Last minute deals?? Do they really exist?

CrazyTrain2

Hello,

I've seen a few folks talking about last minute cruise deals.  I've looked around but I must be looking in the wrong place(s).

Do these deals really exist?  Are they really that good?  How far ahead are the deals posted?  Do you need to be located near the port?

We are finally empty nesters and can take advantage of more spontaneous travel.

Yes, they exist.  You have to monitor the sailings that you're interested in closely.

My methodology  is to pick "a striking price" and book.  If you wait too long the price could go up again....or sell out.  It's the old "risk vs reward" thing"!

There is no magic formula. Last minute deals depend entirely on how much space is on the ship. Popular cruises may go up.  If you live near the port transportation costs aren't a factor.  If you have to fly somewhere, last minute flights can be expensive.

I just made final payment for Alaska in September - current price is higher than when I booked a month ago. And many categories sold out or limited.

Best bargains are going to be off season most likely, plus reposition or transatlantic. Early/late season can be cheaper but may run into logistical issues (weather, closures).

Yes, they exist. I was able to book the Pearl in the 3 bedroom garden villa about 2 weeks before sailing at a steal of a price. 

If you live close to a particular port, just keep searching for trips that leave from there and sort the results by price low-to-high. 

If you don't care about the flight prices, just search based on embarkation month and sort low-to-high.

Cruiseplum is a good site that does the work for you too and also compares many cruise lines at once.

With NCL I have always booked within a couple of months of sailing because otherwise the prices are too high for me personally. I find that about 1 to 2 months before is often a pretty good time price wise. Still plenty of time to book flights and hotels and since it is past the final payment for the US based reservations, if there is space on board, the prices go down a lot. And you can get a courtesy hold from NCL for a day, so take the one day courtesy hold and see if you can make all of your other arrangements work with flights and hotels and everything and then can confirm it. 

39 minutes ago, geleisen said:

With NCL I have always booked within a couple of months of sailing because otherwise the prices are too high for me personally. I find that about 1 to 2 months before is often a pretty good time price wise. Still plenty of time to book flights and hotels and since it is past the final payment for the US based reservations, if there is space on board, the prices go down a lot. And you can get a courtesy hold from NCL for a day, so take the one day courtesy hold and see if you can make all of your other arrangements work with flights and hotels and everything and then can confirm it. 

No more courtesy hold, at least not on-line, for late bookings.  I don't know when that option drops off, possibly as early as the final payment date.  A pcc might be able to put a hold.

On 5/25/2022 at 10:17 AM, MsTabbyKats said:

Yes, they exist.  You have to monitor the sailings that you're interested in closely.

My methodology  is to pick "a striking price" and book.  If you wait too long the price could go up again....or sell out.  It's the old "risk vs reward" thing"!

Exactly.  I’ll look every day at cruise fares on cruise lines, ships and destinations I might be interested in.

As you say…when you find one, don’t sleep on it.  Book it.

I’ve been burned before by waiting and missed out on some good deals by thinking “I’ll book it later”.  Fare went away.

I just watch prices on all the lines.  Yesterday I booked an 8 day southern Caribbean cruise out of Miami on RCCL Explorer of the Seas (Aruba, Bonaire & Curacao) departing on 9/3/2022.  Balcony guaranty was $866/pp.  Roundtrip air from Boston to Miami was $188/pp.  

40 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Exactly.  I’ll look every day at cruise fares on cruise lines, ships and destinations I might be interested in.

As you say…when you find one, don’t sleep on it.  Book it.

I’ve been burned before by waiting and missed out on some good deals by thinking “I’ll book it later”.  Fare went away.

GG - hey there, sorry to tease you.  How about checking your Delta flight options quick - next Sunday out of NYC, Joy to Bermuda with a planned stopover at Norfolk, VA ... not a rock bottom or cheap solo fare, but knowing your taste & preference and extra OBC/rebate options (AE).  Looks like with a balcony guarantee, to be assigned and FAS, maybe a chance to get a free, large balcony or even aft balcony - Haven, lots of upgrades done, Spas gone but Club/mini-balconies remaining ...  Super cheap ones at sailaway prices, of course will be there with the upgrading not completed processed.  Bermuda TA is now easier.  

Although you prefer MIA or another FL port ... Joy is the only ship running out of NY this summer, demand is definitely going to be there and supply only going to get tighter.  

Total
$1,863.43
STATEROOM
1 Guest
  • Balcony
    $2,912
    70% OFF Second Guest
    $1,419.60
FREE AT SEA
  • Open Bar
    Selected
  • Specialty Dining
    Selected
  • Shore Excursions
    Included
  • WiFi
    Included
+MORE OFFERS
  • 70% OFF Second Guest
    Included
  • Subtotal
    $1,419.60
  • Gov. Taxes, Fees and Port Expenses
    $287.43
  • Open Bar Gratuities
    $138.60
  • Specialty Dining Gratuities
    $17.80
Total Due
$1,863.4

P.S.  We think alike, hahaha - Henry 

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 1

Just now, mking8288 said:

GG - hey there, sorry to tease you.  How about checking your Delta flight options quick - next Sunday out of NYC, Joy to Bermuda with a planned stopover at Norfolk, VA ... not a rock bottom or cheap solo fare, but knowing your taste & preference and extra OBC/rebate options (AE).  Looks like with a balcony guarantee, to be assigned and FAS, maybe a chance to get a free, large balcony or even aft balcony - Haven, lots of upgrades done, Spas gone but Club/mini-balconies remaining ...  Super cheap ones at sailaway prices, of course will be there with the upgrading not completed processed.  Bermuda TA is now easier.  

Although you prefer MIA or another FL port ... Joy is the only ship running out of NY this summer, demand is definitely going to be there and supply only going to get tighter.  

Total
$1,863.43
STATEROOM
1 Guest
  • Balcony
    $2,912
    70% OFF Second Guest
    $1,419.60
FREE AT SEA
  • Open Bar
    Selected
  • Specialty Dining
    Selected
  • Shore Excursions
    Included
  • WiFi
    Included
+MORE OFFERS
  • 70% OFF Second Guest
    Included
  • Subtotal
    $1,419.60
  • Gov. Taxes, Fees and Port Expenses
    $287.43
  • Open Bar Gratuities
    $138.60
  • Specialty Dining Gratuities
    $17.80
Total Due
$1,863.4

Funny you posted that.  I was just looking at that sailing now.

• Haha 1

We booked a last minute deal on Bliss to Mexican Riviera in April.  Total cost was $1950 for club balcony on deck 14.  After cruise was over Adding two thermal spa passes and all extra spending total cost of trip including RT airfare from portland to LAX was $3300.00

• 2 weeks later...

I've only gone on cruises within less a month of booking (don't know if that's last minute). I'm cheap and travel solo so I'm watching the price of the cabin (don't really need any of the "freebies"). It's been hit or miss with me, however I've never seen the prices go up in price for last minute from when I had initially looked. Like someone mentioned, you have to take into consideration airfare going up in price if you will be flying in. 

13 minutes ago, The Collie said:

I've only gone on cruises within less a month of booking (don't know if that's last minute). I'm cheap and travel solo so I'm watching the price of the cabin (don't really need any of the "freebies"). It's been hit or miss with me, however I've never seen the prices go up in price for last minute from when I had initially looked. Like someone mentioned, you have to take into consideration airfare going up in price if you will be flying in. 

I have a cruise leaving in just over a month.  With reduced solo supplement, OV was 2.6K when I booked about 4 months in advance.  Promos included FAS, LATDBLX and BOGO airfare.  Itinerary change discount reduced fare to about 2.1K. Price reduction 90 days out resulted in FCC, further reducing my fare.  Current pricing is back to 2.6K, the same as my original booking, but no extra points, no reduced airfare (which I did use).

Do prices typically drop right after final payment? And if so how long exactly, a few days, a few weeks? Or do you really need to wait until 1-2 months out? 

Thinking about booking refundable air and hotel and wait to actually book the cruise. 

7 hours ago, classy_cruiser said:

Do prices typically drop right after final payment? And if so how long exactly, a few days, a few weeks? Or do you really need to wait until 1-2 months out? 

Thinking about booking refundable air and hotel and wait to actually book the cruise. 

This spring I was looking around and found a 14 day Alaskan cruise for 1700 each Cdn (with the pkgs) for an interior.  When I got on board,   I asked and received an upgrade to balcony at no charge.  This was exactly 14 days out.  I thought it was a good price.  We drove to port....