Last minute cancel due to illness (not Covid)?

We're currently on hold with Royal but wondering if anyone else has dealt with this and has advice/support. 

We are supposed to board Adventure today. We filled out our health screening yesterday and were fine. Today, not so much. It's not covid, tested negative this morning. Seems to be a stomach bug/food poisoning type thing. I'm not going anywhere. I know for Covid the Cruise with Confidence applies, but I have no idea what they do for regular horrible illness.

Aside from being sick as a dog, I'm really upset. We have travel insurance so I'm sure we'll get something back that way if we have to. Hope everyone else's day is going better.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, ladysoleil said:

We're currently on hold with Royal but wondering if anyone else has dealt with this and has advice/support. 

We are supposed to board Adventure today. We filled out our health screening yesterday and were fine. Today, not so much. It's not covid, tested negative this morning. Seems to be a stomach bug/food poisoning type thing. I'm not going anywhere. I know for Covid the Cruise with Confidence applies, but I have no idea what they do for regular horrible illness.

Aside from being sick as a dog, I'm really upset. We have travel insurance so I'm sure we'll get something back that way if we have to. Hope everyone else's day is going better.

If you get them on the phone and tell them you think you may have covid but not sure and don't want to chance it. They may allow you to cancel that way. Just a hint of the C word may allow you to move the cruise funds to another sailing, not a full cash refund...........I would try that if you think your cruise insurance may not cover the total price you paid out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This happened to me in December! I got the Noro the night before we were to leave on Mariner.

You need a Covid test today showing that it isn’t Covid because if it is covid(those symptoms are also symptoms of Covid) then RC handles the refund.

You need to see a doc (I did a telehealth appointment) because you will need the doc to fill out a special form from the insurance company.

You then submit the invoice of how much you paid for the cruise and the medical form from the doc and the insurance will send you a check. I submitted everything online and got a check in two weeks. This was insurance through RC.

Of course things could have changed since then about the Covid rule of RC reimbursement.

Definitely get a doctor’s appointment today or tomorrow.

Let us know how it goes and feel better soon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Buccaneergirl said:

This happened to me in December! I got the Noro the night before we were to leave on Mariner.

You need a Covid test today showing that it isn’t Covid because if it is covid(those symptoms are also symptoms of Covid) then RC handles the refund.

You need to see a doc (I did a telehealth appointment) because you will need the doc to fill out a special form from the insurance company.

You then submit the invoice of how much you paid for the cruise and the medical form from the doc and the insurance will send you a check. I submitted everything online and got a check in two weeks. This was insurance through RC.

Of course things could have changed since then about the Covid rule of RC reimbursement.

This is good advice if going for a cash refund.....................but if just trying to shift the cruise funds to another cruise Royal might easily allow that.........Pretty sure this sailing isn't booked full anyway so by them just shifting the money to another unfilled sailing isn't a real  big deal for them.

Like said above getting a Doctor's note of some kind could be useful also if you need it later you will have it on record.

Looks like you live in NJ and are sailing from NJ so just driving to the port. That is good, no flights or hotel's to worry about. Just the cruise fare for a 5 night sailing.

Good Luck

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

This is good advice if going for a cash refund.....................but if just trying to shift the cruise funds to another cruise Royal might easily allow that.........Pretty sure this sailing isn't booked full anyway so by them just shifting the money to another unfilled sailing isn't a real  big deal for them.

Like said above getting a Doctor's note of some kind could be useful also if you need it later you will have it on record.

Thanks to both of you! Not exactly a happy ending but they did give us a full refund. We asked and they actually would not let us shift the booking. I thought that was going to go the opposite way. 

This was not how I wanted my first vacation in 3 years to go, but, here we are. 

• Like 8

1 minute ago, ladysoleil said:

Thanks to both of you! Not exactly a happy ending but they did give us a full refund. We asked and they actually would not let us shift the booking. I thought that was going to go the opposite way. 

Pretty much was sure Royal would help you out because they don't want sick people boarding their ships.

Now get on the phone with insurance company and see if they will switch the cruise insurance to your new cruise when ever you pick that so you don't have to buy insurance again.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Now get on the phone with insurance company and see if they will switch the cruise insurance to your new cruise when ever you pick that so you don't have to buy insurance again.

That's a good idea that I wouldn't have thought of. Thanks. 

And hey, now I have a cruise to plan. Again. (But later...🤢)

5 minutes ago, ladysoleil said:

Glad you got a full refund without having to jump through all the hoops I did while I was so sick.

So sorry that this was going to be your first cruise back in 3 years and now you can’t go!

Our cruise was a Christmas cruise with family, so it sucked to be home and sick at Christmas. My Christmas meal was chicken noodle soup.

Take care and glad it all worked out.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, ladysoleil said:

Wow.  I’m really surprised they gave you a full refund.  Did they require prof your were sick?   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

If you get them on the phone and tell them you think you may have covid but not sure and don't want to chance it. They may allow you to cancel that way. Just a hint of the C word may allow you to move the cruise funds to another sailing, not a full cash refund...........I would try that if you think your cruise insurance may not cover the total price you paid out.

They are now asking for proof before they will issue a refund or FCC.  Too many dishonest people like you suggested taking advantage of their policy.

1 hour ago, ladysoleil said:

You were very lucky.

23 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

They are now asking for proof before they will issue a refund or FCC.  Too many dishonest people like you suggested taking advantage of their policy.

Didn't sound like the OP has to send in any proof?

3 hours ago, topnole said:

Wow.  I’m really surprised they gave you a full refund.  Did they require prof your were sick?   

They didn't. My husband had to talk to them as I was occupied at the time. But at the end of the day, I would have failed the health screening so there was no way I should have been on the boat. I know I'm lucky to not be out the money but this is now the third time this has been cancelled. It will supposedly take 30 days for the refund so I guess I'll see what happens.

1 hour ago, ladysoleil said:

They didn't. My husband had to talk to them as I was occupied at the time. But at the end of the day, I would have failed the health screening so there was no way I should have been on the boat. I know I'm lucky to not be out the money but this is now the third time this has been cancelled. It will supposedly take 30 days for the refund so I guess I'll see what happens.

Very unfortunate that you got ill at such a bad time, but very fortunate to get a refund.  I’ve had to eat that cost once when my daughter got sick right before a cruise and that was a bit depressing in all ways.  

Hope you are feeling better soon.  Be careful because most I know with Covid right now are experiencing similar symptoms as you.  May want to test again to be sure.  Best to you and your family.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rudeney said:

May they refunded because GI issues are a COVID symptom and that would have failed the questionnaire and thus qualified under CWC.

Makes you wonder.  But you would think some medical documentation is needed for a full refund.  Otherwise everyone could just claim these symptoms and back out at the very last minute.  Regardless, glad she was able to get her money back.  

5 hours ago, ladysoleil said:

Great!   I hope you feel better soon.   

2 hours ago, topnole said:

Makes you wonder.  But you would think some medical documentation is needed for a full refund.  Otherwise everyone could just claim these symptoms and back out at the very last minute.  Regardless, glad she was able to get her money back.  

I guess there could be a problem with people faking symptoms to get a refund, but I'd think there's many more people masking or ignoring their valid symptoms in order not to have to cancel their vacations. It probably balances out.  And I would expect that RCI has factored that into the CWC program.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, cruisinfanatic said:

This is what insurance is for

Spot on. But sometimes these insurance robbers get very nit picky, turn around and find reasons to deny you from getting covered. 

11 hours ago, Buccaneergirl said:

100% agree.  See a doctor ASAP.  The doctor needs to sign a form saying you are unfit for travel or the travel insurance people will not pay.

Also, as others have said get a COVID PCR test.

From a medical view point, please get a PCR test when able and until then, wait a day or 2, isolated, and do a Rapid antigen test. You will feel better just knowing the results. 

Call and make a telemed visit with your dr ASAP. That way it will be documented that you are in fact ill, feeling like doo-doo and truly cannot sail. You do not know if you will be asked for some medical "proof" father down the line. 

I am so glad it has worked out well for you. A full refund is fabulous. Take care, Stay hydrated. Get well. 

I got covid last weekend and was due to board Jewel of the Seas today for an Iceland and Ireland cruise.

My travel agent rang Royal on Monday and they were happy to move the funds to another cruise about a month from now (we had already picked one out in advance). They did also offer a cash refund as another alternative,  all without any proof required of a positive test , which I thought we might need. So it was well handled in my opinion.

Now the flights I had booked separately are another matter ......

• Like 1