Diabetic (low carb) drink options

scrotser

Am I correct that I will not be allowed to bring on my own sugar free drink mixers?  I love Bai coconut (add some rum) or Clear America makes a mint mojito sugar free water (also add some rum).  Both only come in a bottle.  I don't really care for diet sodas or club soda.  Why do they seem to have little to no sugar free mixers onboard???  What do other diabetics drink?

Pretty much your only true low carb alcoholic drink options are going to be using diet soda mixers. Either by bringing your own (in cans) and purchasing shots or by ordering with diet Pepsi products.

16 minutes ago, mz-s said:

"Carnival’s  Liquor and Beverage Policy states that guests are prohibited from bringing water, sodas and other non-alcoholic beverages on board that are packaged in bottles."

https://www.carnival.com/help

Seems pretty simple cut and dry to me 🤷‍♂️

Pretty sure I stated as much!  I understand I won't be able to bring them on.  I just want to know what other diabetics drink and wonder why the ship has so few other options if they don't allow us to bring our own.

• Like 2

Just now, scrotser said:

Pretty sure I stated as much!  I understand I won't be able to bring them on.  I just want to know what other diabetics drink and wonder why the ship has so few other options if they don't allow us to bring our own.

I am not diabetic but I do a ketogenic diet which is essentially a zero carb diet. I drink water. As far as flavored drinks every once in a while I'll drink a diet pepsi onboard. My wife will usually bring on a case of diet ginger ale.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, mz-s said:

I am not diabetic but I do a ketogenic diet which is essentially a zero carb diet. I drink water. As far as flavored drinks every once in a while I'll drink a diet pepsi onboard. My wife will usually bring on a case of diet ginger ale.

I mostly drink water and iced tea, and rarely drink alcohol, but on vacation I'd like to have a fun drink or two! 🙂  I dislike most diet sodas, so not what I'd want to mix a drink with.  I know that hard liquor like rum or vodka is carb free, but I'm not one to drink either of those straight.  I did find some interesting looking sugar free powdered drink mixes at Amazon that I might try.  Margaritaville makes them with these flavors: pina colada, strawberry daiquiri, and margarita. Mix with a bottle of water and add a shot of rum or vodka.... should be a low carb option.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WQEB2BE/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by scrotser
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, scrotser said:

I mostly drink water and iced tea, and rarely drink alcohol, but on vacation I'd like to have a fun drink or two! 🙂  I dislike most diet sodas, so not what I'd want to mix a drink with.  I know that hard liquor like rum or vodka is carb free, but I'm not one to drink either of those straight.  I did find some interesting looking sugar free powdered drink mixes at Amazon that I might try.  Margaritaville makes them with these flavors: pina colada, strawberry daiquiri, and margarita. Mix with a bottle of water and add a shot of rum or vodka.... should be a low carb option.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WQEB2BE/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

you also mentioned coconut water before. if you can find coconut water in cartons (small cartons like how protein drinks are packaged) you can bring them on too. Vita Coco brand.

• Like 2

We bring the flavor drops, you can use for water or club soda.  My husband will use the tropical flavored ones with rum and water to make cocktails.  They have lemonade, various fruit flavors, coconut, etc. in the grocery store.

• Like 7

My husband's diabetic counselor told him that he can drink the carbs (not get crazy of course) but to make sure and snack on proteins (nuts, meats, etc...) while he's doing it.   It helps your body process it better...something about the liver can't do two things at once.  Make sure you move a lot as well.  Take a walk or dance after consuming the bad stuff.  

2 hours ago, scrotser said:

Vodka Martini is the best diabetic drink around (at least in my humble opinion).   As dry as they can make it. 

• Like 1

Someone mentioned this above but water is the number one beverage of choice. I actually carry liquid lemon and lime packets to enhance my water flavor. I never cared for the taste of any diet drinks because of the horrible aftertaste of the artificial sweeteners. A small amount of natural raw honey in the water will also do the trick.   

5 hours ago, scrotser said:

Am I correct that I will not be allowed to bring on my own sugar free drink mixers?  I love Bai coconut (add some rum) or Clear America makes a mint mojito sugar free water (also add some rum).  Both only come in a bottle.  I don't really care for diet sodas or club soda.  Why do they seem to have little to no sugar free mixers onboard???  What do other diabetics drink?

There's not much to choose from. Iced tea, and the diet sodas are all I can think of. I drink iced tea most of the time. I like to have a nice piece of diet cake or cookies with a cup of speciality coffee but diet cakes/ cookies are hard to find.

48 minutes ago, staceyglow said:

The ships carry Truly hard seltzers.  They have very low carbs.  That's my go-to drink when I am trying to cut carbs.

That's fantastic to know!  Thank you!  I will be on the lookout for those for sure.

I brought "Skinnies" and "Baja Bob" powdered mixes for margarita, cranberry, mojito and mule flavors and added to the alcohol with club soda or water.  I also added fresh lime juice and mint as appropriate.  Other people were adding stevia from the buffet in place of sugar syrups in their drinks.  I agree they are severely lacking in low and no sugar drink options at the bar.

• Like 2

You just have to be creative. Bloody Marys are not that bad. Otherwise diet soda and most alcohol. You could also use club soda, alcohol, and powdered drink mixes. Its really not that hard actually.

• Like 1

I was on the Vista on 4/23 and they had Buble (sugar free sparkling water).  I had to usually ask for it to be gotten out of the back but they had them.  Not sure on mixes in Alcohol as I don't drink but I did enjoy those better than the Diet Pepsi/Pepsi Zero Sugar

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/3/2022 at 11:06 PM, conjr said:

Like so many of you, I will mostly be drinking water on my cruise.  Are the small bottles of water included with the Bubbles package.

Bottled water is NOT included with BB. BB only covers soda and juice.