system is different than a pleasure boats toilet, and does not require special toilet paper.

2 hours ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

A lot of it depends on how easy the toilet paper is to flush, esp when people use handfulls of the stuff. After all the toilet system on a ship, like an airline can only handle the correct type of toilet paper which i assume the cruise companies use, obviously the cheapest version. 

Speaking of toilets i find the american toilet bowls huge, like dropping a stone in a lake!!! ) Lol 

Well, the "use half the roll each time" crowd certainly will have problems on a ship, but unless the toilet paper is made with woven paper fibers (not aware of any that are, wipes and paper towels are, though), it is fine to flush on a ship.

51 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

Isn’t the tp manufactured to work with the ships system, like RV tp?

Nope.  And, I've spent 43 years maintaining marine toilet systems.  Since the ship goes through more than a full pallet of paper every week, they buy the cheapest they can.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

54 minutes ago, handbellplayer said:

And you are the people that cause plumbing problems on the ship.

In all my years, I've never seen a clog caused by "improper" toilet paper.  Bringing your own is fine.  Those causing clogs are the ones throwing wipes and paper towels, clothing, face cloths, hand towels, bones, and an innumerable amount of other things down the hopper.  (I've seen all of the above)

Edited by chengkp75
  • Like 5

25 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

In all my years, I've never seen a clog caused by "improper" toilet paper.  Bringing your own is fine.  Those causing clogs are the ones throwing wipes and paper towels, clothing, face cloths, hand towels, bones, and an innumerable amount of other things down the hopper.  (I've seen all of the above)

Sorry - I spoke too soon.  I naively assumed there was a reason for the TP they use.  I didn't realize you were a veteran plumber on RCCL (only a little sarcastic - I can't believe you have seen all of these things - sorry!)

27 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

I know ship systems are different than rv tanks. My wife always insists on bringing her own tp and we’ve never had a problem. 
I assume ships use a macerator which can foul from wipes,etc, thus the stern warnings about flushing anything foreign. Is this correct?  

20 minutes ago, HicksRA said:

I know ship systems are different than rv tanks. My wife always insists on bringing her own tp and we’ve never had a problem. 
I assume ships use a macerator which can foul from wipes,etc, thus the stern warnings about flushing anything foreign. Is this correct?  

RV tanks and pleasure boats use a macerator to chop up "product" to prevent valves from clogging.  The vacuum toilet system requires that the "product"  retain some "form" or "body" so that it can be sucked down the pipe, much like a ping pong ball in a vacuum cleaner.  The toilet paper, and actually facial tissue, is made with pressed paper fibers, so there is some "give" when the ping pong ball reaches a bend in the pipe.  Wipes and paper towels are designed to have wet strength, and are made with woven fibers.  These ping pong balls don't have any give, and will tend to get stuck at the bends.  

Our valves are designed to cut through product when closing, so are not as susceptible to clogging, and the pumps for handling the waste are "peristaltic" (think of a python swallowing a basketball), where the product is slowly squeezed through the pump. 

Unlike household plumbing, where the waste pipe gets bigger and bigger the more pipes attach to it, a vacuum system's piping is almost uniform in size from the farthest toilet to the tanks, which is why clogs can form a ways down the pipe, and knock out whole banks of cabins.

Apologies to those who find this a little TMI.

Edited by chengkp75
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 5

25 minutes ago, handbellplayer said:

I can't believe you have seen all of these things

Feminine hygiene products, underwear, swim wear, crack pipes, coke spoons, ammunition, there are no secrets from the engineers.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

I' pretty sure Chengkp75, refers to Chief Engineer Kings Point (class of) 75. Thank you Chief. I know corn is always the most hated thing aboard the tugs I worked on. I know the easiest way to ruin an engineers morning coffee is, "The heads plugged, again."   Regards, Bill

45 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

RV tanks and pleasure boats use a macerator to chop up "product" to prevent valves from clogging.  The vacuum toilet system requires that the "product"  retain some "form" or "body" so that it can be sucked down the pipe, much like a ping pong ball in a vacuum cleaner.  The toilet paper, and actually facial tissue, is made with pressed paper fibers, so there is some "give" when the ping pong ball reaches a bend in the pipe.  Wipes and paper towels are designed to have wet strength, and are made with woven fibers.  These ping pong balls don't have any give, and will tend to get stuck at the bends.  

Our valves are designed to cut through product when closing, so are not as susceptible to clogging, and the pumps for handling the waste are "peristaltic" (think of a python swallowing a basketball), where the product is slowly squeezed through the pump. 

Unlike household plumbing, where the waste pipe gets bigger and bigger the more pipes attach to it, a vacuum system's piping is almost uniform in size from the farthest toilet to the tanks, which is why clogs can form a ways down the pipe, and knock out whole banks of cabins.

Apologies to those who find this a little TMI.

Very informative. 
Thanks!

4 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

Isn’t the tp manufactured to work with the ships system, like RV tp?

Yes - the type used for boats and RVs systems breaks up better than the multi ply supersoft type.  Ever notice workman having to unplug the system - they work in little cupboards in the hallways.  

7 hours ago, CalTexCruiser said:

Ok definitely TMI, now I need to remember to bring a bottle of Clorox spray to hose down the shower floor with disinfectant.  

Or bring disposable sandals I can wear into the shower

Rest assured no ship shower stalls or adjacent flooring suffered turd bombardments. And I disinfect the shower head/handle. All you have to do is reach around and spray. TMI time: you lift up toilet seat. Obviously, you make sure all the "surfaces are clean. Spray no more than 15 seconds at a time because the bowl will fill up faster than The Titanic! Flush, rinse and repeat!

Edited by zippyjet
correct spelling font size

3 hours ago, squadron said:

Yes - the type used for boats and RVs systems breaks up better than the multi ply supersoft type.  Ever notice workman having to unplug the system - they work in little cupboards in the hallways.  

Zippyjet factoid! Those hallway compartments contain the AC unit in addition to the plumbing. In the case of a hot cabin at least half the time all the engineer needs to bleed off air so your cabin gets colder (hotter) during cold weather. Its just getting them to do this. Sometimes a little boodle $$$ opens doors/gets things fixed right!

Edited by zippyjet
spelling

I have a friend who takes her own sheets and pillow cases, and probably plenty of other stuff.  I'll have to ask her do you also take your own toilette paper.  I think our daughter would bc when she visits us here in Florida she puts that on her request list.  LOL

• Like 1