Plumbing Problems - non-funtioning toilet

sewingmolly

Plumbing Problems - non-functioning toilet  

134 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever had plumbing problems in your stateroom on a cruise?

• 2 months later...

Kleenex and so-called 'flushable' wipes are NOT necessarily flushable.  Especially on a cruise ship.   I am thinking that the box tissues provided on the shops are the easily degradable type of tissue.  But the Kleenex, and Puffs, that most people buy are def. NOT flushable.  It is entirely probable that passengers are bringing their favorite 'soft' products onboard and then flushing them, without realizing.

Another thing that I have heard being found in the system is the sliced lemons that people have in their tea and drinks.   I remember a thread like this where one person was understandably offended when told "You caused the problem..."   (always easy to pass the blame). when their Princess Cabin Steward was flushing these things when they cleaned!!!!!

Sorry. but if all cruise staff are not well trained, then OMG what most everyday people/passengers might flush.

I think that this info should be make a part of the safety drill, and all adult passengers should be required to sign/check off that they have '"read the information and warnings and agree to...."

Probably wouldn't help... but maybe?

On 5/23/2022 at 10:49 AM, sewingmolly said:

On our recent cruise, we spent the last day with a non-functioning, overflowing toilet.  Apparently about 200 cabins on the Caribbean Princess were affected.  This was my 11th cruise, but the first time I had experienced such problems.  It was blamed on people flushing inappropriate items, namely masks.    I'm wondering is this a common occurrence?  Have I just been lucky up til now?  My husband is somewhat reluctant to book another cruise after this, so I thought I would try to find out just how common plumbing problems are.  Also are some ships more prone to plumbing issues?

what deck and cabin ??

Yes - minor on Sapphire Princess. When you pushed the handle, nothing would happen for 10 minutes, then it would flush.  Steward checked it, then had maintenance come. When it was fixed, one of them said it was a sanitary product that had been flushed (implying it was me or my daughter - it wasn’t). 

Anyway, only once, and quite minor on our side.  (I do feel badly for those that have had major problems!)

13 minutes ago, blizzard44ca said:

Yes - minor on Sapphire Princess. When you pushed the handle, nothing would happen for 10 minutes, then it would flush.  Steward checked it, then had maintenance come. When it was fixed, one of them said it was a sanitary product that had been flushed (implying it was me or my daughter - it wasn’t). 

Anyway, only once, and quite minor on our side.  (I do feel badly for those that have had major problems!)

I wonder if this happens more proportionally on larger ships?

When calling in a plumbing problem be sure to stress it is a urgent problem.

I called in to report that our shower would not drain.

At 11:00 PM the phone rang waking me up.  I answered to be told that someone was knocking on our cabin door. Say what, OK thanks for calling.  No No I was told, it is the plumber who is there to repair your show drain. I😲

I asked him why so late?  He told me that it is his schedule for non urgent problems for this Deck.

Bob

23 hours ago, blizzard44ca said:

A "ghost flush" is caused by the vacuum to your area of the system (could be one cabin, could be many) having a clog.  When you press the flush button, it sends a vacuum signal to a controller, but if there is not enough system vacuum at your toilet, the controller will wait until there is.  When the plumbers clear the clog, and vacuum is restored, the controller remembers that you pushed the button, and then initiates a flush.  I don't believe, unless it was only your cabin affected, that the plumbers implied it was you.  When a clog travels a few feet or many feet down the pipe before stopping, it can affect one cabin, two cabins, or hundreds of cabins, all caused by one individual.  When your toilet doesn't work, generally you don't know that others are affected as well, unless you hear it from your neighbors.

23 hours ago, cruisingrob21 said:

I wonder if this happens more proportionally on larger ships?

Of course it does.  More toilets, more passengers, more opportunity for someone to flush something down that shouldn't.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 8 months later...
On 8/19/2022 at 1:02 PM, chengkp75 said:

A "ghost flush" is caused by the vacuum to your area of the system (could be one cabin, could be many) having a clog.  When you press the flush button, it sends a vacuum signal to a controller, but if there is not enough system vacuum at your toilet, the controller will wait until there is.  When the plumbers clear the clog, and vacuum is restored, the controller remembers that you pushed the button, and then initiates a flush.  I don't believe, unless it was only your cabin affected, that the plumbers implied it was you.  When a clog travels a few feet or many feet down the pipe before stopping, it can affect one cabin, two cabins, or hundreds of cabins, all caused by one individual.  When your toilet doesn't work, generally you don't know that others are affected as well, unless you hear it from your neighbors.

Of course it does.  More toilets, more passengers, more opportunity for someone to flush something down that shouldn't.

Can the tissue supplied by the ship be flushed? 

47 minutes ago, Ombud said:

Can the tissue supplied by the ship be flushed? 

Do you mean toilet tissue, or facial tissue?  In reality, any toilet tissue is flushable in a well maintained vacuum toilet system.  While facial tissue is produced similarly to toilet tissue, and will normally not cause problems, its just better not to flush them.  What really cause problems are wipes, whether baby, adult, sanitizing, or make-up types.  These products are made differently than toilet or facial tissue, in that the paper fibers are woven, not pressed, and many have plastic fibers in them to provide strength.  These can cause clogs almost always.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have seen dirty water coming from the sink tap before.  Ive also had cabins on a couple of ships where the toilet flushed when it wanted.  Meaning, it occasionally wouldn’t flush or was delayed in flushing when we wanted it to flush, but it would also randomly flush itself.  

On 5/24/2022 at 9:40 AM, JF - retired RRT said:

Ship toilets and hotel toilets are entirely different animals.

Better to compare hotel toilets to the one you have at home.

Ship toilets might (maybe, possibly) compare to the toilets on the space station.

Spot on.

15 minutes ago, curious_st said:

I have seen dirty water coming from the sink tap before.

That really isn't "dirty" water.  The discoloration is caused by the calcium scale that has broken off the inside of the water pipes when the pipes are drained for repairs.  It is not particularly appealing looking, but is safe.

17 minutes ago, curious_st said:

Meaning, it occasionally wouldn’t flush or was delayed in flushing when we wanted it to flush,

Both caused by lack of vacuum at your toilet, caused by a blockage somewhere downstream from your toilet.

18 minutes ago, curious_st said:

but it would also randomly flush itself.

And this is what I describe as the "ghost" flush, above.

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

Do you mean toilet tissue, or facial tissue?  In reality, any toilet tissue is flushable in a well maintained vacuum toilet system.  While facial tissue is produced similarly to toilet tissue, and will normally not cause problems, its just better not to flush them.  What really cause problems are wipes, whether baby, adult, sanitizing, or make-up types.  These products are made differently than toilet or facial tissue, in that the paper fibers are woven, not pressed, and many have plastic fibers in them to provideissues

Last cruise the in our cabin were thinner than the toilet paper. You needed at least two to not blow a hole through them. I think it's a preventive measure just in case you do flush them.