Lists of Medicines not Allowed in Foreign Countries?

Several you tubers talk about how many medicines common in the USA are banned in other countries, and stress that you can't have those on you if your cruise is set to stop in those countries.  Where can I find a list of what medicines are not allowed in which countries?  My stop is Canada, so I'm not expecting too much difference, but I still want to be sure that I don't bring anything I could get in trouble for.  I will fly from Vancouver back to the USA and don't want anything, especially a prescription, to get confiscated or get me in trouble.  I know to keep the prescriptions in the original packaging.

1 hour ago, Kitty Ellas Mom said:

Several you tubers talk about how many medicines common in the USA are banned in other countries, and stress that you can't have those on you if your cruise is set to stop in those countries.  Where can I find a list of what medicines are not allowed in which countries?  My stop is Canada, so I'm not expecting too much difference, but I still want to be sure that I don't bring anything I could get in trouble for.  I will fly from Vancouver back to the USA and don't want anything, especially a prescription, to get confiscated or get me in trouble.  I know to keep the prescriptions in the original packaging.

You do not need to keep most medicines in their original container. Anyone can put anything in those containers. 
Get the pharmacy’s app (like CVS) which has list, description and pics of your meds along with name of prescribing MD.

Alternatively, you can get a printed “back panel” from the pharmacist.

You’ll have to contact each foreign country visited if you have narcotics and some other Rx meds. They will need to be in the original containers (which of course is ridiculous).

It would be nice to have a service like that app but I go to the military base so, no access to anything like that.  I suppose I could ask the pharmacy to print out my prescription list but they are usually 100% slammed so I don't see them doing this for me......

9 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Not sure what this has to do with West Coast Departures,  but have been to perhaps 50 countries in the world, and NOT ONE has asked about the meds we carry. Not one.

This was originally on the First Time Cruisers board. A mod moved it to West Coast Departures. Not sure why here either, except that the poster mentioned flying from Vancouver to the US.

• Like 1

I'm the OP and I wasn't sure where to put this question so I put it in first time cruisers.  Yes, I am departing from Vancouver;  I'm on a cruise that goes Whittier to Vancouver and I am from USA.  I will fly from Vancouver to the USA east cost.  I am wondering how I can find out if anything I have is banned in Canada.  It is doubtful b/c I have few meds, but I was shocked to learn about some of the common American meds that are banned, for example, in countries such as China or Japan (from you tube videos such as Tips for Travelers).  I just wondered if there was an easy resource to look this up for Canada, or any country I would travel to.

Edited by Kitty Ellas Mom

Given it's Canada @Kitty Ellas Mom this page seems to cover your needs. Firstly, there's the general note that as a visitor with prescription drugs, you're allowed to bring them with you for personal use (and specifically addressing the 'original container' issue - not required); secondly, if you want to check into any specific meds there's a link there to the Office of Controlled Substances - which has contact info. Unless you're on prescribed narcotics, something experimental or only recently approved, there's a very good chance that the same meds are also prescribed up here... and if so, very likely being sold for a lot less!

• Like 2

20 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Not sure what this has to do with West Coast Departures,  but have been to perhaps 50 countries in the world, and NOT ONE has asked about the meds we carry. Not one.

This ^^^^

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I'm going on my 1st cruise in March 23 and I was also wondering if there was a list of meds not allowed into the USA. I have Tramadol and some anti epilepsy tablets among lots of painkillers. It was the tramadol I was most worried about. I hadn't thought about taking a few off the ship when in Port.  Do I need a list for every Port in the  Caribbean?

On 6/14/2022 at 7:59 AM, Jojogingerwood said:

Hi, I'm going on my 1st cruise in March 23 and I was also wondering if there was a list of meds not allowed into the USA. I have Tramadol and some anti epilepsy tablets among lots of painkillers. It was the tramadol I was most worried about. I hadn't thought about taking a few off the ship when in Port.  Do I need a list for every Port in the  Caribbean?

Tramadol is a DEA schedule IV and is legal in the US with a prescription.  You would have to look up each drug as there's no all inclusive list of allowed and not allowed.  Oxy is considered worse than Tramadol so you are fine with a prescription.  Not sure what "lots of painkillers" means, but you should look up each on the DEA www site.  Again, that only covers the USA.  You would have to look at each island for their rules.  Best bet is don't take anything off the ship.  

On 6/17/2022 at 1:47 AM, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

Tramadol is a DEA schedule IV and is legal in the US with a prescription.  You would have to look up each drug as there's no all inclusive list of allowed and not allowed.  Oxy is considered worse than Tramadol so you are fine with a prescription.  Not sure what "lots of painkillers" means, but you should look up each on the DEA www site.  Again, that only covers the USA.  You would have to look at each island for their rules.  Best bet is don't take anything off the ship.  

Thanks for the advice about not taking off ship, I had thought about that but weren't sure if it was allowed.

• 2 weeks later...

When we did a Pacific Coastal from San Diego to Vancouver we breezed right off the ship to our luggage and out of the terminal.  Canadian customs weren't examining anyone or their luggage. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/26/2022 at 8:42 PM, 5waldos said:

Do not bring any cannabis or CBC or THC creams or lotions or candy, etc etc. Other than that- any prescriptions are probably fine going to Canada. In reasonable amounts. 

I’ve looked this up because I use CBD oil for my neuropathy.  Nothing else helps. Because it is hemp based, I can bring it with me.  It’s ironic that although cannabis is legal in Canada, you can’t bring in any derivatives.  I saw a video of a young woman with a prescription being disallowed.

On 6/26/2022 at 9:52 AM, nslatin said:

When we did a Pacific Coastal from San Diego to Vancouver we breezed right off the ship to our luggage and out of the terminal.  Canadian customs weren't examining anyone or their luggage. 

That is very very often the case where-ever in the world you travel. 

Until it isn't. Never worth taking a chance.