Reasons for Price Increase from 2022 to 2023

Dittos

29 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

Airfares are going up too.  

Airfare was what killed it for me! I was this close to booking a cruise to Southern Caribbean out of San Juan. Last minute decided to check airfare and it went up from high $300 to high $600. No way! So we booked something that didn't require flying. 

5 hours ago, Syracusefan44 said:

Carnival Corporation reported debt of $33.2 billion for the 4th quarter of 2021 and that increased to $34.9 billion for the first quarter of 2022.  If things don’t change in the near future the cruising industry as a whole is in big trouble.

Staggering amount of debt. By no means am I a financial guy, but based on Carnival's numbers, this would be like every single passenger, on every Carnival owned line, paying $1000/passenger cruise day, for a year's worth of scheduled cruises. We like Princess, but not that much.

Edited by mtnesterz

11 hours ago, JimmyVWine said:

Inflation is what we call the aggregate effect of price increases. It is not the cause of price increases.

Aggregate effect of prices increases then.

Cheers

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Dittos said:

Help me understand why I am seeing such a huge price difference between cruises in 2022 and 2023?  I am hoping to book an Island or Emerald Princess Cruise around the British Isles for June 2023.  The starting prices are twice as much as the ones for the same cruise in August of 2022.  Any ideas?

This is an easy one. They NEED the 💰 💵 money.

The Captain of The Rowboat,

Tony 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lucky TGO said:

This is an easy one. They NEED the 💰 💵 money.

The Captain of The Rowboat,

Tony 

Also, people are willing to pay the higher prices. Cruise pricing is extremely elastic. If prices seem high, one of two things must be true. Either the pricing is aspirational and people aren’t paying it, in which case prices will drop, or people are willing to pay it, in which case prices won’t drop. There are a lot of travelers who are flush with cash from being locked down for so long and who are itching to get back out there. There is a tendency to conclude that higher prices are killing the economy. But the more common explanation is that inflation is caused by a booming economy with people spending money like sailors on leave.  This might result in popular cruises being priced out of the comfort zone of many if they were expecting prices in line with the past. At least for a while. 

• Like 1

There is nothing I know if that is as supply/demand driven as cruise pricing. It is always all over the place. I cant believe the deals I am seeing on cruises for west cost of North America right now so probably everywhere to some extent. They are just trying to get things going again. They are losing a bundle on every cruise but would be losing even more if the ships remained at anchor. If and when things finally get back almost to normal prices are going to get a lot higher, especially if fuel stays anywhere near these prices. 

6 hours ago, AF-1 said:

Airfares are going up too.  

There is currently a big difference between airlines and Princess.

Airlines have cut back significantly on the number of flights available while demand is high. So even without increased fuel costs, prices are higher due to demand.

Princess on the other hand is having trouble filling its ships with passengers.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, whataboutport said:

Airfare was what killed it for me! I was this close to booking a cruise to Southern Caribbean out of San Juan. Last minute decided to check airfare and it went up from high $300 to high $600. No way! So we booked something that didn't require flying. 

I have a cruise booked out of San Juan for Mar 2023;  the airfare is around $1,900 per person round trip.  Hope airfares come down before I book something.  The above airfare is Delta; which is my preferred airline.  

Edited by AF-1

9 hours ago, JimmyVWine said:

There are a lot of travelers who are flush with cash from being locked down for so long and who are itching to get back out there. There is a tendency to conclude that higher prices are killing the economy. But the more common explanation is that inflation is caused by a booming economy with people spending money like sailors on leave.  

Your first sentence explained the root cause of inflation:  Too much cash chasing too few goods.  Booming economies do not cause inflation, printing and pumping out too much cash is the main root cause of inflation.  I've never heard the "common explanation" of booming economies causing inflation.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

Your first sentence explained the root cause of inflation:  Too much cash chasing too few goods.  Booming economies do not cause inflation, printing and pumping out too much cash is the main root cause of inflation.  I've never heard the "common explanation" of booming economies causing inflation.

“Typically, higher inflation is caused by strong economic growth. If Aggregate Demand (AD) in an economy expands faster than aggregate supply, we would expect to see a higher inflation rate. If demand is rising faster than supply this suggests that economic growth is higher than the long run sustainable rate of growth.”

economicshelp.org

31 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

“Typically, higher inflation is caused by strong economic growth. If Aggregate Demand (AD) in an economy expands faster than aggregate supply, we would expect to see a higher inflation rate. If demand is rising faster than supply this suggests that economic growth is higher than the long run sustainable rate of growth.”

economicshelp.org

Your source isn't exactly considered to be impartial.  Without getting into a political issue here, there are other sources which would strongly disagree with economicshelp.org's premises.  I've looked at my stock portfolio and the booming economy must have bypassed my stocks.  😢 

We're teetering on the edge of thread drift and prohibited content, so I'll end it here.

• Like 1

Freedom of the Seas - 2017

Traveling on 21.6 knots average speed, Freedom of the Seas has an approximate size of 1,112 feet long. The ship’s standard fuel consumption is rumored to be around 28,000 gallons per hour. Doing the math on this gives us 28,000 gallons x $3.007 per gallon diesel cost.

This means that Freedom has an estimated hourly fuel cost of $84,196. Multiply $84,196 by 24 hours, and fuel consumption per day is an astounding $2,020,704.00!

Princess cruise line 5 largest cruise ships:  Multiply 5 times $2,020,704 equals $10,103,520 per day in 2017 dollars.  (In today’s 2022 dollars, fuel cost is even higher).

Also, a good read from “The Points Guy” about Carnival Corp. cleaning up their act after several environmental violations.  He talks about the newest Carnival ship – Mardi Gras which is a diesel/LNG-electric hybrid (meaning that it runs on a combination of the two) is more efficient than a vessel that runs on one or the other because it allows the ship’s engineers to match the amount of energy produced by the engines to the amount of energy needed to run the vessel without worrying that there won’t be enough (which would cause a blackout) or that there’s too much (which would create waste).

If you like to read more detail - please refer to the source(s) indicated below.

Source:  boatinggeeks.com, Thepointsguy.com

5 hours ago, AF-1 said:

I have a cruise booked out of San Juan for Mar 2023;  the airfare is around $1,900 per person round trip. 

That is one of the main reasons Princess stopped using San Juan as a home port over a decade ago.

The high cost of getting to/from the port discouraged bookings from the mainland. As a result, the cruises were being sold at bargain basement prices to residents of Puerto Rico. Not a sustainable economic model for Princess.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AF-1 said:

I have a cruise booked out of San Juan for Mar 2023;  the airfare is around $1,900 per person round trip.  Hope airfares come down before I book something.  The above airfare is Delta; which is my preferred airline.  

Yeah. My economy flight for the Sydney -> HK cruise is the same price as my 18 day cruise. 

Edited by Ombud

8 hours ago, AF-1 said:

I hope your airfare comes down before then as well. I wouldn't even fly to the moon for that price!

The thing that frustrated me the most was when I searched for the flights, with the exact flights chosen, the website was showing me the $300+ price, and once I selected both my flights and clicked next the fare jumped to double and gave me the reason that fares fluctuate often and quickly. I checked many different sites and they all pulled that same crap. I even had my friend try on his computer and same thing. I heard that if your computer knows you have been looking at the same flights/vacation often it will raise prices to make you think there is a high demand and you purchase. 

We had an incredible price for our upcoming Med cruise in July.

I wouldn't expect this going forward into 2023 and that's how it panning out, not just with Princess and Cruising as general but every land based holiday company as well.

Three months out appears to be the sweet spot across the spectrum but of course your cabin choice may be slightly limited if it was to suddenly take off. My guess is regular cruisers are more resolute but most people I know still won't entertain a cruise.  

18 hours ago, caribill said:

That is one of the main reasons Princess stopped using San Juan as a home port over a decade ago.

The high cost of getting to/from the port discouraged bookings from the mainland. As a result, the cruises were being sold at bargain basement prices to residents of Puerto Rico. Not a sustainable economic model for Princess.

Here is what I'm looking at.  Delta is my preferred airline and their prices are way to high.  American and Southwest both have prices in the mid $500 range round trip.  I guess I will wait a few more weeks to see if Delta lowers prices to match American and Southwest.  BTW, I am on a Celebrity Ship.  First time sailing Celebrity; my travel agent is taking my wife and I with them;  they want us to try Celebrity to see how we like it.  Thanks for your feedback about why Princess no longer sails out of San Juan

16 hours ago, whataboutport said:

I hope your airfare comes down before then as well. I wouldn't even fly to the moon for that price!

The thing that frustrated me the most was when I searched for the flights, with the exact flights chosen, the website was showing me the $300+ price, and once I selected both my flights and clicked next the fare jumped to double and gave me the reason that fares fluctuate often and quickly. I checked many different sites and they all pulled that same crap. I even had my friend try on his computer and same thing. I heard that if your computer knows you have been looking at the same flights/vacation often it will raise prices to make you think there is a high demand and you purchase. 

If you clear your cache out of your browser then the airlines don't know anything.  By clearing the cache on a computer and or browser you are basically getting rid of all your search history.  Cheers

On 5/28/2022 at 6:22 AM, Dittos said:

Help me understand why I am seeing such a huge price difference between cruises in 2022 and 2023?  I am hoping to book an Island or Emerald Princess Cruise around the British Isles for June 2023.  The starting prices are twice as much as the ones for the same cruise in August of 2022.  Any ideas?

Get use to it.

On 5/28/2022 at 10:11 AM, CineGraphic said:

Have you not been to the gas pumps or grocery store in the last 6 months!?

Fares are going up because the price of everything else is going up.

Well, obviously people have pockets deep enough to pay the higher fares. 

17 hours ago, AF-1 said:

If you clear your cache out of your browser then the airlines don't know anything.  By clearing the cache on a computer and or browser you are basically getting rid of all your search history.  Cheers

Yes that's what I heard and that's why hubby tells me to use the Opera browser. It doesn't save anything but I only use it sometimes bc it's annoying you gotta enter in your user id/PW for everything. But like I said, even had my travel mate check on his computer. He hadn't looked at all and the same thing happened to him.

19 hours ago, AF-1 said:

BTW, I am on a Celebrity Ship.  First time sailing Celebrity; my travel agent is taking my wife and I with them;  they want us to try Celebrity to see how we like it.

Have you checked what the airfare would be if you used Celebrity's equivalent of EZAir?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, caribill said:

Have you checked what the airfare would be if you used Celebrity's equivalent of EZAir?

No I have not;  but will do that.  Thanks for the heads up

On 5/30/2022 at 3:47 AM, AF-1 said:

Here is what I'm looking at.  Delta is my preferred airline and their prices are way to high.  American and Southwest both have prices in the mid $500 range round trip.  I guess I will wait a few more weeks to see if Delta lowers prices to match American and Southwest.  BTW, I am on a Celebrity Ship.  First time sailing Celebrity; my travel agent is taking my wife and I with them;  they want us to try Celebrity to see how we like it.  Thanks for your feedback about why Princess no longer sails out of San Juan

At least with Southwest your first 2 bags fly free