Smiths for Airports out of business

oskidunker

If you're open to non-car transportation options and don't have much luggage, Great Western Railway has ~hourly service with no train changes. I believe it's single-class though (i.e., no 1st). We love riding the trains but travel pretty light so know it's not for everyone.

7 hours ago, oskidunker said:

Anyone have a good recommendation for a company that I could use? Arriving a week before cruise on Sirena. Need to get to Bath and then from Bath to Portsmouth for Oct 1 cruise

We have had excellent service in the UK and Europe from Blacklane. I can't advise how their pricing compares to Smith's - never used them.

Blacklane global chauffeur service | Upgrade your travels

🍺🥌

• Like 2

5 hours ago, CurlerRob said:

We have had excellent service in the UK and Europe from Blacklane. I can't advise how their pricing compares to Smith's - never used them.

Blacklane global chauffeur service | Upgrade your travels

🍺🥌

I find Blacklane expensive in the UK, but use them in the US & elsewhere and find them reasonably priced.  I have a trip to Berlin coming up next week and was originally flying from Edinburgh as the ticket was significantly cheaper than the equivalent from Glasgow (15 mins away from me).  Blacklane wanted £185 for the 48 mile trip to Edinburgh airport - even a black cab would have been cheaper at £120.  I could have found a local cab company to take me for £80.  I've since taken the hit & paid the supplement to fly from Glasgow for convenience's sake.

Blacklane wants $250 each way from Heathrow to Bath.Blackberry wont do it. Considering covid dont want bus or train. Should I just call a taxi when there or can this be done in advance. 

thanks

We used Eddie Manning’s service twice - once in 2010 for sightseeing/transfer from London hotel to Southampton cruise port and again in 2019 for straight transfer from Heathrow airport to Southampton cruise port.  He’s not cheap, but ABSOLUTELY reliable and really responsive and easy to deal with via email and phone.  I got burned badly by the cheaper Blackberry Service twice in 2019 - cruise port to London and again London hotel to airport, and learned my lesson - better to pay up for reliability..

https://www.limo.co.uk/

39 minutes ago, ColoradoCruiser88 said:

We used Eddie Manning’s service twice - once in 2010 for sightseeing/transfer from London hotel to Southampton cruise port and again in 2019 for straight transfer from Heathrow airport to Southampton cruise port.  He’s not cheap, but ABSOLUTELY reliable and really responsive and easy to deal with via email and phone.  I got burned badly by the cheaper Blackberry Service twice in 2019 - cruise port to London and again London hotel to airport, and learned my lesson - better to pay up for reliability..

https://www.limo.co.uk/

Thanks. I emailed him. We will see if he wants to go to  Bath. 

On 5/31/2022 at 4:06 PM, oskidunker said:

Thanks. I emailed him. We will see if he wants to go to  Bath. 

They wanted about$700  Heathrow to bath then Bath  to Portsmouth .The B and B I am staying at in Bath suggested these people. They are in Bath. https://www.romanbathprivatehire.co.uk/instant-quote/. About $409 total. Easy to book, prompt response. Booked it with them. Good reviews 

On 5/29/2022 at 12:36 PM, AMHuntFerry said:

If you're open to non-car transportation options and don't have much luggage, Great Western Railway has ~hourly service with no train changes. I believe it's single-class though (i.e., no 1st). We love riding the trains but travel pretty light so know it's not for everyone.

We are thinking about using the train to get from Portsmouth Harbour to London.   Never been there.  Would it be an issue taking 2 full sized suitcase on board?  One for each of us.  We're capable of handling our own luggage.  Just wondering about where to place it on board.

Here's a handy link: https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

Depending on the route there is often a place to leave large luggage by the doors. I would think that trains between Portsmouth and London would have space for luggage. In London is another horse...may want to avoid busy times or take a cab.We've used the underground but only with carry-ons.

Public transport in the U.K. is generally good , us Brits tend not to drive long distances as is the norm is North America , with petrol prices ridiculously high at the moment it makes private hire much more expensive . The train , bus and tube network is nit a problem with luggage it fact it’s quite normal to see people with luggage on networks, plus we can be quite helpful in helping people if they are not sure where they are going .

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 5/31/2022 at 1:24 PM, oskidunker said:

Blacklane wants $250 each way from Heathrow to Bath.Blackberry wont do it. Considering covid dont want bus or train. Should I just call a taxi when there or can this be done in advance. 

thanks

Silver Fleet. We’ve used them twice from London to Southampton. Shared van with up to six people.